• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Character Makter Feltly

Kayto Styles

Inactive Member
Name: Makter Feltly

General Information
Species: Nepleslian

Family: He has long since been on his own but was raised by some of the homeless on Nepleslia.
Faction: Independent

Physical Characteristics
Height: 5' 10" (178cm)
Weight: 176lb (79.8kg)

Build and Skin Color: Tanish Well toned muscle on his arms, legs, and chest not much on a abs though.
Face and Eye Color: Some what pale face with what seems like genetically defected baby blue eye's
Hair color and Style: Red, Long bang's straight and parted down the middle.

Distinguishing Features: His eye's are an obvious enhancement of the color blue almost as if painted.

Psychological Characteristics
People that have seen him have stated he has a childlike attitude toward almost everything but extremely intelligent. Has a since of nobility and prefers not to kill anything living unless he has no choice.

Personality: Acts much younger then what his age would say. This due to the fact that he was denied a real childhood living on the street's absorbed in the information the city so willingly displayed and fighting to live to the next day. But now that he seems to being taking care of himself effortlessly he's reliving the childhood he'd wanted to have.

Likes: Anything sweet, the smell of newly crafted components, anything that lights up spins or has other mechanical property's, cartoons.

Dislikes: Sour things, the city smog, people that have proven to be smarter then him though he hardly ever shows his real intelligence.

Goals: To make the best of his second childhood this time with real living friends.

History

Born and raised in the slum's of Nepleslia in the constant shadow of the military housing facility or The Scraper's as some called it. It was a well informed and very active part of town though slum's none the less. Orphaned at the age of three he was taken up and raised by a group of people most of which had no real place to call home so they just carried him along from outer city parameter's to just on the outskirt's of the inner city where security was tighter for the higher ups. Since the people he learned to call his family constantly moved around the industrialized planet he never got to make a friend let alone meet one that would associate with a street rat like him.

Since his life was constantly on the move and he never had a proper education yet plenty of time on his hand's at the age of 8 he started hovering around display shop's and facility's that would allow access to their computers in so doing he began absorbing the knowledge on his own. Some people were amazed to see a filthy kid like him so immersed in learning and being so adapt at it that they often offered their assistance if so needed. It also didn't hurt when he called them sir or mama to give them the impression of self worth.

Around the age of 11 he was accidentally separated from his family group and was introduced for the first time to street fighting. After the gang had there go at him for wager's on how long he'd last before they knocked him out cold he took to learning self defense information and combat training simulators at VR stores. After about 6 months he was able to at least give a slight beating back but ended up worse for wear. Over time he perfected his ability's to fight and armed himself with some light weapons to hopefully keep some distance from anything dangerous.

At the age of 16 he started doing odd jobs for some of the local mobs to earn cash. Most of the jobs were just delivery and pick up but one outta five always ended up with him running away bullet's flying. After earning a fair amount of pocket money he bought his first Networking computer that he could jack into building's and download information on that wouldn't normally be allowed free of charge. After extensive learning of computer's from the information he stole he became quicker at this and learned still more.

Currently he's left the group he had grown up with and now at the age of 23 he's been busted a few times with possession of illegal information but the Officer's are so corrupt in the outer city that you could bribe them and get off without a report. After some wheeling and dealing of information he was able to gain access to the main city of Nepleslia where information seemed to be stored by the space station load. Now with fresh credit and the means to walk around freely without question he'd have to find a way to start gathering his knew source of information and see what else lays beyond.

Skills:

Fighting and Physical: He knows his way around many types of weaponry. Mak also knows how to handle himself with hand to hand fighting such as boxing, kick boxing, and some forms of martial arts. When using his bio-cybernetic arm these moves become much more devastating yet he still prefers fighting at a distance.

Information Tech: Computer's are his life, networking and coding fall hand in hand as the stream of information opens up to him.

Mathematics: Coding variable's and the basic language of the world is done in mathematics and in this aspect he knows almost everything about it. Though holding so much information in his head leads him to suffer from erratic migraines.

Rogue: Living on the street's he's gained the basic knowledge of how thing's are done down to the mob's inner working's. Some time's people find him fairly charitable with what his slight of hand can acquire him.

Important Items

(VR Eye Piece)
(Bio-Cybernetic Exo-Skeleton Arm)
Laptop
GP-12B1

Bio formatting needs cleaned up, and skill area descriptions need to be written before this character biography can be considered, okay?

Uso Tasuki said:
Don't say your a class A hacker when you haven't ever RPed a hacker on this site before.

He can be a Class A hacker if he wants to it's his own mind's eye of how he See's himself. The fact that I even followed all your character set up thing's is a miracle of my patience and love for Tiffany/JoMidori. I have kept my character how he was when I first made him and I'd rather like to keep it like that. He can hack with the best of them but he's not as well "publicized" perhaps since most of anything big he does looks like some kid playing a joke.

