• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Maintenance Misconceptions

Yeah, Zesu is one of those components that need to be replaced rather than repaired. It is possible, however, to replace it with more Zesu or some Durandium in a pinch.

Zesuaium, meanwhile, is not easy for something else to adhere to for patching purposes. The surface of it has special imperfections left intentionally to grab paint, but I'm otherwise unsure or how well patches would adhere. I do know the patch would become the structural weak point, and that sharp zesu edges are able to cut through just about anything. The first time that zesu plate is stressed enough to flex around the patch, the patch would probably fail.

Last edited:
Maybe i’m asking stupid questions but i’m trying to understand the depth of the PA. So, how does a PA repair itself? I mean it requires resources right? And what happens if there is a limit supply of resources available? Does it simply repair the life essential areas?

Osmiridium has no backlinks to any mindy, zesu, daisy, nor ketsurui pages. It also is produced by/for certain companies and groups (SS is one! But that's not the Yam military and do they even wear Mindy??) but the page also says to contact Nashoba if you want to have it be used by any other groups. tldr: osmiridium is pretty restricted and it would likely never see use by an saoy crewmen imo.

Patching is not even a last resort act on a zesuaium armor. The patch wouldn't stay for the points Toshiro pointed out.

To scratch at the surface of your answer, RaWolfe. When this happened to my character:
fetch.php

... I wrote this (It's probs one of my fav posts I have ever written on Star Army RP) which had my character use molecure tape over parts of the exposed yarvex chain mail and titanium alloy chassis. It was on Wes' plot and ended up getting the art above to memorialize it, so it must have worked lol. Oh and my character lived long enough to get back on the ship and call Hanako one of her least favorite names, "Ketsurui-hime".

I say all of this because it is the only time I can remember that someone has patched themselves up while in the field/a Mindy that I have read.

That's why I think having an alternative that can get broken and can be repaired on the ground is a great idea, but it would need to be done thoughtfully and with a lot of insight from the FM, Wes.

If they were deploying in a more traditional assault mission however, they'll don power armors in a heartbeat.
Okay, but are we really going to carry around 3-4 or even 2 types of recon armor and use them on a per-mission basis? That's a lot of extra armors, armor parts, compatible armor weapons, etc. and it's going to affect a unit's mobility and dependability, not to mention the manufacturing output it takes to outfit soldiers with multiple armors/suits for various missions, which could be better used on non-redundant things.

To be honest, they only need a non-PA, and a PA for options really. Because if it is at the point they do have to use PA, there is no point in using a stealth PA. That is why I designed the new hard suit as the former, because it's low-profile, low maintenance, and a versatile piece of field gear that fits their needs. Beyond that as I have said, they can use the Daisy if it's escalated that far, as someone GMing the rangers, it's all I see them needing. As well as all I plan for them to use. Me and Glein have been working hard on stuff and planning for the ranger boys, and have agreed there isn't really the need for anything else but those two things. The only exception to this I can think, is the new adaptive camouflage coat skully made, which could be used by Ranger snipers, but that's about it.

I mean you're either in combat or you're not. If you are you want the baddest gear you can, and if not, it doesn't matter and you can wear volleyball shorts that barely hide your genitals. These new armors seem to be for something that's not a 1 or a 0 on the binary scale of "is combat expected, yes or no?" which is why you're getting skepticism about the utility.

The rangers are meant to avoid direct combat and be lowkey in how they operate. They aren't there to assault bases, but do recon, hit and run, sabotage, VIP assassination, support local insurgents against the enemy maybe even. And do all this for even up to possibly months at a time in enemy territory. They don't operate like normal infantry, and don't use equipment like what would be given Rikugan either, as they mainly use lighter kit to keep that lowkey status when operating in the field.

I think I can see where you are going, with this lightly armored skirmishers/scouts have been a part of warfare from day one, and are still with us. However, when I look at the setting and go 'ok, I want a scout/skirmisher' I'm going to go with what amounts to a Xiulurium Mindy or M6-1C Daisy type thing. Why? Because powered armor in this setting can fly, giving a huge mobility advantage over being on foot, even on foot, they allow for greater loads of gear. Because of that, they can bring more drones and other gear into play. It also means that if you do get your cover blown, you need to be able to be mobile, and being on foot isn't mobile in this setting. There are almost no downsides to a well designed suit of powered armor in this setting.

I think the setting and the given scenario is quite important when dealing with active PA or using troops like rangers. For example on Hanako Resistance most of the PA got either destroyed or heavy damage (hence why asked about repairs so much). So there ranger tactics are essential for the survival of the people.

A suit of PA can still be weapon locked, which is a big mainstay of smart weapons in the setting, a non-PA kit is rather hard to weapon lock if it's not made of armored plating.

Its mostly doctrine. Nepleslia uses a full up, if relatively lightweight PA in the Raider.

A suit of PA can still be weapon locked, which is a big mainstay of smart weapons in the setting, a non-PA kit is rather hard to weapon lock if it's not made of armored plating.

IR Tracking, Aspect Targeting, Electrical Activity tracking, Heartbeat tracking...

It might be honestly worth just taking a look at the ranger and special force's units and recheck there operational objective and what they need for equipment. That way we can see a clear picture of what they need and worth out a competition like how many military's do design competitions.

I'm just going to say that Nepleslia's tanks are cooler than any PA here.

And they're easy to fix because we can just print you a new one from our tons of Nepleslian industrial worlds. So join Nepleslia.

I definitely didn't miss the point of this thread, you know. I'm saying that Nepleslia's tanks have good maintenance and people should understand how great we are because of it. So they should hurriedly join us and use our very low-maintenance tanks.

