• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

[Kyoto] Kiss Me Goodbye And Write Me While I'm Gone

DocTomoe

Yamatai - Kyoto - Commercial District - Shopping Center

Few things were as predictable as the behavior of people in civilized society at certain times of the day. It was early-evening, work for most people had just let out, and with the freedom from the day's labor came the opportunity to use the money which was earned from such efforts.

This event was most prominent in Yamatai's ever-so-popular shopping centers. People moved from store to store like some sort of herd. Of course, every herd also had it's predators which waited to pick off members of the traveling swarm.

In the crowd were a group of Nekovalkryja clad in Star Army of Yamatai space deployment uniforms. Clutched in their arms were stacks of folded papers, papers which they handed out to the passing shoppers. One of the Nekovalkryja fixed her gaze to a man she found rather handsome which walked in her general direction. "Hello sir, could I interest you in a flier?" She asked as she bowed lightly.

His white hair flowed just slightly with every light step Krian took, eye however downcast to the floor as his mind was lost in thought. He hardly paid any mind to those around him and even his sister and mother hissing at him from behind. Their words stung, but he was more used to it then he was in the past.

"Its your fault you know! We are short on money cause of your damn schooling! You should come up with something!" his mother spat as she slightly pushed his arm.

Krian sighed heavily and glared at her as his air headed sister skipped behind them, looking inside the windows of shops and acting half her age. "I know this Mother. Yet I don't know what you want me to do..." He thought about his words and how true they were, knowing all to much there was little he could do to help his brother.

His little bookshop had little money to help even and it was looking like he was gonna have to work two jobs to help. But as his mind wandered Krian nearly ran into a woman who soon addressed him and caught him by surprise. His crystal blue eyes looked to the Nekovalkryja and widened as she spoke to him. And it all started to dawn on him. "A flier? Sure... I guess I wouldn't mind one."

His mother hissed behind him and looked over his shoulder. "Tsk. You're too girly to join any military. You'd come home crying that you broke your nail! Ha!"

The Nekovalkryja shifted her gaze to the woman which harassed the rather kind seeming gentleman. "Excuse me ma'am." She said as she frowned softly. "I would like to remind you that our Empire's finest heroes have been women. Maybe your son may not look strong on the outside, but that does not matter if he has what it takes on the inside." After shaking her head softly for a moment she sighed. "Sorry... well sir, if you'd like to have an opportunity to maybe enlist, feel free to stop by our recruitment station down the way from here." The Neko then pointed down the shopping center walkway, her four-fingered hand gestured in the direction of a sign which read "SAoY Recruitment Station".

His mother narrowed her blue eyes at the Neko and turned her head as if she was not to speak to her. Krian however smiled kindly and nodded at the recruiter and happily took the flier from her. "Thank you. I'll think about it." He raised the flier slightly and soon took to walking again, his mother soon at his heels.

His sister marched up to the Nekovalkryja and glared at her, soon swiping a flier from her hand and sticking out her tongue and quickly followed after her mother. She walked up to his side and looked at his flier instead of her own and scoffed. "You're honestly considering it?! Mother?! Is he going crazy as well?"

The cold gaze his mother had been giving him soon changed to and odd sort of kindness when looking at her daughter. "I believe so, Kaori. But if he wants to do this let him. It wont take him long to realize how rough it is and he'll come crying home."

Kaori giggled and nodded. "I bet."

"Please?! Just shut up you two! If you want me to help then let me work this out my own damn way!" Krian snapped as he stopped in front of the SAoY Recruitment Center. He looked up at the lettering and thought heavily on it and before long his mother smirked and pushed him.

"Well! Go on! We'll be waiting out here, pansy boy!" His mother said, her voice mocking him.

Upon being pushed in, the potential recruit would find himself in a rather humble office staffed by a pair of Nekovalkryja whom were in the process of talking with one another.

"I'm telling you, the Type 30A uniform is just a step back in regard to us being taken seriously." One of the Nekovalkryja said as she fussed with the uniform skirt which she wore.

"Hush, you know we don't need to be in bodysuits all the time, they get stuffy." Replied the other before she shifted her gaze to the newcomer. "Oh, pardon us, welcome to the Star Army of Yamatai recruitment center... I see you got one of our fliers there in your hand. I take it you're interested in finding out more about the service?"

