• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: Lorath [Matriarchy] Royal Management II

DocTomoe

Nyli III - Royal Palace - Royal's Work Study

As the sun streamed through the thick protective windows of the study, a small click resounded through the wood paneled room as the robed High Priest concluded making an entry in his official journal to be filed away in the database of the Matriarchy. As he finished the entry, he softly hummed to his self as he looked out the window, and into the sapphire blue sky outside which was dotted by the occasional cloud. He wished that the sky was a comforting sight like it once was... but as of late he felt troubled. Even with the feeling of foreboding, he did feel somewhat better than merely a few days before as he still indulged in the news of the Lorath Self Defense Force expedition disposing of the Occhestians. A soft sigh left his lips as he took a moment to close his eyes, and simply breathe.

"A sigh on your lips dear brother, is never a good thing..." Velor's sister said as she strode into his study, the door silently opening to allow her to enter. Harr'Ikke smirked a little as she made her way to her brother's side, dressed in a rather simple robe, her hair free falling out behind her. She wore no crown today, and oddly hadn't since her brush with her mortality, and instead chose to sport her scar rather openly which today seemed rather red. Coming to her brother's side, she sat on the side of his desk, crossing her hands across her lap as she let one leg dangle, and the tip of her other foot rest on the ground.

"Mmm... you know me too well my dearest." Velor spoke as he slightly opened his eyes to look at her, and a soft smile appeared upon his lips at the sight of the person who he cared for most... aside from his two children at least. "I am brooding. I know I should not, but I am." He stated as he reached out, and took his sister's hand in his own. "Too many things are happening around our people, and it is starting to trouble me more and more."

"We are a race that are adaptable, and quick to change our ways of life to suit what we need to do to survive dear brother... No matter what they throw at us, we can survive and overcome, and that is what is most important, for our race and our people to survive..." Harr'Ikke smiled, resting her hand over-top of her brother's and rubbing it softly to try and reassure him.

A soft chuckle left Velor's lips. "Funny, that was the exact thought on my mind... and how to do it in the best way possible. We keep relying on other nations to aid us in our adaptation and survival, and as of late we have not heard or seen much from the Colonies, or the Peacekeepers... it is troubling, and it tells me we should be ready to do something." Velor explained as he peered out the troubling window once again. "Run or fight... either one will take a lot out of our people again."

"Running more so then fighting... It seems we always run." Harr'Ikke was thinking of the Lorath history, always known to run it seemed when faced with large odds. First the Helashio, then the threats from space. It seemed as if those threats were going to come knocking again. "What about patrols we have close to their borders, have they tried to hail or reach them?"

"Our messages go in, but nothing comes back out... We don't know if they can not, or will not respond. I'm tempted to send a fleet into their space to investigate... but with our expeditionary fleet still some time away, I am uneasy about stretching our forces." Velor stated, as he spoke on the matter he tapped a few spots upon the desk, and a map came up... and it was quite apparent that their forces were mainly in a defensive role with the offensive fleet out and on the job. "I received a message from Heartbreak. Our Raptor-Class prototype is returning ahead of the rest of the fleet... we could send it to investigate alone, so we won't have to break the lines."

"Then do so, but bring the princess home. It will do the Fyunnen well to see their princess, and the rest of the houses well to see the hero of the retaking alive and well and home again." Harr'Ikke leaned back from her brother a bit and laid her hands on the desk to look at the map.

"We'll send the Princess' guardian to handle the investigation. She needs more field work, especially after that fiasco with the Sourcian and Yuriko's daughter, Tai." Velor frowned a bit. "Chambers seemed quite unhappy with her performance, and I think she would like to redeem herself in our eyes, and in the eyes of the Princess." As the High Priest thought on the princess and her guardian, he decided to speak on something which crossed his mind; "They do seem quite close, don't they? The Fyunnen princess and her guard, I mean."

"Oh they are together...You did not know this?" Harr'Ikke smirked, all but already agreeing with her brother about sending the princess out again...

"Mm..." An expression of thought came across Velor's features. "I would like to find out how that Gunslinger performs without the Princess present, I want to know if she is a capable officer on her own, or if I should attach another guard to Obelisk. With these trying times ahead, we need to protect the caste heads as much as we protect ourselves. If something happens, they're the only ones with pure enough blood to make another leadership bloodline." Velor explained, being quite the example of the depressing and brooding nature of Lorath males.

