• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Character Michael "Dust" St.Vincent

andrewdust

Inactive Member
Name: Michael "Dust" St.Vincent

General Information

Species: Nepleslian

Family (or Creators): Father: Douglas St.Vincent, Owner of "Vincent Repairs"
Mother: Amelia St.Vincent, Wife and Employee of Douglas St.Vincent

Employer: Star Army of Nepleslian
Current Assignment: Awaiting Orders

Physical Characteristics

Height: 6'0
Weight: 200
Measurements: -
Bra Size: -

Build and Skin Color: Michael is of average build, though his recent basic training has left him with more pronounced muscles.
Facial Features and Eye Color: He has a narrow face with a strong jaw, usually covered by several days stubble. His eyes are blue.
Hair color and Style: A mop of dark brown that, though clean, is usually untidy, often form having been under a helmet for several hours.

Distinguishing Features:
His most distinguishing feature are his legs, which are completely mechanical. They are not hidden beneath synthetic flesh, and are in fact too bulky to be as they are of an older design. Their inner workings and pistons are not hard to see through the minimal plating on them, and they make audible piston noises when he walks.

Psychological Characteristics

Personality:
Michael St.Vincent's personality is rather caustic, and his flippant remarks and sarcastic humour is sometimes seen by other people as cruel, though he usually intends them in good humour. He doesn't really consider someone worth knowing unless they can give back as much as they can take. His major failing is that he is hot-headed, occasionally throwing caution to the wind, especially if either injured or angered. This can lead him to pick fights when the odds are definitely in his not in his favour. Once, in a training exercise, he tried to take down a Power Armour that had taken a pot-shot at his supply truck by running into it. Due to his own rather crude cybernetic enhancements, he is fascinated with Yamatai re-growth technologies.

Likes: Vehicles, drinking and carousing, flying airbikes, winning an unfair fight, Yamatai biotechnology
Dislikes: Self important authority figures, being left out of the loop, being thought too cruel or callous, pretentious art
Goals: Excitement and the betterment of his own life

History

Michael St.Vincent grew up in slums of Nepleslia, where he spent most of his time at his father’s repair shop, which serviced the vehicles of several of the regions gangs. Though he was born without legs, his mother, a skilled technician, was able to craft him a pair of cybernetic legs. These were very crude, and not up to much more then walking or pushing a gas petal.

During his childhood and teenage years, he would help out in the repair shop. However, his heart was not in the work. He would often hurry his repairs, and slapdash jobs would sometimes fail, and a few failed quite spectacularly. The only thing he put time into repairing was a salvaged airbike, because airbikes had always fascinated him, and he wanted to learn how to fly one.

On his fifteenth birthday, his parents surprised him with a pair of old, military grade cybernetic legs that, while obsolete, would be almost as good as biological ones. Over the next few years, he learned to fly the airbike, and would often make money running deliveries, an exciting occupation in the lawless slums of Nepleslia.

One fateful day, another airbike tried to steal the package Michael was carrying. The burst of adrenaline that Michael felt when he managed trick his opponent into crashing was like nothing he had ever felt before. He left the repair shop behind him, and enlisted in the Star Army of Nepleslia to seek adventure and excitement in space.

Skills:

Communication: Michael St.Vincent is familiar with basic radio operation and procedures and can make transmissions to and receive transmissions from other characters through headsets, ships, ground vehicles, power armor, and shuttles in both combat and non-combat conditions. He is fluent in Nepleslian. He can speak and write it correctly and efficiently and can write reports, fill forms, issue orders under fire, etc. He is skilled in field communications and is proficient in all rudimentary forms of communication (hand signals, flashing lights, etc).

Fighting and Physical: Michael received intensive hand-to-hand combat training (primarily focused on disabling and/or killing opponents) and has followed up that knowledge with a rigorous training program. Weapons he is trained in include pistols of all types, knives, grenades (and other forms of explosive weaponry) and rifles of all kinds. Michael can repair weaponry with adequate tools and time. He is in excellent physical shape and has considerable endurance. Michael is also able to pilot land-based power armors, but must rely on the suit’s A.I. to do anything advanced. He prefers speedy power armours as opposed to more physical ones.

