• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: Bounty Hunts [Interlude 4] A Raven, a Squid and a Banshee (and a Snake)

Foxtrot 813

Prettiest Member
Inactive Member
Nepleslian Space, A Commercial Space Station
Leonard Cohen - Nevermind

The concourse of the spacestation was relatively packed with people. Compared to the more ragtag independent spacestations like Halna, or the migraine-inducing sterile white of Yamataian stations like Dawn, the Nepleslian counterparts were somewhere inbetween, people with their own business moving quickly and organising what they wanted and needed, while the regular pair of GOLEM-clad marines patrolled the concourse, hands cradling their automatic rifles across their chests as they looked for any sign of trouble. Weaving between those with a clue were those looking for a clue or a score.

Two men with a clue were examining a datapad since they were in the market to grab themselves a pilot. Some back and forth had been done with someone calling themselves 'Banshee' who ran the lanes in a refitted Hoplite. Danny had spent a few evenings examining the classifieds and local grapevines for a good pilot on Desmond's orders.

"They said they've had plenty of flight hours, enough for a license anyway," The blonde pointed out on the lead he was chasing, with a photo of a person in a custom-made flight suit and helmet that made identifying them impossible, aside from the suit. "They didn't want to go planetside for a meeting though. Must've been born in space."

"That's a good sign," Desmond answered, raising the pair of sunshades he was wearing to take a good look at the 'curriculum' that was being shown to him. He knew from experience. The dark-haired Nepleslian reached for something inside the brand new leather jacket he was wearing, and grumbled something inaudible once he didn't seem to find it. "You go talk to them, I'll go interview the other one," he added. After he replenished his supply of coffin nails, of course.

"Of course," Danny replied, diverting from Desmond as he followed the trail to where he'd agreed to meet 'Banshee'. "You handle 'Screamer', and we'll stay in touch," now out of sight, Danny was talking with his comm bead. "Meet back at the Neppies on West Quadrant. Stim Burgers are on me."

Barely after that being said, Danny's datapad beeped with a new arriving message.

Code:
<Banshee> Meet me at the docks. Hangar is YK#81, I'm on my way there.
Danny's eyes flicked down to his datapad, making a satisfied "Hm!" as he now had an accurate location. Before, the instructiosn were vague, just the hangars in the North Quadrant of the station. Now it was Hangar YK#81. He tapped out a reply.
Code:
<Squid> Understood. Looking forward to the meeting.
With that, he started moving through the crowds of men and women of all sorts of different stripes, ranging from prissy Yamataians who didn't want to set foot on the planet and buy bubble gum duty free; Lorath women of different castes cruising for one of those 'real men' the Nepleslians kept saying they were; and people and aliens just trying to get on with their lives.

Soon, he crossed through the hangars in the Northern Quadrant, where the public hangars for the station were. The duo had arrived in it, and it seemed Danny was heading back from the central hub of the station. He could see flyboys and wrenchists working in garages and hangars, treating their many and varied machines like deus ex machina with fusion ramjets and a durandium hull. The blonde bounty hunter, dressed for business today with the SQUID suit obvious under a t-shirt and jacket soon came to Hangar YK#81.

"Are you kidding me? Fucking impounded!", a feminine voice shouted out as he approached the hangar, audible even amidst the sounds of heavy machinery and the dull muffled noises of too many people talking at the same time. As the bounty hunter's vision centered on the figure in front of the person-sized airlock to the designated hangar, he also noticed a second, larger one of one of the dockworkers, an ID-SOL hybrid dressed in greasy coverals, who had a nose far too large to indicate a healthy childhood.

The -comparably giant- dockworker was unmoved by the outburst of the smaller person, who by then was clearly the pilot Danny had been contacting, since she was still wearing the custom-made suit. "You can retrieve any personal effects from the hangar, but until the docking fee is paid the starfighter stays impounded there," he said, walking away from the hangar and leaving the very pissed, and clearly starfighter lacking, pilot to boil over in her own rage.

Seeing any chance of talking her way out of that, 'Banshee' simply clicked at the cold metallic deck in frustration, raising a few loose sheets of paper that hadn't been fossilized by the fine layer of dust against the metal. Still not being done, the short Nepleslian woman gave the leaving dockworker a very unkind hand gesture, paying no attention that her interviewer, and possible contractor, had arrived on the scene.

As the ID-SOL brushed past Danny with an aroma dank enough to grab from the air and roll into candles, Danny wrinkled his nose at both the dockworker and at 'Banshee', who certainly seemed to be screaming like one. His footsteps, however light managed to echo through the hangar, prompting her to turn and face the new arrival.

"Trouble in paradise, then?" Danny asked, approaching brazenly as Banshee was sorting through the paperwork she was left with. "Squid here, on behalf of the pilot job," he introduced himself, leaning against a shelf full of equipment.

It took the pilot a few moments to react, and since her face was obscured by the helmet, it left interpreting the situation a quagmire. 'Squid' was expecting an explosive reaction of some sort since it sounded like their ship was gone, but it didn't come, making him raise an eyebrow. "You?" 'Banshee finally spoke out, her arms falling by her side.

"Me?" Danny replied incredulously, still confused as he pointed to himself, blinking and wondering where he'd heard that voice before.

Seemingly realizing that her face was entirely concealed by the helmet, the pilot reached under the piece of headgear and twisted it to the side with a pop, then to the opposite, with a hiss. When the helmet was unblocked, she removed it, craddling it against her side with her right arm.

"Yeah, what are you doing here," the no longer faceless pilot said.

"Amelia?!" Danny leaned forward, positively geeking at her, face in a sturgeon-like frown as he was taken by surprise. A little too much weight went into pushing off of the shelf and its contents rattled. He put his hands up defensively now that he remembered what'd happened a few months ago. "A-a-alright listen-"

"I'm listening," Amelia replied, letting her other free hand rest against her hip. Compared to the last time they had met in Dawn, the only thing that seemed to change was that her hair was noticeably shorter, although retaining the same unkept look.

"What happened on Dawn Station's just dust in the wind," He tried to explain as his recollection of the events tried to come forth amongst the confusion, "I really was buying medicine for my job as search-and-rescue operative with - my -" In the heat of the moment, the wrong word came tumbling out: "Boyfriend."

The girl's expression shifted to something between amusement and smugness. "Yeah, I guess that was kinda obvious," she replied, then turned around to stare at the Hoplite behind her. "You're also out of luck, they just grounded my fighter," she added, seemingly a couple notches calmer than her previous outburst.

The blonde, meanwhile looked left and right, and focussed his attention on the Hoplite, then the airlock, which was projecting a hologram with a stop sign on it, and helpfully telling the occupant that their ship was impounded and if they didn't like it, to shove it up their arse. "Well then, what are our options for getting the fighter out," Danny said, eying the machinery, "let's make this worth both our whiles."

The black colored starfighter was decorated with a few orange streaks, roughly the same color of the details on her suit, while the fuselage beneath the cockpit had a distinct "Banshee" written on it, with a -unremarkable- two skulls crossed with falchions diagonally painted further down the nose. It signified one thing: Pirates.

"I was thinking of selling some of the ammo to pay the minimum to get it unimpounded," she admitted. The fees and percentages they charged in Nepleslian space were the pilot's version of sharecropping. "At least before I found another job or a better place to go. What did you have in mind?" She asked, turning her gaze from the fighter and back to the hunter.

"Hook or crook, mostly," Danny shrugged, suddenly holding some manner of PDA in his hand, having pulled it from under his jacket. "I thought inefficiency permeating day to day life was a Yamataian thing," he glibbed. "Otherwise, we could sell some of the ammo and I'd cover a bit of the cost," he stepped forward, rubbing his fingers together, "but that'd leave you in debt to my employer before we start and that's no better than being impounded."

He glanced at the PDA to look at all the errant signals through the hangar, trying to narrow down the one which handled screwing a pilot's day up with impound notices and other erroneous 'fees'. He gave the PDA a wiggle, groaning as it scanned.

"So what do you suggest?" She asked, staring at the scene unfolding in front of her with interest.

Bip bip! A signal was tracked down. "Ever go to a vending machine with a quarter on a string?" Something was telling Amelia that Danny's occupation went beyond Search and Rescue as he'd presented himself, and while she didn't answer, it was clear that she was taking the hint as her eyes visibly narrowed at the comment. "We'll do a phantom payment. The money changes hands and disappears once its in their till."

On the PDA, it was mentioning that it had found an unprotected data signal from a passer by, who was securely connected to a cafe's 'free' data signal, which in turn lead to the Station's data service, bounced back and forth between various other locations, and terminated at the Hangar's management office. "Or we can fudge some numbers, and pin it on someone who keeps..."

With morbid curiosity, he watched what his first point of contact was browsing, who'd be the pin for this. It was some form of Lorath social media network, Lazarus network. They were scrolling through pictures of spaceships and starfighter model kits. "...model kits." That last one didn't sound nearly as glib. It was hard to make that sound interesting, but by then Amelia was already cranning her neck to see what was going on the datapad's screen with morbid curiosity.

"So you're pinning the fee on somebody else?" She asked.

"Basically yeah, doing it with more than one person, skimming off of all of them with a vague fee just for breathing in a station like this," he was nodding deviously. Soon, Amelia saw lots of other devices light up. A good chunk of unsecured devices with sensitive information were highlighted as the 'donors'.

He then squinted at something. One of the donors was in the management office for the hangar. "Hey, is that...?"

"What?" Amelia asked, too caught up in the process that was happening in front of her to even question the morality what was going on. Being someone that was uncomfortable at the slight gift, stealing should have bothered her more.

"The guy you were yelling at as I walked in?" He asked. She nodded in reply.

He accessed the identification. The nose and the general unpleasantness of the person, logging every impound they'd done, right or wrong and gloating about it to friends of theirs over messages.

A smile came across his face. "What is it they say about poetic justice?"

"That it's best served cold?" Amelia replied, recognizing the face in the datapad. Suddenly, she didn't care about what was being done anymore.

"Or hot and steaming, with lots of screaming if you go that way," he added a collary as he pushed the button. Roughly two hundred people had 5 KS skimmed off of them under a vague fee listed as 'Lazarus Public Account Maintenance', totalling to 955 KS in pocket already. However, for the ID-SOL that'd scammed Amelia, they made up the difference.

"Wait, how much was your impound?" Danny asked, realising that he didn't have that number yet.

"Five kay," Amelia replied, visibly pleased with the amount that she was owing just a few moments before. The blonde's eyes went wide. He had to make the net broader, mumbling something in Lorath as he made another scan for donors, this time making it look like the station was charging additional fees for breathing.

There were plenty of those walking around, to say the least. The biggest shares of them came from the hangar staff and, in particular, their strongarm gang who enforced the impounds.

"Damn," was all the the dark-haired Nepleslian said as she continued to watch that. Turning around back to the starfighter, she saw that the hangar doors were no longer blocked with the big holo STOP sign.

"In essence, they'll be getting their money back, just very slowly through wages, or something," He said as he watched the STOP sign fizzle out and fade. "So, would you like to hear about my contractor? What I did was just what I can do with my equipment."

"Yeah, sure. We haven't even discussed wages and my fighter isn't impounded," she said, leaning back to a comfortable distance.

"You'll be hired as an official pilot to our bounty hunting crew," he detailed, now standing straight as he put the PDA away. "You'll receive a fixed wage, paid fortnightly plus a share of any bounties or missions you are involved in." He explained, businesslike as he nodded. He was a part of this deal too. "Rewards or demerits may be awarded at Captain Stroud's discretion for exceptional, or poor performance."

The most surprising thing that happened at the mention of the name was that Amelia's expression turned completely neutral at that. "Who?" She asked again, as if for confirmation.

The blonde raised his eyebrow again. "Uh, Captain Stroud." Danny repeated.

"You're joking, right?" Amelia asked, her voice slightly wavering as she a step towards the bounty hunter. Her expression had gotten serious again, as if she thought that it was all a joke by her apparent contractor.