"She has proved herself quiet capable in the past. She was the princess' guardian after all. But what do you have in mind then, if not letting her stay with Obelisk?" Harr'Ikke asked her brother, tilting her head.

"Let the princess remain here on Nyli for a little while. Allow the guardian to take command of the Trishka for some time... allow her to improve her capacity to be creative in the face of opposition, and how to deal with new situations. Then, we can re-unite them and keep them together after Chambers grows a bit in her own right." Velor explained as he gave a soft smile to Harr'ikke. "Maybe, Chambers may prove to be effective enough to gain a promotion, a promotion high enough to make her a respectable rank to be the partner to the Princess."

"Mmmm I knew we women kept you men around for some reason..." Harr'Ikke smirked a little as she stood and strode around the room a little, looking at some of the books on his shelves. "When will they return?"

"Sometime later tonight. They'll be a short while to go through scan processing to ensure they have no Occhestian or Mishhu stow-aways which may have latched on in-transit. We can't be too careful." Velor explained as his gaze followed his sister through the room. "I received a report earlier today that one of our outposts in the E-7 system has sent out a distress signal... so it does prompt some concerns." Velor spoke as he continued to brood on another matter which lingered in his mind. "That brings me to another concern... to put it bluntly, I'm worried about you remaining so close to this hotbed of activity. I wish I could put you somewhere safe."

"Out of the question. No queen has ever been removed from our people while they were in danger. I will not be the first" Harr'Ikke shook her head, her tone all but killing any further thought from her brother, even without touching him. She took a book from his shelf, one of Lorath Lore, and began to flip through it.

"Alright then. What we need to do, is ensure that you are able to remain safe while at the forefront." Velor said as he slouched in his seat a bit. "We'll tighten security around this star system, and the star as well. We'll make sure that you, and our people remain safe." He said as he dismissed any idea of thinking about sending her away from the troubled area of the Yugumo Cluster.

"And yet no thought of yourself... I can handle myself brother, just as well as you can." Harr'Ikke snapped the book shut, turning to look at her brother now.

"When you are safe, I am safe." Velor said with a wide smile. "You make me everything that I am, I am quite sure without you that I would be lost." He said, explaining his worry for his beloved. "None the less... if we're not going to be preparing to move you, maybe we should have our people do some evacuation preparations, and some drills?"

Harr'Ikke nodded a little, liking the idea. "We need to set up shelters and safe havens for our people...And for safety start mapping out the subterranean sections of this world." Harr'Ikke sighed a little knowing what it could possibly mean for her people, but she would do anything to protect them.

"Mmm... we should prepare to either hide, or flee. Drills for both would be ideal. Let the New Tur'lista handle coordinating it with the Lmanel. I wish to have the Fyunnen focus on combat drills and civil defense procedures." Velor stated before he gave a soft shrug. "Better safe than sorry... what I really wish that we could do, is prepare to strike against our foes. I tire of being on the defense. This Occhestian affair was our only offensive victory since we came to know the stars... and it was not even against an alien foe, it was our own misguided kin."

Harr'Ikke nodded, her turn to sigh now as she looked to her brother. "No rest for the wicked hm? I will contact Rain and tell him what is going on. I have a surprise for the Princess in the morning though." Harr'Ikke's smile was genuine as she looked to her brother. "It will be something our people need in the coming weeks."

"Oh? I am curious, what do you have in mind?" Velor asked as he urged his sister over. to sit on the desk, or on his lap, either one he would find quite pleasing.

"Well, it is time our Princess moved past her current station..." Harr'Ikke walked over, plopping down on the desk beside her brother. "How fares her sister by the way?"

"Oh, I forgot about her to be honest." Velor said... and even laughed lightly. "She was a bit of a disappointment, and it was much easier to forget about her than to brood on the matter of her being such a poor example of Fyunnen breeding... well, that is the downfall of recessive genes, hm?"

"Mmm that it is. It has been a while since I visited her too." Harr'Ikke bit her nail, thinking on something for a few moments.

"Oh well!" Velor said, dismissing the thought of the failed Fyunnen princess which came before Obelisk. "We need to encourage our nobility to breed more, we're going to end up running out of caste heads at this rate." Velor said with a chuckle... even though he was quite serious. "Especially in regard to the New Tur'lista."

Harr'Ikke nodded a little. "We will start taking tests for the New Tur'Listans to see which have the purest blood, and start working with them..."

