• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Character Kiera "Gem" Tabier

Am I doing something wrong? If so, I would appreciate someone telling me what that is. 25 looks and not a word does not transfer much information.

Is the dad's name Jaban or James?

Otherwise ... you've got a character here with a lot of history. A lot, even if it isn't spelled out. And a really talented character, at that. With no real plot to enter, either; you're not a new player, after all.

I think the character's just at a level of ability that worries me. She's good with all sorts of things, and the history does justify it some, but I'm not really sure how to feel completely comfortable with it. She's just a jack-of-all-trades that could run a whole starship herself. Wasn't there anything she found real keen interest in? Something she wanted to know more than anything? Where's her mother's influence in all this? Does that play out any?

Doshii Jun said:
Is the dad's name Jaban or James?
Thanks for catching that. It's Jaban, the other name was a placeholder until I could think of a different one.

Otherwise ... you've got a character here with a lot of history. A lot, even if it isn't spelled out. And a really talented character, at that. With no real plot to enter, either; you're not a new player, after all.
Well...she is 31 years old...not much of a newbie. I'm trying to get out of that teen-to-twenty age bracket I've got myself stuck in with my characters : /

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the rest of that comment, but I can tell you what I plan to do with her. I'm just getting a character approved before I offer the ship. If the ship doesn't get through, then I will find another place for the character. Simple.

The plot I'm looking to start up is going to be taking place on a converted Marsina-class ship she purchases via loan/credit from NovaCorp (already in talks with Zakalwe about this and he likes the idea). Fay is creating a character for it with another in the works, as is AoK.

The ship, the Event Horizon, will start out in exploration and minor cargo runs until I pick up the two previously mentioned skeleton crew, then it will settle into being a cargo ship that dabbles in smuggling with a planned route from New Kohana as far north as Azorea (through discovery), hitting most of the planets in between those two destinations. OOCly, I was looking to run my own plots from this ship, somewhat independent from the rest of the RP.

The theme for the ship will be to pick up crewmembers from previously little-known or featured races such as the Kohanians and Azoreans, with other possibilities being the Abwehrans, 'Spacers, Melumsi, and possibly Lor (if the creators are interested, otherwise I'll leave them be). I'm looking for a minimum of nine-character crew, but the Marsina is outfitted for many more. My top-out number is around five to seven players with no more than two characters each, if allowed. This would be a non-military ship (I will detail -- And I really mean "detail" -- the changes I will make to the ship when I post the ship proposal).

I think the character's just at a level of ability that worries me. She's good with all sorts of things, and the history does justify it some, but I'm not really sure how to feel completely comfortable with it. She's just a jack-of-all-trades that could run a whole starship herself. Wasn't there anything she found real keen interest in? Something she wanted to know more than anything? Where's her mother's influence in all this? Does that play out any?

If she had clones, I could see her running a ship by herself, yeah. She's not going to be able to, however, and if she did it would make for boring plots.

The skill listing for much of the things she knows means she's familiar with it, much like a CEO is familiar with the workings of his small company even though he doesn't do every job himself, or, better analogy, the way a dentist has his employees take care of cleanings and inspections, only overseeing their work and helping when they really need him to. Keira is going to be able to perform her crew's jobs competently, if needed, but the main notion behind her knowledge is so that she knows what her engineer means when the engineer spouts techno-babble, or can cover for the pilot if he is late for a shift/otherwise not available (I will clarify that she is better at piloting land vehicles and shuttles, and merely "capable", of flying full-size craft like the Marsina-class). The ship doctor will be indispensable, though, she only knows first-aid.

The thing about Jacks-of-all-Trades is that _very_ few are Renaissance Masters, most only know enough to get the job done and specialize in one area. Her focus is scheduling and planning with trick, term knowledge, and advanced ("advanced" used in this post is defined as a practiced amateur, not a trained, professionally-schooled career engineer) practical knowledge in engineering. Her computing, chemistry, and math knowledge is all what she NEEDS to know. Common space-farer knowledge, the career equivalent of common sense.

Her mother gave her the medical knowledge, along with cooking and maintaining a clean ship. Her father got to her earlier (since mechanic stuff doesn't always require advanced comprehension), so she has an edge in machines.

Ah, another thing I forgot to add (make this the seventh skill): She piloted 10 years in a courier service, vessels ranging from airbikes (which she was hired to run for in-city deliveries), to land vehicles (a promotional advancement, running things city-to-city), and her last promotion was to small and medium shuttles (for deliveries and such to other parts of the world, but not interplanetary stuff). After several years of global deliveries, she left the company and set out to start her own freelance shipping service.

As for her mother, this whole time her mom has been receiving a portion of Keira's wages since the two of them left the vessel Ramada worked on; you will most likely hear from her if Keira is approved for RP.

I will add this extra stuff to the wiki if necessary (which it seems to be).

Oh, as an addition: Being a crack-shot at close-range honestly doesn't really mean much. At close range, what matters is who gets the shot off first and with what weapon. Then it just becomes a question if the other person can dodge the shot.

Like I said ... there's plenty of justification for it.

However, it sounds like this will be a GM-level character in a way, which is what I need to hear more than anything. It's the precedent of a standard player-character that I wanted to avoid.

This GM-level character is approved for IC usage. The plot was not established at the time of character creation, but the player is an established veteran.

This character does not count against the player's character slots.

Thank you , Doshii, I appreciate it. I haven't submitted a plotship before, though, so I have a few more questions: how would I go about requesting approval for the plotship, submission through the new setting and tech forum? What do I need to write about it?

Hm... you could take a look at Gamer's Zoya or some of the other plotships already in existence for some ideas.

Nevermind...the question was flawed, I won't get the information I need from it. I'll just write up what I have and post that.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back