• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

M1 Erla VANDR

Exhack

Inactive Member
Why, you may ask? Apparently, this is entirely unapprovable because certain weapon values are too high.

In which case, allow me to plead my case.

1. Weapon Scaling: The Erla VANDR is not a mecha in the same way a PA is a mecha. It's not a 2 meter tall shell of ultralight metals cocooning a soldier, armed with weapons that are just a little bit better than those fielded by normal infantry. It's a 9 meter tall weapons platform with forearm weapons that are as big as the main rifle of most PAs, and main weapons that would qualify as something in keeping with a medium howitzer. It has room for bigger weapons, something that should be considered when reviewing actual mecha.

2. Weapon Properties: Specifically, the LCPA batteries. These have long charge times that make them difficult to use against units on the move, and are rarely used for anything other than sniping or bombardment. Most units with equivalent power levels can theoretically fire of dozens of shots in the same time span, and have comparably greater range (i.e Mindy 1H).

3. Unit Scaling: The EV is also a much larger target than any PA, being roughly 3-5 times the size of the largest SMODIN-produced unit, and presents a much larger target. I thought that heavier weapons were the presented tradeoff for having something that didn't fit in with the current rules of engagement (PA only).

EDIT: So I decided to reduce the damage on the LCPA and CELB by 1 point, and generally rebalanced things. I figured that giving myself room for tech improvement would be better, anyway.

There is just one thing I would like to get clear, and please forgive the double post. You removed the approval of a submission that was in current IC use, and I'm not sure what the hell I'm going to do now in that RP.

Receiving reviews in an expedient manner is essential at this time.

I don't see what's wrong with this submission. It's a big mech, it can handle big guns.

Also, in the future, things like these insta-unapproves should be brought up before they happen, ESPECIALLY when they're in use at the time in IC posts. It screws the player royally when suddenly the metal between them and a hundred baddies with guns disappears into thin air.

Or while in space: Wheee- *poof* What the-??? Ack!! No oxygen! *gasps and implodes*

Anywho, I also see nothing really wrong with the submission. I'm not really a tech person, but it still seems okay with me. Also, I remember someone questioning something on an approved submission in a formal matter. He didn't have tech mod powers, now that I think about it, but still... he did it in an orderly fashion instead of a ninja edit to the related wikipage.

It'd basically be the same as if Andrew suddenly said that the Mindy was unapproved for being too overpowered in some way. I'm sure that you, Wes, would feel angry, and possibly even a little betrayed, about something that you had approved a while ago. Which brings me to my next issue: Why wasn't your concerns broadcasted in the original submission thread? I highly doubt that it would've even been approved if these concerns of yours were apparent back then.

Why wasn't your concerns broadcasted in the original submission thread?
We've just switched to a new DR system, and the new DRs that were slapped on it are the problem, not really the submission itself.

That makes sense.. I guess. I'm sorry if I seemed a little harsh in my wording, by the way. I appreciate all that you've done for us, but sometimes the way you do things confuses me.

I just got a chance to look at your lowered DRs and they look fine and are now APPROVED again.

However, I have some questions for the mecha:

=== Speeds ===

**Ground speed (Hover):** 80 KM/H\\
**Air speed (Flight):** Mach 5\\
- **Zero Atmosphere (Flight):** .25c\\
+ **Zero Atmosphere (Flight):** .3c\\
**[[MASC Drive|MASC Drive]] (FTL):** 500c\\
\\
**Range:** 7 Days of FTL (3500 LD, 9.5 LY), 6 Months STL (45 LD)\\
**Lifespan:** 35 Years\\

=== Damage Capacity ===

**Hull:** 25\\
- **Shields (Passive):** 15 (Threshold 1.5)\\
- **Shields (Active):** 30 (Threshold 3)\\
+ **Shields (Passive):** 25 (Threshold 5)\\
+ **Shields (Active):** 50 (Threshold 5)\\

What's the deal with these changes?

As far as RP goes, it's okay to keep using the previously approved version (old DR) until the new one is a-ok.

That was Fred's recommendation for the shield SPs, but, since this unit is a scout and it'll probably make this go more smoothly, I think I'll compromise, with the thresholds he suggested, but the SPs from the old one.

