• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

[Kohana] The Most Dangerous Game

AoK

Inactive Member
Gnarlpaw slowly opened his eyes.

The aging wolf slowly looked around his chambers to try and get his bearings. His attendants, The Templar, all knelt nearby watching their master intently as they had been for the last week while the Avatar went on his spiritual journey through the realms of the unseen. And now that he had come back to them they waiting with anticipation for the knowledge he would impart on them.

"My time is coming to an end, my followers. Even you must admit that. I am afraid that the time of my successor's ascension is coming quickly. But I don't bring only sad tidings. There is still one mission that we will complete before the sands of my hourglass run out..."

All of the Templar immediately got to their feet and unsheathed swords or pulled battleaxes or warhammers from their backs in salute. If there had been any signs of fatigue or sore muscles from their sitting in one position for so long, it was not shown.

"I am happy to see that you all are ready to take on this task. It will not be easy, and I would be telling untruths if I were to say that it was not going to be a gruesome task. But before I reveal what I have seen, I must ask that you send messages to the temples of the elements that they send their greatest magi and summoners. A message must also be taken to the war academy of the To'Yaree to ask they send their best warriors. Do this, and then you will hear the words of prophesy that I have for you my Templar. Bring the best fighter and healers our planet has to my temple, and we shall all set out on a journey that will no doubt change us all."

The warriors of the Avatar nodded, and then headed out to bring his message to all of the outlying temples and villages.

=======Temple of the Winds============

The first of the Templar arrived at the temple just before sundown and waited outside of the gates while the sentries guarding the temple went to fetch the head master. When the human looked over the wall's edge, the templar raised his shield so the light would play off the golden symbol of an eye atop a mountain, the sign of the Avatar.

"I come bearing a message from He Who Sees. I request an audience with you, Master Al'orith."

The male atop the wall nodded and shouted down to the gatekeepers, and soon the large wooden doors seperated just enough for the messenger to come in. As he did, the Templar removed his helm and relinquished his blade to the keepers of the gate, as was proper when entering the holy training grounds of a temple.

Before he could turn and call up to the master of the temple, the human stood before him. Speed always was a benefit of being a wind magi.

"Now, what is this message that the Avatar wishes you to send to me? We are the closest to his temple, yet we hear the least of his dealings." Al'orith said softly, his voice strong as he turned to lead the messenger towards the tower where his chambers were, as well as the kitchen and mess hall.

The wind temple's uniform was modest, a simple grey shirt tucked into black pants and black leather boots. They were all given a gold signet when they graduated though, a sword and staff crossed in the foreground while a cloud rested in the background. Also, for when the weather was not pleasant, they would wear cloaks of a deep thundercloud grey that no matter the winds around them, never seemed to move. It was eerie to say the least, and of all the temples, the messanger wished he hadn't gotten the task of speaking to Those who ride the winds.

"The Avatar wishes to ask that you send your best wind magi and summoners to his temple. He has just returned from a journey to the world of souls, and apparently there is something that needs our immediate cooperation." The gold armored fox stated simply as they walked through the mess hall and up the stairs towards the master's chambers.

Al'orith rubbed his chin in thought. It was no question he would send students, for one did not deny the Avatar a request. To do so would mean that they would be cut off from the protection of the Templar if such was needed, and in the past there had been times when the offending temple's magic had been completely cut off, the students culled of any ability to weild the art ever again. But he could not send the very best, for if the temple needed protection, Master Al'orith would need those with skill to defend their home.

"You put me in an odd position, Messenger. I wish to send the very best, but I cannot offer more than my best students. I cannot afford to send any of their instructors, for if something should happen that would require the defense of our temple, I would want the most capable and powerful of my brethren." Finally came the wind master's comment as he ushered the Templar into his chambers and offered a glass of fine Fenapple wine.

"I understand fully, but do you not trust that He will protect your temple should anything happen? As you stated, you are the closest temple to the Avatar's own, it wouldn't even take half a day to get the full might of the Templar to your gates." The vulpine retorted, sitting down in a chair off to the side of the doorway, taking the wine with a slight smile.

