• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Miharu Kyoto: Leisure Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Iced cocoa. A perfect drink for any occasion. The cup bopped on the table, ice cubes rattling as Tom let out a contented sigh. He sat, legs crossed, under the green umbrella of an open-air cafe, his rustic wooden chair creaking as he slouched comfortably.

His hand reached towards the small plate that held a chocolate chip muffin. It was etched with a long, silver vine that sprouted small red roses against its white porcelain body.

He sniffed the baked treat, enjoying the fragrances of sugar and powdered cocoa. His nose twitched and his eyes twinkled with delight. This was a muffin fit for kings!

He waved the treat in the air with the smooth motions of a brush before biting into it with a grin. It was as much flourish he could provide to the deserving snack lest he embarrass himself in public.

A few crumbs fell onto his black sweater as he ate, but they were soon consumed as well, the Yamataian's fingers collecting and pinching the bits together before bringing them to his mouth.

He hadn't been in Kyoto long, but this was turning out to be a most wonderful time.

But it needed to be MORE wonderful. He pulled out his communicator and sent a text message to Yukari.

Yukari,

I hope your business is done soon because I'm enjoying the most wonderful cafe in the entire world and I'd love to save a seat for you.

Oh... did you want to invite anyone else too?

-Tom

Where Yukari was, at that time, was at a relatively out-of-the-way gunshop in Kyoto's civilian sector, near Kyoto Base. The store was the size of a small bedroom, but was packed to the walls with weaponry.

What Yukari was smelling was brass, steel and gunpowder, with hints of gun oil here and there. Sunlight from the outside was the only source of light.

Why Yukari was fondling various instruments of death was because she still felt ill-prepared for a boarding, which Kotori had made all too apparent would not be in their favor.

Who Yukari was bothering at the moment was a gruff old gun shop owner, who not only was turned off by Yukari's uniform, but her annoyingly pleasant demeanor.

"You are sure it is legal to sell such a weapon?" Yukari asked as she hefted the blue-and-matte-silver revolver in her hand.

"It's in my shop, lady," the man grunted from behind the glass counter, chewing on a long, thin plant of some sort. It was unlike anything Yukari had seen before, but then, the Nepleslian man was clearly not restricted by Yamatai's culture. He had smoking instruments hanging on a wooden panel behind the desk, and had on his hip a shiny revolver that did not appear to be made by Ketsurui Zaibatsu. There were plenty of

"The company that makes this weapon ... SiZi? What are they like?" The revolver was heavy enough to require two hands to hold; she was thankful for the smooth, but lightly textured grip.

"They're Nepleslian," the shop owner said bluntly. "They're good."

"I see," she said. The revolver was very well balanced, for being so large. "And it costs how much?"

"700 KS, with 48 rounds for 200 KS."

"Sou. ... And it fires plasma?"

"Yep." The man took a deep breath and chewed on his plant.

"I see." She hefted the revolver again and squeezed the trigger. The single-action was crisp and short. "And the shotgun weapon?"

"New comp'ny. Styrling. Good comp'ny. Good guns." The man's beady, bloodshot eyes seemed glazed over.

"Sou. And it is 250 KS?"

"Yeah, with some free shit with it. Box of 25 rounds costs 20 KS."

Yukari nodded and put the revolver down. Then ... her eye caught something else, just behind the tiny counter. A pistol she had seen once before, but in worse condition. It hung on a hook upside down, and had wooden grips on it. "How much is that?" she said, pointing to it.

The man slowly turned on his stool and looked at the weapon. "I can'd sell that, lady."

"Oh?"

"Yup."

" ... Why is this?"

"Too good for you."

"I am sorry?"

"Too good for you. A woman can'd handle that gun. Wouldn' be right."

" ... Oh. I see."

"In fact, can'd sell ya the revolver, either. Too much gun for you."

"Is this so."

"Yep."

Yukari realized she was leaning forward some, and she stood upright. She was unfamiliar with the concept of not being "right" for a weapon because of her sex, but she suspected it was something to do with him being a stupid Nepleslian. No wonder his shop was so small. "I would like to see it," she said.

"Can'd."

" ... " Yukari reached around behind her and took out her communicator. She also took out her MPP and placed it on the counter, with the barrel facing her.

The man chewed on his stick, appearing disinterested. "Gonna quickdraw and shoot me, lady? Don'd take kindly to threats."

"No," she replied. "I am placing you under temporary arrest, as a member of SAINT. Your smoking instruments are illegal on this planet." She brought the communicator to her ear. She took a chance and spoke via telepathy as the communicator attempted to connect her. Once connected, she spoke in masculine Yamataian.

