Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: LSDF Akahar [Interlude] - Are you there?

Keib's Office

It was not hard to jump on Keib's computer and start searching for her answer. It didn't even lock when he left the room. The last transaction between himself and the Commandant, Rov'ii was logged, giving her the answer she needed. LSDF Avir'Dis to LSDF Akahar.
>lsdf avir'dis
LSDF Avir'Dis
CO: Commandant Ro'vii Issik 'Crusher' Fyuunen
Current Assignment: Deliver Supplies/Personnel to LSDF Akahar
Previous Assignments
- Transporting Personnel, Kotoku->Tange
- Transporting Personnel, Hici'Emi->Kotoku
- Personnel Pickup for LSDF Akahar
- Ongoing Patrol Duty, Lor->Hici'Emi->Nyli->Lor...
>commandant ro'vii issik crusher fyuunen
Commandant Ro'vii Issik 'Crusher' Fyuunen
Daughter of Lorekeeper Gissel Issik 'Doom' Fyuunen and Battle Courtier Za'nik Hikke 'Stonewall' Fyuunen
Two very prominent politicians and former warriors in old and new Lor.
Training: Bes'nik Boot Camp, extended training; Our Lady Rhoi Schola for Officers and Warriors, top graduate
Service Record
-LSDF Avir'Dis (Active)
-LSDF Gis'bei (Destroyed YE35, ambushed by pirates, salvaged by LSDF Akahar, CO Mar'zhaz Keib 'Howler' N.T)
-LSDF Warsong (Destroyed YE34, ambushed by NMX, salvaged by LSDF Akahar, CO Mar'zhaz Keib 'Howler' N.T)
-LSDF Vier (Destroyed YE32, ambushed by NMX, salvaged by LSDF Akahar, CO Mar'zhaz Keib 'Howler' N.T.)
-LSDF Hir'aa, Raptor Class (Destroyed YE31, mutiny, salvaged by LSDF My'wic, CO Hide'ci Noil 'Firebird' F.)
A strange picture of failure was being painted as Rae looked at it. Sent to the two best academies Old Lor could offer, somehow failing upwards. And it seemed like Keib was behind her every step of the way, either keeping her honest or trying to uncover why she was failing so hard.

Rae sat back looking over the record of failure mixed with excellence . It left a bitter taste in her mouth, how could someone who had lost so many ships, and one even to mutiny, still be in such a lofty position regardless of her rank? It was hard to keep the Fyunnen temper in check, but now was not the time to be destroying computers and leaving evidence. It did beg the question though, and she had the computer search for any commendations or condemnations formally issued from Ro'vii to Keib
>keib condemnations
Mar'zhaz Keib 'Howler' New Tur'Lista
YE35 - Attempting to ask clearance for post-mortem of LSDF Gis'bei. Denied.
YE34 - Attempting to ask clearance for post-mortem of LSDF Warsong. Denied.
YE32 - Attempting to ask clearance for post-mortem of LSDF Vier. Denied.
YE31 - Attempting to ask clearance for post-mortem of LSDF Hir'aa. Denied.
YE31-35 - Unprofessional Behaviour, XO, LSDF Akahar (Ongoing!)
YE29 - Suspected Occhestian ties and sympathies. Placed under house arrest. (Repealed YE31)

Rae was hardly surprised with the unprofessional behavior , that was more the obvious enough, the clearance issues on the other had where quite interesting given Kieb's usual task and how he seemed to follow Ro'vii around. Both things actually struck Rae as strange. She decided to reverse the search, checking to see if Kieb had attempted to write anything about Ro'vii...

-

Engineering

Bes'linn was looking at Kam'kebek up and down and nodding. "Sarn." She replied back with a grin. She was replying back in kind. "I see you've met Keib - I could hear it from here. Now," She turned to look at the engineering bay. Over in one corner was an arcade machine built by the ship's Freespacer residents. Kam'kebek could see strange wiring snaking across the floor like an organic moss.