"It's not that I doubt Him. It's that half a day might be too long to wait if the Stalkers of Shadow should attack. The Templar are a mighty force, but they lack the speed of my ilk. I will offer you what I can, the Avatar can be assured of that. I have my students' safety to think about foremost. But let us not talk of that now. I ask that you stay with us tonight and return in the morning to your own master, giving him the news that the very best students of the Wind temple will arrive with you."

====Water Temple=====

Initially the meeting with the Waterlords went the same as with the Walkers of Wind. What was different however, was that the messenger, a female bat, had actually studied at the temple before being selected for the Avatar's Templar. So when she arrived to speak with the master, it was like a homecoming. And this led to a much more positive outcome.

"So you see, Sir, the Avatar needs you to send your best wavemasters and seacallers to his temple. He will reveal the specifics once we arrive there." The messenger stated after pleasantries had been exchanged and a light lunch was prepared.

The aged face of the otter wrinkled in thought as he stroked this white beard that cascaded from his chin in wispy strands.

"I see. Our temple has been in his debt since he calmed the great waves years ago. We cannot deny him his request, or his wisdom in sending one of our own back to deliver the news. I will personally lead the group of my finest to his temple. We will make sure that he knows at the very least we of the waves will not shirk our duty to the protection of our land..."

Both members of the Kapua smiled as they looked out the window at the glittering ice that made up the thick walls and towering sharp spires of the temple of water, as memories flooded back to them both, some pleasent, others painful.

====Temple of Life and the Forests====

"No. I am sorry but I cannot spare any of my druids at this time. The attacks from the Mokoi and the Dark Dwellers has increased over the last few weeks, and we can barely keep the forests safe for travellers and merchants. I wish that I could help, but I cannot spare anyone..." The forest lord shook his head and sighed, this request could not have come at a worse time.

The summer was coming, and that meant that more fires were sure to start as the heat rose near the borders with the Boglands, and that meant that the Druids of Life Temple would have to be ready to move at a moment's notice. On top of that was the odd increase of shadowbeast activity, merchants with their full carts of goods were disappearing without a trace, and it fell on those who were supposed to be protecting the forests to get to the bottom of it.

"But as a gesture of good faith, I will send a single person. That's all I can afford to send at this time. But do not worry, he is not some pup fresh to the temple. He has shown great promise in summoning the beasts of the woods, and I think he will be a fine addition to the force your lord is setting up...When you are prepared to leave, I will make sure that he is ready as well."

The Forest Lord smiled as best he could, but the lines of stress were evident on his muzzle and around his eyes as the big horned sheep turned to speak to one of his assistants who had been standing nearby. The smaller being listened intently as his lord told him to summon Swift River, and to tell the fox to pack for a long journey and to include his summoning supplies. The little messenger chittered and ran up the trunk of the large tree that served as the student quarters, ducking in through one of the windows.

"He will be down shortly. Please accept my apologies, but I need to get back to my advisors and our work." Bowing at the waist, the Forest Lord turned and would head across the courtyard into a small log building.

=========

The other temples were quick to respond with their own problems and concerns, but all sent at least one member to represent them. When the messengers got to the War Academy, and the odd training grounds of the Boogeywalkers, both groups were more than willing to send large groups. The To'Yaree warriors sent two entire companies of soldiers, and the Voodoo practicing Boogeywalkers sent fifteen of their very best witch doctors and voodoo queens to aid the Avatar in whatever it was that he wanted them to do.

It would take several weeks for all of the messengers to return with their collected forces. And then another week of staying at the temple of the Avatar before the Gnarlpaw would reveal anything about the reason all of them had been called.

"Understood," Swift River replied, while fishing something from his pocket to feed the messenger, he then picked up one of his deerskin packs and began to gather supplies. "A long journey," he spoke primarily to himself, "I wonder what needs me to travel such a distance?"

After packing his supplies and putting on a clean sleeveless vest and shorts and grabbed his walking stick, he came down with his two packs and was surprised not to see the Forest Lord but rather a Templar. Swift River's ears stood at attention, until the shock wore off and hurried down, "Ah, ah I'm sorry," yipped the nervous fox as he limped rush his way down to drop his bags and knelled in respect, "I am Swift River," was all he could think of saying, his mind filled with many questions, as well what procedure he should be doing.

With a soft laugh, the Templar laid his hand on Swift River's shoulder, shaking his head.

