• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

M6 Daisy

This has been silent for quite a while, so forgive me for bumping it.

I believe a fusion reactor would be a very nice addition to the Daisy; the sheer amount of power that goes into a shield would probably make capacitors a little lacking. A very small and compact unit would be practically unnoticeable and do little to change aesthetics.

On a separate note, I think that the turreted wrist guns, though more practical, are not the best idea in regards to role playing. What is more fun? To role play laying prone as the turreted wrist guns swivel and track a target, or to barrel role away from a crushing blow and bringing the weapons to bear?

Just my two cents.

Eh, considering they can make aether reactors the size of a CD player they'd probably use th-

*Jimmy is beaten by pack of rhesus macaque's.*

Okay...

At this point, I would add a serious power source. That seems to be the biggest issue of the article.

I would remove the ability of the forearm cannons to swivel (I didn't even know they could before) and possibly add a bit more power to them. I'm not sure if I'm correct in saying that the Daisy is replacing the old Kylie Armor, but if that's true it should also possess the sheer power of it.

And, this is just a request, but could we have more shield shapes?

"Why?" is a perfectly good question, and what I can give you is...

Tower-Shield, to cover body for long-range combat.
CQC-Shield, with mean blades in the front (I'm sure Oshiro Arkase isn't the first and won't be the last to slap-a-biatch with his shield)

Or, better yet, keep the current shield (It's the iconic image of the Daisy we know and love) and give it simple deployable combat blades... Keeping it normal or adding a small new ability to it would probably be best in light of a 'fix' to the article.

Whether or not you like the shield idea, it's really the power source that needs to be changed -- I'd still love the Daisy without new gizmos, but if it's not powered we have serious problems to deal with ICly.

Doshii Jun said:
So we stay on track: What changes should I really make here?

*wristslaps Doshii* Stick to your guns a little more, buddy. You're being too helpful.

The Daisy is the Daisy. It's not a Mindy II, and it never tried to be. It's also not a Kylie replacement.

The Daisy's power supply is a battery pack. There were design decisions behind why it's like that in the series of ground armors Doshii and I worked to make (Sylph, Harpy and ultimately Daisy).

Doshii was clear about why he made the turrets on the forearm swivel. It's his design decision and it should stay that way (it's his submission, after all). They are also not aether weapons, they were always meant to be mostly anti-personnel. The heavier stuff goes for the Mindy.

Shield augmentations sound feasible, seeing its a peripheral. Spring blades or whatever could work - heck, the shield is already serving as improvised club to some. However, the more we arm the Daisy for melee, the more it overshadows its studded knuckleguards and kneeguards.

I agree with Fred. The purpose of this isn't to redesign the Daisy. If it was it would be the Daisy M7.

The M7 is the SARAH, Nashoba. =P

M6-2A would be an actual grounds-up redesign.

M6-1D would be a new variant/minor upgrade.

I would love to see estimated runtimes for Light duty, Heavy combat, and long-distance travel, if possible.

I agree there. How long are the batteries good for, how many does it have, how fast can you charge them... That's all stuff that's immensely pertinent to the Miharu mission at the moment, and it could have a huge impact depending on the decision.

That information was never detailed with the Daisy - it was based off the original version of the Sylph, seeing the battery pack was supposedly the same. Unfortunately, The M4 Sylph got an overhaul when the Daisy became mainstream so to not 'waste the name' and try to fill in for the aging M1 Lamia.

Anyhow, back to your question: the Daisy's battery was made to run for about 7 days of light duty - she's not really capable of 'long-distance travel' though she has a stasis mode that's supposed to be running for up to 4 years. This should actually exactly match its life support capabilities.

The Daisy's battery can probably last 24 to 48 hours of heavy combat on those 7 days of light duty; assuming frequent use of anti-gravity, recharging its barrier, using its forearm cannons, etc... it's a battery with sizeable longevity, but its power feed doesn't match the quantities provided by the energy magazines used by aether saber rifles and other very-high energy weaponry.

Though Doshii can swoop in and veto what I'm saying if he feels I'm out of date, I think we wanted it to be finite. We wanted the ground armor line (finishing with the Daisy) to have some limitations and to not be too perfect and rather a reliable, rugged piece of equipment that would be more interactable with, especially regarding issues such as logistics and squad support.

I'm willing to strike a balance.

There CAN BE a fusion reactor inside the Heavy Fusion Thruster Pack, which could recharge the Daisy and greatly increase its range, at the expense of making it being an encumbrance during battle (which it's supposed to be anyway).

I don't mind giving the Daisy more range with use of the pack, but Fred's right. The point was to make the Daisy reliant on constant resupply, unlike a Mindy, which has infinite power reserves since it operates at FTL speeds.

For Miharu players, Fred's assessments stand. The capacitors themselves are located throughout the armor; it's essentially one big battery, or that's how I visualized it. Don't fear: The armor won't explode on a bad hit or something.

I only have one question left to have answered, and that's the recharge time. For instance, I had Kyou plug in her daisy, presumably only for a minute or so. How much would that have changed her power levels?

I give permission for the above details to be added to the DAISY page.

Usually, batteries that last long also take a long time to recharge. My impression is that the Daisy's battery would be assumed to actively operate for 16 hours per day on 'light duty', with the power armor being hooked up to entirely recharge the power loss in the next 8 hours.

Considering how the Daisy has 168 hours of light duty function in it, each hour of combat likely decreases this by 6 'light duty' hours. Considering how 1 recharge hour recovers 2 'light duty' hours, it'd take 3 recharge hours to recover from 1 hour of heavy combat.

I'd suspect that in the field, provided access to a mobile field base, it'd likely be more advantageous for a Daisy squad expecting heavy action to have spare battery power supplies that their technicians would swap for fresh ones as needed, with the old ones put on chargers.

On Miharu, it's probably not much of a concern. A Daisy that started fighting from the very beginning of Amaya's Gate will probably be able to last until the very end of the mission, seeing how it's doubtful that the entire mission will require 24 continuous hours of continuous active combat.

In Kyou's case, the energy gain to her chosen power armor while hooked up is minimal... but remember that the Daisy's battery doesn't have the power output to make certain high-energy systems function such as the teleportation module, the aether saber-rifle and so forth. However, the capacitors Kyou and Asher are presently using are short supply quick-energy-feed/quick-recharge capacitor reserves, so those benefit from being cabled up and can probably recharge everybit as quickly as the system they usually power (30 seconds to gain a teleport charge, and a pair of capacitor is worth a teleport charge in power).

RPG-D RPGfix
Back