Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Suggestion Make a "Starter Kit" item bundle for new characters.

Charmaylarg Dufrain

🎖️ Game Master
Let's be honest not a lot of newbies don't spend that 6,000DA/3,000KS in character creation. I would like to give new characters some items to start with as an included link to a separate page on the character template.

In a setting where some people play only a single character at most and play them all over the setting in various plots/factions/groups there really isn't any common starter items characters get beyond the starting KS/DA unless you are starting in the NSMC or something that has a standard equipment link. While the money they have at the start of character creation reflects their ability to buy items with it many new people to the setting are intimidated by the wiki and will not even know where to begin. With Wes making so many common-item articles I would like to propose a Starter-Kit that new players can/might start with and will be included as a single link in the inventory section of the character template such as the starting DA/KS is to a single page list of the items.

Obvious things like shirts and other clothing articles are a given. But some things like having a Datajockey or a simple weapon like a Little Killer laser pistol already predisposes them to the trouble of scrounging through the wiki for such common items many characters might already make sense to have. All in no more than a backpack or bag they might have on them.

If they start in the star army, nep, the NDC, etc. It isn't so much an issue either; Plenty of people have personal belongings before joining the military. But it is there if they need it or want it and offers the opportunity to give some new use to old items or articles that might be perfect for something like this to include and give some new use to.

I don't have an extensive list of what such a kit might entail and would like some input if the suggestion takes off of what existing items that are commonly available could be added to it! I'm also not asking anyone else like Wes to make it, as I am willing to make and submit it but would love any help anyone else is willing to give in the process!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back