Danny shook his head, furrowing his brow as he gave it a dab. Surely there must've been some confusion. "Wait, why would I joke to you if I got your spaceship free from the lot?"

Taking a step back, Amelia visibly tried to recompose herself, moving her head around and reaching for the collar of her suit which had suddenly become very uncomfortable. "Nothing," she said, although her expression was still the same; she just hoped that Danny would mistake that for it being her surprised at the decent contract. "It's good by me, what else?" She asked.

Something wasn't right, and Danny kept his eyebrow raised. Maybe this Amelia lady was a previous member of the Bounty Hunters, was around long enough to have heard of Desmond, or had some other kind of connection. He just had to see if he could tease it out of her instead, with a misplaced "Don't tell me - do you know Desmond too?" coming out of his mouth.

The reaction was almost instantaneous from her, and Amelia didn't immediately speak right after it too. Either that was some very fucked up way of messing with her, to show that he had some kind of leverage by knowing her family, or -and it was the most scaring prospect - that he was actually with her brother. "I don't think I do anymore," she said, which was as close to the truth as it got.

"So... are you still interested in the offer?" Danny asked, trying his best to get back to businesslike as he went from blunder to blunder. It was either his lucky day that so many stars were aligning, or a very unlucky day.

The Nepleslian girl straightened herself, adjusting the belt of her suit in the process before looking back at the Nepleslian. "Yeah, we're cool," she said, although her expression remained the same.

With the tension still hanging in the air, Danny looked about the hangar for something to put his attention onto while he fished his datapad out of his jacket. "In that case, sign here, a-and we'll call it a deal." Amelia was also given a stylus to write with, and a dotted line was blinking for a mark.

She stared at the dotted line for a few moments after picking up the proferred items with some mild surprise. "What, you're just going to hire me like that? Not even gonna get to meet the boss?" She asked.

"You already seem to know him, but okay," Danny said, letting snark creep through his voice, "lock up here before anyone realises you've been unimpounded, and I'll take you to meet Captain-" He cut himself off since it made Amelia very jumpy for some reason. "The captain, yeah."

By then, Amelia had put the heavy helmet back on. "I'm actually good to go," she said, checking the pouches around her belt for anything she could've forgotten to bring.

The blonde nodded, and the two were walking out of the hangar in the Northern Quadrant of the space station, and on their way to the proposed rendezvous point for a stim burger. Along the way, Danny tapped his Comm. Bead. "Desmond. Banshee is a go, they'll be meeting us at Neppies to sign on."

Along the way, he saw people looking about themselves, and looking at their handheld devices suspiciously. As though for a split second, something unpleasant had just flashed onto all of their screens and they didn't know what it was. "How'd Screamer go?" He added.

The communicator squeaked with static for a moment before the slightly garbled voice on the other end replied. "Guy was a bum, he was too drunk to understand what I was saying," Desmond replied.

"Banshee's got the ship and flight suit to match, for certain. Modified Hoplite, just as advertised," Danny smiled back into the comms as he moved through the central area of the space station, meandering towards Western Quadrant. "Don't you love it when there's a little honesty left in Nepleslia?"

"Let's just get this over with. This station is shit," the other bounty hunter replied. "I'm already at the Neppies, out," he added, before the commbead cut off.

When the communication cut off suddenly, Danny blinked, then sighed. He never was one for the poetics or romanticised view of things. "Tch..." he mumbled as he walked under the green N of the Neppies shop, finding Desmond sitting at a booth seat. Danny waved as he sat down on the opposite side to him, leaving a space for Banshee. "Captain Stroud, Banshee; Banshee, Stroud," he made brisk introductions. He saw Desmond get up and start to extend a hand, opening his mouth to speak until the bounty hunter just froze without saying anything.

Before Danny could inquire further into what was exactly playing out, the helmet from Amelia's custom flight suit whizzed besides his head, prompting Desmond to deflect the improvised projectile with his extended arm, and before he even had the chance to recover the smaller frame of the pilot was already upon him, before even the helmet had a chance to land back on the floor of the restaurant.

As the patrons were starting to crane their heads around to see what was the motive of the altercation, Amelia had already let out a "You shit!" escape from her lips as she seemingly tried to brain Danny's partner with her own hands. Only two of the trio knew that Desmond was her younger brother, and vice versa.

Meanwhile, a very confused third man who was watching things unfold was stunned by the sudden display of violence before mouthing a simple "what the fuck?" in Nepleslian.

The altercation continued to unfold, toppling the wooden table back on the floor as Desmond kicked the smaller pilot back up. "Amelia," he had managed to say as he got up before the aforementioned Nepleslian's gloved fist connected with his face with a dry 'smack.'

Both of them took a brief moment of respite from the fight, Amelia shaking her hand from how back it had hurt her own hand, while Desmond wiped the blood from his once-again-split upper lip as he fully got up.

"Desmond!" Danny shot back, now standing up and kneeling down between the two, prepared to grab their hands. "Amelia- for fuck's sake! Now I feel like the one in the middle of an elaborate cosmic joke!" For the first time that Desmond had seen, Danny had lost his cool, and he letting his Nepleslian stripes fly in the wind tunnel.

"Who the hell are you two?! Cuh-Clones?" He grasped at straws for an answer as someone with a phone was recording the fight looked disappointed that things were winding down. "Twins? C-cousins?!"

Desmond took a step forward, only being stopped by Danny's extended arm, while Amelia did the same; when things seemed like they were about to boil up again and explode was that the first of the two talked again. "Why did you stop talking, brother?" She suddenly asked, her voice wavering again.

To the other side, Desmond looked the same impassive himself as always with the same grimmace. "It's a long story," he started to say as he started reaching for a pocket inside his jacket again. "But I'm sorry," the bounty hunter quickly added, which seemed to make 'Banshee' deflate a little bit and back off from continuing the fight.

Then it clicked. Brother and sister. The blonde hunter's eyes widened and he looked between the siblings, backing off cautiously and letting go of them to see what happened. He was quietly monologuing his day's events, and that which had happened a few months ago. The atmosphere was still uneasy, with some of thepatrons that were still hopeful there would be a fight still watching the group while the employees of the restaurant orbited around them in case they caused any more property damage.

The two of them stared at one another for another long period of time in silence, even though it was all each one needed to unspokenly convey what it would take several words to express to one another. "How's life?" Desmond asked as he started to move and picked up the overturned table, setting it upright where it had previously been.

"Shitty like always," Amelia answered, letting out a faint laugh and brushing a strand of hair that had gotten in front of her face. She reached to pick her helmet up again and clip it to her belt.

Noticing the employees hovering around, Danny snapped his fingers to get their attention and made a simple request: "Three SuperNeppy meals, please," while holding handful of crumpled DA bills at them. "Desmond, Amelia, what do you want for drinks?"

"A beer," both of them replied while they moved to take a seat to either side of the booth.

Desmond sat down and slid to the corner against the wall, once again wiping the blood from the punch. "Nice hook," he commented, while his sister continued to rub the sore wrist under the reinforced glove.

"Phoenix energy, please," the blonde finished his order before sitting down awkwardly aside from the two. An employee took his banknotes, counted them and shrugged, walking off.

He really didn't have much to say or do about today's events, but his datapad was still resting on the table while the stylus was tucked inside of it.

The two siblings continued to stare at one another until Amelia glanced at Danny, then back to her brother. "He's alright, we can talk here," Desmond said, finally fishing out a cigarette from inside his jacket and plucking it between his lips.

"What have you been doing?" Amelia asked expectantly, interlacing her fingers on the tablet. She somehow seemed to have forgotten the slight of being shut off from talking to the only person in her family who cared for almost ten years, but instead was taking it as ten years they had to catch up.

Desmond started to light up the cigarette, flicking the lighter closed once he was done. "I can tell you, but I need you to sign that thing first," he said, nodding towards the datapad on the table.

Amelia picked up the small electronic and the stylus and quickly scribbled on the surface.

SOME TIME PASSED...
Blur - Coffee and TV

A very grumpy waiter removed the three empty dishes from the table, as well as the many empty beer bottles that had started to pile up on the center of it. The surprisingly Yamataian-looking waiter seemed like the excess of empty plates and bottles that he was cautiously building a pyramid off would fall off at any second, but when that looked as if it was about to happen the man just moved his arm to the same direction and it righted itself again.

The decreasing clattering of the dishes was a sign enough that talking was a viable option once more.

"No shit, you mean there was an actual cat that killed all those pirates?" Desmond asked after taking a sip of another bottle, while Amelia just replied with a nod.

She had spent the entire meal telling about her misadventures in Kennewes and then on Nepleslia Prime, while Desmond had only been the one nudging her on to keep going. Danny meanwhile was happy to sit back, having drunk his third can of Phoenix Energy, and somehow all he had to show for the REAL LIGHTNING that was alledged to be inside of the can was fingers drumming against the table.

"What about you?" Amelia suddenly asked Danny. "How long have the two of you been working together?"

Danny's lips made an 'ooh' as he looked over to Desmond, smiling chipperly and nodding. "Well, your brother contracted me to assist with a raid against a gang on Delsauria!" He said, nodding as he was talking with his hands, using his index fingers to indicate himself and Desmond, marching his hands across the table towards the beeramid, which elicited a suppressed giggle from Amelia. "They were the - the - ...shit, Desmond, who were they again? All fur coat, no underpants; desert motif, lots of robots?"

"The Danger Knives," Desmond chimed in. Those guys had been a pain in the ass to root out, but wiping one of the major gangs in Delsauria off the face of the planet had been well worth it. The money that entailed was also a big factor, too.

"Ruh-really? I liked it better when we called them target alpha," Danny sighed, turning his two fingers outwards, pointing at the ceiling. "Danger Knives? More like ... more like ..." He snapped his fingers on that hand that was representing himself, coming up short.

"Dork Knives?" Amelia suggested, failing to hide the smile on her face. Compared to the captain of the Fringe, that reception had been much better, and she already felt herself warming up to some of the crew.

Danny's hands banged against the table gently, but the beeramid shook and clattered threateningly, causing him to freeze, and, strangely, the SQUID suit covering his body to suddenly camouflage with the table and the booth seat. The clothes he was wearing over them did not shift colour with the rest of the suit.

"Oooooooh stone me that was close," he clicked his tongue as he slowly turned his fingers back up. "Luh-like I was saying, Desmond and I, well your brother's a badass motherfucker because," he put his hands down on the table, pinkies against the wood, "he was driving, and they were driving," he slid the pinkies of his hand across the table towards Desmond, "and it, was, mental."

Amelia glanced towards her brother, who just just took another sip of his bottle and nodded towards Danny, who made finger guns at Desmond, wiggling his index fingers at him. "Come on now, that was all you."

"Well you boarded the top of that car and diced the asshole who was driving," Desmond pointed out.

Danny's eyes widened and he tilted his head at Desmond, his left hand tapping the top of the right hand, "Wh- You make it sound so dramatic!" The blonde shook his head, now with open palms at Desmond, "I was persuading him to stop the outrider a-and we had a disagreement."

With a rising interest, Amelia had leaned forward and was listening to the tale unfold intently. "What then?" She asked.

"Uh," Danny tripped over his words as he remembered what went down, well, his version of the events anyway.

He remembered all of the SMG fire that was ripping through the interior of the Outrider from the Ripshot he was given, then tried to make a glib suggestion to the driver to pull over even though they'd been shot through the head. "It's a little difficult to be... uh, smooth with someone who has a 10x25mm transcranial lead injection, so I had to jump back to Desmond's."

He let that settle in for a bit, then added: "And his Outrider was on fire!" It may have been a stretch, but there was definitely something cooking under the hood. Desmond, on the other hand, remembered very well that the HMG on top of the outrider they were chasing had done that damaged.

"Then they crashed into an empty building on the way, and that was the end of it," her brother explained. He didn't want to go on detail about how they entered the building, took pictures of the dead gangers, and then left before the building completely caught fire. Nor did he want to explain the proccess of having to clear out the place they had raided for any valuables.