It was snaking over into a vending machine that was once Lorath, but had a terrible case of Freespacers inflicted on it. In Pratima's words, it was now capable of dispensing amphetamines. Bes'linn's second in command was fetching a coffee, and found that the sugar dispenser was not dispensing sugar any more. He sniffed it curiously and took a sip. His eyebrows raised and he made an exaggerated frown before trotting off with something alleging to be coffee in his hands.

As for supplies, things seemed to be a little slim. Crates from the cargo bay were being loaded in to replace what was used to repair the Hull moments ago. "I value inventiveness. When we have the materials to do what we can without fuss, we do it. If not, that is where we must set ourselves apart from those who have plenty."

She walked over to the main work benches. The tools were on the walls, but they looked like they'd been there since the ship had made its maiden voyage. Aside from the new supplies that were coming in hot on Kam'kebek's feet behind him loaded by the technicians scurrying through, everything looked like it'd been loved and abused simultaneously. Sometimes, a cargo tech would stop and gawk at how old the equipment was. "Those belong in a museum..." "'Duct tape shortage?' Unacceptable... how do they manage?" "So short on supplies..."

"Quiet you," she told the cargo technicians - she could smell the pomp and opulence from that Zahl from here. She disliked the stink of them, they always had more items and less brains. The Pico-Jelly related items in the Akahar were minimal at best - leading to jelly rationing, and she could smell it on the cargo technicians, who seemed to have a fresh, abundant supply.

It was with no shortage of barely concealed shock that "Tilt" took in his surroundings when he had arrived. The place certainly looked, for lack of any better words, well-used. There was the arcade machine that had apparently been designed by and likely for the non-Lorath residence that had first caught his eye. Neon green trailed the veritable undergrowth of wiring to see connections to a narcotic-pedaling vending machine. After that the former coffee addict found himself look at the machine in question, and he couldn't stop his shuddering. This wasn't his first tumble in the vacuum with the military, no, but it was certainly his first in such close proximity to the likes of Freespacers.

He looked to Bes'linn, though his eyes could barely remove themselves from his surroundings long enough to maintain eye-contact, "Of - of course, ma'am." Deep breaths, "Tilt", he told himself, stay calm, "I suppose that's one of the few non-demeaning reasons they sent me your way."

"Good, and if you can be inventive, keep the ship running, and remain dilligent, you'll go far. I had the Freespacer help me patch a hole in the hull earlier," She looked over to the arcade machine and sighed. She'd made a note to make it silent or ask for a headphone jack to be installed. "I didn't know what their abilities were, and they did an admirable job. Every new person I see is a leap of trust, not faith. I'm sure I can trust you."

'Tilt' gave only a curt nod, "Of course, ma'am. I'll do my best not to let you down. If I may, however . . ?"

A quick glance over his shoulder was made to check for the proximity of the nearest possible superior officer outsie of Bes herself. The last of the cargo technicians had scurried away from Engineering.

"Permission to speak freely, ma'am?" She nodded.

"Doesn't it seem, dangerous? Letting non-military personnel like those Freespacers aboard? Was that the Captain's own call?" He made a vage disuading motion with one hand, "Not meaning to disrespect the Captain, ma'am. It just seems . . . a breach of security."

"It was Keib's call. Some of our engineers were wounded or killed during the Pirate attack, and he needed a replacement. He takes what he can get, I take what I can get," she sighed. "This ship is run more like a privateer's anyway."

'Tilt' once again gave only a curt, "Understood, ma'am. And if I may? I think my best use right now would be helping with any hull work and then maybe trouble-shooting those new rifles that came in. I doubt the 'esteemed' superiors saw fit to grace a ship like this with respectable and working equipment. And might it be too much to ask for a run-down? So I don't need one every day for my duties?"

She snapped her fingers. "Good call on the rifles. Get to that once I've shown you around..."

SOME TIME PASSES, I WON'T BORE YOU WITH THE DETAILS!...

"...and don't touch the red cable. That's our grounding line. That should be everything. Any questions?"

'Tilt' shrugged, "Just the one, ma'am." He thumbed in the direction from which they had just arrived, "Why were they keeping pizzas on the server racks?" A moment of pause, "And was that sailor growing duqc'loss in her quarters?"