Krian had stumbled in only slightly after being pushed in by his mother, looking back he glared heavily at her and hated the way she thought he'd chicken out. But after adjusting his silky button down shirt he looked to the Nekos and listened to them speak. "Well... I honestly like the short sleeve. It shows a bit more skin thus showing your femininity more then the long sleeve. However, the long sleeve has its advantages as well, like appearing to be more business like, and in all honesty, you both look just fine in both of your uniforms." He smiled and cleared his throat, looking to the one that spoke to him and bowed slightly. "Yeah. I got the flier. I was just wanting to know... If I join... What are the benefits of doing such?" Krian looked to one Nekovalkryja to the other and sighed. "I am sorry for butting in on your conversation." He shrugged and looked around the room aimlessly and brushed his soft bangs out of his face, but in vain, as they soon fell back to their place.

The seemingly more mature of the pair decided to take up the recruitment effort while her fellow recruiter went about fussing over her skirt still... while covering one of her arms with her hand. Apparently she disliked showing off skin.

"Well sir, if you'd take a seat we can discuss some of the benefits of enlistment, and the greater benefits as you rise through the ranks." The Nekovalkryja gestured to the chair before her desk as she smiled softly. She had the smile of someone kind... yet not really. It was the smile of a shark in all honesty, but her feminine features took the edge off of it, making it look quite innocent.

He watched the Nekovalkryja who fussed with her uniform and his eyes soon shifted off of her and looked to the other now offering him a seat. Krian walked over calmly and sat down, crossing his long legs, that were dressed in white skinny jeans. His vibrant blue eyes watched her cautiously, taking note to her smile and knew that this must have been a fun job for her. Though he fiddled with his star earrings with his thin fingers and smiled calmly. "Well... How exciting. Two lovely ladies helping me into the service. What man could as for more? So... What am I looking at here, lovely?"

The smile of the woman shifted a bit from her recruiter's face to the face of a charmed woman as she was referred to as 'lovely', an expression with a dash of a soft blush and a glance away. However, she soon returned to the expression which came with her job.

"Upon enlistment? A three-thousand KS enlistment bonus right out of basic. You will also have a range of benefits available. Housing, life insurance of one-hundred Thousand KS in value. Medical and dental coverage, including three cosmetic procedures a year..." She explained, going down a list which she had in her mind.

Krian shifted his gaze down to the desk before her and thought for a moment, rubbing his fingers along his chin, the purple nail polish sparkling a tiny bit in the light. "Medical... Does that include my family being covered?" He looked out through the glass door and glared at his mother who was watching with a satisfied smirk on her face. "And would it be possible to list who is on the medical and who I don't want on it?" His eyes looked back up at the Neko and watched her with rather intense eyes and soon lowered his hand from his handsome face.

"How many individuals are we talking about?" The recruiter asked as she thought over the question. It seemed simple enough, at least for the moment.

"I only want one on the medical. The rest of my vulturous family can remain off." Krian watched her calmly. "Would that be a problem?"

The recruiter shifted her gaze to the woman in the window. They looked well enough off... but the woman looked like a total bitch. "Tell me, does that woman in the window dislike the person you're requesting medical for?"

He smiled and laughed a bit, shaking his head and placing a hand to his forehead. "That woman hates everyone in the family. Granted its just my brother, sister, her and I now, but she only really cares for her daughter. She'd rather have my brother and I dead." Krian sighed and looked to her, still smiling somehow. "She is more then likely happy about this idea cause she thinks she'll get something out of this. Thus why I'd rather not have her and my sister on my medical, if I sign up for this."

"Alright, I'm going to give you a special deal..." The recruiter pulled out an electronic data pad and held it out in front of the potential recruit. She tapped at it with a stylus and upon it appeared the details of the medical benefit and the life insurance benefit. "I can put your brother down as the sole benefactor for the life insurance and medical, we don't usually do medical for family, but I'm going to make you a deal. We'll reduce your life insurance benefit by half... but in the process we'll put your brother on medical coverage for the duration of your service. That seem good?"

His eyes grew wide and looked over the data pad carefully and sighed. Life insurance in half? He was about to throw his life away for a military service and she wanted to cut his life insurance in half? At this point, Krian didn't care. His brother would be getting the help he needed and he would do anything for him, obviously. He bit his shimmering bottom lip and soon nodded. "Alright. I'll do it. If it means he is safe from them, then where do I sign?"