"That's intense," Amelia commented. "The two times I've had to shoot someone down wasn't even close to that. You're seeing their fighter through a screen anyway, so it's kind of like doing a sim," she added, spinning an empty beer bottle around on the table. "The other times it wasn't as easy, though," the pilot concluded.

"Still takes nerves of steel to fly one of those things though," Danny remarked, impressed by the modest kill count. To him, so much more had to go into thinking ahead when you were flying than stalking - to him, anyway. "So noisy."

"Well, it's a matter of who makes the most mistakes if it's an even fight," she started to explain, remembering her first kill. "The first one was even until the other guy tried to coax me into a nine-gee turn, which lasted for about a minute until he probably passed out," Amelia explained, since at one point the enemy fighter had stopped turning, which allowed her to get on its tail and take it down with the her fighter's main cannon.

"The second one was simpler, it was just a Scimitar." She explained with a shrug and looked away, like that was all they needed to know as Danny was counting on his fingers, reaching five before putting his palm back down and amiss for words.

"What was our final bodycount?" Danny asked Desmond. "I think the mistake at Delsauria was our enemies getting out of bed that morning."

"All in all everybody accounted for twenty something, plus a bunch of those robots," he said, glancing over at his sister. It only took him a split second to realize that she was very intently looking at him, and he didn't want to admit what his job was all about this early.

"Ruh-robots don't count!" Danny interjected, not paying attention to Amelia's stare as he put his index and middle fingers down on the table with his palm up, mimicking a person.

Then he noticed the silence that'd fallen over the conversation, and his gaze shifted gently onto Amelia. "We kill people, dear," he filled in the blank left by Desmond. He wasn't exactly thinking of the social niceties of murder for fun and profit with a head full of energy drink.

"I noticed," Amelia answered, still looking at her brother. How things had changed. Some time ago, she might have made a big deal out of that, but she too had to change her line of work out of necessity; it simply paid better to kill people.

Looking about himself, Danny realised they'd stayed at the Neppies for a quite some time now. The beeramid they'd accumulated, each of the beer tube coming up empty on the promotional scratchie under the can where you could win an all expenses paid trip to Albini, was beginning to lose novelty, and Danny decided to rearrange it by taking the top can down, then placing it by the bottom, then taking the uppermost cans down and creating a circle on the table of beer and energy drink cans.

As Danny placed the last can, an empty can of Phoenix Energy down that rattled because he had put the ring pull inside, he asked, "Did I ever tell you guys about when I met this guy before he got famous?"

He shuffled out of the booth, ready to leave and hoping the other two got the hint.

"Come on, I need to get you a room in the ship," Desmond said, fortunately getting the hint. Despite having just downed probably a dozen tall beer cans there was only a slight slur to his speech. Nodding, his sister shuffled out of the booth after him as he counted a few DA bills and set them on top of the table.

"Where is your fighter docked?" He asked her as he put the rest of the bills back on one of his pant pockets, as Danny walked beside him. "If it's on this station, you're taking it somewhere else; it's dogshit over here," he added before she could even reply.

"When?" Amelia asked, as she followed the two out of the restaurant. Once they had cleared the grease-smelling establishment she unclipped her helmet and put it back on again.

"Now," Desmond said, reaching for something inside his jacket. Once he found the cigarette pack inside he tapped the underside of it and fished a deathstick out with his lips. "Danny will send you the ship's coordinates, just take a shuttle there. You won't be using your fighter for now," he added.

Once more fully clad in her EVA-suit, Amelia just nodded, then started to make her way out. Desmond started to do the same, but there was a noticeable stagger in his step as he hesitated and turned around. "'Melia," he called out, making her turn her head around once he got her attention.

"It's good to see you again."

Danny was looking back and watching the moment, stopping when he noticed Desmond making a conscious effort to turn around and be personable. Perhaps it was an admission. He was unable to feeling the sibling connection, since he wasn't even sure if he had siblings - or parents.

When Desmond turned back around, he saw Danny's fingers against the bandage on his forehead and a tightening of his lips and eyelids as he sent Amelia the coordinates for the Iron Ferret with his other hand, which wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near this station. By then, the Nepleslian's face was back to its old, frowning self.

"Come on, there's work to do," Desmond said. His partner grumbled in reply as they walked off together.

Iron Ferret's Hangar - Planet Nepleslia - Funky City

Compared to the previous location on Dawn, the diminute hangar on Nepleslia was the same in some ways; a near perfect imitation of the planet it was in. Instead of the washed-out white metal panels, the walls and deck were replaced with an old, but sturdy shade of brown. The air that came from the ventilation ducts was only a diluted version of the ashy smell that coated the entire megacity.

The Iron Ferret blended in almost too good to that atmosphere. Formerly a pirate vessel, and formerly before that something else entirely mysterious, the vessel was well past its service life, only being kept functional through sheer ingenuity and jury-rigging. The armor plates covering the hull were pitted and scarred with scorch and rust marks, the dull thrumming of the ship's power generator had something off about its noise and, to add insult to injury, something was leaking coolant under the hull at a tickling pace.

Amelia took all that in as she walked inside the hangar. Previously serving aboard a comparably ugly ship as well, as well as having lived in them for most of her life, that didn't bother her in the slightest. What bothered the short Nepleslian girl, however, was the weight of the things she had to carry. Fully clad in her EVA suit with the exception of the helmet, she was also carrying a large duffel bag slung over her back, as well as a very full and very stuffed backpack over one of her shoulders, trying to wrestle both of them as she tried to approach the ship's loading ramp, cursing under her breath the entire way.

In the center of the cargo bay of the old ship was a bunch of crates stacked up high. On top of those was Kendra. She liked the heat, coming up from the large light in the ceiling and so she sat there every now and then, while doing some work on her Datajockey. Hearing the sound of curses, heavy breathing and loud steps, the snake-woman raised her head and looked at whoever was coming inside her ship.

The fact that the captain of Iron Ferret did not know the person, coming on board, make her raise eyebrows. That said, Desmond liked to bring newcomers every now and then. He probably just forgot to tell Kendra, or did not manage it on time.

"Well hello there," The snake-woman said and slowly slithere down the stack of boxes, draggin her long tail down after, closing in on the approaching young girl. "And who might you be?"

The sudden approach made Amelia turn around sharply, which in turn made her accidentally drop the duffelbag she was struggling to get a hold of. After muttering a quick "shit" under her breath, she turned to face the Separa'Shan, and realizing that even when standing up straight she was still a good head shorter.

"Hi, I'm the new pilot," the Nepleslian said, quickly waving her hand.

Kendra waved her hand back and moved closer to the girl to get a good look. The snake-like pupils tracked up and down on the girl, almost as if a food was being checked before the meal. The snake-lady then smiled and offered a hand for a shake.

"I am Kendra, I run this old bucket with the help of my buddy Desmond. He was probbaly the one getting you this job. Or at least I assume so." Kendra said, keeping the smile on. "How can I call you lass?"

The pilot meekly shook the extended hand, nodding as the snake-woman spoke. "I'm Amelia," she introduced herself.

"All right," Kendra nodded, she reached down and picked up the dropped duffle bag to help the girl. "Let's get you settled down. You can ditch that bulky suit, get into something comfortable and then I can show you around."

With a wave of a hand, Kendra had Amelia follow her as the snake woman headed off to the side of the cargo-bay. It was where extra cabins were set up and since several of those were freed up now, it was a place that the pilot could call her own. All the while Amelia simply examine the interior of the ship as they walked, which was in many ways identical to the last one she had been in.

The makeshift cabins were divided pretty much like office cubicles would be arranged to either side of the large cargo bay. Between these two rows of cabins, the supplies of ammo, rations and spareparts were neatly arranged, giving some space for people to walk to their rooms.

"Pick any that is free, which should be any unlocked one pretty much." Kendra explained. "it is not much, but it is a place to sleep and put our stuff."

"Okay," the pilot muttered, walking past the Separa'shan and moving to the cabin closest to the access door, which was surprisingly unlocked. She took a good look inside the room, which surpisingly managed to have a cot bed, which could double as a table, and a locker to store her belongings. She dragged her stuff inside, gave a quick look at Kendra and then closed the door behind her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few minutes later, the metal door to Amelia's new cabin opened again, and the Nepleslian soon stepped out. No longer clad in the bulky EVA suit, she had switched back to her regular, baggy clothes; the faded blue and black cargo pants, boots, black and orange jacket with the sleeves folded up to her elbows and a sweater underneath it. with her gloved hands inside the front pokets of the jacket, she looked around the cargo bay again.

"Well aren't you cute as a button?" Kendra chimmed as she saw Amelia appear again, making the Nepleslian look down in slight embarassment. The snake-lady was bored, but she waited outside patiently. "Let's take you around then. Wanna see the cockpit first, or should I take you to lounge? You look a bit thirsty to me."

"Let's take a look at the cockpit first," she suggested as she looked up again, wanting to dodge the offer to get a drink.

Kendra nodded at the girl and turned around. She slithered off, her long long tail following behind her and showing Amelia the path to follow.

"Well Cockpit is nice and cozy," Kendra said in a way of a used-car salesman. "I made sure the other pilot we have here, Jacob, kept it clean. I hate mess. He will be pretty happy to hear we got another pilot. I assume it was Desmond who hired you?"

"Yeah, it was him. Is he ever around here too much?" Amelia asked as she looked inside the cockpit. As far as she knew, it was the exact same block as the Veil, so she wouldn't need to spend a lot of time getting acquainted to it.

"Well, he is around here and now. Mostly to get a sleep or to work on the ship. He seems happies with wrench in his hands." Kendra shrugged and leaned on the doorway to cockpit. She watched the young pilot, look around. "I am sure you are going to run into him sooner or later. Why ya asking? Fancy him a bit? Would not blame you, he is pretty manly piece of work. I don't care if it does not get in the way of your jobs."

The latter comment made Amelia visibly flush. "No, nothing like that, ok?" She said, turning back from the cockpit to face the snake-woman.

Kendra grinned and kept leaned inside the doorway, effectively blocking the exit. She leaned a bit closer to the girl and kept the cheeky smile on her face.

"Oh, sure. Though, personally Des is like, the best it gets with men." She said with a laugh. "Unless you prefer ladies. Which is fine with me. Well... much more than fine."

"Can you show me the lounge now?" Amelia asked, looking away from the Separa'Shan and stuffing her hands inside her pockets again to keep herself from fidgeting.

"You are no fun," Kendra frowned and turned away, leaving the doorway. She passed the escape pod and moved to the circular hallway, leading the way to the lounge.

"Well here we are," she said, slithering her way towards the fridge. "I still did not get the stripper poles here, but that can wait. Heh. What is your poison? Beer good?" She asked, pointing at the fridge.

"Sure," Amelia agreed, smiling faintly at the stripper pole joke. She wasn't much of a drinker, and since she accept out of politeness she might as well take something that wasn't strong.

The snake-woman opened a bridge and fished out a can of beer, tossing it to the young pilot. She then fished out one for herself and made herself comfortable on one the chairs.

"You see, I get that you are not much of a talker." Kendra said and opened her beer with a hiss. "I am not a sleaze, just trying to get to know you a bit. You are going ot be in my crew and I like to know who I am working with. Got it?"

Takind that as a cue, Amelia simply nodded and opened her own can as well. Her face was still flushed red, but she managed to stare Kendra in the eye that time. "Well, what do you wanna know?" She asked, trying to strike up a conversation.

"Well," Kendra leaned back in her chair and had another sip of beer. Of course it was a good beer, the captain would not drink some swill like nepweiser-lite. "Let's start with general stuff. Where ya from, where did ya work before?"

"Well," the Nepleslian started to speak, taking a sip of her beer between her hands. "I grew up around spaceships with my family, so I was around everywhere. Before coming here I was on some other small ship, but the captain was sort of a bitch too," she continued, then shrugged slightly as if she was apologetical.

"Hah, well I guess this inquisition makes me a bit of a b-word." Kendra laughed and slapped her hipped. "So what kind of bitch was your other captain? Was she hitting on you too?"