"Because it keeps the pizzas warm, and because that sailor is a weirdo. Keib introduced us to Pizza when he came back from leave to Nepleslia. He also introduced us to something called ... Aethersperm. Noisy horrible 'music'." She snorted in disgust.

"Yeah, I've heard of them. All due respect, the good Captain looked like an aspiring member, to me." Tilt motioned to the red cable now, "What happens if I touch it?" He asked with a knowing chuckle.

"Then the electrics short out and the floor gets electrified and everybody dies. Nothing big."

"Oh, so no painful loss as far as the Matriarchy is concerned. Good to know."

Where the hell was Pratima, though? "Pratima, report." Bes'linn spoke into her earpiece.

-

Hallways

Seeing that Bastion was leading Il'Lus through the Akahar, he smiled and nodded, and started heading towards the holding cells. Along the way though, he saw Vithr and an empty trolley on its side. The doctor seemed to be slumped against the wall. Keib's pace quickened and he knelt down beside him. "Vithr, Vithr," he said, looking down at the doctor and hoisting him up. "Where the is Merrill?" He saw bruises on his neck and a single blood stain on the wall.

Vithr coughed and looked up at Keib. "She recovered on her own. Did her file mention anything about her shapeshifting abilities?" Keib shook his head. "She's got one hell of a fang on her and a chip on her shoulder." Keib tilted his head. "She was able to regenerate from some broken bones during that fight earlier. I saw her back in the wrong direction. It would've killed anyone else."

Keib's eyebrow raised. "Somehow I'm unsurprised that they omit that information - they're just putting powder into my keg, right?" He smiled. "And waiting to throw a match in, but you can't light damp gunpowder."

"She definitely choked me," he rubbed his neck. He had a cut over her his neck, not deep, and on the mend. "No idea where she is now."

"I'm sure the screams of my interrogation could rouse her attention. Come Vithr, we got us an interrogation to do. Prepare good stuff."

"Right."

Holding Cells

Keib stepped into the interrogation room with Vithr in his shadow, walking towards the cheimcals table. Trussed up upon a table was the corpulent pirate captain. There was an IV sticking out of his arm, and he was staring directly into a mirrored ceiling. Seeing himself, seeing Keib's head, and Vithr at the table, flicking at a syringe full of inky liquid.

"My name is Keib," he was speaking fluent Trade, without the linguistic quirks of a Lorath, "and I like to think of myself as an enlightened Lorath with a healthy dose of realism and knowledge that the universe at large exists."

Keib circled around the fat Pirate captain in the middle of the room. Vithr moved up behind him and grabbed the IV and dispensed the contents of the syringe into it. "Now, you seem to be a pirate with enough grease in your bloodstream to make candles with, a myriad of drugs swimming in your system, and my hand-" he put his hand gently against the Pirate's head, "-in your mind."

He then tensed his fingers as though they were digging into his skull and exerted his influence, reaching into the Pirate Captain's skull as though he were reaching through the lid of a cookie jar to grab an ill gotten treat. "So don't lie to me or I will punish you like a right colonial bastard."

He turned around to see if anyone else who'd followed him into the interrogation had some verbal venom to unbottle and leven against the pirate from behind mirrored, reinforced glass. Keib switched back to Lorath, "Don't hold back, this might be the last chance you get to tell him how you feel before I render him far from lucid."

Like a cat knows when to be underfoot when one is handling groceries, Merril appeared in the brig. She no longer shook, but still a bit twitchy all over. In one arm, she carried a medikit and a bag of jerkey. The other hand fished out a large piece of the tough meat and placed the edge into her mouth. The wildcat bit down hard, carrying the piece.

"Yo, Cap," She greeted between gritted teeth. Nonchalantly, like she hadn't just walked off a few broken bones.

"Pratima unit currently enganged in modification of damaged room" was the response to Bes'linn. If she came to the room that Pratima had been repairing, the one that had been vented to space, she would see that the room was now more than a little virtual, apparently a combination of directed localized force-fields and volumetric creating a small virtual world, a link to the Pratima unit's combined mind. Several sleeping bodies could be seen in their little virtual landscape.

Another Pratima unit, the tall green skinned female, was quietly standing near tilt, watching him from the shadows without making a sound, just staring at him intensely.

