• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Matter Converter (AKA Replicator)

Concerto

Inactive Member
This is my guarantee that unless Wes Himself specifically asks that I will not attempt to "invent" replication/matter conversion technology in the SARP.

As fun as it might be it just screams Plothole Generator and that's the one thing we don't need.

Trust me. I know all about plotholes.

(By the way in case you're wondering yes the replicator does use packets of raw matter, combined with sophisticated sensors, hyperminiscule gravity beams, and a vast database of billions of objects, compounds and chemical structures all for the sake of making it so that starships don't have to carry huge-ass amounts of perishables, canned goods, and replacement parts.

Thanks a lot, TNG.)

Well, we do have the nodal system on some Star Army ships and on Yamatai - it tends to get abused though, by people who don't realize that telling the system to make something is going to summon a potentially hazardous cloud of nanobots (and it'll take resources from somewhere nearby).

Matter-energy, and especially energy-matter technology, is a major sticking point with me. I dislike it intensely.

It makes very little sense. In StarTreck with that technology it would make infinatley more sense to use the transporter to convert a stone into energy and then fire that energy against an energy hip - since the beam would have megatons worth of energy.

The technology doesn't actually work - there is only one example of it currently in use in SA, and that's the shields of a QIS ship which converts energy into hydrogen.

In general - it's a lot easier just to combine loose particles.

Wes said:
Well, we do have the nodal system on some Star Army ships and on Yamatai - it tends to get abused though, by people who don't realize that telling the system to make something is going to summon a potentially hazardous cloud of nanobots (and it'll take resources from somewhere nearby).

How is it hazardous, and if it is then shouldn't that be noted in ship's descriptions? Does this mean that asking the ship's computer to manifest herself is dangerous and shouldn't be done, despite the fact that the nodal system description makes it sound a-ok? The hazards of using the nodal system needs to be explained more so that people don't try to nodal-summon a control-panel and find their fingers missing afterwards.

Zak is half right, there is also a device aboard QnS ships which allows for energy to be converted into matter. In this case, the device is used as a weapon to turn a ship's shieds into matter and anti-matter, thus causing a ship's shields to turn into a bomb of sorts.

Ooooh boy was I happy to read about that thing when the Lorath got the QnS ships. ^^

RPG-D RPGfix
Back