"You need not bow to me, Young One. I am just like you, a student. Just because I am further down the path of enlightenment does not mean that I am any better than you, and you are any lower then me. Come on, you should rise so that we might start off. We have a long way to travel, and only a very short time to do it in. I tried to get the Avatar to lend us transportation, but he was unable to make a bargain with the Sha'Nai spies for one of their airships. Unfortunately, that means that the two of us will be making most of the journey on foot. I hope that will not be a problem."

The large male smiled and waited for the young fox to rise and answer the questions. If things wouldn't work out that way, the Templar was sure that the Forest Temple would be able to furnish a cart and something to pull it with.

"My apologize," Swift River replied as he stood up, "well walking isn't a problem for me," started the fox as he walked out of the room to outdoors, "if we are in a rush I would otherwise need help from my partner, Blue Moon."

Blue Moon is typically in a howls distance, so summoning wouldn't be necessary, he thought once outside, he made sure to stand away from the Temple a bit and then made a series of howls, then waited to hear the reply. After hearing a faint reply, he turned back to the Templar, "He will be here shorty, I asked him to bring food as well."

Odom briskly marched into the room, saluted, and stood at attention.

“Be at ease, brother,” said one of the paladins.

Odom widened his stance a bit, and looked around. About a dozen paladins were seated along a long bench that was curved into a semi-circle, and all of them were facing him, for he stood at the semi-circle's center. Odom gulped nervously. Seated in front of him were the Elder paladins. They were the leaders of the Order of Freya, and therefore they were the leaders of all he had ever known, despite his limited knowledge of the outside world.

“Do you know why we have called you here today, Brother Odom?” asked one of the paladins sitting to Odom's far left.

Odom looked at the source of the question. It was his father. Odom allowed himself a silent sigh of relief. “Aye, Brother Fenton. I am here to accept my first official mission as a full fledged paladin.”

“Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves here, Brother Odom,” said one of the paladins seated near the center of the bench. He looked down at some documents in front of him, and then ceremoniously shuffled them against his lap. “We have read and reviewed the reports on your final test. You dragged one of the wounded acolytes to safety while under small arms fire. Impressive, Brother Odom. Well done.”

Odom accepted the compliment with a nod. “I was only doing my duty, sir.”

“Now, Brother Odom,” asked one of the paladins seated to Odom's right, “Was it true that this acolyte owed you lunch money?” The other Elder paladins gave good-natured guffaws and chuckles.

Odom did not seem to realize that it was a joke. “I would have saved him regardless, sir. He is a colleague and a friend. Our monetary arrangement did not cross my mind.”

The paladin holding the papers smiled amicably and nodded. “We believe you, Brother Odom. In any case, we simply wanted to congratulate you again on becoming a full member of The Order... Now, onto the business of your first mission...”

Odom turned to look at his father. The old Phod returned his gaze with pride in his eyes. Odom wondered if every paladin received his first mission directly from the Elders, or if he was getting special treatment.

When Odom turned to look at the paladin holding the papers again, he saw that he was being handed a large folder. “Open it, Brother Odom,” instructed his father. “It contains the details of your first mission.”

The Templar smiled softly as he watched the young male do what he had been trained to do.

"That is a very useful talent you have inherited, Boy. You should be happy that your master taught you how to befriend the animals of our woods. That will grow into a life saving endeavor I can see. We really must make haste back to the Holy City, and then on to the Temple of the Avatar. Whatever it was that has him riled up, it is something that needs to be attended to with the utmost priority. I will begin the journey and when Blue Moon gets here, please have him assist you in catching up. I don't set a blistering pace, so it will not be difficult."

Smiling, the messenger ruffled River's hair and then turned to head into the woods that surrounded the Temple of the Wilds, humming a lilting, almost celtic seeming tune.

Odom opened the folder, picked up one of the documents inside, and examined it. His snout twitched in disbelief. “Extra-terrestrial contact mission? Really?”

The Elder paladins nodded. “That is correct,” answered his father.

“Sirs...” Odom scratched his head. “Surely someone from the Coalition Government's diplomatics corp would be more suitable for this mission... This is way out of our jurisdiction...”