The recruiter reached into her desk and pulled out a stack of documents. On the documents were a listing of requirements and obligations for service. Nothing in fine-print, it was all spelled out clear as day, and at the bottom of the sheet was a line which beckoned for a signature.

"Right here... but do read the document, it is required that you do." The recruiter stated as she looked upon the recruit-to-be.

Krian blinked at how fast she pulled out the documents and he soon scooted closer and looked over the papers, reading carefully and yet quickly, as he read all the time. Finally he came to the end and raised his brow, lifting the paper slightly for him to see and he very quietly read the oath to himself. I, ______, have truthfully, honorably, and voluntarily enlisted myself as a soldier in the Star Army of Yamatai for the next three years (or until discharged). I vow to protect the peoples of Yamatai, to follow the orders of the Empress and the officers appointed over me, to obey Star Army rules and regulations, and to destroy the enemies of Yamatai." He placed the papers back down, soon picking up a pen and holding it right above where he was to sign and he quickly looked up at the Nekovalkryja with wide eyes. "You're not going to shave my hair, are you?"

"No, we're not going to shave your hair. There are plenty of people who serve in the Star Army of Yamatai who have hair just as long as yours." The recruiter replied as she looked to him. She looked at his hair and thought of what kind of shame it would be if it did have to be shaved.

He let out a great sign of relief and smiled, soon the sound of pen on paper filled the quiet room and Krian signed his name on the blank and looked at his signature, feeling as though he had just signed his life away. He placed the pen down and a heavy weight fell in the pit of his gut as he thought about all the things he had to do, and how he couldn't screw this up like he did with his schooling.

"Recite the oath please." The recruiter requested as she looked at his signature, the oath came next. Partially it was formality, another part of it was a tradition of the service.

His eye twitched slightly and he sighed, frowning a bit at how ridiculous reciting it was, but Krian did as he was told. "I, Krian Pearl, have truthfully, honorably, and voluntarily enlisted myself as a soldier in the Star Army of Yamatai for the next three years. I vow to protect the peoples of Yamatai, to follow the orders of the Empress and the officers appointed over me, to obey Star Army rules and regulations, and to destroy the enemies of Yamatai." He crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair looking up at her rather harshly.

The recruiter stood up and held out her hand to Krian. "Welcome to the Star Army of Yamatai." She said as she offered her hand for a traditional deal-sealing handshake.

Krian's eyes widened as she offered him her hand and he soon stood up and took it. "Uhh... Thanks?" He said unsure of what to say to that. "So... Now what?" He asked as he scratched his cheek seeing as how he was new to this kind of thing.

After the handshake she smiled... now it was full on what it was. "You're in service to the Empire now. Head home, pack up one bag of personal belongings, then put in a call for a vehicle to pick you up and deliver you to the Kyoto Spaceport for basic training. You have seventy-two hours to report."

He sighed and nodded, letting go of her hand and nodded. "Understood. Man... I have to pack? I hate packing..." Krian said soon turning and soon stopping in front of the other Neko who fussed with her uniform. "I wouldn't worry at all. You look very pretty in that uniform and you should smile more. I bet you'd look prettier." Krian smiled and soon left the room, standing in front of his mother now who glared up at him.

"Well?! Did you do it?!" His mother asked harshly.

"Of course I did. And only Jun is on the benefits. I don't want you sucking out all of his money, you snake." His mothers jaw dropped as Krian pushed past her and walked away.

With the compliment from the new enlisted soldier, the Nekovalkryja puffed out her cheeks and looked away. She was clearly embarrassed... quite shy too.

On his whole way home Krian had to listen to his mothers harsh words and his sister's mocking, but their words never really sunk in as his mind was else where. Oddly though, he caught word that his mother would pack his things from his home while he said his goodbyes to his brother. And his heart lifted slightly to that. What was he to say? He refused to talk to Kri and anyone for that matter, but it didn't bother him. As long as he was by his side for the night.