Aiesu soon departed and began searching the decks for something, if anything to do -- with Merril in mind.

Though not like that, obviously, she told herself. But then the thought seeped back in. It took her a few moments to realise the face she was making somewhat inappropriate, making her frown some.

At least a frown was sensible.

"Fuckin Pussy. If you don't want your arm ripped off and shoved up your ass, then don't start shit." Veronica cursed at her potential combatant as he left. But, true to her rumored laziness, she soon shrugged and started off, looking for the captain to see what his problem was with letting things be this much of a mess.

Much to her delight, she wound up finding two captains in the exact situation she had intended to do earlier before Sargeant Flashbang Out The Ass interrupted. "Bahaha, always with his fat ass glued to a chair. Hey Bird captain, I got some poisons from an old friend if you want the fuck to suffer." The Geshrin grins maliciously, remembering the vial she had threatened him with earlier alongside Rae.

"Hah that is too bad, 'Kiss Me' apron would look pretty damn good on you." Mars joked, getting more relaxed again. Mars believed that with words you could do a lot and only when words did not work, you should introduce others to your first. In most cases at least. To her it seemed that the pilot was just damn frustrated by sudden posting on Akahar. Most people had time to think about it, she arrived and only then was told to get here. That was pretty nerve wrecking experience. Especially for someone who was not far from becoming officer.

"Well I do not care about politics that much to be frank. I do agree that crew on ship should be on constant vigil. It was pretty brave from you to speak your mind." Bastion commented on the girls story. "Most officers cannot take any criticism. You should know that captain of this ship keep an open door policy so you can go talk to him if you needed. He will even listen to you criticise him. Just don't make habit of it. Still you have change of getting off this ship in time, so you should cherish it. Some of us are here for good."

"Mind off my ass Fyunnen..." I'Llus commented, though it was slightly playful, the smirk on her face no so uch annod as a little teasing.

"I can still become a officer here, good candidates always make the best of poor situations, though it all be a few ccenturies befor I get off is ship I tthink..." She admitted, walking along side the woman. She had an few minutes to think it over now, and considered the facts about the ship. It didn't seem as high strung as some of her other postings...

"What landed you here?"

There were times when Mars did not want to talk about it. There were times, when she still cared about it being secret. Now she could openly tell pretty much anyone. It happened so many years ago, that Mars just put it all behind her already. It was in past it happened, Mars worked it out. Even today she would act the same in that situation.

"First officer on my ship wanted to massacre an innocent yamataian crew for 'revenge' and when captain forbid him, he roused a crew against ship captain." Mars explained to the pilot. "Captain's orders are absolute and we shall not suffer traitors so me and ship's master sergeant killed them all. It was tough fight and not just physically. Alas, Matriarchy in all its glory decided that since I got through that, it would be better to just shuffle me somewhere quiet so nobody would find out. That is why I am here for last... six years I think."

Aiesu was soon greeted with the inevitability that she had often learned, much to her chagrin: That those she'd sought out to talk to or even just to annoy were elsewhere, busy and occupied, wrapped up in their own lives.

She continued to walk the halls of the hull alone with little to do and even less to say.

"So...for doing your duty to the Matrirchy and to he captain of the ship, you were shunted out hee.." I'Llus shook her head in disgust.

"The mariarchy for you... I had a cousin "Accused" of heresy by a man she scorned, a week later she was being led off in cuffs."

The pilot had a rather distasteful view of the mariarchy at laage.

"Apparently having vitness of the mutiny among the troops would be bad for morale. You know how it is, sodlier of matriarchy are perfect. No such things as mutinies. They could not put me on new ship and they could not pull me back to my old post at Training Grounds. After all having someone like me train new soldiers would be bad, because I would speak about nothing else then mutiny all day long. At least the high brass thought so." Mars explained and frowned. "So I ended up here. I grew accustomed to it and now I like it. Would not want to be elsewhere. I can trust people here now that our old captain is gone and Keib runs the show.

