Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Approved Submission Martial Arts

Reynolds

Submission Type: Martial Arts on SARP guide, links and base namespace
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=martial_arts

Faction: Yamatai-focused, other factions briefly covered, will add more if other factions wish to contribute
FM Approved Yet? Doshii Jun consulted but not formally approved
Faction requires art? No

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? Yes
Contains New art? No
Previously Submitted? No

Notes: This all sprang out of my desire to create a custom martial art, as I started doing research on other martial arts and could not find much information on the wiki. I realized I would need to get some experts to weigh in and provide info. Once I had all that information in one thread, I decided I might as well make a wiki article with it so others could find it easily in the future. I did my best to clear the Samurai martial arts descriptions and classifications with @Doshii Jun and @Fred while @Wes also weighed in. I tried to contact some SAINT players to okay the name and description I gave to the 'secret agent' type of style I assigned them, based on how I've seen SAINT Operatives RPed and some stories from the thread, but I didn't get much response.

I was hoping to make this a new default namespace (like :music is) at ':martial arts' but it said not to create new namespaces without approval, so I put it in wip first. I was hoping you could move it to just ':martial arts' for me, as I was planning to have some new martial arts that are being created now use that as the base namespace (like the one I'm submitting alongside this). Some of those unapproved martial arts are described and linked here, but those can be removed if they wind up not being approved.

Last edited by a moderator:
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
That'll be up to @Wes Reynolds. He'll do the move. One thing I would like to make clear though, is that this approval is only for the main article, not the sub articles. If you would like for those to be approved as well, I can do so in this thread, but will need more time to read everything.

There is only one unapproved wiki page linked to on this one. It has been submitted for approval, but I have not heard anything back on it for a while now.

Thanks for digging these out under your own steam! Those are indeed hand-to-hand systems that have been brought up in cannon, and are still officially recognised.

Someone (I'm guessing Dumont) pointed the article out to me a long time ago. But I couldn't read/understand it, so I shelved the update for a while. I'm still not entirely sure I properly described what it is all about, but I did my best to get it included.

It's pretty accurate. I guess the only thing the descriptive text on the 'polysentience' heading glosses over, is the fact The Art Of Never Again, basically the Freespacer bible, was originally a guerrilla tactics manual in the first place. So their independence has always included some kind of martial arts influence, even if much of it has ended up being debased by religious leaders as some kind of peaceful spiritual pursuit.

The description of the Pathless Journey, on the other hand, is spot on.

I rewrote that bit with that new information in mind. Does that fit a little better? If I'm still missing the point you can edit it, or let me know what seems out of place.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back