"Yes, this is Suzuka-Shosa, NJ-X1-00. Yes. Yes. I am reporting an illegal substance present inside a gunstore called Guns. Yes. No. ... That is correct. NO! I want ten units, with haste! Yes, you will send them now!"

"Wh-wait," the man stammered, the plant falling from his lips.

Yukari did not look at him. "No stun! He is carrying an illegal, high-powered pistol on his person. Set all weapons to kill!"

"WAIT!" The man stirred from his stool, leaning over it some. His belly prevented him from leaning too far.

"Ah — Damn!" Yukari cursed, backing up from him. "He has disarmed me! Send a Mindy to assist me, hurry!"

"WAIT!" He shouted. "H-HERE! Here! All yours! Take'm! Take'm!"

Yukari paused, and finally looked at the man. "One moment," she said to the communicator. "It appears he is simply on a kind of medication ... have the Mindy standby." She glared at him, eyes catching some of the sunlight reflecting off of the glass. "I will pay your prices."

"SURE! SURE! Whatever you want! Don't want no fuckin' Mindys here, thasall! No Mindys!"

"Please total it up for me. The revolver, the shotgun, and the pistol on the wall."

The man looked to the pistol and hesitated.

"Now, please." Yukari held the communicator to her ear.

He did so, as fast as his grimy fingers would let him. "250 — 180 — 700 — 200 — thas 450, carry the 1, 630, carry other 1, ugh — 1,330 KS, ma'am! And here, shotgun and pistol ammo free! Two boxes each!"

Yukari smiled and handed him her money card from her datapad's pouch. "Here."

He took the card, ran it quickly, then disappeared in the back. He returned with the shotgun in the box — "The Silver Lining," it said in slanted lettering on the front — and the revolver in the box. It had an "S" surrounded by a circle, with a "Z" inside the S. "Comes with speedloaders!" the man said about the revolver.

Then, he reached for the pistol. He put it on the counter, after gesturing Yukari to take her MPP back, then put the gun on the counter. It had a magazine inside of it. He grunted as he bent down behind the counter and retrieved a worn cardboard box. He opened it up and put the gun inside; there were two more magazines inside it, along with a cleaning brush. Then he retrieved the ammunition.

"All yours!" he said excitedly. "Now call off the fuckin' armor?" It was a shouted, pleading question.

Yukari glared at him a moment more, then spoke into the communicator. "Withdraw," she said simply, in Nepleslian. She paused, nodded and closed the communicator, returning it to her datapad's pouch, along with her money card. "Thank you," she said. "Allow me a moment to transport this to my vehicle?"

After the last box was placed in the jeep, Yukari took her seat next to Miyoko, who was driving. Her communicator beeped, and she received a message from Tom.

"Aiyaa," she said. "Tom is waiting at a cafe for us. Let us go!" Yukari brought up a map on her datapad for them to follow.

Miyoko eyed the boxes curiously as they were loaded into the vehicle. Yukari enjoyed shopping too, it seemed. Guns had never exactly been high on Miyoko's list of things to buy, but it was still something they had in common. Besides, she was enjoying the simple chance to spend some time planetside. She would have liked to have gotten some shopping of her own in, but being Yukari's chauffeur was still a nice enough change of pace. It left her wishing that she'd brought some more casual clothes--while uniforms were no rare sight through the empire, she still felt a bit conspicuous.

She accelerated slowly, taking her time on the journey and enjoying the sights. "With the new enlistment contracts being circulated, I'm considering applying for a house," she said conversationally as she made a turn, following the map. She found it rather lucky that the new contracts that granted housing had been put through at almost the exact same time as she turned old enough to be eligible. "Deciding on a location is rather difficult with everybody I know being in the military, though. I imagine that people who have a home planet to go back to have things a bit easier there."

"A house?" Yukari asked as they turned. The sun was hung heavy in the air. "That is a wonderful idea! A house is a good thing to have." The air stirred Yukari's ponytail a little as they drove toward Kyoto's downtown.

"Tell me, would you want to be in a city, a town or a sparsely populated area?"

ON: Yamatai, outside of Kyoto
"I haven't really thought about it..." Miyoko shrugged as expressively as she could while keeping her hands on the wheel. "I suppose that since I can't cook and like to be able to get new books occasionally, I couldn't live in too rural of an area."

"I see," Yukari said, adjusting her hair a little. "So you would not want to live where I live, or even near Ralt ... perhaps Port Xenn?"

