• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: Land of Dreamers [Land of Dreamers Chapter Three] What Was Once Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [Chapter Three] What Was Once Lost

The Ivouri puffed his chest out a little bit, showing a little aggravation that didn't reach his face. Part of it may have been being unable to understand just what the strangers had been discussing, which seemed to make the guards a little nervous. Still, Hanadi made a convincing point, just what could a few outlanders trouble them with? If he couldn't understand them, it'd be alright as long as they didn't understand him. The man stepped aside, gesturing inside to the monastery. One of the guards opened the boarded door, and they all could see it lead into a hallway with doorways eitherside, with people walking through and about them.

Though, it seemed the real market was at the double doors further down at the end of the hallway.

Poor Oskar felt like ripping his hair out of his skull at Hanadi's response. It also made him wonder just what type of Charec-infested education system this planet had.

With a lot to worry about, the Abwehran Merchant automatically reached into his pocket and pulled the flask out once more to take a long drought of his brew.

Glancing at Ellis, the Crimson-haired Merchant shrugged in resignation of the entire situation.

Ellis looked back at the Abwheran over the edge of his makeshift shawl. His eyes narrowed briefly in a sort of semi-hostile, What was that supposed to mean? way before he went back to focusing on the building they were in. He took in the architecture of the place and slipped his ever-stiff hands into his pockets, hobbling along behind Hanadi as best he could.

"... and that's exactly the reason why I wish to fund an expedition further..." Went one merchant across the hall followed in turn by another armed guard. They both seemed to be walking into a room on the right that seemed to be filled with merchants speaking back and forth with what looked like mercenaries. The opposing room was a lounge of sorts with a small bar and plenty of tables.

"... really? He thinks I'll take them for that price? Where's he from, Hlarai? This is Maekardan we don't use his little hometown economics..." muttered a woman bitterly to a fellow businessman, who shrugged his shoulders, and walked into the lounge area with her.

"... see how they tried to pull a gun on me? That sort of thing just doesn't work anymore! The law is everywhere, and works to our advantage not to mention hired muscle..." instructed an Elder man to a younger apprentice who seemed to be catching his breath.

Indeed, the inside of just the hallway itself was abuzz with armed men, businessfolk, and customers moving up and down. Luckily for the wayward travelers, and Hanadi herself, there was a generally a decent amount of elbow room to navigate the corridor and then find the true nature of the desert market. Where the usual mass and schooling took place fore the children, there were several stall and carts loaded to bear with all sorts of items. Where a few walls had been knocked down, a few more permanent merchants had set up vendor windows from which to do business.

"... How dare you! Curse your dreams and your nightmares! Let me go!" kicked and screamed a woman with a rather nasty bruise on her face. Two men, their faces draped with spotted turbans, dragged her out arm in arm. "I didn't steal anything! You've no proof! Argh ragh! Even under the sunlight you are blind! Ragh!"

"Hello!" went a young man, yelling over the mottled yelps and screams of the woman, "You all look like you're fresh from Muna's sandy bosom! Ha ha ha!" The boy seemed awful jovial, his cropped red hair poking just under a thin head-dress. He was dressed decently well, at least, better than the usual caravan. "I am Habeeb! One of Master Fayiz's many assistants. I am studied in languages of both Sal'saari and Colonial, though my accent is very rough. So, if there are any of the Celestial Wayfarers with you, I can communicate with them. Roughly!"

His blue eyes darted amongst the group as he assumed a rather imposing, yet oddly welcoming stance.

"Otherwise, I can guide you to almost 'anything' you would need! Guns, ammo, drugs, food, medicine, spare parts, and many other goods that the Punjab Monastery is glad to supply as long as you have the money. We also have a variety of services as well! We have a mechanic along with the parts merchant, and a doctor who doubles as our local produce supplier. As I said, whatever your desire, I can lead you to it!" He leaned forward, offering an affirming nod, "Anything."

"Do you think your mechanics would be able to work on these?" Ellis asked almost immediately, an excited look in his eyes. He held up his arms with a great deal of effort to show what he meant. The crash had severly damaged both them, and his legs. And he felt very vulnerable in his weakened state.

He glanced over at Hanadi for a second and added, "If I'm worth the investment, that is."