"No, she was just..." Amelia started to say, trying to ignore the many, many advances as she tried to come up with a word. "Not good enough to be a captain, and sort of a psycho too," she added.

"Well I shall try to keep my psycho moments to the minimum." The snake said, a split tongue showing for a second between her lips, before she took another chug of beer. "Must have been pretty cool growing up on spaceships."

"It was alright, but I guess my parents didn't think so," she said, leaning her back against the wall. "when I was fifteen both me and my brother were sent away to make our own livings, though," the Nepleslian explained.

"Sounds hard, but I guess having a hard parents is better than having no parents." Kendra shrugged. "You got a brother eh? You did not stick around with him? Where he ended up?"

"Well, actually," Amelia started to say, looking back at the Separa'Shan. "He's the one that hired me," she said emphatically.

For first time, Kendra put on a bit puzzled expression on her face. Her eyes looked at Amelia, as she was putting two and two together.

"Seriously?" She then said. "Desmond is your brother?"

Amelia just nodded in reply, smiling faintly.

"Well now I get why my comment about him and you getting together got to you that much." Kendra nodded and grinned. "I mean this is nepleslian, it ain't no Lorath where brothers and sisters do hanky panky. Heh. Oh well, I am sorry about that. Still now I need to know more. You grew up with him and I crave knowledge of all the embarassing stories of him from the past."

The pilot just suppressed a laugh at that, looking down at the deck. "I suppose I could, but why don't you tell me about yourself first," she said.

"Well I guess that is only fair." The snake-woman nodded and gulped a bit of beer to freshen her throat. "I grew up among barbarians basically. At least I assume that is how most of Separa'shan culture must seem to you guys. I was in a monastery, ran away, got into trouble yadda-yadda, ran away from the planet and spend last few years in Nepleslia, scraping money in whatever way I could."

"Killing, thievery, you name it. Still I got around to try bounty-hunting, thought it was what I did, only more legal so why not? And I ended up on a flight with your brother and few other fellows. The flight got attacked by pirates so we killed them all and stole their ship. I figured that would be the way to get from down under and get my life sorted out, would not have to do all the bad shit anymore. So I became the captain, your bro is handling all the stuff and we got quite a band of bounty hunters now. Had a few succesful hits already and things are getting better. And that is basically my life story."

A simple "Damn" was all that Amelia commented before taking another gulp of her drink. She looked away from the snake-woman, and then back again as if she was unsure of what to say next. "My brother, how is he, really?" She asked when she gathered the courage to.

"Your brother? It is a bit funny with him for me." Kendra said and scratched her chin.

"Why?" Amelia asked, leaning forward with curiosity.

"Well, let me think on how to describe this." The snake replied, taking few seconds of silence to think on what to say next. "Currently for me, he is like... like a sturdy wall I can lean against, that keeps all the bad stuff away. He started with me as just some tech who knew how to shoot and not he is best damn Bounty Hunter on this team. He became leader. It was kind of amazing to watch. Me? I have people's skill I can chat with people, ask them to do stuff for me, but I ain't not warlord. Without him I would be pretty fucked. In that case he became important to me. Not in a sexy and lovely way, but more like... I don't know how to describe it."

"I just rely on him and I hope he relies on me as well in things I can help him with. Still it seems to me like he is a bit bitter and unhappy. I do not know what makes him tick, it is not sex, that one is pretty clear. He thinks, that all he needs is to be left alone, but I think it ain't that. Maybe you could help me figure this all out."

"Well, to tell you the truth, I don't know that yet either," Amelia started to say, finishing up the last of the contents of the can. "We've been apart for nine years and he's changed a lot. Did you know the reason we haven't spoken for so long was because he simply stopped answering my messages? I asked him a couple of times, now that I can talk to him again, and he just shrugs it off and doesn't answer," she continued. Having someone trying to dodge a subject like she did from time to time to others was frustrating.

"From what I see, everything takes time with Desmond." Kendra shrugged and took another sip of her beer. "Just wait few weeks, spend some time with him and then ask him again. He just takes long to get used to things and he hates talking about himself. At least I think so. He is most likely embarassed of himself, for being an arsehole who ignored his little sister for nine years."

"But I'm actually his older sister," Amelia replied with some smugness to her voice. She was still a year older, but hardly seemed to matter then.

"Oh, my bad," The snake said with a giggle. "Well either the time was very good to you, or it was very bad for him. Either way. I think it is too early to say now, how this will go. Let's just take it slowly with Desmond."

"Sure," The Nepleslian said, nodding. She looked around the room again, thinking of something else to add for some time. "You got any more of these?" She said, waving the empty can on her hand slightly.

"Fridge is stocked," Kendra said with a nod. "Knock yourself out. We actually got three chicks who take care of ship and make sure we the pantry is stocked well and all that. Just take what you want from the fridge. There is beer, vodka, some soda. There should be even some sandviches."

The raven-haired girl did so, eventually coming back with two more cans of beer. She gingerly offered one to the Separa'Shan. extending her arm, before continuing. "So what have you guys done so far? Danny only told me about something that happened once in Delsauria," she asked.

"Well," Kendra paused, finished her beers and accurately throwin the empty can into the bin, before taking the one Amelia offered to her. "I mentioned the airliner, we actually got the one we were after, well one of us did. A mean lady, that one, real pain in the arse sometimes, but she is a genius at kicking arse, so I keep her around."

"Aaaany way, yeah back on Delsauria we got hired by cops to do some nanny-work. Bandits were raiding merchants in the desert. Des took some of our peopel and joined up with mercs, who were already in a spot. I was not there for the fight, but it supposedly turned into a big bloody battle and all that. There was a drill tank and bazookas and all that."

"THen we fucked up some gangsters who thought they could fuck with us. See they knew the old owner of this ship and thought we owe them now. So we found some dirt on them, made them a target and let cops hire us to take them out. So we took those mercs we met in the desert and went there to kick buttocks."

"Desmond then did some shit on Dawn station, but that did not go anywhere. He was looking for some ex-slave chick who ran away. I was not too happy about that gig, but hey, job is a job. Anyway, the chick bolted and they never found her. Last we did was a scout job for Origin, one of their old colonies or some shit. That shit was crazy and I ain't so sure I want to talk about it right now. Too soon."

"Sorry for pressing the matter, then," Amelia answered. She couldn't help in not hiding some visible interest in those stories, since as a pilot, she most likely wouldn't be in the thick of it like that. Most of her interest, though, was in learning what her brother had been up to in all that time, which didn't account for the six or seven other years he'd been silent. "I've had my fair share of trouble too," she added, shifting her weight from one foot ot the other and feeling like she had to contribute something to the conversation.

"Oh don't worry about it. I do not mind talking about it usually. That last job needs to sink in a bit. It got a bit dark." Kendra nodded and had a big gulp of her beer to take attention of the bad stuff. Her eyes then aimed themselves at the pilot again. "Well unless it is the same for you, you can share that trouble with me. I am one big ear for troubles. It is the least I can do for my crew."

"Don't worry about it," the raven-haired girl said. "The hardest time, for me at least was the first one; the second was a little less hard. By the third time, you sort of stop caring, they're dead, and you're alive, fuck them, right?" She said, shrugging at the end.

"Sure that used to be a big bad rule for me. Caring for myself and making sure I am the one to make it out." Kendra said, looking into the can of her beer as if it held some secret answers to problems. "Nowadays, I am not so sure. Geez this is funny, I know you for like an hour and here I am pouring my heart. Are you a witch or something?"

That made Amelia look down again in slight embarassment, although that time she was also smiling. "That's on you, don't shift it on me," she said, looking up once again and taking another gulp of her drink.

"Heh, all right. That is probably true." The snake woman nodded. "By the way you wanna just fly and what not, or you want to get some dirt on your shoes every no and then. I mean I have enough people with guns, but I am not going to stand in your way if you want to get part of bounty, instead of monthly salary."

"It's alright, I think flying will be good enough for me as it is," Amelia said. "I'll be the one flying the shuttle too," she added.

"Oh we have a gunship too." Kendra said, prompting herself up realising that this might be quite exciting news for Amelia. "You ever flew one of those? It has guns missiles, all the good shit."

The news seemingly had a visible effect, as Amelia perked up. "Oh, that's good, then. I have had some experience with them lately," she said.

"Yeah I bet you can get few flight hours in it, before we leave again. Or whatever you fly-people call your practice." The snake lady nodded and finished her second beer. She was starting to feel a tiny bit tipsy by now.

Seeing that the Separa'Shan had also finished her drink, the Nepleslian nodded towards the empty can. "You want another one of those?" She asked, also shaking her empty can.

"Well it is not like I am too busy or anything. I guess I can get drunk a bit." Kendra replied setting the can on the table. Once again, the raven-haired girl disappeared into the pantry, then came back with two more of the cans, which she set down on the table before also taking a chair opposite to the snakewoman that time.

"So," she started to say, opening her can with the distinctive noise. "Did I ever tell you about the first fighter kill I got?" She asked.

"Seeing as I just met you today, no you have not." Kendra replied with a smug smirk. "But I would definitely love to hear it. Sounds like a hell of a story."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the time Amelia finished telling the story, as best as she could, there was a small pyramid of empty cans on the table. She had spent some time telling the same story she had told Danny, but had gone a lot more into the -possibly boring- details.

"And that's how I got the other guy," she said, letting both hands rest on the metal surface of the table. Her face was slightly flushed thanks to all the drinks, while her speech was a little slurred every now and then.

Kendra was listenint patiently and quietly, she actually looked quiet interested in the story, or at least she was good at faking interest. Either way, the snake lady was silent most of the time jsut asking a question here and there to clear some things out. After all Kendra herself had little knowledge about piloting.

"Well," she said afterwards. "That was one heck of a story. And here I though it was just the cats who could defy laws of physics, apparently I was told wrong. Heh. I hope at least half of that story was truth, cause I would meant I got a hell of a pilot into my crew."

"Hey, that's true!" Amelia protested. Sure, she had probably glorified some aspects of the story, thanks to the enthusiasm all the beers had given her, but it was still true. Mostly true. Probably more true than fiction.

"Hahaha, aaaahm just messing with ya," Kendra waved at Amelia as she laughed. She then poked the girl into a shoudler, with ther snakey finger. "Ya know, every story has to have a bit of colour in it! You cannot just say it how it was, than it would be top notch ride to boredomtown and nobody likes that."

"I guess," Amelia started to say, taking a gulp of her can. "You must woo all the guys with your colorful stories," she added, setting the beer down on the table a little too loudly.

"Yeah stories are good for that, but ya know...." Kendra said, grabbing har pair of nicely shaped boobies and prompting it up. "I think tits always worked better. Tho it depends if you want to find a nice one to spend time with or just someone for a quick fuck."

The Nepleslian giggled at that for some reason, but then her expression suddenly got really serious after she remembered something. "I guess I'm no good with either, then," she said somberly, spinning the half-filled can with a gloved hand.

"Hah," Kendra said and leaned forward, pointing a finger at Amelia. "Pfft, you got the goods lass. It is just about using them. I bet you could get any guy with half a brain. And you are slim and has nice legs. Tits are not anything lass. Look at me hun, I don't even have legs so you got that one over me right away. I mean I would not get anyone here without showing off my tits. You neps don't go for tail really well. Which is funny, cause I heard your men, call getting chicks as chasing tail. Well here I am and nobody really chases me. Itz funny I had more luck with chicks than dudes since I got here."

Amelia smiled with some sympathy at that. "Well I came close to being with someone some time back," she started to say, and by her expression it didn't look like it had been a good thing. "It broke off. It was for the best, you know, I gave a lot of cause," she continued to say, smiling somewhat apologetically as she thought about it. "I can be hard to live with. I don't mean to, but I can be... Critical."

Sighging, the Nepleslian continued to be reminded of the complicated relationship in question, but she kept talking nonetheless; the alcohol had the good quality of loosening her up socially like that. "Sometimes I think I'm just not good for people, you know? That it's not good for them to be around me. I wear them down, they... They get unhappy," she continued to say, but then just waved her free hand dismissively, blinking away the memories. "Sorry, I'm babbling."

