• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Kohanian Salvage Operation

AoK

Inactive Member
I brought this question up to the IRC last night, and have been giving it somet thinking today, but I need to get an answer that would span multiple factions:

I was going over the Military Equipment wiki pages and began to wonder if it would be alright if I say that the Kohanians are using old tech from other nations that crashed or was jettisoned and fell onto Neo Kohana, to piece and part together a working undercover tech society. Sort of like the Nether Reach scientists have found some if it, and are trying to figure out it's uses and stuff?

I need to know what factions this would be cool with, what factions it isn't cool with, and someone to speak on behalf of the Elysians on if it's still alright if I use some of their stuff.

Currently it is rudimentary at best, but the answer to your question, Doshii is that yes they do have the ability to do small things like PA and weapons, but ships and widespread technological engineering is out.

They have used the Imhotep station to gain the knowledge and training, and have begun salvaging things like the crashed shuttles of Yui and her party, as well as Shadow's ship, and other brick a brack around the planet. But I don't want to say what they find until I get the green light to play that card.

Powered armor is inordinately complicated to design, though. Do you know how hard it is to put that many systems in a fighter jet or tank? How much more for a suit that is supposed to weight a tenth of that and still be a viable platform for combat?

Weapons are also much harder to define. Sure, you can easily reverse engineer an FN P90 with Renaissance technology because gunpower has already been invented and firearms is starting to become mainstream, but a pre-'physics' society grasping particle beam cannons, pulse lasers and nuclear fusion missiles is sort of like a child being asked to discover how the Large Hadron Collider works.

Don't underestimate complex engineering just because the factions that are written like they're in a sci-fi setting have a good grasp of it.

Exhack said:
Powered armor is inordinately complicated to design, though. Do you know how hard it is to put that many systems in a fighter jet or tank? How much more for a suit that is supposed to weight a tenth of that and still be a viable platform for combat?

Don't underestimate complex engineering just because the factions that are written like they're in a sci-fi setting have a good grasp of it.

It's entirely possible, though, that some Kohanians have the knowledge to pick up on and learn some of the new scientific concepts. There are Kohanians outside of Kohana and even some in the Nepleslian military as well; it's entirely possible that some might have returned to Kohana with a better understanding.

'course, that's all up to AoK whether or not they have to capacity to simply UNDERSTAND (not exactly replicate) the science behind such things.

Also, while it could be difficult to recreate some of the science, I'd say it's entirely possible to actually USE the things they find. Guns are so easy to use it's silly.

On that note, Moon, I HAVE to use a line Doshii used shortly after I, or he, whichever came later, joined the site.

"Guns: The original point and click interface."

And Ex, to address what you brought up, I am totally understanding that. What I am saying is that with this project the Nether Reach, Kohana's premiere scientific sommunity will be given the green light to start mentioning that they are finding this tech from whichever factions give the okay, and starting to study it. I am trying to set a precedent that the Kohanians have at least SEEN the current level of tech, that way should I get a brave soul who wants free license to begin designing Kohanian tech be it guns, PA, ships, what have you, I don't have to go through the red tape of "But you can't just pull that out your arse".

I am not saying they will be building this stuff, I am saying they will have it in a lab, with many Kohanian scientists who have been studying what information Night Watches Over can smuggle down to them in transmissions from the Imhotep, will be oohing, ahhing, and poking poking with pencils.

If it's PA that is allowed to be studied, they would be totally unpowered, due to degradation or damage to fuel/power supplies. They would have a suit of metal and stuff standing in a containment tube or something, with the scientists studying the whats and the hows of it. They are trying to understand the stuff that goes on outside of their planet in anyway possible.

It's like Wes said, he doesn't want me using stuff that's already been shown off, he wants me to come up with original content. What I need to do, though, is set up the foundation of the Nether Reach's plans to try and create that original content. (Hint Hint to all you freelance military stuff designers...)

I am just saying with this that I don't want to post up one day that suddenly the Kohanians are replicating the ELEMENT series, or MINDYs, and then have Wes, Moon, or the like telling me that it isn't cool that they have found a broken down one somewhere and are studying it.

To go from where I am, to where I need to be, I need stepping stones. This is the rock that will form those stones. That's all I am saying.

Can anyone name any battle fought over Neo Kohana? Because I can't think of one. Where's the salvage coming from then?

Shadow's shuttle coming down from the Nozomi, with that Yui and her little away team which happened to bring power armor with them.

Also, I was thinking that in the entire time the universe had been there, that there would have been other battles fought near the planet that would account for some parts and pieces falling to the planet before Shadow terraformed it.

If we wanna get technical, space debris can fly pretty far if it had some good force behind it. Might've taken a while, but hey, weirder things could and have happened.

If we wanna get REALLY technical and possibly hypothetical, battles between the NMX and Nepleslia could possibly yield such debris.

Translation to the above post. Over the years, just drift. Or, if the ship was destroyed while moving, or some sort of explosive force, or anomaly was within the area to give it a nudge, it'd drift and keep going. Some of the battles that took place here, some fifteen IC years ago, could theoretically have come close enough to Neo Kohana...some may not have. It just depends on how close it was at the time. But as Moonie put it,

"Weirder things could and have happened."

The more important question would be.

What effect would newly discovered tech have on the culture?

For example how would the Tikbalang feel about an gunpowder weapons or gasp energy weapons being made available. They pride themselves on being the best at battle prowess, so how would they feel about a weapon that could make a Nagual a match for one of them.

In response to Nashoba's question, I need to again remind you guys that the things I am looking to find, will not work. I am bringing this up to try and set prescedent. I am trying to use this as an opportunity for finding things and getting the Kohanians thinking and wondering what all of this is and does.

To actually answer the posed question, it would mean adaptation and evolution of a culture, which is a good thing. The Tikbalang do pride themselves on being the best in battle, but when Yui came down and smoked Shadow they began to see that there are those from off planet that could beat them with their Armor of the Gods, (Power Armor).

What I am asking here, is what factions would be alright if some of their older stuff was found lying around and the Kohanian scientists start poking and prodding at it, generating ideas of what it might be, and how it might be used.

In a way, it would be similar to a certain faction in District 9. Though I wonder if one such Kohan faction would just plain horde the stuff declaring them as "Holy artifacts" and one that is forward thinking that just plain wants to further their own race.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back