• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Life Events Learning New Things

Navian

Inactive Member
I've learned some new things lately that make it very difficult to come up with a good reason to invest myself in creative work of most kinds, including RP. And this came at a time where I was already barely hanging on by a thread in maintaining an interest in RP, even on its own merits. It seems a bit strange to call this a life event, but I suppose major revelations do count.

I don't want to get into politics here, but given the alternatives for speculation and the gravity of the situation, I think I should say a little. I considered myself to be mostly on top of things intellectually, but I found out this week that while the term 'fake news' gets thrown around a lot by people who want to believe a narrative that is even more out of touch with reality, the mainstream media really does engage in a lot of blatant propaganda. This is due to how journalists are taught to work, due to the means by which politicians are elected--money seems to vote rather than people, in practice--due to our economy being based on unsustainable growth at all levels, and because we seem unable to fix these problems, even as they escalate to the point where any hope of long-term survival--of one day having the chance for our descendants to live on other worlds--is not only put at risk, but is on its way to becoming a remote possibility.

As at least something resembling a science fiction fan, I can't say I look forward to living in a world where an energy crisis is going to lead to a technological collapse. I'd be relatively okay with an ecological crisis leading to a biosphere collapse, so long as we still manage to escape from the planet, but aside from it being so bad to even have to consider the notion as one of our best prospects, it doesn't seem like the most likely one, due to the rate at which the world is going through its energy reserves and our growth-based economy. So, perhaps that explains why I find it hard to continue to have much interest in art, or optimistic speculative fiction: I'm desperate to figure out how to avoid observing or participating in the creation of a future dystopia where very few things are possible, compared to what we can imagine today. I want to have more to look forward to.

To put it another way, I've suddenly become extremely worried, because people who understand the worst problems the world faces are a much smaller minority than I understood before, because there are barriers to solving them that are not understood by most, and because these are not just passive barriers, but active forces that work to deluded even very well-educated people with propaganda so intense that even after decades of exposure, the signal didn't get through to me until my twin sister, who gave up just short of completing her thesis defense for her PhD in paleontology, cut me in on the loop and showed me how to access critical information that hasn't been filtered through the western world's biggest propaganda machine or its direct competition (or conspiracy theorists who are just looking for comforting, easy answers--it's not 'a conspiracy' any more than religion itself is 'a conspiracy', it's a system of belief almost everyone buys into.) The signal for what kinds of change need to happen isn't getting through, it's being deflected to all kinds of distractions, very successfully. And I don't know what to do about it, but I need to do something.

Unfortunately, having fun or playing games are not very high on the list unless they're at least relevant to the problem and help me unwind. Playing games that teach me about the nature of power--and that aren't designed as misleading or misdirecting propaganda, intentionally or not--might help. I still need stimulation and a way to unwind, though probably not nearly as much as the culture we live in has been trying to tell me for the sake of sustaining itself with my spending. But, well... when SARP teaches me about that, it's not part of the game and it's not helpful. So, I'm going to be spending less time here, and likely phasing out my involvement. If I continue to meet my obligations here, it's not going to be the result of an extraordinary effort.

Hey Navian it's okay to be worried and fearful and it's more than okay to talk to other about it. Thanks for posting such a thoughtful post about what's going on in your head and how SARP makes you feel. It's all definitely food for thought.

I'm interested in hearing more about this. Can you link me to some of your information?

I think I found this research paper after I made this thread, but it's an example of empirical research that demonstrates first-hand (partly through meta-analysis) how undemocratic the US political system is. It doesn't demonstrate outright that "money equals political power in western society", but it doesn't take a great leap of intuition to see the sentiment is at least mostly true, and could be almost entirely true. To understand why this conclusion is devastating to democracy, there's this video to show how extreme wealth inequality has become.

I'm going to have trouble explaining why faith in the market is unwarranted, per se. The documentary series 'The Ascent of Money' can help immensely with showing how dangerous that is, as well as the 'All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace', another series which details the specific example when a sort of religion built up around computerized finance and caused untold suffering in Southeast Asia and around the world. 'The Ascent of Money' has two more episodes that I don't see on the website, the fifth, 'Safe as Houses' is important, because the worst disaster since the great depression was only a decade ago, in part due to a misconception of the value of real estate as an investment, which is still running rampant today.

This video is the scariest one I've seen. Mind you, it's incomplete in terms of what content the 'educators' were willing to include, which is probably why it ends with predicting we'll collapse back to a pre-industrial society, without even suggesting that we might be able to expand our economy into outer space before we run out of nonrenewable resources and our biosphere collapses. As far as that biosphere collapse goes, we are fast approaching the point where irreversible damage is done to our biosphere, and the US is currently speeding it up. It's becoming unlikely that we'll be able to avoid catastrophe. I don't have a specific source for this, but almost 200 national governments are committed to acting on it with the Paris Accords, so I think it's easy to find them. I'm more optimistic about space exploration than I am about living off the land.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back