Habeeb leaned forward to give Ellis' cybernetics a closer look. At first he held an intuitive, curious gaze, before giving a little jump in shock. Iromakuanhe 'cybernetics' weren't quite like Nepleslian ones. Not something the group themselves could see, but they could tell he had never truly so typical a man with metal arm like such.

"And here I thought that only the Celestial Wayfarers wore such augmentation." said the guide with mild interest, before looking up at Ellis, "Can fix it, might want to see clock-maker, but let see the rest of group decision." Habeeb turned his head into the way of the others, smiling somewhat to the potential business already to be had.

"You'd be better off letting Red take a look at your metal arms. She knows the stuff. Our augmentations are biological with only a small niche market for what you got. Even then they're techno-organic. Hard to come by." Hanadi then gave Habeeb an appraising look. "And expensive. It's up to you if you want to take the chance, Offworlder."

The tall Curdatl leaned forward a bit to get a better look at the assistant.

"Food, Medicine, Ammunition, Spare Parts." was the list of items Hanadi gave him before adding something more, "And plutonium."

----

Outside, Nova waited with the remainder of the group, wary of just about everything. Her kind didn't live on planets. They just used them to harvest raw materials to keep the fleets going. The fear of bacteria, viruses, fungi and the radiation of the sun on her pale flesh made the 'Spacer more than a little antsy to be back in the safe, climate-controlled purified air of the Sehaya.

"Do you think they'll be alright in there?" she asked the Patrician when the heavy door finally closed behind Oskar, Elis and Hanadi.

Oskar couldn't help but grimace before taking another swig from his flask. Guns in the hands of the populace in a place of business...that logic was only understandable because of how much this planet was a VOID-SPAWNED DEATH TRAP.

Even while he feared his planet and these people, he kept a keen ear and eye on what was going on around him. Mostly, it was because he was waiting for what the planet had next in the long list of things that could kill him. However, he was also watching the nearby business dealings and listening to the basic discussion merchant were having.

Of course, the arrival of the 'assistant' forced Oskar to focus much closer to his person. He couldn't help but shudder slightly at the word 'plutonium'. Fissionable materials open to civilian populations...it was a wonder this planet hadn't destroyed itself in nuclear holocaust.

Cassiel sighed as he was ignored by the others as they were led inside, and tucked his wings back down, now that they were no longer in danger of being pulled by children. He looked down at Nova, smiling faintly. "I'm not entirely sure anything can threaten that woman, so yes, they should be fine. I'm more worried about us, being abandoned to the mercy of these heathens."

"Which one is Red?" Ellis asked, pulling his improvised shawl close around him, covering his arms once again. "That spacer woman? Or the... Naked Dog Lady?"

He hoped it would be the Spacer woman. Large animals did so frighten him. On the other hand, he had called her naked for a reason, and she did always seem to be hugging on the child. 'No, no. Can't think about that kind of stuff here, Ellis old chum, there's a big scary animal involved!'

"Food, medicine, and plutonium. That's quite the grocery list." Habeeb mused, putting his hands together, and rubbing them rapidly. There was something about the glint in his eye that seemed a little off. "That list is definitely something we'll need to take care of in order of importance. Unfortunately, my Master Fayiz will not see more than one person in his chamber to achieve your somewhat sanctioned Plutonium. Even moreso he's fairly particular on who he sees." That last sentence was spoken with a less than satisfied tone, like someone being forced to buy a used car they didn't like. The guide looked Hanadi up and down.

"It might be you, since you are the apparent representative... And that my Master as a fondness for... overtly curvacious women."

Habeeb coughed, before waving his previous words and possible faux pas to the side.

"While I go notify him of your request, I would like to direct you to our primary food merchant." he turned to point at a man's stall that a few people were looking over, browsing the bulk stock of food. At the forefront was a wide-shouldered, muscle-bound man, towering slightly over the others. The moment he caught sight of Habeeb, and the group, he started to pay rapt attention, and stroking his small moustache. "Gira Hamza is his name, and he is quite the eccentric amongst Sund Wakir, so please do not min--"

"I WILL GLADLY TAKE YOUR KUON DALRI IN THE NAME OF BUSINESS! HMMPGH!" Gira flexed his arms as he yelled, yelled these words at them. "COME, LET ME SHOW YOU MY WARES. HURGH! EXPERIENCE THE MENAGERIE OF FINE PRESERVED FOODS. HAGH!" He then put his hands to his hips and spoke rather normally, "And let me know if you have any questions."