“Well, according to our intelligence sources,” said one of the seated Phods, looking down at some papers on his lap and squinting, “according to... excuse me...” He retrieved a pair of spectacles hanging from his necklace and balanced them on his snout. “Ahem, as I was saying, we believe that this species we are trying to make contact with is a very war-like race. They are a race of warriors, with a strong martial code. This is why the Coalition Government has contacted us. They figured a people full of warriors would better relate to one of our warriors, more so than any pencil-pusher we could send.”

“'War-like', huh?” Odom frowned. “If that's true, they sound like a species we would rather avoid. What if I screw up? What if they declare war on us? I don't think the Yamataians want us to go causing that kind of trouble for them.”

“Read your mission profile more carefully, Brother Odom,” advised his father. “You will see why we deem it to be worth the risk.”

Odom looked down again, and scanned the documents he had been given. “Huh. They kind of look like us.”

“Exactly,” said the Phod wearing the spectacles, “Brother Odom, have you ever noticed how the Yamataians and the Nepleslians look very much alike?”

“Right, because they share the same ancestral roots. One species was created from the other through Yamataian science... Oh.”

Odom's father leaned forward. “We must find out if there is a connection between these Kohanaians and us, Brother Odom. Of course, it could all be a cosmic coincidence, but...”

“But it warrants further investigation,” replied Odom, nodding. “I see.”

Swift River nodded as the Templar left, "Alright, after all it shouldn't be too hard to follow his trail at least, ah Blue Moon there you are."

A large wolf dragging a corpse of an animal walked around a tree and up to River. The wolf was about as big as Swift River was with light blue fur coat, the animal in his jaw was only half his size. His glare wanted to know why he was summoned that required him to lose his prey.

"Ah sorry about that, ah that looks good. Anyway it seems the Forest Lord sent me on a mission to assist the Avatar." River walked up to Moon to pat him on the head, Moon looked away like he was in thought, "Ya, I wonder what it could be too," continued Swift River, "anyway we need to catch up with the Templar guy, I'll hold onto that."

The fox took the corpse and his bags and set them on Blue Moon, "Hope it isn't too heavy," he said, though Blue Moon seemed to give a snort like it was nothing. River finally sat on top the wolf, "Ok lets go," he said with a pat to the wolf's neck. Blue Moon then launched in a forward run, with Swift River holding on to the fur, following the trail that the left Templar behind.

The Templar, who finally introduced himself as Shrouded Mountain when River caught up, smiled at seeing Blue Moon trotting up. He gave a nod and turned to keep walking down the path.

"Aha, a very fine looking animal to have at your beck and call, Apprentice River. So tell me a little more about what you are learning at the Temple of the Wilds. Being as that I was never a true member of any temple, I am interested in what it is that they teach their students."

Mountain set a good pace, they would be out of the woods before nightfall, back on the plains that allowed for less cover, but much easier visual distance to see trouble coming. Less cover for them, but also much less for the Shadow Beasts that roamed the wilds consuming the souls of the unwary traveler.

"Or if you are not comfortable telling me that, tell me a little more about yourself that makes you such a dignified choice to be sending on this mission..."

Odom gave his documents one last examination, then widened his eyes in surprise. “No weapons? Really?”

His father cleared his throat. “Nothing that's not a part of your uniform, I'm afraid. Just your hand claws. It's a diplomatic mission after all.”

Odom shifted his weight uncomfortably. “Well... okay...”

“Any more questions, Brother Odom?” asked the Phod wearing the spectacles.

Odom adjusted his necklace, and saluted. “Just one: When do I leave?”

Two days later...

Odom stared in awe and wonder at the shuttle-craft.

Though he had been a resident of Everspring all his life, this was the first time he had been allowed access to the spaceport that was constructed after First Contact with Yamatai. And even though the spaceport itself was really nothing more than some concrete-and-steel landing pads hidden behind razor-wire fences and high security walls, it was the only one of its kind that the Coalition Government had allowed to be constructed on Ohara.

His father had come to see him off. “Are you ready, my son?”

“Am I ready to go meet a bunch of aliens, dad? Um, no,” Odom replied with a smile. He fidgeted with the straps of his brown cotton backpack, which contained most of his gear. “But I'm going to get on this... shuttle, anyway.”

His father's expression suddenly became very morose. “Listen... son... There is a reason why I asked your mother not to come with us to... this place. I didn't want her to hear this and worry.”