"Mmm... if worse comes to worse... we may have to engineer a replacement caste." A frown came over Velor's face. He knew how hard the work had been over the many years their people were trapped underground to form the three castes. "It is especially difficult, because most of the purest members of their gene-pool were turned into dust when the expeditionary force eliminated the Occhestian Separatists."

To Be Continued

Continuation...

"We will do what me must in order to maintain balance for our people." Harr'Ikke shook her head as she idly wondered what her mother would think of the decisions she was making...

"As has always been expected of us." Velor said as he nodded lightly, then rested his elbow upon the arm of his chair, and soon placed his chin in his palm. "Hm... so as it stands... we have to plan to defend our borders, prepare our people to flee if they must, investigate the problem with the United Outer Colonies, encourage our nobility to breed, investigate a possible new genetic strain, and keep our people's morale up during all of this? Mother and father would be so proud of the mess we're in." He said with heavy sarcasm.

"They would be proud of how we handle it. As all our ancestors have known, our people come first in our minds. Just as the Goddess has done before us, if we must, we will ensure our race's survival at all cost." Harr'Ikke looked to her brother now, her face somewhat resolute now as she watched him. "At all costs brother."

"At all costs." Velor echoed as he knew full well that it was the duty that he was born into. "It is just difficult to know which cost we must pay. To fight and bleed, to flee and scatter into the wind, or to surrender to the whims of our enemies if it comes to that. I do not know... but I know that it is not entirely our place to choose in the matter. Our people will have just as much of a hand in this as us, even though they are well disciplined... they still have the Goddess given freedom of choice."

"That they do, but if it comes to it, we must exercise our power, what we were given, and make the choice for them." She replied to her brother.

"Unfortunately, that power was diminished when we lost the Occhestians. They were to be our arm in the matter of the minds of our people... to regulate and guide the populace. We only maintain the Lmanel's guidance in matters of the heart, and the Fyunnen's guidance in matters of the body." Velor explained with words heavily laced in metaphor... metaphor which was plain as well stated facts to Lorath ears.

"We have the New Tur'Listans to aid us in this... And we are the balance remember this dear brother." She smirked a little.

"There were more of us though, before the events of the war against the Helashio, and the accidents and tragedies since... We should try to balance the numbers." Velor gave his sister a soft grin, saying a series of unspoken lustful words with that simple look. "That, is a long term solution though... but it is a solution none the less."

Harr'Ikke raised her eyebrow, looking at her brother somewhat bemused. She wasn't really in the mood, but she couldn't blame her brother. "Mmhmm..."

"Of course not now." Velor replied with a laugh, mostly noticing the eyebrow she gave him. "It is just that, if we are going to encourage the nobility of our people, we should lead by example."

"You want to give me another child?" Harr'Ikke smirked a little and shook her head somewhat.

Velor gave a nod, quite sure of his feelings on the matter. "Many more. We need to rebuild the line, and make our caste what it once was during the time of our elders." He explained, and he sounded very resolved on the commitment which he just proclaimed he was ready to make.

Harr'Ikke couldn't help but laugh a little.

"I know... it seems silly, but it ensures a future of our way of life." Velor spoke before moving onto the next topic that came to mind. "According to our calendar... the anniversary of our children's birth is coming up, have you put thought into what we shall do for the occasion?"

"Not a thought to it sadly. A small party would be best for them though, nothing extravagant..." Harr'Ikke said with a shrug.

"That sounds reasonable... so what is on your mind? This whole time I've been talking about what I've been thinking, but not about what you're thinking... that is rude of me." Velor said sitting upright in his seat at his own realization.

"Much the same as you dear brother, though our past recalls my mind at the same time." Harr'Ikke seemed to drift off for a moment, a small sigh of content leaving her as she recalled her more favorable childhood.

"Simpler times. We were both far more innocent and unconcerned then, for certain." Velor said with a soft nod, thinking back as well, and finding the memories far more appealing than the present in many regards. "We have to guarantee that our children can have such pleasing memories."

Harr'Ikke smiled, almost wistfully at her brother as she sighed. Looking at him, she took on a look her mother had taken on in her older years, one of knowing that seemed to be outside of her scope, yet so comfortable with it now...

Velor looked upon Harr'ikke's smile, and returned one of his own before he stood up and offered his arm to her. "How about we take a stroll, then try to place another call to the Prime Minister before we meet with the Princess and her Guardian for their arrival and give them their orders, hm? We could use the breather."

Harr'Ikke smiled again, though it returned to a much more playful one, a normal one for her as she stood and gave her brother her hand. "Very well dear brother, let us go take a stroll."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back