It had already been nightfall when his mother dropped him off at his old home and she left to go get his things. Krian looked at the doors he forever hated and slowly walked up the path. His heart sinking with each dragging step. His hand touched the cold metal of the doorknob and he opened it and entered quietly. The house was oddly clean for how crazy his family seemed to be, and the lights were off, leaving it a deep black that blanketed the floors and furniture. But there was light up the stairs and from a room that Krian seemed to be headed for.

Within moments, he climbed the stairs and entered the room, staring at his twin. "Jun? I'm home." His brother looked to him but his eyes were pale and distant, no longer greeting him with a shine. Krian walked over to him and sat on the bed, watching him carefully. It was like starring in the mirror, honestly. They looked perfectly a like, except for mole placement and eye color. Jun stared at him as if his own brother, whom he once loved beyond the bond of brother hood, was a stranger. "Jun? I'm enlisted in the Star Army... It'll help with your medical... I promise it will."

His eyes fell to the floor as Jun tilted his head and blinked. "I can't help but feel that I have done this to you... And for that I have to make it right. I hope that one day, your mind will restore to the person I know." Krian leaned in and wrapped his arms around Jun and buried his face in his shoulders. "I'm so sorry I left... It was selfish of me... I should have come back when you asked."

Sadly Jun did not return the hug. He sat still and lifeless as he looked at the wall across the way. Krian pulled away, leaving his hands on his twins shoulders and looked at his face. "I love you, brother... If I get out of this okay... I will come back to care for you. I will love you like we were meant to love." He sighed and shook his head. "I think its time we got some sleep, right?" He stood up and closed the door to the room, knowing his mother would not bother them for the night, and turned the lights off.

At this Jun knew what it meant and laid down on his bed as Krian covered him caringly, but also, crawled into bed with him. They slept next to each other the whole night, Krian refusing to let his brother go till the morning.
The Next Day

There was a loud pounding on the door the next morning, and Krian forced himself awake. Frowning and moaning from the noise and soon a worse sound shouted from behind the door.

"Wake up, moron! You have to call them to pick you up!" Kaori kicked open the door and threw his clothes for the day on the bed as Jun woke up quickly and sat up to stare at her. She glared at them both and rolled her eyes "You guys are disgusting! I hope you get shot and killed, Kri. I can't stand seeing you!"

"Get out bitch!" Krian snapped as he quickly got out of bed and marching over to her. "Get out of his room! Now!" He pushed her and she raised her arms in the air.

"I'm telling Mother you touched me!!" Her red eyes livid as well as her fire red hair. "She'll have your head for this!" And she marched off down the hall.

Krian sighed heavily and got dressed in his new clothes, soon walking over to Jun. "I have to go... I'll return this time... I promise." And he kissed Jun lightly on the lips, and leaving him there alone. He made his way down the stairs and saw his bags and his mother smiling at him.

"Morning, Sweetie!" She said condescendingly. "I went ahead and called for you. They should be here any moment to pick you up."

"Oh goody..." Krian said with a curl to his lip and a glare for his mother.

Almost as if summoned by the whim of the woman a knock sounded at the door to the household. It was a firm and authoritative sound, the hallmark sound of a government official or representative.

Krian's heart sank and he picked up his bag, feeling that it was quite full. His sister shoved his violin into his free arm and glared. "Get shot." She said, and his mother said nothing.

"Go choke." Krian said back pushing her away from him.

"Good luck, dear." His mother said sweetly, something that was unbecoming of her.

Krian shook his head and walked past them, opening the door to stand before the official at the door.

The person at the door was clad in a blueish paneled uniform. He was about Krian's age, but the pin on his neck indicated he was a Joto Heisho, or to those unfamiliar with Yamataian rank, a Chief Petty Officer.

"You packed up?" The Heisho asked as he stood in a passive stance at the door. He seemed like he was in a hurry, yet he also seemed accommodating.

"Yeah, I guess." Krian said as he looked over the man before him and smiled widely. An odd smile from him for once, once as if a wolf was staring at fresh meat. "You wanna lead the way, hmm?" He stepped outside and the door slammed loudly from behind, though he did not jump from the sound, he was highly used to it. And the familiar sound of his mothers cackle from behind the door. "Lets just go, please?" He urged, almost as if he was in just as much of a hurry as the Heisho.