"Sorry to hear about your cousin, that man that pointed the finger, someone should cut that finger off. Heresy is used too often to get rid of people who are in your way. All you have to do is tell them they slept with another cast. Pitiful. What happened to your cousin? Maybe Keib could get her here as well. We have few here that dodged prison-life by serving on Akahar."

I'Llus just shook her head.

"Oh no, she was screwing a Occhestan, there was no question of that. A few of us knew yea, but not that it matters anymore. she was wiped, and last I saw her, she couldn't stop herself from drooling. has a dozen or so children now though, cute little things..." She shrugged a little and sighed, her cousin had been smart, incredibly so, and gifted. But that had gone to her head.

"Wiped...." Mars said, stopping in her stride for a seconds. She froze as she imagined that, before getting a move on again. "I think I would rather died than that. Sorry about your cousin. There are some barbaric practices. We really need to start using common sense again. It got us once from the caves, but now the lack of it keeps us grounded unable to fly away for the future."

I'Llus was uncharacteristically quiet as she simply nodded, peering around the ship hallways. She had liked her cousin well enough, and when she had been found out it had been a little difficult for her. But like all her hardships in her life, all the times she went to her parents for comfort, she had been turned aside, told that she was stronger then needing comfort.

It took her a moment, but her scowl soon came back over her face that she had before, that annoyed look which she seemingly got any time she thought of her family.

"Idiots...All of them. Maybe being on this ship will help me distance from them, put their focus on other members..." She thought ruefully.

LSDF Akahar, Interrogation Room

Keib looked out of the one way glass and addressed Veronica. "Don't you worry. I have my ways." The mirrored side was facing into his chamber, and whoever had come to watch Keib interrogate the pirate captain was able to see the now Commander of the ship work his 'magic'. New Tur'lista had mild telepathic abilities at range, mostly for the sake of networking their knowledge to form a mighty intellect and for the sake of communion. While these transactions were built on trust and togetherness, encrypting or cloistering something away was considerably harder. After all, if you had nothing to hide, everything would be there to see, right?

Right? There was an underbelly to this ability that Keib knew like a second home. When a New Tur'lista touched someone rather than just sharing thoughts at a distance, you could quite literally get into someone's head, peer into their memories, plant suggestions, make feelings. The Matriarchy employed people who were good at getting into someone's head to extract information, not to share. No matter what happened, it was a two way street of transaction - the target would see some of what Keib saw, feel some of what he felt - he simply couldn't control what. It was a roulette of memories.

Keib just wondered what the pirate captain would see - so furious at the betrayal of his superior, his ship being dirtied with the corpses of those under his subject's command and wanting to find an answer to two huge problems that plagued the Akahar. "Let's begin," Keib said. He climbed onto the bed and straddled the pirate captain's engorged gut, looking down onto his face. His fingernails dug into the flesh of the pirate captain's temples and he stared into bleary red bloodshot eyes with a smirk. "It begins." Keib forced his will upon the pirate captain, and would not break eye contact. The pirate's eyes were forced into Keib's apparently roiling and swirling slate eyes.

Vithr turned the probe on to see what was going on exactly, donning a pair of headphones and turning on a recorder to make what Keib was finding and tearing apart tangible. The pirate captain spasmed and thrashed on the table weakly. A gurgling moan of agony came from the pirate's mouth.

"So --- Mok'ro contains ---- exact--?" Keib could hear the voices in his head, and so could Vithr via the headphones attached the probe, which was recording and trying its best to piece the scrambled thoughts together to form a coherent whole. Perhaps there were too many relaxants in Vithr's concoction.
"It contains something be-e-e-yond our compre-e-hension." Keib knew that voice and squeezed harder, drawing blood.
"-nd what th- ---k d-es that me--?" The pirate's voice seemed timid, wondering what his contractor was asking of him.
"It means -- could becooOOOoome more powerful- ---- --- ---ath Matria----. Cast off --- ------! Or, could just ---- --- on Yam---- or Occhestians. Feh."
Pirate's voice seemed jubilated at the prospect of power. "Jus- --em? C'mon -- ----- have the wor--!"

The world? That's not what was important. Motive. Motive, he needed to find motive. Where. Where? He needed to find where. He paused for thought before resuming his barrage against the admittedly weak mental defenses of the pirate - weakened by Vithr's concoctions ahead of time.