Besides I don't see your name in the list for being able to approve a character smart ass.

*laughs lightly at the comment but tries to hide it*

I would just get used to his smart mouth, thats the testament of my love to him....But regardless, he is the one that taught me to rp, and obviously I was good enough to have a samurai as my first character, so that has to say somethin right? o_O;

He can hack with the best of them

What you wrote in the history section is supposed to be factual about your character. If its in his minds eye that he is the best hacker ever then put that in the personality section.

For one you and your character don't have any experience RPing in the Star Army setting and while normally that isn't a problem it starts becoming problematic when you want to play your character as really good in an area when they are just starting out. Not only do you and your character not know how to hack in the SA setting but an attempt at that would most likely end up with your character being killed by the sentient computers that he is trying to Hack.

While I'm at it you should take out the line about knowing about the Mob's inner workings for the same reason.

Beside's I don't see your name in the list for being able to approve a character smart ass.

I'm one of the people who has been around the site for a long time. While I'm not one of the oldbies like Thad or Derran I still know way more than enough to tell you that trying to play an Artisan when your still a Layman is not only bad for the quality of RP but usually produces continuality and plot issues over the course of the plot arcs you participate in.

Also its sees not See's

mobile not mobil

migrains not Migrain's

Please remember that an apostrophe is used to show possession not plurals.

Your last Paragraphs also should go in tech discussion as well. You also might want to ask there with help developing your characters arm, computer skills, and computer power.

You are coming off like a kid who can't take criticism. If you are I suggest you just leave now and save yourself the trouble.

JoMidori, your not going to be able to coast on that forever ^_^. Soon enough there will be someone else who wants to play as a Goverment Samurai.

Wow Tiff was right you are just as bad as Shawn from the other board. A snide remarking, (I won't go into name calling just yet since Tiff thinks I'm always a smart ass to people that don't understand me.) who thinks he knows best and once he's run out of anything relevant to the subject he tried to pick off at spelling errors. The fact of the matter is like i said in earlier post I'm still working on the history more or less that stuff was just general information. Also the fact that he is "Child like" in his skill's what do you think a kid would do if he had a key to the world? Not destroy the place or cause riots just simply get by and have fun doing it.

I wouldn't NEED to put in his personality section that he thinks he's good because in truth everyone that does a job long enough thinks they are good at it. Another note, I read through just about every RP post from start to end before I even think about joining I know how to handle myself.

Note: If your just like Shawn from the other board who was the admin of the whole thing and start getting smart with me I can drive you down just like I did him. He took his anger out on me and just about every one there respected my opinion's and how I looked at thing's and as soon as I couldn't stand him and went off he banned me which in turn cause every RPer to leave his board since I was the one holding it together. He had to unban me to get them back but then I just left which still cause the people that came back to leave. I don't like people that think they are all knowing and try and pass off their cut downs as "Helpful remarks" when they obviously aren't, so it's probably best you zip it and leave your hate for my character for the RPing and not me.

I usually refrain from commenting on things like this, but I will add my two cents:

When we make characters, we want them to be something special. ANYONE can be a technical sentry or an infantryman, but it's the little things we give characters that make them stand out.

Personality is usually the number 1 thing that separates characters from each other. However, some players feel that they must have something more tangible than personality to make their characters into the beautiful snowflakes that they are. This is where the skillsets come in.

The skillsets are a miraculous tool for creativity. You can put just about anything in there to give a character that special something that he or she can do and nobody else can. Players do this as a safeguard in case that, somewhere out there in the RP, somebody else's personality is the same as his character's, causing a sense of instant-staleness to occur.

There's nothing wrong with this when used to a certain extent. My first character, Tom Freeman, ( https://stararmy.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1634 ) is a performer with a special emphasis on dance. In fact, I've somewhat godmoded his dance skill ("fluid and awe-inspiringly graceful") to make him stand out. When, if ever, I should have Tom dance, I want him to be THE man at dancing.

So why wasn't I sassed by anybody when I took such liberty with my character?

It all comes down to how your character affects others. Super-duper dancing may influence how other people think of him, but it most certaintly wouldn't have some kind of harmful effect on the game world. It's kickin' rad character flavor for a kickin' rad free-wheelin' cursing santo hei.

Now, let's discuss a class-A hacker as we've put it. The Star Army of Yamatai RP is driven by technology. It's a sci-fi story where computers play a role in basically EVERYTHING in the universe. A character who has an elite level of hacking presents a clear and present danger to the universe we play in. With the proper writing ability, you can shut down a starship, be wealthy beyond your dreams, shape the very game that we play.

The community, as a whole, cares VERY much about SA and would defend the RP from forces that it would consider harmful. It's not because we hate the person who posts the controversial subject, but rather a need for the community to maintain the stability of the universe.