It might be honestly worth just taking a look at the ranger and special force's units and recheck there operational objective and what they need for equipment. That way we can see a clear picture of what they need and worth out a competition like how many military's do design competitions.
Yeah, if this was real life I'd be calling the unit commanders asking "what do you actually need?"

I was at work with most of this, so let me chime back in stupidly late.

Okay, but are we really going to carry around 3-4 or even 2 types of recon armor and use them on a per-mission basis? That's a lot of extra armors, armor parts, compatible armor weapons, etc. and it's going to affect a unit's mobility and dependability, not to mention the manufacturing output it takes to outfit soldiers with multiple armors/suits for various missions, which could be better used on non-redundant things.
I was merely pointing out that if they were expected to perform an assault mission, they'd don appropriate gear. They however, only do such missions if they're expected to just be attached to a regular Rikugun unit. If part of a primarily Ranger unit, they operate with the expectation of making sure to avoid combat in the first place. But if combat happens despite their best efforts, I would like to have some armor between me and the other guys. Even if it isn't a full PA suit. And I was looking at what kit was available currently, and went with what was available. I only worked on the PAAR-40 and the SAR T41b in trying to update gear felt cumbersome or not completely up to date with current situations. Heck, I even made the PAAR-40 to use already existing stockpiles of ammo fitted into a different means of propulsion to operate with.

I think I can see where you are going, with this lightly armored skirmishers/scouts have been a part of warfare from day one, and are still with us. However, when I look at the setting and go 'ok, I want a scout/skirmisher' I'm going to go with what amounts to a Xiulurium Mindy or M6-1C Daisy type thing. Why? Because powered armor in this setting can fly, giving a huge mobility advantage over being on foot, even on foot, they allow for greater loads of gear. Because of that, they can bring more drones and other gear into play. It also means that if you do get your cover blown, you need to be able to be mobile, and being on foot isn't mobile in this setting. There are almost no downsides to a well designed suit of powered armor in this setting.
Because as useful as all that is... CFS is a huge signal flare, not to mention deadly to anyone unshielded. You legit cannot use some of that benefit without frying anyone unshielded in such a fashion as to murder them. Concealing the armor when not in use is even more gear you have to carry that may take up room you need for more useful kit. Oh, and if you have to ditch the armor because you can't recover it or even get into it before getting engaged, isn't exactly going to look good on your record after the fact (I understand many can't see this being a potential situation, but I can. And have been in with the Kaiyo II. Not having options to have people stuck outside of PA fighting enemy PA in a close quarters situation was not particularly fun or even engaging, it was, as Fiver is prone to say, supremely irksome. If I'm supposed to be using PA regularly, then why is it the one time I needed it for a fight [as the previous scenes I'd been in had me be in PA, but not actually need it], I couldn't use it? Or more importantly, not have the means to engage the enemy to try and reduce the effectiveness of their PA.).

Yeah, if this was real life I'd be calling the unit commanders asking "what do you actually need?"
This is why I went with items currently available. Things that fit the operation profile, for both Infantry and Rangers, on the Artemis and worked out what we would and wouldn't have stocked, much less what could be stocked with the idea of having a company's worth of material to support 6 months with few resupplies. We're really only two undersized platoons, one of which is fully PA-equiped and expected to be deployed in PA if they're needed. Rangers are going to primarily deploy outside of PA, unless the environmental conditions (such as Space or a Hostile Environment) means they need to load up into a PA suit to be able to operate normally. I've been asked if we have one of the SAoY tanks on the Artemis, and have said no. Why? As useful as a tank would be as a assault tool... We gave up the space to fit it to load extra parts for extending our ability to operate away from support bases, since it would have taken up space itself, as well as space for it's spare parts, then there's the fact that we'd lose a fireteam for a tank crew.

These descriptions of the Rangers are getting confusing now. I need a yes or no answer because you guys are saying both.

When asked why PA is not suitable for Rangers you say, “because they don’t expect combat.”

When asked, “what if they get caught?” you say “they’ll wear PA if they expect combat.”

They aren’t going to get caught back at camp, when they get caught it’ll happen when they’re scouting or on a mission.
So what are they wearing while on a mission? Not PA.
So what are they going to wear when they get attacked? Not PA.
So why bring PA as a backup when you won’t have a chance to return to camp to put it on? In case they’re attacked by PA troops.
So do they expect to see combat? No.
So if they get detected and attacked, what will they be wearing? Not PA.
What will the enemy be attacking with? PA.
So they do expect to be engaged by PA? No...

And around we go! The wiki page says...
“In the field, reconnaissance operatives take on scouting, observation, harassment and patrol duties in areas of interest ahead of the main force... While it is imperative that reconnaissance units be swift and covert enough to avoid enemy detection, units should also be equipped with or have access to enough firepower to directly engage hostile forces.“
According to this I’d say they need PA. Harassing PA troops is going to result in a PA response.

CFS is a huge signal flare, not to mention deadly to anyone unshielded
This is completely untrue of CFS technology as if you follow the link you will discover that it has fantastic stealth capabilities. Additionally, no PA has ever had any issues being around another combined field so if your Rangers all wore PA we wouldn’t have to worry about CFS related injuries.

Also CFS isn't always on, Sacre often operates with it off so she doesn't kill her patients. I'm not 100% sure, but I think there might be non CFS shields as well.

The combined field system can indeed harm people and is not recommended for use indoors.

Well there is a power armor unit that overlaps a bit with rangers now. Though I feel like things are getting to pre-SOCOM levels of ad-hoc in organizations. Lol

Rangers: Sneeki Breeki stabbers
Giretsu: Less Sneeki Breeki facesmashers since they use MCAS.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back