“What's that, father?”

“There's a chance you will not survive this mission. We are sending you as a first contact representative to a sentient species that we know very little about. You're barely armed and would have no way of getting reinforcements once you get there. From a purely tactical standpoint, this might as well be a suicide mission.”

Odom nodded. “Father, we're soldiers. There is a chance that we will not survive any mission.”

The old Phod blinked, and then laughed, conceding the point. “Well, as long as you know the risks, my son.”

“I do,” said Odom, suddenly embracing his father. “I'll try not to get killed, but if I don't make it, remind mother that I died in service of Freya.”

Fenton Stockwell, Paladin of Freya, veteran of many years, wiped away a single teardrop and hugged his son back. “Whatever happens, know that your mother and I love you and are so proud of you, Odom. Freya be with you.”

“And Freya be with you and mother.”

Some minutes later, Fenton watched as the shuttle-craft carrying his only child soar into the blue heavens above. He suddenly wished that he had fathered more children, though he could not quite explain why.

Blue Moon gave a look of suspicion to the Templar as he trotted up, but Swift River ignored him and conversed with the warrior.

"Well, I learn under the teachings of Great Oak, and hunt in my spare time. So I am typically away from the temple itself," answered River to the Templar's question. He looked up and wondered himself, "as for that question, I don't know. Great Oak had said I have an affinity to Wolf creatures, maybe that's my talent," Swift River chuckled to himself.

The independent courier and merchant ship, SS Jetstream, after obtaining permission from the local authorities, silently docked with KSS Imhotep, the space station in orbit around New Kohana. The merchant ship's manifest would declare that the ship carried some “luxury goods” in its cargo hold, namely some Phodian foodstuffs, for which the captain had hoped to find a buyer on Imhotep. The ship also carried one passenger, a Phodian diplomat.

Odom disembarked from the ship, turned around, and shook hands with the captain. “One last thing, sir...” inquired Odom. “You wouldn't happen to know how to get planet-side from here, would you?”

The Nepleslian captain scratched his beard. “You're a diplomat, correct, Mr. Stockwell? You probably want to announce yourself to Night Watches Over first.”

“I don't understand, sir.”

“That's his name. He's the big honcho around here. I've never met him myself, of course.” The captain stepped aside to allow some of his crew to emerge from the ship as well. They were mostly Nepleslian, as far as Odom could tell. The young sailors stretched their muscles and gave friendly smiles to Odom.

“In any case,” continued the captain. “Someone from the station should be around shortly to check up on our papers and our cargo. Make sure we're not smuggling illegal goods, that kind of stuff. They should be able to take you to him.”

The captain of the Jetstream had not been far off. While it was true the harbormaster was not waiting for them as they disembarked, the tall chestnut mare strode up shortly after they arrived and disembarked.

"Welcome to the Imhotep, Gentlemen. I hope your trip was a pleasant one. Now if I could just see your manifest we can get things all in order." Blazing Sky smiled softly, bowing to each of the Phodian visitors. And as she reached a large hand out, from behind her a loud squeal was loosed, and another darker shape started thudding over on heavy hooves.

"TEDDY BEARS!" Mud cried as she moved to grab Odom in her signature hugs.

"Mud, please don't embarass me in front of our guests. You have to stop hugging every single person who comes off of a ship here. They're gonna start thinking we're weird." Sky said softly, laying her hand on the other mare's shoulder and holding her just out of reach from the new Phodian diplomat.

Mud looked between Odom and Blazing Sky, confusion in her eyes.

"Bu-But they're teddy bears...Real life living teddys!" She insisted, as if this would make it all alright.

"Please excuse her, she used to be the cargo inspector until an accident left her a little, well, like this." Sky explained before turning her back to the Phodians and pulling Mud to look her in the face. After a short mumbled conversation, the smaller mare skipped off down the concourse, while Sky turned back to their guests.

"I truely apologize for that. Mud is kinda like our unofficial welcoming committee all by herself." She smiled softly and would again hold out her hand, already scanning over the things being unloaded while they talked.

========

The Templar nodded slowly as they made their way through the thick forests back towards the Avatar's temple. It would be many days at least before they would get to civilization, so the holy warrior thought it quite fortunate that he would be traveling with one well versed in calling and speaking with some of the best hunters and trackers in the Kohanian forests.