Players also want to defend their characters from harm. A super hacker, again, if written carefully, can kill player characters via countless means of sabotage. Obviously, players wouldn't want this to run around in the RP. You can also see this in the "Fighting and Physical" skillset where people write their characters to be super martial artists and gun-toting death machines.

You can also see this resistance when it comes to things that are outlandish or unexplanable. Some characters are written so they can cast magic, study ancient lost languages, do everything well, etc. It's all a matter of balance.

It's also a matter of trust, which sadly, is not placed in new players. New players have to earn trust through contribution to the RP in the form of good roleplaying, story/character/technology ideas, etc.

You start at the bottom of the totem pole and move up. We have an entire board ranking system that coincides with this.

Of course, it still all comes down to trust. And, if you are trusted enough, you can do great things. It's all a matter of earning it.

For now, though, Kayto, you have to start at the bottom of that trust scale, as all new players must. It's nothing personal, just a matter of players protecting something they care about.

Sometimes even we old veterns don't get any respect either ya know XD. Half the time I feel like I'm the RPs doormat

See JoMidori's post that should move me up the "pole" If she has been accepted here.

Then see bottom of first post's note's.

Also the fact that he's childish would mean killing and or sabotaging people to die in space wouldn't be something he would do. He's a very moral person.

Only reason I even signed up was because Tif asked me too since I've kinda fallen out of RPing on board's since most of my spare time is spent working on my book. It's frankly a personal favor to her... and as a bonus she made doc and furbie sign up so I actually get to see them RP again after all this time.

Then there is always the simple you don't like what I post you can delete it remove it and out right tell me to stop, but to shoot some one down without even seeing what they've got is just saying that person is just down right untrustable.

There are obviously hacker types in this RP at least as NPC's just think of it as one with his own brain for a change. He's not much of a fighter just basic combat and small arms weapon's so it would be easy for him to just be shot or maybe his neck slit while he sleep's. He's still human/Nep without any real strength's besides being able to get into locked information site's maybe cause havoc on the traffic controller's take over a drone. Anyone with engineering skill's could fix what he's done. If you won't even give me the decency to make at least one post and be judged on that then I'll just stay off on the sideline's and read tiff's post maybe give some of my own comment's on tech and weaponry development.

Well, the constant implications of superiority in such scant few posts certainly haven't shown me you're any less pompous than you claim the person you're maligning is ^^;

Though I commend you for standing up for yourself, the method was a tad brash perhaps?

Ah yes, and if you're actually still interested, the bold needs to be used more sparingly in the bio~

Rei said:
Ah yes, and if you're actually still interested, the bold needs to be used more sparingly in the bio~

It was a cut and paste fill in the blank's your site provided. So don't bring up the bold's or red with me. It's your guy's set up on the character sheet fill out area :lol:

As tiff said I'm a smart ass I'm guilty of it no questions about it I didn't fire the first shot Uso did I didn't go look at his/her character and comment about how he/she lack's the ability to be his/her class due to the fact that she's never RPed on this board before. Or comment's about her spelling like is "sees this more as a test of his skill" then "see this more as a test of his skill"

^^^ Direct from his/her character profile omg it's a mistake :shock:

Now since Wes said nothing about me not being able to be a hacker in the post right under mine I'd find that atleast some what reassuring. I'm holding true to my last post end of disscusion, judgement is due and I frankly don't care. I did this for Tiffany not me so if I'm not accepted she can blame you guy's not me ^_^ thuse logically she can't be upset with me for not atleast trying.

About the formatting, this is an example of what your bio should look like.

As for the character itself, it seems like a power character to me. Do you think you could tone him down a bit? Hackers are okay, but starting off and immediately being a god of cyberspace isn't really something that is going to help the story, as others have pointed out (some in friendly ways, some abrasively).

I'd like to have My EMP Pistol.... I can describe it in detail later if you wish..... and though you Don't have a Distributer .44 with holo point bullet's (For armor piercing reason's) is there any weapon in the list that can be modified to hold holo point's?
You're welcome to have some of these things, but you'll need to post the infomation about them on the Military, Corporate, and Technology Discussion Forum for approval. As long as they make sense (and are written fairly decently), you shouldn't have any trouble getting them approved quickly.

I already limited myself to only 4 skill's i mean i could have done nano construction and engineering since i have some fun idea's to work with on those to combination's but if you want me to clip his wing's further like i said he thinks of himself as A class we'll just call it ego. But he can slide with Network hacking as a specialty. There for the only systems he can get into have to be hard wired to a mainframe... so people with implants or whatever else is safe. For the most part he can only get into NPC transactions and some relayed information that isn't coded throughly. Hopefully this makes some people feel better... not like i was going to start taking over people's brain's or ship's and having them fly into the nearest star. something like that would take hour's and be traceable.