"Ah don't worry about that. That is why we have beer session. Babbling is alowed." Kendra said with a smile. She leaned back against and drink a bit more beer. "You know, people tell her you are being too critical, I think they just could not get over themselves. I had similiar problem, where few guys told me I am too laidback. You know what, guys fucking do not know what they want. Either you are too cricial, or you are not critical enough."

"It just takes time to find the right guy or girl. I still have not found the one for me, but I don't really care. As long as the life is fun, that is all I care for you know. It is my own job to make it fun, and sure having a close one helps, but it can also make things worse. Ughh.. .see no it is me babbling."

Amelia smiled again at that. "Cheers to that," she said, downing the rest of her beer and grabbing another one from an almost empty twelve-pack on the table. Before opening it, she added the empty one to the small pyramid.

"Geez we really went all out, didn't we?" Kendra said and giggled. She slowed down a bit by now, savouring the beer. The snake woman did not want to get too wasted. "But I can say, this was one of the more pleasurable interviews with a new crewmembers I had."

"Thanks, you too," Amelia answered, already too inebriated to realize what she just said.

Kendra seemed very pleased with herself, watching the pyramid of cans on the table. She then looked at the drunk pilot and grinned. There was a fun idea in her mind. At first she planned on trying to get it on with Amelia, but it did not seem like a good time. Luckily the snake got another idea.

"Say you've ever shot a bow and arrow?" Kendra asked. "We got all these cans now and it seems like giant waste to just throw them into a bin."

"N-not really," the Nepleslian stammered, looking at the cans. "You have that around the ship?"

"Yup, I have one." Kendra said and gestured with her hands as if she was firing an arrow at Amelia. "It is way more silent than a pistol. One bodking arrow into guys head and he is totes dead."

"Damn," Amelia said as she took another sip of her drink.

"We can lumber down the cargo hold," Kendra continued her plan. "Grab the cans, my bow and we can... just have fun with it. I am going to make you an archer. Hehehe."

The Nepleslian almost stumbled as she hastily got up, grabbing a bunch of the cans from the pyramid as she giggled somewhat dorkly once she started to realize that she was really drunk. "Okay, I'll be waiting there," she said, making her way out of the lounge.

-------------------------------------------

ISS Iron Ferret - Shuttle Bay

Since the regular cargo bay had been too cramped with the cabins, and most importantly the cargo, Amelia had elected to pick the mostly empty improvised shuttle bay instead. Since there was no shuttle, it left the place as a pretty big and pretty empty room, with the exception of the few maintenance tools around there.

The raven-haired pilot had dragged a long metal crate to the middle of the room, and lined up some of the empty cans neatly in a row in front of it. Once she had finished her work of art, she moved to the opposite wall from that and sat on the floor, opening another beer can and taking a sip of it as she waited for the Separa'Shan to show up.

And snake lady did show up. Swaying from side to side, quiet obviously effected by he alcohol. In one hand she held a recurve bow of obviously good quality, with a quiver filled with arrows over her shoulder. In her other hands was a bottle of clear liquid.

"I'm here sunshine," Kendra said with happy grin waving at Amelia with the bottle. After all it was too early to stop drinking. Slowly, the Nepleslian got up, using both of her hands to support herself as she propped up.

She first stared at the recurved bow, then at the bottle with the liquid inside. For some reason she didn't think it was water. "What's in there?" she asked.

"No idea," Kendra replied, setting up the bow on the box. "I just opened it and it smelled like alcohol. Probably a gin or vodka. I am at state that I do not really care. Anyway put this on." Kendra handed Amelia a leather bracer, which she held with both hands. "You left-handed or right-handed?"

"Right handed," the Nepleslian replied.

"Yeaaaah, then put it on your left hand. It is so the bowstring won't cut your forearm upon release." Kendra explained and took the bow back into her hand, waiting for Amelia to put on the bracer, which was pretty fast, all things considered.

"Ready."

"Right," the snake lady said and drew one of her arrows. She slithere next to Amelia. "Ya grab the bow with your left hand. Now there are two ways to pull the bowstring. First is the one, you have probably seen in all the fucktard movies and shows. Where they put the arrow between fore-finger and middle-finger?"

Amelia nodded in reply at that. She had seend that a couple of times on the movie reels.

"That is fine for target-shooting and practice. If you want to just have fun. But I am going to teach you how to do it properly. I grab the arrow between my thumb and my forefinger. That is a tiny bit tougher to do, but if practiced it is faster and you also lessen the chance to fuck and touch the string upon release."

As kendra talked she showcased what she meant. She grabbed the bow with her left hand and put the arrow on top off it, grabbed the noc of the arrow and put it against the string. All very slowly so Amelia could see properly. Then she partially pulled the bow-string back to show how it worked.

"All right, here try it." Kendra said, and handed the bow and arrow to Amelia. The Nepleslian tried to replicate the same position and motions as the Separa'Shan. She started to pull back on the string, but accidentally let go of the arrow, which caused the tensed string to move at nothing and brush the leather bracer on her left arm.

"Sorry," Amelia muttered, leaning down on the floor to recover the arrow. Trying for the second time, she started pulling onto the string again until her arm couldn't draw it back any longer, and her hands started to shake from the strain. "Like this?" She asked through a strained voice.

"Yeah, yeah. Sorry this bow is a bit strong, I will need to get you a practice one in future. This is a warbow after all." Kendra said and moved closer to Amelia. The snake-lady pressed herself to the young nepleslia and corrected her posture, making the girl yelp in surprise for a bit. "See now you use your left hand to aim. For now, think of it just like pointing a finger. Arrow is nice and long so it forms a nice line for your aiming. Also don't put your face too close to the string, unless you want a bruise. When you are done aiming, just release the arrow."

"Okay!" Amelia managed to say before she finally let go of the arrow, firing it. She watched drunkenly as the projectile few, thankfully, at the direction of the cans, but only managed to hit the metal box and bounce off it harmlessly. "Damn," she managed to mutter.

"Ah don't worry about that. You are drunk and it is your first time." Kendra said and drew another arrong from the quiver. She slowly handed it to Amelia, still keeping close by. She placed the hand on the girls back and straightened it. "You got to be firm, stand still. Also before you release, breath out and hold your breath. It will help you be more stead. Forgot to tell you that before. All right give it another go."

Once again, Amelia did what was instructed, keeping her back straight and breathind out just before firing. Instead of hitting the crate like before, her arrow instead sailed right over it and bounced off the metal deck of the room, making her grumble something under her breath.

"Don't worry, keep going." Kendra said and she leaned in to check if angle between the arrow and Amelia's eye was all right. She also handed Amelia anoher arrow. "It takes a bit of time honey. And we are shooting pretty small targets too. So do not worry abou it and just keep firing. It is like sex, first time kind sucks, but than it gets better."

Amelia just nodded at that until the last comment, which made her blush visibly. Not wanting the snakewoman to see it, though, she just looked straight ahead at the targets and pulled on the string again.

"There you go," Kendra said, putting her hands on Amelia sides to steady her. Her face close next to Amelia's. The snake leaned even closer in. "Now. breather out. And gently.... release." Last words whispered into the young nepleslians ear. Doing as she was told, Amelia fired the bow, except that time one of the arrows knocked off a can at the top of the crate. It hadn't exactly hit it, more like simply brushed off the empty can, but it had been knocled down nonetheless.

The effect on the Nepleslian girl was instantaneous, though. A big, toothy grin appeared on her face, turning her face towards the Separa'Shan as if looking for her approval.

Kendra smiled back at the girl. She was pretty happy that her teaching went somewhere. Only then she realised how close she was to the other girl, her smiles only inches from each other. The snake-like black slits in the yellow eyes looked deep into the dark brown eyes of the young nepleslian. And then Kendra froze unsure if she should make a move or not.

The Nepleslian also seemed to notice that, but instead of turning back around she matched the snakewoman's stare.

Kendra remained completely still for a moment, which seemed like an eternity, before slowly moving her head forward. her thin pinkish lips brushing against Amelia's, giving the Nepleslian enough time to move back if it would be unwelcomed. Instead of doing that, the shorter girl just leaned into it, standing on her tiptoes as her lips locked with the other, taller woman.

As the lips locked the kiss was sealed, Kendra happy to see what happend. The snake kissed the girl, and turned to face her. Kendra's hands wrapped around Amelia and drew her into a hug as they kissed. The Nepleslian, feeling the arms wrap around her, did the same, letting her hands rest on the Separa'Shan's waist, and letting the bow fall and clatter against the metal deck in the process.

Kendra let the moment go, she did not want to end it anytime soon. Her hands carefuly held on the back of the nepleslian, drawing her closer. There was no need to go any further, the kiss was nice enough.

Unfortunately, every good thing had to come to an end, and eventually Amelia was the one to break off from the kiss. She didn't say a thing at first, instead only staring at the snakewoman while the otherwise pale skin of her face had become visibly more flushed than before. "I, uh," she started to say.

Kendra was a little bit less unneasy in the situation. She pressed her forehead against Amelia's. The snake made a bit shy smile as she kept looking into the girls eyes.

"Well," Kendra whispered, still catching her breath from long kiss. "This was... a bit unexpected. But... not unwelcomed. I... uh... are you okay?"

"I am," Amelia managed to say, trying to match back the smile. She was trying her best not to make the whole thing a great blunder, or say something awkward again. "I- that was good, thank you," she managed to add.

"Yeah uh..." Kendra blabbered, trying to find the words. She finally let go of the girl and increased a distance somewhat, but leaving her hands firmly upon the nepleslian upper arms. She wanted to show, that it was not just some fling to her. "I.. uh.. liked it... a lot and this is not all the beer talking."

The comment only made her blush further, to the point where her entire face was almost as red as a pepper. "So," Amelia started to say, trying to regain some composure but failing. "Wha- I mean, I don't think I'm in any condition to shoot anymore," she said.

"Heh.. yeah," Kendra replied. Stil holding on the girl, as if she was afraid that Amelia might run away. "I do not think I am in any condition to teach anymore too."

Kendra than went a bit silent for a while. She looked at Amelia and then looked down, a bit shy, because of what she was about to say. It was a bit new to Kendra after all, trying for a bit more than just some fun. But here she was ready to give it a try.

"So.... eh... you know." Kendra started awkwardly. "I know we just met, but... I kind of think I like you enough. So... you know. I could use someone critical in my life and I uh.. wonder if you wanna try having someone laidback around you..."

Amelia just smiled for a while. That was the second time someone said that to her, but the effect was all the same. She usually tried to steer away from making snap decisions, but sometimes she just couldn't help it, so instead of answering it, it was her time to do something, reching for the back of the Separa'Shan's head and pulling her down again for a second kiss.

Kendra did not fight back as she felt fingers wrapping around her head and pulling her into another kiss. She just smiled, before the lips touched again. Happy again.

Last edited:
ISS Iron Ferret - Captain's Cabin - next day

Kendra opened her eyes, her snake-like eye slits looked around as she yawned. She felt a bit of a thump behind her forehead from all the alcohol consumed the previous day. Oh yesterday. What a day, started so normal and ended so strangely. It was strange, but also good.

Kendra was in her room, laying on top of an army of pillows and her eyes set on her companion sleeping next to her. The snake-woman smiled as she watched the sleeping girl. Kendra still could not belive it. Yesterday evening felt more like a dream, but here she was in her nest with Amelia next to her. If it was a dream, Kendra did not want to wake up.

Kendra felt warm and it was not just because of how hot her room was set up to be. It was because of happiness. The snake leaned closer to the sleeping beauty next to her and softly brushed some of the raven-coloured hair from the nepleslian girl's face to get a better look. The gesture made the girl in question shudder and groan, stirring as she woke up from the touch, even though she didn't open her eyes.

