• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Miharu Life Between Missions 1: Breakfast Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyton

ON:

The YSS Miharu had already been travelling towards Nepleslia for some time to deliver Heram Wazu to his home. It was still morning of the next day and it would be some time yet until they reached the border of Nepleslian space. It was at this time that Nyton Claymere would finally be able to catch up with Masako Kurohoshi when they were both on their way for breakfast. Nyton had already prepared himself for the day and was pressed and ready when he saw Masako and motioned over to her in the hallway. "Good morning Kurohoshi-Juni." he said in greeting.

It had been some time since her conversation with the rather angsty Tsuya when Masako's stomach had began to protest her negligence. Leaving her quarters once more, Masako had made her way towards the Wardroom when Nyton called out to her. Pausing mid-step, the raven-haired Neko turned and gave her superior a cute smile. "Good Morning, Claymere-Taii," the smaller soldier responded in kind before giving him a polite bow.

Nyton offered a polite nod as Masako smiled back at him. "I wanted to go over those wing reorganization charts with you if you were not otherwise busy. Do you have a moment?" he then asked.

Looking up at Nyton with her space-black eyes, Masako seemed to ponder his request for a moment. "I have enough time, so I believe this would be the perfect moment to go over the wing reorganization. Though we can talk about it during breakfast, right?" she suggested as her own hunger decided she could not wait for food.

"That will be fine. I can go for some breakfast myself." Nyton replied and began walking with her towards the dining section. After a short walk they arrived to see breakfast dishes set and ready for consumption. Next to the table would be two neko that Masako would recognize as the Shimabumi sisters juggling several eggs and dishes to each other. They were wearing matching chef hats along with a dark blue chef's tunic with the Miharu logo on the left side of the chest and blue cargo pants. Upon seeing Masako the younger sister Akiko quickly offered a wave before quickly resuming her juggling routine with Shizuka without missing a beat. Nyton watched uncertain of what to make of the new caretaker's show.

Well this was something Masako had never seen before. Staring at the scene for a moment in both confusion and awe, the small Warrant Officer couldn't help but smile and wave in reply to Akiko. "Certainly interesting," she mumbled so only Nyton could hear. "As long as they're willing to clean up any messes, it should be fine. After all, a Caretaker is supposed to help with morale as well, ne?"

"This is certainly unique." Nyton replied brushing it off and proceeding to the food table. He picked up a dish with a few hardboiled eggs and some toast along with assorted fruit and orange juice.

Following the tall Nepleslian Officer, Masako gathered her own breakfast of assorted fruits, toast, and crisp bacon to add protein to the meal. Taking a glass of water for her drink, she proceeded to the nearest table and sat down without waiting for Nyton.

Nyton was about to follow Masako when Akiko then called out to him. "Heads up Taii-san!" she said before smacking one of the eggs she was juggling with one of the plates. The egg flew out towards Nyton's face then suddenly burst with a small puff of smoke from which emerged a tiny bird. The bird then flew away before melting into flower petals which fell around the tall Nepleslian.

Witnessing this, the young Neko stifled a giggle as she applauded the act. "That was good, Akiko-san," Masako said a bit informally. "But maybe you shouldn't scare the Taii in such a manner."

Nyton just closed his eyes and shook his head. "I'm perfectly fine. It was an amusing parlor trick." he said, hiding the fact that he had been taken by surprise and quickly moving to join Masako at her table. Akiko meanwhile giggled a bit before continuing her routine with Shizuka.

Nodding, Masako started eating as she took dainty bites of her toast. "I looked over the message you sent me," the young woman began before taking a piece of fruit and devouring it. "Though I have to admit, I mostly concentrated on the bottom section more than the top." she explained as she took another bite of toast.

Nyton began to focus on his hard boiled eggs, cracking the shells off them before consuming them with some toast. "I consider it more of a rough estimate based on current strengths. It is still a work in progress. I am hoping we can get more personnel on hand to fill these positions. Another matter would be having Armor personnel double as security teams."

"It seems like the right idea to use our combat personnel as security personnel, though I think they will need some extra training," Masako replied as she continued to eat her breakfast. "Security work is different from hard combat after all," she explained before frowning. "My main concern is with Nimura-hei being under Mizuno-hei. Nimura-hei can be difficult to manage if I remember your team's combat recordings and Mizuno-hei doesn't have the command attitude."

Nyton thought for a moment as he carefully chose how to word his next sentence. "Nimura is not really a discipline issue. She is just very motivated. Her ability to follow orders of those placed above her is not the issue it is figuring out how to integrate her talents into the team." he said.

"Unfortunately she also places little value on her life so she has rather rationalized herself as expendable over other personnel. It is a trait of hers I am still wondering how to deal with." he then added.

Masako pursed her lips in thought as she looked back at her memory of the combat recordings and nod. "That is distressing, because I've had the same worry about Yamada-hei, one of our new recruits. I believe I've managed to convince her to think of herself as less expendable than before, but I'm unsure how well it sank in," the small Neko explained with a sigh. "Think on that subject, it wouldn't be a good idea to team Nimura-hei and Yamada-hei together," she mumbled with a frown as she forgot her breakfast now that her concerns were bubbling up to the surface.

"This Yamada-hei also perceived herself as expendable?" Nyton asked, an eyebrow raised in curiosity before biting down on some eggs.

"Yes, I've been talking with her a great deal since she came aboard and she seems to think very much like how you described Nimura-hei. The only difference is that she has recently begun to fear her demise rather than feel resigned about it." the raven-haired Warrant Officer explained as she took a sip of water to wet her lips.

Nyton cooly nodded as he listened. The concept of being expendable was one he was familiar with but still felt foreign to him. "Well perhaps this new found fear can help her to determine something better to do with her life than throw it away."