"Go ahead and put your bag in the back. Along the way I'll give you some advice. You'll need it." Came the soldier's reply as he turned to walk back to the light utility truck which he used to drive out to pick up the recruit. "Be sure to tie it down, lighter objects tend to bounce out of the open bed."

Kri leaned to the side to look at the vehicle and blinked, soon following his footsteps. He didn't say much but watched the Heisho with hungry eyes and he soon tossed in his bag and tied it down as instructed. Though his violin he kept at his side and it was placed nicely in his lap once he sat down in the passenger seat. He looked at how open the truck was and only feared for his hair now. He reached a hand into his pocket and was pleased to see purple ribbon and with it, tied up his hair into a high pony tail to keep it from getting tangled.

"You should tie that tight. You don't want your nice hair getting blown every which way." The Heisho commented as he buckled himself into his seat. All the while he noticed the look he was receiving from the new recruit. It was an amusing concept, but the recruit was fresh and new... It would be bad form to go along with what the recruit's body-language indicated, he was just too new for that.

He did tie it tightly; the ribbon hanging loosely in a bow. Krian smiled at the man driving and soon buckled himself in. "Trust me... Its tight. So? What is that advice you need to tell me, hun?"

With a turn of a key the truck started, soon the vehicle was in motion along the surface streets, on it's way to the open highway.

"Well, first thing is you need to put your desires behind your work-ethic. At least openly. That look you've been giving me for example. Some higher ups won't like that much." The Heisho explained as he navigated the slightly congested road. "Also, you're going to have to start looking at the collar of what a person is wearing before you look at their face. Know who you're talking to, rank is very big in this outfit. Bow to your superiors, higher up, the bigger the bow. They hate it when you don't bow."

He raised his brow as the Heisho spoke and he laughed lightly. "I'm going to be bad for business then. I have taught myself not to bow to anyone, given my past. But... Guess I can try to break that again." Krian didn't even comment on the look he mentioned, as if it never happened, or he ignored it all together. He held onto his violin with one hand and played with his earring with the other. "What else should I know?"

"Always a sir, ma'am, or mention of the person's rank if talking to a higher-up. Thats a big one, they get moody about that too." The driving Heishio explained as he turned onto the highway. "Keep your uniform clean, and your face pretty. They don't like unkempt soldiers."

"My face and uniform clean? Like that'll be hard for me to do!" Krian huffed and was slightly insulted as he touched his face with his fingers and frowned. "Sir and Ma'am? Ma'am? Don't the women hate that word?" He asked blinking a bit and thinking about all the times he called young women "ma'am" and how often the grew snippy with him. He sighed heavily and this was way he liked men more.

"Depends on the woman, the older higher ups don't mind it that much. But if they don't like it they'll let you know. Just be sure to use some sort of term indicating their higher status." The Heisho explained before a look appeared on his face which was tell-tale of remembering something. "Oh, officers are also the ones to start or end a conversation. Don't forget that either... But how about any questions that come to your mind?"

Kri looked to the guy next to him and thought for a minute before shrugging and looked away again. "Nope. None that come to mind. I assume I'm going right into training, so... If I have any questions, I'm sure I'll learn them there." He looked at the city passing by quickly and used his hand to keep his bangs from whipping him in the face. "I do have one question though... Is there a library where ever we are going?"

"Doubt you'll need one, you could just look up information on the PANTHEON network. However, if you are in need of books, I suppose you can track a library down, or have books delivered. Remember, once you get out of basic you'll be getting a routine paycheck." As the Heisho explained, he pulled off the highway and into the spaceport district of Kyoto. In the near-distance was a large complex which dominated the landscape. Kyoto starport, this would be where Krian's growth into a soldier would take place. "Well, we're pretty much here... It was good driving you, I'll leave you off at the reception area." With that, the Joto Heisho pulled the truck to a curb and put the vehicle in park while Kri unloaded his belongings.

Never need a library? These words were blasphemous to his ears. Krian always needed a library. He loved reading, and a little part of him died as he heard he wouldn't need one. Though his eyes scanned the area they pulled into and looked over every thing they possibly could. He sighed however, once the truck came to a stop and he soon got out. "Thanks for the lift, sir." Krian said soon bowing with an eye twitch. How he hated that feeling again. It wasn't long that he grabbed his things from the back and walked up the curb and looked up at the building. "I'm so going to regret this later." He said to himself before entering.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back