"I must admit, I am a bit jealous. Many would think that the life as the Avatar's bodyguards would be a luxurious one but they would be wrong. The life of a Templar is very difficult. We have to constantly be vigilant, especially now. It is nearing the end of Our Master's rule of the ancient knowledge, and very soon he will be taking an apprentice to pass on the knowledge to. So now our job will be to protect the current Avatar as his time wanes like the moon, while also finding and bringing safely the next in the line of spiritual counselors."

With a shrug, he would brush aside some low hanging branches and allow River and Blue Moon to go past, before he too would follow and jog to catch back up.

"But you haven't told me much about yourself...If you wouldn't mind sharing, I would love to hear more about you, Swift River."

"There isn't really much to know, really," replied Swift River with a shrug, "I only became a summoner because of an accident when I was a youngling. Even further that it was by random accident that I met my master in the first place."

Blue Moon then let a low growl and walked forward oddly to show his discontent.

"Though I don't think Blue Moon want me talk about it. He would get embarrassed on the later parts," he chuckled as a jab to when Blue Moon was a young pup.

The wolf seemed to make a huff then continued on normally, content with what Swift River had said.

Odom's military training was all that kept him from fleeing in terror as the tall... humanoid tried to hug him. His briefing and the intelligence documents he had been given had utterly failed to impart the sheer size differential between him and the Kohanians. Odom instinctively took a step back, then stood his ground, staring up at the two mares.

While Odom mentally took stock of the situation, the captain handed Blazing Sky a data pad containing the ship's cargo manifest. “Here you go, ma'am. My cargo this time is entirely high grade Phodian foodstuffs. Why, those Baytown hot cakes will sell like... well, hot cakes! Isn't that right, Mr. Stockwell?”

“... Hmm? Ah, yes. You gave me a sample earlier... It's good. Very spicy...” Odom remarked, keeping his eyes on Mud in case she tries to hug him again.

“Ah! But where are my manners!” exclaimed the captain. “Harbor-master, ma'am, this here is my passenger, Mister Odom Stockwell. I've been informed that Mr. Stockwell is a diplomat of sorts from the Ohara system. He has been sent here to establish diplomatic contact with your government.”

Odom nodded, and seemed to have collected himself. “I am pleased to meet you, madam,” he said to Blazing Sky, regurgitating the lines he had been told to memorize. “And I offer warm greetings from the people of Ohara.”

“I've been asked to make sure that Mr. Stockwell is taken to someone who normally receives foreign dignitaries on this station,” added the captain.

The crew of the merchant courier kept their distance from Blazing Sky and Mud, and waited for their captain's signal to begin unloading. The ship's engineer began inspecting the hull for damage.

Blazing Sky grinned softly at the reaction. It was a common one from those that met her, and almost a guaranteed reaction to Mud. Taking the datapad, the harbormistress began to scan over it, only half listening to the banter about what the goods were. Hearing Odom's words, she looked up and bowed.

"And a warm greeting to you as well, Mr. Stockwell, from the people of Kohana. And I assure you that those on the surface will mean you no harm."

Looking back to the ships captain, she would hand him the datapad back, having copied the manifest from it to check things off as they were removed from the ship, and placed in a holding area specially designated for them.

As she was taking the look of the Phodian visitors, she was flanked by two new figures. A black suit clad white tiger, and a tall buxom vixen who wore a modest skirt and white blouse, with a violet blazer buttoned over it. And between them, leaning on his silver tipped cane, was Night Watches Over.

"Good afternoon, Gentlemen. My name is Night Watches Over, and I am the administrator of this station. If Mr. Stockwell needs transport to the surface of Kohana, it will go through me. As will any requests for money, goods, or services, should they be needed. If you would like to come with me, Sir, I am sure that Blazing Sky here can take care of the supervision of the unloading process, and you can tell me why it is that a race from under the protection of The Empire, would come to visit up here in Imperium space..." Waving a hand to the open concourse, Night bowed with measured composure.

