• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Mass, Weight, Volume, and You.

DocTomoe

So, here's the deal. We have these lovely articles on various materials found in our setting, materials which we've come to have common contact with throughout our character interactions with their world, but there's a pickle, we don't know many physical properties of these materials.

While we know that zesuaium and nerimium are both dense, and heavy, we don't know just how dense and heavy they are, it has never been numerically or visually represented, and that makes it tricky for people who are writing technology articles, or, are interacting with these materials in play.

Just what is the volume and weight of a kilogram of zesuaium in one Yamataian g, what about in five g's? Just how utterly crushing would one meter cubed of nerimium be? Just how does a gynoid put together with hemosynth with a mass of 40kg compare in figure to a Nepleslian made of natural flesh and blood?

This leaves me to float the notion out there; would it be a good idea to encourage some sort of project be put underway to have a simple easy-to-reference chart of mass/weight/volume representations for our various in-setting substances?

I've always been under the impression that Zesu wasn't so much massive as it was heavy because of the weird manner it's made. So while it might be fairly heavy, it's overall mass/density might be much lower than might be expected. I like the idea of going through and actually clarifying this for literally every other material out there, since most of them aren't just handwaved silliness like Zesu.

It doesn't seem like it would be particularly difficult to come up with numerical values to describe a fictional material just for the sake of making it more elaborate, it does add more "weight" to the setting. Would absolutely be tricky for technology articles if you intended to reference those same values. So for the sake of consistency and also because of just how damn easy it would be for you to coincide on, yeah it should be done.

Of course I look at some of these articles and think, clearly they were written on an OOC level without the statistical exactness that may or may not be required in the setting regardless simply due to the nature of RP and science fiction.

The traits detailed more or less cover it game wise just not into the realm of the number data you want for your tech articles.

So basically the real question is do you want to flesh the setting out even more; doubt it would be taxing for our brilliant GM.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back