"My thoughts exactly, Claymere-Taii," Masako replied with a nod. "Either way, I believe I've satisfied my worries about the organization. Or at least, I've satisfied them until we've tried it in combat."

Nyton tapped at his plate with his fork for a second. "Masako, perhaps you could provide me with some insight. How is it that a nekovalkyrja assumes she is expendable? Is this some sort of indoctrination from the production center? An inferiority complex?" he asked.

Masako frowned as she leaned back in her seat and crossed her arms under her breasts. "If it was just the indoctrination from the production center, then why would Nimura-hei feel the way she does?" Masako asked rhetorically. "No, it's not just indoctrination, though I have a feeling that is part of the issue." the Warrant Officer explained as she bit her lower lip. "After my creation in PNUgen and subsequent education at Ichiban, I didn't really feel expendable. In fact, if it were not for my first mission, I would continue to feel that I was invincible. If there has to be a major factor in anything, it's probably looking at how skewed the Nekovalkyrja society is within Yamataian Culture," Masako replied though she didn't seem too sure about it. "I'm really just grasping at straws, but we have three types of thought when it comes to Nekovalkyrja. The first way of thinking is from those in power, the privileged. Nekovalkyrja who feel invincible because of their relative immortality due to ST and combat ability. Add to that the fact that Nekovalkyrja outnumber the rest of the Yamataian population by a ratio of approximately 100,000 to 1 and well," Masako trailed off with a shrug.

Nyton listened to Masako and thought some more. "Perhaps it has something to do with another social factor." he pondered. Nyton followed this up with another question that was somewhat out of nowhere. "Masako, what are your dreams for the future?"

Her mind on what she was going to explain next, Nyton's question made Masako freeze for a moment. "Honestly, I don't really have any dreams for the future," the young Warrant Officer replied as her cheeks heated up a bit in embarrassment. "It's not that I don't want to have a future, but more along the lines of that I just can't. I've been created and raised to be military. It's hard to think of things outside of that. True, Ichiban encouraged us to get hobbies outside of military training, but getting a hobby and actual skills that work in civilian life are two separate things."

"Yes and getting a hobby and having a dream to pursue are also two different things. Without a dream a person becomes stagnant. They just live, day to day, with no direction for advancement. In a sense that isn't even really living. That's just surviving, the barest minimum for existence." Nyton replied with a bit of a sigh. Looking away he then continued. "When I talk to Nimura I feel as though I were talking into a bottomless vessel and my words just fall like water falling into a void."

PAUSE

Re: Life Between Missions 1

The young Neko frowned thoughtfully as she glanced off to the side. Was she stagnant? It was true that she didn't have a dream, but she at least had a few short-term goals. Her ears drooped a bit in response to her thoughts as she seemed to struggle over the whole thing.

"It's hard for many Nekovalkyrja to find a dream, Taii," Masako said with an embarrassed expression. "I know what I want in the short-term. I know what I want in the present, but thinking in terms of things I'd want to do in the future is hard. I certainly don't know what will happen in the future. I could die in this mission, never to be recovered again. I could be promoted to an officer and shipped off to command a larger wing or even a ship, though I wouldn't know what to do with a ship," she muttered the last bit sheepishly.

"The point is," she began before pausing for a breath. "Nimura-hei might not have a dream because she has a hard time thinking of the future."

Re: Life Between Missions 1

Nyton listened hard to Masako as she explained the lack of dreams for Nekovalkyrja. He sat there, not eating, but thinking every word through as he tried to analyze what she was saying. Nyton's breathing eased itself while he studied Masako's features closely. The droop in her ears, the embarrassed expression, the movement of her eyes as she looked away and back again.

Waiting for a moment as he put together his thoughts the Nepleslian finally spoke. "Then we also fight for the chance to give Nekovalkyrja the ability to dream. At the very least, the ones aboard this ship." he said with a bit of a smile. "I would not lose hope. Given enough time even Nimura may find a dream to pursue. Besides I was just asking if you had any insight on this. No need to dwell on this."

Taking a sip of juice Nyton savored it for a moment before his face became slightly grim. "The next battle we face will be our hardest one yet, possibly our last. Do you feel ready or would you like to refine some of your combat skills with me later?" he offered.

Masako felt her face heat up a bit as she listened to Nyton. She had to admit, that was a very impressive thing to say to someone who was feeling a bit inferior because of her own lack of dream. "You're right, we have things more important to dwell on than an inferiority complex," the small Warrant Officer replied as she quickly finished off her own breakfast.

"If by ready you mean my personal combat readiness, then I would have to say yes," she stated before pausing to scratch her ear a bit. "Honestly, I'm more worried about the others. Especially since the new recruits will literally be getting a Baptism by Fire," the raven-haired Neko muttered out of concern.

Nyton listened to Masako and nodded slightly. "That is true. It will be up to us to get them as prepared as possible then. We need to get those training runs started immediately." he replied before finishing up his breakfast. With his breakfast complete he stood up. "Well I have other tasks to attend to. If you have questions or need any help let me know." he said.

The small Neko gave the Nepleslian giant an adorable smile and nodded. "Of course, I'll be sure to let you know if I need help," she replied as she stayed seated and took a sip of water. "But it goes the same way too, we can't have our Tactical Officer overworked. Don't be afraid to ask me for help if you need it."

"I will, Kurohoshi-Juni. Enjoy the rest of your morning." Nyton then turned to depart when an egg managed to land on top of his egg. A real one this time.

Akiko's voice was heard saying "Oops!" along with someone scurrying away. Nyton was walking away while removing the offending egg from his face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back