"My head," Amelia managed to say, squinting her eyes closed harder; her head was pounding like a jackhammer, and even though she barely had her bearings straight. The Nepleslian pressed her face against the soft pillows underneath.

"Morning sleeping beauty," Kendra said softly and leaned in, giving Amelia a kiss on her forehead. She then leaned to the panel on the wall and dimmed the lights in the room. "I softened the lights, should be all right now. We should not drink so much on our next date."

Amelia smiled at that, finally opening one eye. The temperature in the room made her body glisten with sweat, which was a fact that she had slowly becoming aware of. She wondered how that was possible, even without any clothes on; which soon became something else she became very aware of. "I- did we- I mean," she started to say.

"Well.... we did...." Kendra said with a bit of worriment in her voice. She was not sure if that was a bad thing for Amelia or just a new thing. Maybe it was the first time for the girl with another woman. Not to mention Kendra was not exactly normal goods for nepleslians. The snake-woman just hoped this would not ruin things. "I.. uh... is it a bad thing?"

The Nepleslian realized a moment too late what she had just said. 'Don't fuck this up, don't fuck this up,' she kept thinking as she thought about what to say next, turning her head back to face Kendra. "It was... Better than I thought these things would be," she managed to stammer, her face once again becoming red in the dim light.

Kendra smiled happily at Amelia. It seemed this thing might work out after all. "And I plan for it all to get even better." Kendra said and softly leaned in, putting one of her hands on Amelia's thigh. The snake-lady drew closer and kissed the nepleslian girl, who at first was surprised by the sudden gesture of affection, opening her eyes wide. Eventually, those same eyes closed once again and she returned the kiss, one hand darting over to the snake-woman's hip.

Kendra prolonged the kiss, letting it got for several moments before finally drawing back and catching her breath. She smiled at the girl. "See, that was not so bad right?" The snake-woman said playfully, and Amelia just smiled in reply, resting her head against the Separa'Shan's shoulder. The snake-woman did not say anything more and just started brushing Amelia's chaotic hair with her fingers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

ISS Iron Ferret - Main Hallway

Walking around, without the SQUID suit on, and wearing something casual for around the ship for a change, Danny was looking at the corners of the main hallway - where the carpet ended and a couple of inches of metal on the floor began. Glittering in those corners appeared to be snake's scales. Loose ones, large ones, left behind by something which had the hunter's face contort into a sturgeonesque gurn, eyes wide as though he was caught with his pants down in front of a live audience and the applause sign was flashing.

"Desmond," Danny asked, peeking his head into the port-side cargo bay, "do you have a, uh, does Amelia have a - a pet snake or something?" It wasn't like him to hesitate in day-to-day conversation, too.

The bounty hunter in question looked back at the entryway. He was also wearing civilian clothes, having surprisingly stopped using the full set of armor he wore all the time to get used to the weight. His simple attires consisted of a white t-shirt and baggy cargo pants tucked into the usual boots.

He had been in the middle of setting everything back in order on the cargo bay, since someone on the last day had decided to do target practice on a few beer cans with a bow. "Why?" He asked, picking the bow in question as well as a discarded leather bracer that probably went with it.

The blonde looked aside and back into the hall before turning his attention back to Desmond. "There seem to be, uh, big scales in the hallway, in the... corners."

"I see," Desmond replied, still examining the two items on his hands. "Listen, I need you to return these to the captain of the ship," he started to say, extending one arm with both the bow and the bracer. "And then tell her to set up a day this week for a briefing about the next job, too, I need to fetch something" he added.

Taking the bow in one hand and the bracer in the other, Danny examined the two. He wasn't aware that there was an archer on the ship. He did remember seeing someone carrying the bow, but it wasn't clicking at the time. "Sure, boss," Danny replied as he gently tugged the bowstring - lots of draw power in it, whoever used it must've been strong. "Room on the left in the lounge, right?"

"Yeah," Desmond said, stuffing both hands inside the pockets of his pants and walking down the cargo ramp and off the ship, disappearing from sight into the hangar and then into the sprawling megalopolis. Left clutching the bow and the brace, the blonde tiptoed to the Starboard side of the ship, and into the lounge. Walking between the couch that faced the television and just behind the table where people sat at to trade beers and jokes, Danny saw the way in. He raised his fist to knock on the door, hand trembling a little when he noticed more snake scales in the corner, and gave three solid raps.

The doors casually slid away as Danny nocked, as someone forgot to lock them up the other night. Suddenly the room was in full view. It was a very colourful rooom, with drapes on the walls, carpet on the floor and pillows covering most of the room. But above all in the nest of pillows were two women. One was Amelia -seemingly fast asleep andalready known to Danny, the ther was a Separa'shan. And both were naked.

A silence hung in the air between the Separa'shan and Danny so thick you could trip over it. The bow in his hands was now shaking, the sound of the string and the stave rattling together as the brace fell on the floor. To say the least, there hadn't been a formal introduction.

The snake might've seen the blonde under a layer of altex back at Delsauria in the briefing room, but she wouldn't have recognised his blonde hair, blue eyes, and currently horrified expression at what was before him.

Kendra's eyes pierced Danny. A certain stoic look hidden behind them. She than looked at Amelia, before frowning at Danny again. Then she sighed and sat up on the back of her tail, where the tush would be normally on a nepleslian woman. That of course also had the unfortunante consequance of letting Danny see pretty much everything Kendra had to offer.

"Whoever you are," Kendra whispered. "Bow in, you out. And wait there!" A firm commanding voice ordered Danny.

The Nepleslian was frozen in place for a moment, still gawping like a stunned fish before placing the bow down on the cushions through the threshold of the door. As he was bent down, he grabbed the leather brace and tossed it beside the bow, then stood up and made a robotic one hundred and eighty degree turn. Kendra could see the colour in his face completely drained by now.

Kendra slowly raised herself and made her way towards the doorway. She grabbed the bow and unhooked the string. It was bad for the bow to be kept strung for a long time. She then set it into the corner and put the bracer next to it.

The snake-woman turned to look at sleeping Amelia and sighed. She wanted to spend more time in the room, just watching and maybe catching a nice nap as well. Still someone had to interfere, even though it was not exactly that person's mistake. Still it would not be Kendra, if she would not chew him out for it a bit.

The snake grabbed a tank-top from one of the cupboard by the wall and slithered towards the doorway, where Danny was standing. The snake-woman slithered through the doorway and closed it behind herself, setting it to privacy setting. Amelia did not need to even know this happened.

Danny, meanwhile was not immediately obvious in the lounge. However, his fear betrayed him and Kendra could hear chattering teeth coming from the couch that faced the television. He was lying as still as he could, trying to squish himself into the crease between the cushions at the front of the couch, and at the back. Kendra could smell fear.

Smell it she did as she moved closer to the couch, appearing above the back-rest and looking down on Danny. Her snake-like eye slits locked down on the blonde man. She still did not put the tank-top against once again, Danny could see things. Her mouth opened slightly and he could see her tongue for fraction of a moment, which was a strange mix between human one and snake one.

Danny really didn't need to see the forked tongue, now backing away from trying to squeeze into the couch, and shuffling up, away from her. His whole body was shivering as he looked about the room. He still hadn't said a word, and Kendra didn't know his name. But, she had heard of him through chatter and correspondence with Desmond. "No, no, no, no..." he could be heard muttering softly.

He hadn't even said hello - but he did return something that belonged to her.

Kendra's eyes kept locked at the man, as she continued to watch him silently. It was clear he was fairly afraid of her. She was not exactly sure why. Meanwhile, she kept thinking who this was. It must have been one of the new Bounty Hunters that Desmond mentioned. There was some guy with golden skin and this was obviously not him.

The lean figure and blonde hair, meant this had to be the other guy. Kendra even remembered that he was with them in the assault on Danger Knives back on Delsauria. Kendra could not remember his name though.

"Fucking calm down," she finally said. "I am not going to eat you or anything. I should fucking punch you just to keep face, but if you had a black eye, Amelia might start asking questions and she does not have to know you've seen her naked."

Oddly enough, Danny had seen something to that effect when he was rifling through someone's possessions on the Concordia Veil, but he didn't know whose they were. That whole incident was dust in the wind, now. He looked up from his defensive position and looked at Kendra in the eyes. It seemed he was prepared to start talking, clearing his throat. "Hi." He introduced himself. "You're... the captain." It was as if he was telling himself that this was the case.

"That I am," Kendra replied. Her voice was strong and it hinted a bit on the anger that she felt. Still she kept herself calm. Finally she grabbed that tank-top and put it on, hiding her breasts. "and you are... Darryl? Daniel? Sorry, don't remember your name. Desmond mentioned you I think."

"Danny," he filled the blank, letting one of his legs relax and slide down the couch, arm still wrapped about his other leg. There was still tension in his posture, but the worst of it seemed to have come and gone. "Search and Rescue specialist," the blonde gave his role and occupation.

"Right," Kendra said, still watching the man. She pushed her arms throught tank-tops straps and finally seemed to at least partially clothed. She than leaned on her elbows against the back-rest of the couch.

"So this was awkward, but at least you got a good look at nice pair of tits eh? Just don't talk about it or I will break you. Okay?" She said with sudden friendly tone, a tone that she usually used. Danny put his index finger and thumb together, and passed them across his pursed lips.

"Good," Kendra nodded. "And you have not seen Amelia in there too. I am not sure what she wants to do with this, so until I talk to her, you did not see us together. Now... I at least have chance to get to know you. Tell me, can you make waffles?"

"I." Danny asked, tilting his head quizically. "I beg your pardon?" His accent was somewhere between Nepleslian, Yamataian and Lorath, blending together in the middle since he'd moved around those areas a lot prior to meeting with the hunters. He looked over to the galley from over the back of the couch.

He knew there was a waffle iron in there.

"It is morning. I am hungry." Kendra explained casually. "I forgot to buy mice yesterday so I have to eat some of your food. And I like waffles. I figure you owe me for ogling my tits, so you can make me waffles as apology."

"Waffles it is, then." Danny echoed as he stood up and cast his gaze on the floor to make sure he didn't step on her tail and risk any further humiliation or retribution. He walked past the tables and into the galley, pulling the fridge open and looking through the larder for ingredients.

From memory, it was two eggs, two cups of flour, three quarters a cup of milk, half a cup of vegetable oil, a tablespoon of sugar, four teaspoons of baking powder, and to balance the taste out, one quarter of a teaspoon of salt. He had to wonder if those would even be around, but since Kendra mentioned it, they probably were.

Kendra meanwhile left the couch area and slithered to the table, sitting on one of the chairs. She rolled her tail around and watched Danny as he worked.

"Sooooooo search and rescue specialist?" Kendra repeated Danny's specialisation. "Not sure how much rescuing will be done in this job, but we do a lot of searching. I also hear you are not bad with a gun either."

Remembering his flukes with the Ripshot, he was inclined to agree with the assessment as he whisked a waffle mixture together. "I know how to handle a gun, a sword, and medical equipment." He stated plainly. "In this particular line of work, the three together are as valuable as recon."

"Swords eh?" Kendra replied with a grin. The man seemed to know his stuff. If Desmond liked to work with him, then he had to be good. "I prefer knives myself. More easy to hide, quick and can be as deadly."

"They're useful as tools." Danny conceded, plugging the waffle iron into the wall to let it start heating up. He looked behind himself back to Kendra before looking back into his mix, adding some vanilla essence for extra taste. "But there is something satisfying about cutting through something clean diagonally."

He dipped a pinky into the now complete mixture, and put it in his mouth. "Hn. Not bad," he mumbled before continuing "never could figure out what it was, exactly." Waffle iron still had to heat up though.

"Careful there lad," Kendra said, pointing up her fore-finger and moving it form side to side in a negative gesture. "Don't get addicted to killing. That leads to bad end. I met few people like that and they all ended up dead or worse. It is okay to take satisfaction from being good at what you do, but do not take satisfaction from taking someone's life in a cool way."

"I have been trained to take people down non-lethally, and I have all the tools to do so," he conceded as the waffle iron made a dinging noise. He opened the iron and brushed the inside with the oil, "but I don't always have that luxury, nor do our enemies do the sensible thing."

