• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Merge Communications Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of having communications forums for each factions, I propose to merge all of them into one IC communication forum, and use thread prefixes to allow users to filter them by type (e.g. Star Army Orders, Nepleslian civilian traffic, etc). We could even add new types of communications. It's not really sustainable to keep adding new subforums every time a new faction is added, especially when the existing ones are uses so little.

Also, I'd like to do with with the IC news forums, too.

Can't say that I am really a fan of this idea. I like having my faction specific communications where I can readily find them.

The news I wouldn't mind because they are technically broadcasted for others nations to view.

Specifically the news is what I'd like to see merged. Like, orders threads? Those can stay separate in their respective factions because honestly only two people at any given moment needs to see a single thread there, but news threads? They're a more interesting way of getting setting information out ICly than telling players the same thing OOCly or in the middle of a plot (Which oftentimes isn't what happens because GMs are doing their own thing on their own timecycle). Bring back the merged news and give 'em nice pretty broadcast tags.

I'm with Nash, not really a big fan of merging all communications under one forum. With the forums being seperate, it makes it easier for the FM's (and others whom make news articles) to find where to put them, the prefixes may or may not solve this and frankly - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

We have established factions at this point; them keeping their comm threads seems prudent. Future factions, and the smaller ones that see far too little use, can be merged into a single one.

Did everybody forget that they used to be all in one area? It was the "established" standard up until whenever we decided to break it into little pieces for whatever reason.

Reactions: Wes
Mog's suggestion doesn't sound like a bad one. Having only the IC news merged while keeping internal faction comms separate seems prudent.

News, but not stuff like general inter-character communications, or orders areas, stuff like that, seems fairly sensible. A general News area would be cool.

I think there should defiantly be some faction specific things in terms of communication. Like orders, or specifically in faction only broadcast or declarations that are specifically in faction only. But cross faction communication, or open independent communications, or wide broadcast news, or Nexus when it starts making communications post, all those kinds of things should be in a general communications section.

I like Mog's suggestion. Having aggregated news means FM's can put something up and it's visible to everyone, not just those who look in their sub-forums.

It also means I get to annoy other FM's with bogus propanda. >:3

Except that not all news from one person should be freely available to the characters of another, that's my main issue. For example, why would the Neshaten broadcast military related news casts to everyone else, same with civilian for that matter. If this does get done, I'll just put a disclaimer at the top of all of my posts, making it clear that the posted news would only be seen by Neshaten characters.

Because with the current suggestion, it makes it appear that every faction will be broadcasting to everyone else.

I think that's the counterpart that everyone is mentioning, Kyle. There should be a "Universal News" section, for lack of a better name, but there should also be news sections unique to each of the larger factions as well as just general restricted communications like military areas.

I think I have most of the heavy lifting done on the news merge. Check it out!

For the communications forums, here's what I suggest based on feedback:
  • Public communications should share one top-level international forum and be labeled and filterable by prefix (SYNC, Lazarus, etc)
  • Each major faction also keeps a subforum for private/organizational communications, like SAoY/SSS orders for Yamatai. These are differentiated and filterable by prefix.
Thoughts?

I'm still not a fan of prefixes. Even if I know how you go in the Yamatai forum, then scroll way down to the bottom to open the viewing options and then employ the dropdown list to get the YSS Miharu content, it's generally a pain in the butt compared to how it was just an item available amongst the archives' subforums.

I'm not thrilled at a prospect proven clunky being it repeated elsewhere.

I'm 100% with Fred on this. Like I said, I think outside of the actual overall "Galactic News" level stuff, every other communications forum should still be separate entirely. SYNC, Lazarus, and so on. It's ridiculous to just pile every piece of news in the same forum, filterable or not.

To be honest, either format of news layout would likely be ok with me. However, if we go with the new one, it'll need more work as they've pointed out. Because the prefix selection is currently at the bottom, it feels a bit cumbersome having to scroll to the bottom of the screen before going through the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn moreโ€ฆ