• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Is aether for power generation only a restricted tech?

No.

Aether weapons are restricted but aether power is widely used and not prohibited by Yamatai or Nepleslia.

Then what's to stop a technically-skilled and destructively-minded person from buying an aether generator, or something that uses one, crossing a few wires, and turning a few city blocks into a smoking crater?

Perhaps we should restrict it to non-planetary use for non-government people.

It would have to be a galactic thing, with all governments agreeing ... but blowing up the aether generator on a ship wouldn't exactly be a small bomb, I'd think.

As long as an aether reactor is properly designed, I can't imagine that rigging it to explode would be an easy task. After all, you'd need to do it in such a way that it maintains the tap rather than simply disconnecting from the great white flow, and even then, do it in such a way that it blew up when and where you wanted.

While I can imagine purposeful overloads as a self-destruct, it largely depends on how much capacity the reactor is able to produce before the tap is disconnected. While the explosion would never be small, there's a big difference in the 'voltage', so to speak, of a capital ship's reactor and the one in an electric car.

Even so, that doesn't mean it should be any more restricted than the current arrangement, which has served us well for a while. ICly, a high-profile aether explosion might change a few people's minds on the safety of it, but OOCly there's no reason to change it based on what may or may not happen.

That's just how I see it, anyway. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Totally agree. It shouldn't be more restricted, from my perspective, but from that of the governments across the galaxy, that's a good argument — the idea someone could blow the everliving shit out of something.

So perhaps aether generator technology might suddenly become a lot more restricted - or at least a lot more regulated - if and when someone detonates one?

I would imagine that once this happens, the bigger the generator, the tighter the regulations. So a small generator might require little more than a license an registration (so the authorities will notice if someone not in the retail business buys thousands of them), but larger systems with more potential destructive capacity would require background checks. However, I think we should wait on implementing any new IC restrictions until something happens ICly - such as a terrorist aether generator bomb attack - to prompt such restrictions.

On most YSE planets, PANTHEON and the nodal system MIGHT be able to intervene fast enough upon detecting an overload in progress, but I doubt it would be a sure thing.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back