And once I start and after awhile will I be able to pick up additional skills? He might be childish but he loves to talk and learn about new thing's from people. It's basically how he grew up on the street to learn what he has.

And once I get this aproved I'll start posting up weapon configurations and his robotic exo-skeleton right arm.

See JoMidori's post that should move me up the "pole" If she has been accepted here.

Then see bottom of first post's note's.

Also the fact that he's childish would mean killing and or sabotaging people to die in space wouldn't be something he would do. He's a very moral person.

Wes nails it. The point isn't that your character WOULDN'T do anything bad with his abilities, it's the fact that he's so good at hacking that he COULD do harm.

From what I know, samurais don't really adhere to the same rank system as other star army members do. They simply have a very strict code of ethics that they must adhere to. Since I haven't heard people bitching at her, JoMidori must be doing a decent job at it. Good for her. She was also the first player, I believe, to play a samurai as well (although I could be wrong), so naturally, she gets extra points for being ambitious.

That she would vouch for you does mean something, I suppose, but your admitted standoffishness most certainly doesn't help your cause. The fact that you hold to your guns is admirable, but the stubborness and percieved arrogance you bring to the table is a major detractor.

I'm going to depart from my usual politeness, Kayto, and be a direct, straight-shooting type of guy, as I think you would appreciate that. I would appreciate it if you spent the time to read this.

Having been an aggressive salesperson before in a very high stress, quota-driven job, I can appreciate your determination. However, even the best people have to know how to make comprimises. You're not showing us that you can do that.

You've basically walked into another person's (Wes, the rest of us) business and started making demands. You're holding some weird "I won't feel guilty if I leave, it's your fault so take it or leave it" attitude above Wes's head, who is being really patient in regards to this whole argument.

To be honest, Wes WANTS you to play this game, as more players translate to more fun. But again, if you walked off in a grand tirade of pompousness (perhaps in an effort to make us feel bad for what we're seemingly going to lose), the community would care less. The fact that you ADMIT to shutting down a previous RP community with your revolutionary antics is percieved as nothing more than a veiled threat. I also doubt your leaving here would have little, if any effect on the other players in this game (with the possible exception of JoMidori).

So why you even brought that up is beyond me. It sounds like an unneccessary need to compensate for some shortcoming.

This character you created sounds like it'd be a blast to play, the kind of happy-go-lucky romanticized hacker image. But why must he be so powerful at what he does? Would it not be more fun to start at a low level of hacking and build it up through strong RPing? Not only would you earn the trust of the community as a whole, but you would also feel much better about your character as you watch him evolve in front of you.

The GM has laid out a clear compromise for you to follow, as he most certainly wants more players. The ball is in your court, now. You can join us and have a fun time, or you can go on your own way.

If you join us (with the mentioned compromises), I whole-heartedly welcome you to the community, and would love to see your guy be the first character to join the Star Army of Nepleslia (if he would be so inclined to do so).

And, if you should go your own way, save us the stinging "I'm gone, ya'll suck, I'm better than you" last post tirade. We've seen it before.

Bio formatting needs cleaned up
Since you apparently couldn't figure it out, I cleaned up the formatting for you. I noticed while doing it that you appear to have some disconcerting spelling and grammar problems, so you might want to stick to play-by-post role-plays where you can take your time to proofread your posts in advance.

Also, all the stuff under "History" wasn't history! It was physical description and gear. You should write his history now.

Here's the stuff about the gear...it's not part of the character, and thus shouldn't be in his character sheet.
Over his back is a leather black book bag inside is the rest of his hacker gear. He can crack almost any code within seconds and jam signals with a blink his backpack has a mobile dish so he can project his signals fast and right in the middle of combat. His gear is then finished off with a dark blue Cotton t-shirt and blue jean shorts sometimes seen with a black leather trench coat.
Once you have the history done, I can finally approve your character.

Tom said:
And, if you should go your own way, save us the stinging "I'm gone, ya'll suck, I'm better than you" last post tirade. We've seen it before.

Didn't say i was going to do that said I just wouldn't RP and would gladly design weapondry and the such in my spare time.

I was comparing one smartass to another when mentioning shutting down that board. People like that always end up getting themselves into things they shouldn't have any say in.

History... should be fine enough I like leave space open to perhaps have a blast from the past surprise that i think up later.

Tom you have every right to think of me like that and i take no offence because I would have gone off on me too. the fact that I've already been getting negative feedback from Tiffany about Uso made me snap all that much more at him. Comment's he made to her were rude and were uncalled for so I just find that I dislike him period.

That is a lot better. The history dosen't need to be so long and would probably even be better off shortened with the bits about the mob cut out. That should go mainly because the 'Mob' you are refering to comes in as many colors as there are M&Ms and all of which are major NPCs.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back