"That could work. Perhaps I'll hold off on deciding on a certain area--with the way things are going, I'll get to see plenty of planets firsthand if I just wait a few years. I'm sure there's one that will appeal to me." Miyoko trailed off for a second, before adding on. "You have a house, then?"

"A cabin," Yukari said over the engine of the Jeep. "Several dozen kilometers south of Port Xenn, on the water. I saved for six years to purchase it."

"Ah." Miyoko laughed lightly, Yukari's reason for recommending Port Xenn was suddenly more apparent. "Well, a few klicks isn't too far to drive once or twice a week. It's apparently not too remote, if you're going to live there and run that business you plan to start."

"I do not know where I will open my business," Yukari replied, eyes headed upward, toward the sky. "Tom lives in Ralt, as do his parents, and he loves it there. We want a family, and they should be near their grandparents." She smiled. "You do not have those concerns, though, which is a blessing by itself!"

"Eh." Miyoko's response was non-committal. "I'll have to have somebody to spend time with once in a while or I'll go crazy, but I suppose that's what living near a city is for."

"With the war over, many Yamataian men will be leaving the military," Yukari said hopefully. "You should wait and watch, see where they go. Perhaps that will be a good indicator."

That elicited another laugh from Miyoko--it was hard for her to tell if Yukari was being serious sometimes. "Well, that's one way. I wonder if the others have claimed their land yet, though? If nothing else it might make sense for everybody to settle in a general area... or spread out as much as possible so we always have somebody's house to go to no matter what port the Miharu is in."

"Claymere-san has Nepleslia to go home to," Yukari replied. "I imagine he will find a way to go there. Westwood-Hei is from Malifar, and the Taisa's home is Ketsurui no Iori now ... " She squinted up at the sky. "Each of us will decide our own position, neh? Perhaps we should have good ships to travel from place to place?"

"I guess many of them do have families to go back to... but not all of us nekos and former nekos do." Miyoko hesitated, knowing that what she was going to say next was embarassing but necessary. "I suppose I've simply started to consider all of you my family."

"That is how I feel as well." Yukari looked down at her boots in the footwell of the jeep. "No matter where you are, all of us will be together in spirit, if not in body. Neh?"

"Nn. I suppose that will do." Miyoko wasn't entirely pleased with the answer, but she also knew that she couldn't expect things to be so perfect as having everybody settle in one area. Besides, even if she was an ancient 3 years or not, her retirement was a good 5 years off. Should probably wait and see if I'm even alive by then...

"The Star Army is generous in its own way," she continued. "I would not be surprised if, were you to request one, they would provide a shuttle." Yukari looked at Miyoko and, after a few seconds pause, giggled a little.

Miyoko shook her head, grinning lightly. "I don't think that will be a problem. At my current rate, I'll be able to buy shuttles in bulk if I go another five years of getting paid. I'll have to do my best to dodge promotions so that I don't end up needing to invent a new branch of math to find the balance in my account."

Yukari laughed a little louder. "That is true! Our new contracts certainly pay us well. You see, we will not even be able to hide from one-another."

Miyoko's brief worry was abating--Yukari seemed to do that a lot, at least on the occasions that she didn't manage to have the exact wrong reaction to Miyoko's problems. "Besides, five years is a long time... I should probably wait a while to start getting obsessive over my plans about what I'm going to do then."

"It is never too soon to plan," Yukari said — then giggled as they took another turn, now at the edge of downtown Kyoto.

"Mm." Miyoko slowed down, checking the map briefly to make sure she was going in the right direction. "Do you have any idea how long the ship will be stationed here?" She asked, changing the subject. "I haven't had a chance to spend much time on Yamatai, so I'm sure there's plenty to do if we're going to be here more than a day or two."

"We will not be," Yukari replied, her tone changing a little. "A day, maximum, I believe. Our mission remains too time-sensitive; the Taisa took a great risk to take this much."

It was no surprise, but Miyoko still felt a bit disappointed. She was itching to spend some of the money she'd accumulated since her last shore leave. "Ah well. I can get my sightseeing in after the next mission," she said, fully aware that the next mission was likely going to be the sort of mission where people got killed.

"After you drop me off, you are free to take the jeep, Saito-san," Yukari said. "Your communicator can guide you to any stores in the area. Just do not return to the store I was at. He was ... not a helpful vendor."

"Hm. Alright." It wasn't as good as a week to spend doing nothing, but a few hours of seeing Yamatai was probably still better than whatever awaited her back on the ship. "Will you need me to come pick you up again afterward?"

"I do not believe so," Yukari said. "We can always call a jeep or a car if we need to. As long as you can keep this jeep with my things in its locked container?"