"Besides, what I cut in half was one of those gun robots back at Delsauria." And he did for a couple, but there were personnel kills in that building he didn't discuss. He grabbed a ladel and filled it with waffle mix, opening the iron. "It was like seeing a cross section of the robot."

He poured the waffle mixture into the iron, making a brief sizzle before he closed the lid, pressing down on the handles and releasing a hiss as the waffle was baked.

"That is all good and nice," Kendra continued with sharing perhaps unwanted wisdom. "But take not that in this line of work we sooner or later, always end up killing people. Now I am all for trying to keep the targets alive, but as you said they do stupid things and so sometimes we have to stop them in any way necessary."

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver, zipties are ... transparent white plastic, or black plastic." Danny tried to be glib, but it simply didn't come out right. What did come out right however was the first waffle, plated up once the iron was open and he pried it out with a kitchen knife. The waffle, like silence, was also golden. "You get the idea."

"Do not worry," The she-snake said with a smile. "I bet everyone in this line of work saw and lived through things that they would rather not. I sure did, Desmond did and I assume you did as well. If nothing else from what I can hear, your life made you travel a lot and that usually does not sound good. Yamatai, Nepleslia, Lor. Those are all pretty distant spots."

"I stopped by Gartaga and Iroma too," he said as he pressed another waffle, "but the food was too... spicy." He did know how to call someone's mother some very untoward phrases in both their languages though. Next waffle done, and it was on the plate. Golden and delicious looking. He started opening pantries, looking for something. "Any syrup around here or...?"

"There should a can of whipped cream in the fridge." Kendra said as she waited for her breakfast. Nepleslian food was a big troublesome for her, but she liked some of it. "Don't know where syrup is, I don't use that. Anyway, Iroma eh? I did not know they let tourists there. Or was it work related? How was the goat-land?"

The blonde hovered over to the fridge as the third waffle was baking, and found the can, shaking it a little before placing it on the bench. "Oh, I ended up there by mistake. See, back then I was a stowaway for travel. I don't have any bank accounts or identification."

He never knew why though, but the answer was hiding under a band-aid on his forehead. "So I kinda went from place to place before settling down in Nepleslia, finding sponsorship via jobs, and then the training I needed to do my job."

"That sounded pretty risky." The snake woman replied and leaned on her elbow on the table, watching the blonde man making Waffles. "I hear that goats mindwipe people who do crimes or somthing. They just take you and brainwash you into someone other who is nice. Bunch of bullcrap if you ask me. That is worse than being hanged or shot in my opinion. I cannot see a nation that would choose this as their capital punishment."

Once four waffles were together on one plate, and topped with a dollop of whipped cream, Danny turned around, walking over to the table and placing them down, then placing a plate for himself with one waffle on it, no cream. "I already can't remember having any parents, any extended family, or any previous legal name, tender, or property."

As he was rubbing his brow and forehead from the heat of the waffle iron, Kendra noticed it - the bandaid that stayed just under his hairline, at the top of his forehead, and usually concealed by his thick hair. "Dunno what else they could take, but I'd rather not think about it."

"Sorry for bringing that up," Kendra replied with a gentle sad smile. She looked at her plate and the one in front of Danny. "You not much of an eater or something? I am starting to feel strange now, making you do this for me and you are not even having proper waffles yourself."

"Already ate," he said, using his fork to cut the waffle's corner off, then repeating it for each corner on the square waffle. "So, Kendra, was it?" he looked up at her. He was noticeably calmer around her, maybe making breakfast took his mind off of things. Part of him still seemed alert though - fear had only dissolved into mere caution.

Kendra drew her plate closer and smelled the freshly baked waffles. She grabbed a fork and smiled at Danny. "Hmm smells great."

"Oh yeah, sorry. The morning shenanigans made me forgot to introduce myself." She apologised to the blonde man. "Yeah I am Kendra. Kendra Galanis by full name and few associates before I became Bounty Hunter called me Boa. They thought they were all funny."

"Danny. Danny Hanley-Lewis," he said. It was the only name he could think of when he was alive again, and it stuck when he was press ganged by the Reds all those years ago. He took a bite of the waffle - not bad at all, quite warm and crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside. "SQUID, too, after the suit."

"Squid is not very healthy nickname in these parts," Kendra replied and finally digged into her waffle. Cutting a piece with her fork and stuffing it in her mouth. Chewing it though was a bit of a work, as Kendra did not have a proper set of teeth for chewing. It was a lengthy process, although with waffles it was not that bad. Meat for example was pretty much unchewable for her.

"It has merits, considering I can spew smoke everywhere when I'm wearing it, and I can see through it without trouble," he said after taking another mouthful of waffle. The trick definitely saved him before on Delsauria. "Shame it makes my body look different," he looked aside, unsure of whether to be embarrassed of the feature's side effect.

"Well I more meant that name squid remind locals of NMX. So if you get called a squid in a pub or introduce yourself as squid, you are bound to get few angry locals after your hide." Kendra said and prepared another bite of waffle for chewing. "By the way these are great. Also what do you mena, it makes your body look different? It makes you super buff or something? Is it some kind of power armour?"

He looked aside again. Danny seemed to be avoiding it now that he'd bought it up. "It's a specialised suit of Altex. It can change colour, texture, and gloss too, so its great for camouflage. Not terribly bulletproof though, but there are hardened plates on it where it counts."

As half of his waffle was gone, he mused on another name. "Perhaps cuttlefish would be a better name, but that doesn't have the same ring to it..."

"Still better than being called Farter or something, if main feature of your suit is releasing smoke." Kendra giggled and proceeded to destroy another piece of waffle. "Well still, chaning your texture won't make you body look different. I see you trying to change the subject. That tells me that the suit makes you probably look silly and now I need to know even more."

He shook his head at her, instead focussing on eating the rest of his waffle, grimacing between bites.

Kendra only grinned knowing all too well that she would see it sooner or later. Content with that knowledge she focused on the meal. As that happened, the panel next to the the door leading to Kendra's cabin beeped as someone turned off the privacy mode, then opened it.

Amelia stepped out of the room, brushing the panel next to her and making the door slide closed with a hiss and click. She hadn't bothered to put on all of her clothes, and instead just bothered to put on a t-shirt, which was stamped with a cartoonish dog face on the front and that seemed to be several sizes larger, on top of her usual cargo pants. She hadn't even bothered to tuck them inside her boots either.

The Nepleslian girl seemed to be about to say something, until she spotted Kendra and Danny talking, and then realized that she had just left Kendra's room. "I-I couldn't find the thing I was looking for, sorry," she explained, trying to hide what had just happened. The fact that her hair was even more messy than usual didn't help her case either, nor did the ramshackle state her clothes were in.

"That is quite all right hun," Kendra said and smiled, noticing that Amelia already borrowed one of her shirts. The snake-woman, was of course, entirely okay with that. "Come sit with me, Squid made us waffles!" Exercising discretion, Danny just waved back to them.

"There's more mixture in the kitchen," Danny said as he kept his gaze off of Amelia directly, insted focussing on what was left on the waffle. He remembered he had something to tell Kendra about. "Oh, that's right. Kendra," he looked up from his food, "Desmond wants a meeting organised some time this week regarding the next job."

"Yeah, yeah I will look into it," Kander waved Danny off. She did not want to care about that right now. Instead she looked at Amelia. "Well Danny can make us more, or if you would like we can share mine."

"I'm alright," Amelia replied, sitting down on the table and crossing her arms on top of the surface. She leaned her head against them sideways, looking at Kendra and smiling faintly. "Not really hungry by the morning," she said.

Hm. Can't imagine why, the blonde mused quietly as they ate the remainder of their lone waffle, leaving their fork and the crumbs on the plate.

"Suit yourself, cause these are delicious." Kendra said with a grin and ate another piece of cream covered waffle. As usual it take her quite a while to 'chew' it. "Would you like something else then? I could brew a pot of coffee?"

"I'm fine, really," Amelia said. In truth, she knew that if she had anything other than water right then it would just come straight back out because of the hangover she was experiencing. With some effort, the girl raised her head and stared at Danny. "How's my brother?" She asked.

"Out fetching supplies, grumpy as usual," the blonde shrugged, looking over to Amelia lazily to keep his mind off of watching Kendra 'chewing', "I think he didn't appreciate the mess in the cargo bay."

"Yeah uh... I'll go clean it up after breakfast and shower." The snake lady said with apologetic voice. She laughed in a bit embarassed way and looked at Amelia. "We... got a bit drunk.. and as usual, when you are drunk you get the best ideas ever. So we figured that shooting a bow at that point was the best thing to do. Oh well." Danny tapped a finger against his temple as he listened to the Separa'shan while he gauged Amelia's response to what could've gone down last night.

"Y-yeah. That was all my fault," the Nepleslian stammered, her face flushing slightly as she remembered what had happened, looking around the room as she tried to slink away from the conversation.

"Psssh, no one was at fault." Kendra shook her head and pushed off the empty plate, her waffles already finished. "Think of it as a welcome party to this crew hun. And in any way I am not sorry for yesterday. All of it was worth it. I am in fact glad." That made Amelia bite her lower lip and blush further, glancing at Danny quickly.

Danny raised an eyebrow. He knew what was going on, but pretended not to know. Given Kendra's flamboyance and demeanour, it probably wouldn't have been hard to put two and two together, but he had this particularly cute way of feigning ignorance. "I'll... pass on a welcome party, Kendra. Desmond's been more than welcoming."

If welcoming involved beating the snot out of each other between planning further missions, then yes - Danny was definitely welcomed.

The Nepleslian leaned her head down against her crossed arms on the table again, trying to nurse the pounding headache she felt. "That's good, he has been acting very distant to me lately. Was it always like that?" she asked.

Kendra had a funny quip to say to Danny, but seeing as Amelia asked a pretty serious question, she decided to leave it. Instead she moved her hand and let her fingers run throught Amelia's hair, ruffling it a bit playfully, deciding to leave Danny with an answer. For now. The open gesture of affection made the girl smile, albeit uncomfortably. She hoped it didn't look too obvious.

Danny looked at the space between the two, eyes remaining away from either of them. "I've only been here for a few months," he admitted first, to put what he was about to say next into context, "he always has been sparse on the emotion." His gaze travelled to Amelia, "I reckon the grisly parts of the job do that to you."

"I guess," the Nepleslian agreed, then said nothing more. Though, Danny had seen flashes of emotion from his employer - but only when he had a machete buried in their torso. For Amelia's sake, he wasn't going to divulge any more.

"Yeah," Danny agreed, nodding solemnly, "yeah."

"Actually," Kendra bumped into the conversation. "He was even more withdrawn when I met him. He hardly talked and generally just shrugged at everything. I think when I made him my right hand man and he had to deal with stuff. I think becoming a bit busy might have helped a bit. He is still a bit of a loner though. I guess some people are like that."

"I can understand that," Amelia started to say. She was like that herself, but when it came to her brother Desmond was criminally antisocial. "It was really funny going up with him - in a way, but I guess people just change," she continued, but then fell quiet.

"The way I see it," the snake continued, happily playing with Amelia's hair, making a hair-rings and ruffling the skin of the girl's head. "He just needs to find a lady. I mean... I am not saying everyone needs a partner, I just feel that Desmond could use a lady. Or eh... a bloke if he prefers that. I think having someone so close to him, might help him open up a bit."

Danny then conceded, seeing Kendra's point of view. It made sense that she knew more about how the merc ticked. "I enjoy his company professionally, though we don't have much in common. He doesn't read much, but he... definitely doesn't enjoy yoga."

Amelia started to giggle at that, but she was cut off in the process as the door the lounge opened, revealing Desmond standing on the other end. The bounty hunter stared at the trio for a while, which made Amelia sit up, moving away from kendra's hand as her brother walked inside the lounge and moved towards the pantry, where he disappeared from sight from them.

Kendra kept her poker face, leaning against the table as if nothing was going on. She smiled at Desmond and patted the table for them join up.