I told Exhack that as a Very Heavy class mecha, the Erla's shields were 25/5 if it was equipped with such. We're talking hard shields here, shields whom can block pretty stiff attacks were mecha are concerned.

I also told him that it was possible to tweak things a bit to give more individually to his technology if he wanted. For example, by removing 5 points from his shield pool, he could increase the base mitigation by one, or perhaps do the reverse.

That way, he could use a passive mode that had a weaker mitigation, but could last longer (35/3), or an active mode which had much better mitigation but didn't last as long (the standard 25/5) or even a mode with extremely strong mitigation but with a weaker ability to cope in the long term (15/7) - though I'm not sure the latter is any good against anything but anti-starship weapons.

I've decided to tweak the numbers a bit, going with Fred's suggested SP for shields, and having the active shields gain +5 (+5), instead of doubling.

15/7? Why would you suggest making a mecha impervious to other mecha? Not cool.

Edit: Threshold 10 now?!

Wes, technically, it's to his disadvantage.

Even if his mitigation is higher, his shield's ability to absorb hits is a lot reduced. Yes, perhaps he can take the hits without a Light anti-starship weapon getting through, but on the other hand, his shield reserves are still being depleted.

This is only useful for very short-term combat, in which you don't want to take a scratch.

Also, from my understanding, Exhack's referring to forearm shields, much like what the Mindy II power armor has. Those too are impervious to hits for a short span of time, but require player action to actually be effective.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Fred, but I think I'll just shoot for straight approval this time, and avoid any more debates. 10 does seem like it's high to the point where it might as well be 25, since no PA-grade weapons fire above 5. This is starting to turn into a game of number juggling... something I really hoped to avoid.

The VBS are Base Shields + 20%, with no effects on Threshold.

In this case, that means it's 30, which is stronger than the VSS as the article states, but not to the point where it's just invulnerable. That, coupled with runtimes... I hope, seems fairly reasonable.

Giving any vehicle more than its base shields starts a bad trend of allowing factions to circumvent the shield guidelines.

Having this special bonus to your shields makes your shields more powerful than the shields of any other faction, including higher tech factions like Nepleslia and Yamatai. Yamatai doesn't get shield bonuses on our light-armor ships...so why should your faction?

Why don't we just say your shield tech cancels out with your "average" tech status and call it even at the base SP so you're even with the main factions?

I've decided to give it one more tweak before I head off to sleep.

Now, the base shields would be considered "Advanced", on par with most of the semi-high tech nations of the setting, while the active shields are "Very Advanced".

Aerudirn Armor Colonies
Aerudirn consists of living colonies that grow out into thick, smooth sheets of a high durability, that are have been bred to be resistant to damages from radiation and can charge themselves with an electrostatic field to enforce their surface tension, thereby inhibiting penetration by weaker solid-ammunition weapons. Should the shell be damaged, the colonies underneath, which are dense enough on their own to survive exposure to vacuum can quickly have other sections stretch to accommodate tears, and regenerate completely with enough time.

Armor Type: Light
Structural Points: SP 15

Organoid-type Substructure
Highly resilient organoid tissues form the remainder of the body, including an endoskeleton, muscles and primitive organs that perform various functions related to keeping the unit and runner alive. The tissues have exceptional toughness compared to those of normal species, and can even survive in vacuum conditions should the entirety of the upper armor layer be destroyed. Given the living nature of the organoid, the frame will retain the ability it move it's limbs, even in the event of power failure.

Armor Type: None
Structural Points: SP 10
I was going to be like "Blarg" on having more than one defesive SP, but I they actually total to the 25 the big mech should have, so that's actually fine. It's like an armor version of the shield SP rule I just made (multiple shields are okay as long as they add up to the proper SP amount).

Shields (VSS, Passive): 20 (Threshold 4)
Shields (VBS, Active): 25 (Threshold 5)
Those both seem perfectly reasonable to me. They can't be used at the same time, right?

I'd like to be given a day or so to rework my shield concepts, so I can put together a new system that works much better with our new DR system. So far, I've just been trying to apply the old stats to the new system, and it's been... rocky, at best.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back