• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Is there an interplanetary communications system?

MissingNo

Inactive Member
Is there a method that is used to communicate between Nepleslia, Yamatai, and all the ships in between? And, if people can communicate directly between planets/ships across large distances, what's the lag between sending and receiving messages on that scale?

Yes, there is, for most Yamataian and former Yamataian worlds. Communication is in real time.

I know...there's always a way to get communications through. I'm just asking whether that's the instantaneous method Wes described above or if it's by Pony-Express (starship version).

[EDIT] Sorry, I just realized that he said "former Yamataian worlds", which includes Nepleslia. Nevermind.

I believe PANTHEON access is largely unrestricted, like an interstellar internet with VOIP+Video Streaming.

I think there's also a Nepleslian-specific system, but I'm not sure about that.

Likely with a lot of restrictions in place. Yamatai guards its information highly--but I will let Wes give the official answer on this.

There was a time when Nepleslia was part of the Yamataian Star Empire. That means they had PANTHEON. PANTHEON might still be there, making things a lot like Yamatai.

I suppose the Nepleslians could have negociated adminsitrative rights over their branch of it, redesigned and tweaked it to their liking and such... but it ought to still be there, right?

PANTHEON is military system but it is faction-neutral. Anybody can use it for web and communications or controlling their ships. But, nobody gets to access/control each others' stuff.

It'd be nice to have a separate civilian system, though.

Probably not worth having a separate system. I think having one overarching system works well enough. PANTHEON's hierarchical nature actually works very well for separating people's access privileges and the like. Besides, any Civnet would be based on PANTHEON tech anyway so it'd be the same system.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back