"Hey there Des," she greeted him with a smile. "Did ya know that Danny can make kickarse waffles?"

Desmond grunted something in reply as he emerged back from the pantry holding a mug of something steaming inside. "Did Danny talk to you about the briefing?" He asked, changing the subject. The blonde in question looked aside to Kendra, letting her answer that one.

"Of course he did," Kendra replied, her voice awfully cheerful. She realised, that Amelia might want to hid what happened yesterday so it was easier to play it as if nothing happened for now. At least until Kendra gets chance to chat with Amelia about it. "We can do it whenever really. Tomorrow or day after is good. I don't have much to do for now, I did all the paper work from the last mission already so I am good to go really."

"It might not be that soon, probably in a week or so," Desmond said and then glanced at Danny. "There are still things to sort about the place we're staking out," he added, and then looked at his sister. It was clear that the atmosphere between the two was an uneasy one, but, like always, it didn't show on his face. "I also need to talk to you about another job," he said to the girl, to which she nodded.

"Come Desmond sit with us," Kendra intervened again with firm voice, she looked the Bounty Hunter in the eyes.

Desmond remained silent for a while, but eventually relented and made his way to the table, sitting besides Danny and across Kendra. He set the mug onto the metal surface, then looked at both the Separa'Shan and the other Nepleslian. "You guys made a mess of the shuttle bay," he commented, sipping from his coffee.

Danny inclined his head towards Desmond as he sat down, though his eyes were on Kendra, still. "Yeah... you did kinda leave some punctured cans, a bow and one of those leather things lying around," he added. "I think one of the cans was pinned to a crate."

He looked over to Desmond once his eyes scanned the rest of the table, determining that they looked like a very strange looking non-standard family unit around the table together over breakfast, the smell of waffles and whatever was in Desmond's coffee filling the room. "How was shopping?"

"I got what I was looking for," Desmond said. And as if to explain exactly what it was, he fished something from his pant pocket, retrieving both the zippo lighter and the pack of Nepleslian Green's, from which he fished out a single deathstick and lit up, getting ready to enjoy his breakfast of coffee and cigarettes.

The blonde looked aside to Amelia, who was leaning her head against a closed fist. "He takes his coffee and ciggy very seriously..."

"Aaaaanyway, yeah I made a bit of mess yesterday. I ran into Amelia when he boarded and we had a few beers while I was getting to know her better. Good girl your sister." Kendra said and send a small grin towards Amelia. "And I kind of had too much and got a bit wasted, though it would be fun to go shoot my bow. I will clean it up later, do not worry."

"Totally my fault," Amelia said, shooting a faint smile back at the snakewoman. She then turned her head towards her brother, waiting for him to say anything else, but Desmond was just busy drinking from his coffee and enjoying the cigarette.

"I actually didn't know we had an archer on crew, say nothing of a ... a Separa'shan." Danny said, trying to be as respectful as possible, but Amelia could see the tension he had in him throughout the proceedings, as well as how far away he was sitting from Kendra, with Desmond and Amelia acting as human shields so he technically wasn't sitting next to Kendra. It was the little things that gave phobias away.

"The more you know," Desmond muttered, letting the smoke slowly leave through his nose as he finished drinking his cigarette. His sister, in the meanwhile, had taken to fidgeting her fingers, as if she was looking for something to say. The blonde stood up and walked over to the galley, stepping over Kendra's tail and watching it carefully, as though it'd leap up and snare him.

The sound of a boiling kettle could be heard. "Tea?" he asked nobody in particular from the galley.

"I guess I'll take it," Amelia said, looking over to where the galley's entrance was. A moment later, Danny could be seen with two cups of tea in his hands. His already had milk and sugar in it, and Amelia's didn't. He didn't know how she liked it.

"Milk? Sugar?" he asked, turning back around, though glancing down at the ground again.

"Both, please," the girl said, glancing around the table again and realizing that her brother had been staring at her for a while. Amelia could see him stepping over something carefully, disappearing back into the galley before emerging with a carton of milk and sugar in a little bowl - not mixed together of course.

He placed them down on the table, sitting down too, and sipped his mid-morning tea.

When tea shenanigans were done, Kendra got up and slithered into the galley herself. Pouring herself a cup of coffee, adding a sugar and milk in it and than moving back. She listened to the silence in the other room and wondered what she needed to to get Desmond actually talking.

"So Des," Kendra spoke as she sat down again, slithering her tail under the bench againt to take as little space as possible. "You never told me what happened with the Dawn job." Danny made an innocent whistle in response to the topic being bought up, looking at the ceiling while his nose was in his tea.

"Nothing happened, it failed," Desmond said, looking down from the mug that he was using as an ashtray and at the Separa'Shan.

"Geeez, good thing you are not a tour guide, or show aroun the museums." Kendra quipped and sat back, frowning at Desmond. "Thay would not keep you for long. Come one Des, I am a captain, I am curious about what went wrong so I make sure I pick the jobs better."

Desmond shot back a look at the snakewoman. "We split into two groups, the one I was in was confronted by some of the crew, and I barely managed to get away, while Danny's got tailed by another group. Since our cover was blown, we decided to abort it, and last I heard the bounty disappeared afterwards anyway," he said, stubbing out the cigarette inside the mug.

"Ah well it might have been for the better." Kendra shrugged at the man. "Pay was not too much and the job smelled anyway. Anything that saves me a delivery to that place is okay with me."

"Yeah," Desmond said, shooting a quick glance to his sister.

The sound of a mug being put against a plate could be heard as Danny finished his tea. "If anything," he said, "the charges seemed trumped anyway..."

"Doesn't matter anymore," Desmond replied, leaning back on his chair and crossing his arms in front of his chest.

A mumble from agreement from Danny as he looked over to Amelia. "Right..." He said, "So, what's this about another mission?"

Kendra looked up at Desmond, waiting to hear it as well. She was indeed interested. Last mission she joined was a terrible thing to go through, so maybe this time it could go better.

"It's the place we've been staking out," Desmond said to Danny, then turned his gaze to face Kendra, "I'll tell more about it in the briefing, there are still things to find out about it before we move in," he added.

"They do this thing when they spray paint. Really brings meaning to 'burnt orange'..." Danny explained, to grab more of Kendra's interest. He still couldn't get the smell of burnt paint out of his nose.

"Who is the target anyway?" Kendra asked with raised eyebrows. Desmond picked this one up, so she did not know too much.

"Some other gang. It could lead into something bigger, or it could just be another waste of time," Desmond said, shrugging. "I figured we should make use of the data we got from the last job in Delsauria before the IPG or the police stepped all over it."

"Mm," Danny said, having been responsible for grabbing that data, and a technician. "Who knows? Could get something quite nice out of it, maybe even a favour or two. At the very least we'll grab some small bounties, particularly..."

The blonde reached into his pocket and pulled his datapad out, placing it on the table and scrolling to a rap sheet. "Their leader, a Saint Burnard. Not Bernard, Burnard. All the usual: Murder, Arson, Racketeering, Arson, Drug Trafficking, Arson, Jaywalking; and did I mention Arson?" His ill fated attempt to be humorous was not going to survive here.

"I get it, he likes to play with fire." Kendra nodded. Her eyes got stuck on Amelia for a second, but moved back to Danny and Desmond so it would not look weird. "We better shoot him with a bazooka or something. I hope he has dead or alive tag."

Amelia had just taken into hearing the conversation with some interest, since that was all new to her. Meanwhile, Desmond continued on to explain, "Someone is willing to pay more if he's dead, actually," he said. The entire bounty made a hefty 3000 DA, plus a more general bounty for every ganger killed, and then there was still whatever they found inside the place.

"Right," Kendra nodded. "Now Desmond, unless I am mistaken we don't have our sniper guys on hand anymore. That merc was a washout and Raven is busy or something. I think we have an option that could fill in the spot thought."

"Who?" Desmond asked. Danny leaned forward too, hands clasped together.

"At the moment it is more of a what." The snake woman explained, she grabbed her mug of coffee and blew at it to get colder. "Well you remember that desert bandit raid right? Remember that giant lady with MG? She brought a brain-spider of one of the dead mercs with her and left it here when she left. I still have the chip and that merc was a sniper. Now the way I see it, we revive her and she should be more than happy to work with us. I mean you got to remember her Des, you were there too."

"Yeah, I remember," Desmond answered as he heard Kendra. "Jaina okay with that, though? It's one of hers," he asked after she finished explaining.

"I shall get in touch with her, but since Jaina never asked back for the chip I bet she won't care much." Kendra shrugged and sipped her coffee. "If nothing else we will be able to feel good for bringing someone back to life. That helps right?"

"Guess so," Desmond answered. "I'll leave that for you to sort out, then," he continued to say, bringing up his wrist to check the time on his PHC. "I gotta go now, there's shit to do," he concluded, then shot a glance to Danny before getting up from his chair.

"All right, have a good day. Ring me up if you need anything. Oh and when you plan that stake out call me. I feel like some field work." Kendra said to Desmond with a nod. She then turned to Danny. "All right Squid, I think I got a job for you. Someone needs to grab that chip and get the lady back alive. You think you can do that? Don't worry about DA, I'll cover it."

Danny pointed to himself, eyebrows raised. "The chip? What, is it missing?" was the first of his many queries. "Do we have a quack to rely on for this?"

"I have the chip." Kendra replied warming her hands from the mug. "But we will need an outside facility to create new body and all that jazz. I hear that is done in a fizzy, but I will need someone to handle that and you are only one around at the moment."

"I've heard of docs who'll take the chip, shoot you, then use the clone for, I dunno," he trailed off, twirling one of his index fingers in a circle. "I arrested one and gave him a few extra bruises a while back."

"Better find a good one then," Desmond said. Danny nodded with him: A reliable, honest, and reasonable doctor would be hard to come by in Funky City.

"Any prospective names springing to mind, Kendra?"

"Aren't you the search and rescue specialist?" This time, it was Amelia who asked that, with a smug smile on her face. The blonde raised a finger and his mouth opened, but he clamped his jaw shut with a clack and looked aside, embarrassed.

"I ain't local Danny." Kendra shrugged and set the mug back on the table. "I would got for one the official facilities. The woman is ex-marine, so maybe they have something set up for veterans or some shit." As Kendra spoke, Danny nodded along, seemed like a good way to fignale a sympathetic story for the ex-marine. "I would rather stay away from quacks, but yeah, I need someone to find and rescue this dead lady so it should be right up your alley."

"I'll try the ex-marine route, and see if I can get a service with a smile. If not, there's a couple of doctors." Danny said. He had spent a lot of his drifting time in Funky City, and seemed intimately familiar with the streets and layout, particularly just above street level where he could jump and run. "I think one of them owes me a favour for... 'rescuing' some funds from a client who didn't pay up after an arm job." He coughed softly.

"Sounds good, I'll get going then," Desmond said, then turned around to leave before Amelia or Danny could even wave goodbye. The blonde stood up and started gathering everyone's cups and plates, taking them to the galley and putting them in the dishwasher. Still, domestic duties had to be done before a spider could get ahead in life.

"All right," Kendra said and picked herself up. "I need to take a shower." She said and looked at Amelia, winking, since nobody was around to see it, making the nepleslian girl visibly blush again. "Danny just leave the stuff in the sink I'll take care of it afterwards. Let me just get you that chip."

The snake-woman slithered back into her room and withing few moments she emerged again with a large fluffy towel and small plastic box. She put the box on the table and gave the blonde a nod as he walked back in from stacking the dishwasher.

"Thanks Danny, you are a sweetie. Take care." She said with a smile and gave Danny a peck on a cheek.

With that Kendra looked again at Amelia and left towards the direction of the bathing area. Danny meanwhile seemed to have forgotten to breathe, and his heartbeat may have fluttered a little, a cold sweat running down the side of his face.

Amelia waited until everyone had left, then slowly got up from her seat, and went into the ship's lavatory as well. Danny wasn't sure what to be more afraid of now.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back