"--nge. It was damaged near // during the battle // NMX damage, crew rep---d fifty l // Escaped." Hakahn's voice was.

"Figures." Keib mumbled to himself as he unscrambled the frenzied thoughts in his own mind.

"Contracted by La---us prev--sly." Hakahn's voice seemed nonchalant, like he knew it from the beginning.

Cerise eyes flooded his vision for a moment before fading away. Not from the Pirate, but from within Keib's vivid mental landscape. Maybe that was her angle on this and Hakahn had gotten wind of it somehow. But what was it? What was worth chasing that not only did a crew have to die, but a ship to be hijacked to aid in recovery and for the captain of the hijacked ship to defect?

"Sure. I'll do it --- --u. Cond----n though - I get the ---n's s--re of mon-- or flesh." The pirate was a typical creature to Keib, taking flesh as a reward in the stead of money.
"I --ve som--ne who'd make an --cel---- servant - - second in co---nd." Keib's fingers squeezed even harder. "His day is ----- to --- - --ole lot worse." Keib started pulling upwards on the Pirate's face now, the sensitive flesh starting to stretch as Keib's skinny muscles were starting to bulge with rage. Vithr stopped watching the output of the mind probe and looked at Keib.

The thoughts Keib was getting from the Pirate became worryingly clear, especially Hakahn's voice. "And a tart from Lazarus who thought she was in control."

"What did he do?!" Keib was pulling harder and harder on the Pirate's face. Vithr tried to hold Keib's arms back down, pushing down on his wrists, but starting to feel his muscles spasm as he tried to grip his superior's wrists.

"WHAT DID HE DO?!"

"H-h-h-hhhhhhh-" The pirate captain was incapable of speaking after being blasted by Keib's rage and indignation. The heart rate of the pirate was starting to increase. "hhh-hhhhhh-hhh-hh-hhhhhhhhhhh..."

"-he -----inates are -ere... see? He was right."

He had what he needed, but not what he wanted. "What, did he do, to Aiesu?"

"Keib, you're killing him!" Vithr yelled over the sound of the heart rate monitors blaring warnings and the painful sensations shooting up his arms from trying to restrain Keib. "Stop!" He was overcome and fell backwards clutching himself, leaving Keib unrestrained.

"He lead me right to it."

"At least I'm on the right track." Despite his previous anger, his tone had shifted to complete calm and he looked at the Pirate, pity in his eyes. He breathed a sigh, but he did not relax, his grip was still deathly tight on the pirate's face, still pulling. "Goodbye." And then he pulled just a little harder. From behind the glass, onlookers could see him pulling upwards, a splatter of red hitting the ceiling and a few droplets hitting the glass. The heartrate monitor went flat. The psionic probe had nothing further to record. Keib breathed deeply for a moment and slowly, but surely turned around to whoever was inspecting him behind the glass, streak of red running up his face, expression serene.

He straddled himself off and grabbed a nearby towel, wiping it off of his face. "I think I have my answers."

-

LSDF Akahar, Keib's Office

Rae had just finished reading a letter from Keib, directly to Gissel, and by extension the Lorath court.
Mar'zhaz Keib 'Howler' New Tur'Lista said:
To whom it may concern,

I write to you with a letter of condemnation against Commandant Ro'vii Issik 'Crusher' Fyuunen, Daughter of Lorekeeper Gissel Issik 'Doom' Fyuunen and Battle Courtier Za'nik Hikke 'Stonewall' Fyuunen. As you may know, the Akahar's main role is to recover and salvage friendly Lorath ships in order to ensure that the corpses crew members can be recovered, along with sensitive Lorath technology. My job has become increasingly eventful despite the Yamataian Second NMX War winding down.

I recommend that Commandant Rov'ii Issik 'Crusher' Fyuunen is stripped of her rank, title and all privileges or offices held indefinitely for the intentional destruction of the Hir'aa, Vier, Warsong and Gis'bei. All were under her command, all were front-line ships, all of them perished from within or from without with unacceptable friendly casualties. One ship lost is happen-stance, twice is coincidence, and three times is enemy action. I do not know what possessed her superiors to grant her a fourth and later fifth ship, as she is clearly unfit for commanding such a large vessel.

