• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Locating a Gate Master

Zakalwe

Inactive Member
Seru maintained orbit around Fenyar, thinking. He had come here, in his shuttle, in the hope of setting up a store on the behalf of Emrys Industries, and now he was here he was actually having to think. It had been simple up to now, he's effectively been winging it. First he'd thought long and hard about Fenyar, they fascinated him, what little bits of information there where. It was a bother that he hadn't managed to communicate with the two Fenyaro that had joined the Star Army, but his contacts had failed him. He knew about their physical shape, but little of their mentality, or their cultures. And in such an important thing as first contact with Emrys Industries, one of the first exposures to man, and a trade agreement, understanding personality and culture was vital.

The idea of him being a common example of man amused him. He had always been more than normal man, his privilege as being Geshrin, and he had always been more than Geshrin. Not physically, but in his mind. He thought of things in a different way than the others, and faster, how many times had he been infuriated by others slowness? Not that many actually. Usually he took advantage of it and turned it into a complex trick of words and twisted logic, confusing the other person, and amusing him immensely. None of that here; the situation was too delicate. If there was one thing he knew about diplomacy, it was not to make the other person looks stupid. Well, actually in certain situations it could be useful ... but almost certainly not this one.

And of course he was no longer physically human. Oh, he looked it, but he'd bought all manner of genetic enhancements from PNUgen, in his drive to improve himself, and his company.

What he had heard is that Fenyar was run by some counsel, and there was something to do with Gate Masters. He had of course heard of the Fenyaro's admission to the empire with Proposal 68, and knew of the ban on technology, not including that needed to get off or to get to the planet. He had decided that furthermore, given that there where few humans that had ever gone onto Fenyar, and therefore only a few Fenyaro had ever met them, that it would be best not to be seen by them. But he did need to find a Gate Master, among all these people. There where pin pricks of light all over the surface of the planet, but any of them could be where a Gate Master was.

Seru decided to do an advanced thought process. First he discounted all the large collections. They may have a Gate Master, but the likely hood of detection is much higher. And so he kept away from the large collections, second he looked at their positioning to do with the other dots. He had made the hypothetical jump that the Gate Masters might live in small communities, semi-hermit like. Therefore he was looking for something not to far from civilisation (heralded by a concentration in pin pricks), but not too far away either (where they would not be able to easily aid the communities, which he presumed was part of their purpose. That cut it down to quite a few candidates. He now did the best way he could think of choosing between them. He picked one randomly.

He prepared the shuttle for a descent. As it plunged into the ionosphere, he used the remaining nodal machines in the planet to weave an invisibility and sound proof effect around the shuttle. It was much, much, harder than it should have been. He was level five, such things should be as easy as switching on a light bulb, but it was taking a huge amount of his concentration to keep it going. There was something weird with the nodal system around here, he didn't know if he could have managed this if he was a four, and he knew that he couldn't have done anything if he was a one or a two.

It was a bumpy ride down. Seru was investing so much concentration into keeping the invisibility and soundless effect going that his normally flawless piloting was ... lacking. He landed well though, around a mile from his destination. He hadn't really wanted to be any closer anyway. Maintaining the invisibility effect he walked outside. He had actually dressed in a simple style, jeans and a thread top, trying his best not to even bring advanced clothing onto the planet. He stood tall, with a well built body and strong features, his long black hair tied back in a warrior's knot (it's an effect he favoured because it kept the hair out of his face). His eyes iris' where brilliant cobalt blue, the same shade as his sons, although he had whites unlike his son's disturbing gaze. He held himself proudly and confidently, he stood like that no matter how he felt in side. Appearances where everything.

Turning to the shuttle he concentrated hard, and created an invisibility effect that should last for several hours without his active concentration. If his magic was working properly he have likely submerged it in earth, created a subtle dissuasion aura, or one of a hundred things. As it is, this was the best he could do. He didn't think he was capable of creating and up keeping an invisibility field as he walked to the spot (again something that would have been effortless normally), so he decided upon a slight blurring effect, which would help to hide him.

He began his walk towards the assembly of buildings he could see in the distance, running through his head all the different scenarios he could think of.

"Mr. Emrys sir. We have a bit of an emergency." A voice apeared in Seru's head.

"Ghed, I told you not to call me, this is a sensitive task." Seru said calmly, mid stride.

"Sir, we tried to take care of it ourselves, but as soon as you left all hell broke loose. NovaCorp wants to speak with you, some people called the Leistung group, and an entire organisation need our financial backing. To be fair sir, don't you think that is more significant than setting up trade with a backwards planet?" Ghed sounded worried.

"Ghed, setting up trade relations with a new planet, an entire species, is extremely significant. What is more important, the present or the future?" Seru demanded. Ghed might not know it, but Seru was about to have quite a lot of fun at his exspense.

"Sir, that is not a fair thing to ask." Ghed said, sounding more worried now.

"Are you telling me what is fair and what is not?" Seru demanded with a quiet but strong voice.

"N-no, sir. I wouldn't dream of it." Ghed now sounded chastised, and worried, an intresting mix of emotions.

"So you mean to patronize me?" Seru laughed over their link, "However if I am needed, and you have failed so misserably, I suppose I should come back. Would you like that?" Seru demanded, then chastised, and finished off on a freindly note.

"Why yes sir." He was relieved, it was clear from his voice.

"So you can't handle without me?" Seru asked in an intrested tone of voice, not agressively.

"Well ..." Ghed's voice was filled with indecision.

"If you could you wouldn't sound so enthusiastic." Seru goaded him perfectly with the right intonations and tone.

"Sir, if we handed had these three, and dozens of other programs come into fruition, I'm sure we could have handeled." Ghed said defiantly.

"So you're saying that you can handle the company without me. Maybe you mean to turn it against me?" Seru accused him coldly.

"No sir, never, I would never do something like that." Ghed was filled with near terror. Seru had this effect when he wanted.

"Then your loyalty is respectable, your capacity in question. However I wouldn't worry about it. I'm coming back." A simple game, but he had enjoyed it. He accepted now that he had spent to long preparing for this mission, he shouldn't have thought he could have left his company for five minutes, let alone a week. Why his wife couldn't be just a little more assertive he did not know, she was more than capable.

He turned around quickly, and walked back to the shuttle, a Jilanth class one favoured by Emrys Industries for its speed, and began the start up sequence to leave the planet. The engines engaged, and he began to ascend through the atmosphere, maintaining the invisisibility and anti-sound effect through great concentration. It was not long before he was out, and he rested in orbit for a few minutes, looking at the planet. It was beautifull, and he had looked forward to dealing with these 'Gate Masers'. It would have to wait.

He engaged the gravitic drive to its full, untill it was far enough away from the planet to engage its Hyper-Space Fold Drive. It faded from existance, and would soon arrive at Yamatai.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back