----

Na'Subir grunted as he stood to the side of the two individuals he had been left with, plus one child. The heat was coming down in thick, layered waves, and the amount of sweat coming off the man could've added a few inches to the Maekardan sea level. Still, the Temple Guard was ever-vigilant, blinking his first pair of eyelids so as to keep his eyes from being dry, but also not to lose any visual grasp of the situation. Still, it was difficult.

His eyes gazed over at Nova, who had been wearing rather skimpy clothes as defined by Ovoc Wakir standards. The Temple Guard took upon himself to remove his protective mantle and shawl, and offered it to the Freespacer.

"Here, you need to wear more than that." said Na'Subir in Sal'saari, not wanting to embarrass himself by speaking Trade. Geruud, upon seeing this, perked up immediately, and yanked off his turban and also offered it to Nova, revealing his short, white hair.

"And this... this will protect your head! From the sun! And sand-rats! It's also good luck!" went the young boy, trying to make his gift sound more pleasing.

Cassiel on the other hand would find the eyes of three girls upon him. From a marked distance from the Punjab monastery they watched him, giggling amongst themselves. One thing that was most noticeable, though, was that these girls weren't as dark in skin as most of the others. More particular was how their hair seemed to range in brighter brown and blonde colors, compared to the white, black, red, and dark brown of the more local looking women. They all shared qualities rather similar to the Gual Myan rider that had brought him to the Sehaya.

One of them waved at the man, before a small procession of children barreled past them, being chased by that same guard from before.

'Eccentric is right, this guy is nuttier than a Sandrat hopped up on Sweet Stones.' Hanadi's lips were pursed as the merchant began his flexing display with a hand rubbing at her face. Before engaging in the fine art of haggling, she turned and pointed a finger to Elis.

"Watch him," pointing to Oskar. "And make sure he doesn't drink himself stupid or starts anything. And for the love of all that is holy, avoid starting any duels with these people! They'll slit you open like a fresh fish!" she pulled out four paper bills, giving the two aliens each a pair of them.

"Think of this as two hundred of whatever Saint's Forsaken currency you use on your homeworlds. And don't wander off from my sight, stay where I can see you."

Looking back to Gira, Hanadi stepped forward, seating herself on a box crate in front of his stall. She slammed both hands on it's surface and stared right into the man's eyes. "Alright, let's get to haggling."

-----

Nova looked bewildered at the attention Cassiel seemed to be getting from the local women. And even more so at the pre-offered mantle, shawl and turban. The 'Spacer held up a hand in a warding gesture to the two men shaking her head.

"No, No, Sun and Heat good for me, yes? Part plant, see?" she held up her biological arm showing the pale, peach hued flesh. "Can survive short-term exposure to foreign environment, six hours."

Poor Oskar nearly lept out of his skin as the Food merchant suddenly appeared with boisterous voice. "Void take him," he muttered in his own language before glancing at Hanadi and her warning to the Nepleslian. Ironically, he had his flask in hand at that moment and silently put it away with a sulk.

Suddenly, he had some sort of paper currency thrust into his hands. He baulked a bit at it for a moment. Two hundred Abwehran Credits could by a lot, in the colonies, and maybe even on the Capital.

Two hundred anywhere else was not much at all. Frowning, the Abwehran merchant seemed to analyze the currency he had in hand. He even held it up to a light to check for any watermarks before thrusting it into his shirt pocket. 'Close to the heart to keep the thieves at bay,' was what his father normally said. After all. thieves didn't have one.

Cassiel hesitantly raised a hand in response, not entirely sure how to take all of the attention being lavished upon him. He was, on the other hand, quite sure that hew as keeping an eye on those kids now though. He felt no desire to display his wings that blatantly again, with the effect it had already had on the locals. And since it seemed that their two local guides didn't speak any sane language, it was just him and Nova, for all intents and purposes, and it seemed like she was busy having all of their guides' attention lavished on her, for some reason. He didn't know much about Freespacers, never having even needed to consider treating one, but he at least knew that this climate was well withing what they could handle. "Ah... Ingenu- Nova, do you need any help?"

Ellis looked down at his figurative two hundred DA and then over to Oskar. He sighed a little and wobbled in his boots.

"So, Abwheran." He said, poking at the bills with a stiff finger, "You've been around longer than I have. What kind of stuff do you suppose we could buy to make our new masters happy?"