We cannot afford to lose and replace front of the line, top technology ships when things are looking so grim on the horizon. If another is destroyed and our technology falls into enemy hands because of it, then I see no reason to continue defending her based on her extravagant parentage.

Signed,
M.Keib 'Howler' N.TL
XO - LSDF Akahar
Perhaps that is where the ship's poor reputation came from, whispered from the mouths of courtiers and slowly diluting and trickling down into the military, filtered through biased mouthpieces and further distorting the message into cartoonish solipsism.

Aside from some less interesting correspondence back and forth with only a handful of lines each, only the first reply to Keib stood out.
Battle Courtier Za'nik Hikke 'Stonewall' Fyuunen said:
Dear Keib,

Motion denied.
May you gain the notice of those high above you.

Signed,
Battle Courtier Za'nik Hikke 'Stonewall' Fyuunen
Commodore of the Lorath Self Defence Force
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Honoured by the Tur'lista
Feared by the Enemies of the Goddess
Loved by the Innocent
Respected by her Soldiers
What a baroque signature. She had those badges and those honours, some perhaps rewarded to herself by her significant other or something. The short length of the reply coupled with the insult without addressing the question at all seemed very insincere and rude. Keib had hard evidence, Za'nik had clout and a handful of powerful sycophants and competent orators to back her word up and speak for her, miring Keib in red tape and preventing him from making further progress.

"Tch. Thats it? You dry hump him and squeeze his head for a bit for mind probing? How boring. Should've let me do it." Veronica stretched her back, her arms over her head lazily. Her own thoughts turning to the torture methods she learned from a friend. She shrugs and lets her arms swing down. "So that it? Shifty tub of lard show you all his porn stashes or what?" Something about Veronica's taunts suggested she understood a bit more than she was letting on. Why she would try to do that was unclear though.

Mars finally stopped by a room, opening a door. It was classical room on ships like this. Fairly large, with big sleeping nest for four across the room from doors and cases and tables to the side. "Well this is yours now. As far as I know you, have no room-mate. There is one fyunnen lady without a room so I might have to put her with you." Mars explained and pointed to another doorway in the hallway. "If you need anything you can reach me on my communicator or in my room over there. My helashio is usually there too, so don't mind asking her for help. Treat her right though, I don't suffer overly dominant slave-masters."

I'Llus just rolled her eyes at Mars as she looked about her room. Taking a few steps in and tossing her bag aside she just shrugged.

"It's fine, a room mate might be nice." She confessed, thinking over new things she had to try. Like actually getting along with crew members for once.

"I don't care for the whole overbearing slave driver thing... It's gets annoying and less work from them." She just shrugged a little before stepping back out of her room. Peering to where Mars' room was she just nodded, a hand lazily reaching up to scratch at a spot on Tongue.

"I'm going to head to the bridge. If you see the captain before me, just give him a heads up that's where he can find me. See you around the ship." With little else, she gave an quick salute before turning and moving off, her wings fluttering a little as she headed to her station. She needed to see what she was working with, and where.

Stepping onto the bridge she gave a cursory look around, noting the different spots and stations before she drew closer to her own. A quick spin around as she sat found her facing her console to start working her commands and short cuts in, making sure everything was set to her liking. Of course she never moved the ship or changed course at all, but she made sure when she needed to she would be ready.

Tongue crawled from her shoulder down to the side of her console, a small spot that he suddenly claimed as his own.

LSDF Akahar, Keib's Office

Rae ran a hand through her hair, she wasnt sure exactly how far the depths of her disappointment went, but it was obvious to her that she was, both in her commanding officer and Rov'ii . What it did do as well, is cause her to think. It was quickly becoming obvious that her stay here wouldn’t last terribly long one way or another, and she would prefer it not to be discharged due to death or just the sure level of disfavor Keib enjoyed.

As well, it was becoming harder and harder for Rae to have faith in her superiors, let the statesmen argue about position and politics, but for fyunnen to be playing these games was equally unacceptable to her. While hardly a spy, Rae wasnt stupid and spent a moment collapsing the searches she put through Kieb's computer.