=====

The Templar looked over the wolf when it huffed, listening to Swift River tell his story. "I see. Well that is very...interesting." He was obviously not comfortable with the situation, and sort of expected River to tell more about him. But he guessed that the fox was just a very humble person, which was good, but it made for difficult travel as there was little to keep their minds busy as they tread through the warmth of the mid day.

Swift River never minded long distance travel, patience was built into him as a hunter and enjoyed taking in the ever changing scenery while Blue Moon kept an eye out for dangerous things. After some time though, he felt like he may have been missing out on things since the outside news was not something to his interest, so Swift River asked his Templar escort, "What is going currently in the world, and what is the Avatar like?"

Odom walked over to Night Watches Over and bowed. “Greetings to you, sir. My name is Odom Stockwell, of the Ohara system. My government have sent me here to establish peaceful diplomatic contact, and I extend to you their wishes for warmest friendship and cooperation. I must admit that I also found it strange, when I was given this assignment, that I should travel so far on a diplomatic mission. However, I would be happy to explain the motivations of my superiors to you, while I walk with you.” Odom tugged at the wide straps of his backpack, signaling that he was ready to walk.

“Ah, Mr. Stockwell, before you leave, sir,” said the merchant ship captain. “Perhaps you should declare the contents of your luggage to the harbor-master.”

Odom turned to look at Blazing Sky, and then back at Night Watches Over. “Of course. I must apologize, as I do not travel often and am not familiar with the rules. The captain informed me that it is customary in many cultures to declare weapons and other suspicious items that one carries, when crossing political boundaries. There is a pair of steel hand-claws in my backpack. I would not have carried weapons with me on a diplomatic mission, but these are a part of my uniform, and the traditions of my people dictate that I carry them with me whenever possible. However, given these extraordinary circumstances, I would be happy to temporarily surrender them to Master Night Watches Over or Mistress Blazing Sky, provided that they are returned to me when I return home.”

To say that Night Watches Over was not intrigued by the individual addressing him would have been a lie. The Jackal's ears twitched as they talked, and then when the captain of the ship spoke, he turned and looked to Blazing Sky. With a wave of his hand, she would nod and look into the bag. She would not touch it however, and just looked back with a nod.

"That will not be necessary, Mr. Stockwell. We here on the Imhotep have a respect for those who are honest about their intentions and share a common respect with us. There will be no need to surrender your weapons at this time. But do keep in mind that security here is run with a careful eye out for those wishing to do my people harm."

Motioning with a wide sweep of his arm, the administrator would motion for them to continue on their way.

"So you say that you have been sent here on a diplomatic mission from the Ohara system? My starmapping skills are not what got me this job, but I am guessing that you have traveled a great distance to get here, which then bears the question of why someone from so far away, would show such interest in my people and our culture?"

Tapping his cane twice, he began to walk down the concourse with the Phodian diplomat, looking around them at the shoppes and even smithies that were still operating around them, ready to answer any questions that might come up.

========================================

The Templar looked over at his companion and shrugged his shoulders.

"I must admit, Sir, I don't know much more about the world at large than you do. I spend most of my days in the Avatar's temple, guarding Him as he meditates. Very infrequently are we sent out on errands such as this. But what little I have heard, I get from the people coming to the temple to beg for the Avatar's guidance or assistance. From these reports and requests I have been able to find out that the civil war is almost completely over. The humans have given up in the face of mounting threats from the Nether Reach and leaders of the War Academy."

Shifting uncomfortably in his armor the Templar continued.

"Also, there are rumors that She of the Night has again began plans to assassinate the Avatar, including working with off worlders to create a new race of Mokoi, larger and more dangerous than anything we have ever seen. It is rumored that she is trying to amass her own army to take over the throne and demand that Gnarlpaw give himself over to her for crimes against the Sovereignty. Other than that, the world has continued to spin and we continue to follow what guidance we are given from the gods."

Swift River had listened intently on the words from his Templar companion, "Woah, really? I never knew such happenings that had occurred during each of my hunts. The world is truly large place," said the fox in bewilderment of great events happening in each casual day of his life.

"Hey old man," he began to ask a question again, though beginning to feel more casual, "Does any of that have to do with me being summoned? I really don't feel like I would be suitable as an anti assassin, if that was the case." He then chuckled at the idea of himself in such a serious profession, though also the sign of his nervousness at the weight of whatever role he may be put into.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back