"Of course. If I decide to go back to the Miharu, I can take them up with me."

"Careful. One of the pistols is very heavy. Hopefully, it will be a satisfactory sidearm."

"I'll... keep that in mind." Miyoko wasn't sure what Yukari meant. Her strength wasn't up to her old NH-17 standards, but she still estimated that she could put out a good 4.7 Sanjuro-meters. (Where, of course, a Sanjuro-meter was the amount of strength required to throw one Sanjuro one meter. She had thought long and hard on this concept recently.)

"Do not worry. I wanted to provide you warning that it is not like the NSP, that is all." The cafe was close to their position; just another minute or so.

Miyoko slowed down as the map informed her that she was nearing their goal, pulling up to a stop outside of the cafe. "This is the place?"

"Mm!" Yukari saw Tom and waved. "Thank you, Saito-san," she said, giving her friend a light hug. "Good luck shopping, neh?" Yukari hopped out of the jeep and went to her lover on the cafe's patio.

END

Tom waved Yukari over.

"What's happenin' sweetie? How was work? Can I order you a drink or one of these delicious muffins?"

(ooc: This post is so lame, I know. :( )

The brown-haired Neko smiled warmly at her lover, and took the small seat across from him at the little table. "I should most certainly have a muffin, with juice, please."

She leaned back in the seat and let out a little sigh, feeling the breeze flow around her. "'Work' was good. We will have two new crewmates when we return to the Miharu. They are people of good character, I believe."

Tom silently ordered Yukari's drink and muffin through an electronic screen that pulled out from within the table.

"With the news that we've just bore witness to these last few weeks, we need as much good character among our crew as we can get."

The wind blew the Yamataian's blonde hair aside as he slouched back into his chair.

"You know, I sit here and I reflect... and I think I've made up my mind on a lot of things. I don't know who to believe about whatever has been going on in this galaxy. But I think the constant, damnable thing that everyone lacks is character. It's getting harder and harder for me to put my trust in what I can't see... you know?"

A half-hearted chuckle left his lips, his eyes zoning in on his lover's face.

"It's funny. Just a few months ago, I think I'd have struck anyone who uttered such words in my presence. But... now... perhaps I think I see clearly. Finally."

Yukari blinked at Tom's thoughtful words, the wind blowing her hair about her ponytail behind her. She ducked some in her own seat, as if she could dodge the gusts slowly stirring up.

"I do not believe I understand," she said, looking through narrowed eyes at Tom. They were narrowed because of the wind. "Why would you hit someone because of words?" Though she was aware of Tom's normally trustful manner, and could understand a possible change in thinking ... it did not seem right. Tom was a rock. What had washed away some of his resolve?

"To smack some sense into them, of course. Didn't we learn that doubting our empire sowed the seeds of treason or something? Bah, it's more figurative than anything, really. I'm not much of a hitter."

He tapped his fingers on the table in a rhythmic pattern, as if he was calculating what he wanted to say next.

"Life was simpler in Ralt. We didn't have to deal with the knowledge we..." he motioned to Yukari and himself "...seem to be getting every day now."

A waitress returned with Yukari's order and the Yamataian nodded with a smile. "Thanks." When she left, he continued.

"I'll be happier when we finally put this behind us and pay attention to what's most important in life. In a way, I should be thankful for the information: It's helped me realize who and what is most important to me."

Yukari nodded to the waitress, and sipped at the juice. It appeared to be vegetable juice, with some fruit in it. It was not bad, but it was not what she expected.

"With the new contracts, we can do that at any time," she said. "We can leave the Star Army." She nibbled a little at her muffin. "But ... can we go home, knowing what we know?"

Tom tilted his head.

"Do you think we're in danger? Or is this more of a 'we have a responsibility to make things better' kind of thing?"

" ... Both," Yukari said. "I do not feel we can return home permanently if we do not absolve the sins our Empire has left behind for us. We will be haunted by them, if we do."

Yukari sipped her juice a little and nibbled on the muffin. "The war is over ... and after our celebration, I now feel little has changed for us. We must attain our own change, with our own hands. It will not come for us."

The talking tapered off quickly, and left the two combating enjoying their drink or getting out from the bluster and mist that was starting to come down. Tom was not going to see his family that day; there wasn't enough time and he had no good transportation to get out to Ralt, he said. Yukari was likewise without transport, as her ship was still with Xenedine. Yukari also lacked outdoor gear, so the time was ripe to find a way back to the base and perhaps warmth.

Yukari called a cab, and the two were soon safely inside a lounge inside Kyoto Base, watching as the rain fell harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back