Her feet took her out into the hallway shortly afterwords, and to her at least, it became obvious that she would have to find out exactly who amongst the crew of the damned would end up being her allies, and who, her enemies.

With that last, somewhat self sickening thought, Rae'lynn made her way towards where her CO had went, it never hurt to see how a man conducted business.

Engineering Bay
Bes'linn was in the middle of looking for something for Kam'bekek to do while all this nonsense of interrogation was going on, but as she was typing at her keyboard and checking the screen she froze and lurched. One of the Pratima units could see her clearly too. She coughed and fell against the keyboard, flailing and knocking paper, stationery and a mug off of the desk before she sat back up and rubbed her head.

The New Tur'lista had been blasted with a psychic wave that had come from the holding cells. Anyone on the ship who was psychically sensitive would feel a wracking pain come and go for a few moments. Those closer to the holding cells felt it worse. "...oh...oh dear Goddess..." She groaned as she realised that the hot liquid in the cup had stained and burnt her skin. She breathed for a few moments before standing back up. "My brain..."

-

Bridge
As I'Llus entered the Bridge, one of the Bridge Bunnies (the New Tur'listan) could be seen in a less than happy state of mind at her station, clutching her head. The other two felt a slight itch or perhaps the feathers on the back of their vestigial wings standing up. "Miri, are you alright?" One of the others (the Fyunnen) asked, leaning Miri's head back up and giving her some water.

"I just... it's like a thunderbolt cracked... right near me..." Miri complained as she took the water. "I think Keib's at it again."

"I know, but I've... never felt it like that before."

The Llmanel bridge bunny took a look at what was going on in the interrogation and put a hand to her mouth. "Oh... Oh my Goddess." She closed the window and shook her head at the others. "I think it was personal."

"Hakahn..." The Fyunnen guessed, looking at the empty CO's chair of command. "No wonder Keib's angry."

-

Holding Cells
Keib's breathing had slowed down and he was now washing the spots of blood off of his labcoat before they dried. Once they dried they were always a bitch to get out. He gave a nod to Vithr and nodded his head sideways while looking at the corpse of the captain. His brain was fried, burnt, all of the neurons fired at once never to fire again.

"Now why would you be so interested in him? His taste in porn was terrible." Keib asked Veronica as he passed her by, heading towards his office. "I got what I wanted," he tapped the side of his forehead. "I have my directions, you're just along for the ride."

Keib entered his office and found Greg lying on the floor clutching their head, face screwed into a painful expression. Keib sighed. "Oh, you felt it too." He sighed quietly before helping him back up and looking into its eyes. "Breathe, in, out, in, out. There we go. We alright?" Greg nodded and smiled. "Good, let's go for a walk." He hung up his bloodied labcoat and the two left the office and started walking towards the bridge. Keib appeared to be having a one sided conversation with his companion. "Seen Four-Six anywhere? ... No? Guess she'll show up somewhere. I need her to recover. ... I don't think she's fully healed yet either, keep her company if you find her."

The doors to the bridge opened and Keib walked in. "Sir," The Llmanel bridge bunny addressed him.
"Sir." The Fyunnen addressed him.
"...my brain hurts, sir." the New Tur'Lista groaned.
"Sorry about that." Keib replied. "I got a bit carried away and hello I'Llus." He then walked over and sat down into the CO's chair - still as uncomfortable to him as the minute he was sworn into it and he spoke into the intercom, "Aiesu, come to the bridge, please." He shifted his weight until he could find the weight.

Heavy rested the epaulettes that bore the symbol of the Commanding Officer as he put his hand down onto the keypad and started typing in coordinates. "Bridge, take us there quietly."

"Acknowledged, moving." the Llmanel bridge bunny replied.
"Does Miri want a cup of tea and medicine for her headache?" Keib asked, referring to the New Tur'listan bridge bunny.
"I believe so."
"Greg, please get Miri and I a cup of tea and some codeine for Miri. I'Llus, tea too?" he asked before he sent his scholar, companion and friend of a Helashio off.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back