Geruud's face fell into a frown as his pride melted away. The little Sund Wakir didn't appear he was quite mature enough to rejection well just yet. So he just looked down at his turban, a new object of disdain, before toddling off on his own. Na'Subir on the other hand put his shawl of a mantle back on his shoulders, and huffed out a tired sigh, trying to deal with the oppressive heat. Despite his satisfaction, his face was still frozen as it always was, as if he was just bored with it all, rather than frustrated.

The three girls, still talking amongst themselves, began to giggle and laugh after a sharing a few words. One of them, the blonde, seemed to shake her head after being suggested something by the other. The other girl appeared to chime in, before they broke out in laughter again with the blonde shaking her head profusely. Both the brunette, and the lighter brunette apparently weren't going to take no for an answer, and began pushing the blonde toward the solemn little group.

"... not going to ask--!" said the blonde sharply as she was urged forth, before giving up and just approaching them herself, leaving her giggling friends behind. She was wearing something more akin to modern clothing, by Iromakuanhe standards. They made from an apparently stretchy fabric, with a shawl over that to shield herself from the sun. She had a very bouncy aura to her, what with her small goggles and head-warp jumping up on her curly hair with every step.

She stopped by Cassiel, with a reddening ace and coyish grin, hiding some mirth under her lips.

"So, hi. My friends and I are in the area right now, and--..." she stopped herself before looking at his wings and obviously changed the subject, "Are those wings real?"

----

"MAGNIFICENT."

The gargantuan Curdatl, Gira, was an inch in front of Hanadi's face before she had time to react. The force at which his hands slammed on the table had caused that little crate below her to wobble and shake. Apparently her spirited response incited even more spirit from another merchant who was now ignoring his other customers. If she could get around his wide, imposing face and sharp blue eyes, she'd likely catch sight of him bulging his biceps. He'd pump one, then the other in an alternative sequence.

"What. Would you LIKE?"

----

Ellis wouldn't get time to get a response out of Oskar, for Oskar would likely be too busy thanking his ancestors that he wasn't the object of trouble for once.

The scarred, disfigured Nepleslian would feel a pair of hands grip his shoulders madly, accompanied by angry growl. There were words, indeed there were words, but none of them made sense, as Ellis nor Oskar understood Sal'saari. The woman from before, the one who had been dragged away after being clocked in the face had returned. She was frantic, angry, but most certainly in trouble. Two of the guards had walked back in, one had been scratched in the face, and the other, judging by the limp, had been kicked in the genitals.

That was when Oskar caught the meaning of her next words, as she took cover behind Ellis. Well, he caught two of them, something he could understand due to his mild exposure to the language.

"Hide me."

Oskar was partially thankful one of the thrice-damned members of the populace had decided upon a target different from him. However, upon hearing the woman and glancing at the way she came to find two professional, and rather angry-looking, guards, the young Abwehran twisted around to the Nepleslian.

"Get away from her," he hissed quickly. "Don't get involved at all! This isn't our problem and she could be a thief for all we know!"

Cassiel looked helplessly at the obviously younger girl who had approached him, hampered by his complete and utter lack of understanding of the local language. First he'd been helpless to understand the guides they'd been left with, and now a girl who obviously wanted to know something about his wings, he just had no clue what. He glanced at Nova, a slightly wild look in his eyes, not sure what to do, or say (though the second probably didn't matter, under the circumstances), and deferring to the nearest person in his confusion.

Ellis noticed the guards and put some of the situation together. His eyes became saucers behind the makeshift cowl, which he tore off, along with his coat.

"Are you kidding?" he said harshly, swinging the coat over the woman's shoulders with his gimpy appendages. "We don't know how to tell her to go away and if they see us talking with her they might beat us up, too! We have to try and hide her!"

It seemed like the two of them were birds of a feather, both having the same idea without being able to speak the same language. Ellis threw a nervous glance at the guards as he did the finishing touch-- throw the rag he was using as a cowl around the woman's face and neck. He was being a little rough about it, with his appendages as they were.

"Look casual or something." He instructed Oskar while completely failing to look casual himself.

"You...you fool! They'll notice that you Charec-brained idiot!" Oskar exclaimed in Trade before reaching for his flask once more. "Just throw her at them! If we give her up, we'll be set!" he continued before taking a rather long swig of his brew.

"If...If you don't, I'll leave you here to fend for yourself." he threatened with a stammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back