Survival: Michael knows how to survive in hostile environments. He can build shelters, hunt and forage for food, build a fire, etc. He can camouflage himself and is familiar with guerrilla warfare tactics.

Strategy (Tactics/discipline): Michael can understand and give out tactical commands and work with his troop to follow those commands efficiently. He knows the importance of teamwork on the battlefield, has been intensively trained in discipline and morale, and is able to recognize the command structure even while under extreme pressure (combat, etc). Michael is able to recognize ambush points. He knows basic math in order to calculate distances, etc, and can use a tactical map.

Vehicles (ground vehicles): Michael is familiar with how to effectively pilot most ground vehicles. He can make rudimentary repairs to his vehicle. In addition, he is very skilled at piloting airbikes. While inside this vehicle, he can perform difficult manoeuvres under high stress (combat, etc). Michael is also proficient in repairing this type of vehicle (if given the proper tools and time).

Maintenace and Repair (Jurryrig): Although he has has no formal mechnaic training, he can usually jurryrig machines so they work. For a little while. Until they explode. While useful, this can sometimes end up causing more damage to the machine in the long run, and real technicians disaprove of his slapdash methods.

Medical and Science (Cybernetics): Michael maintains an interest in cybernetic enhancements. Although he may not understand the basic science behind them, he knows how they work in general, and can, by virtue of having to repair his own legs on some occasions, make rudimentary repairs to them.

1. Yamatai doesn't do much in the way of cybernetics. They're more fans of just regrowing bodies with hemosynth.

2. "Yamataian" would be the proper term when talking about the Yamataian populace, as opposed to "The Yamatai".

3. Please replace all the "Your character" and "The character" things in the skills section with "Micheal"/"he"/whatever you want.

4. Vehicles skills can probably be collapsed into one, but Doshii will have to clarify on that. Couple spelling errors in there, too. Fix, plox?

5. The STV is a Yamataian thing, not Nepleslian.

6. Once again, Yamatai's not so big on cybernetics in skill 7.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I'll do the changes now.

Is there a Nepleslian equivalent for the STV? I'll change it to Nepleslian Truck for now.

Character is re-edited. If I can collpase the skills into one, I'll choose a social skill, such as an instrument.

Its just that Nepleslia does not have a lot of groind vehicles writen up for combat sitautions, so I'm having trouble choosing my specialized land vehicle.

I€ figure the trucksa could be used in combat situations. As good as power armour is, they probably lack the storqage space that a truck does.

Any thought from anyone?

We don't have a lot because we don't really use them very often. Power Armors function as our military, and pretty much take up roles as everything from infantry to bombers to tanks.

As for trucks in combat? I doubt it. Due to the highly mobile nature of Power armor (they generally hit around mach 2 flying speed or so, sometimes twice that), a truck wouldn't have much use if they needed to hop off, and would mostly just look like a sitting duck in combat.

As for storage space, I don't think they really need it. If they need a resupply, we have ships to drop it, a la the weapons containers in the Halo games. Plus, a truck isn't really armed.

Ok, cool, that makes sense.

In that case, can I change my favoured vehicles to airbike, and use the skill slot for something else?

Ok, skills have been switched up. Favoured vehicle airbike, it's listed under ground vehicles anyway in the vehicle list.

And I added a sort of repair skill. I'm making it this way because I don't really want him to have to many specialities.

Its ok if he thinks he has them though...

"It's ok... safety systems just make the turning go mushy."

No thoughts from anybody?

I normaly wouldnlt say anything, but I last posted three days ago, I've addressed all the concerns that have been nroguth to my attention, and I've heard nothing, while watching others sail through the approval process in hours.

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry, I overlooked this one this morning. Give me a couple of hours- you'll get an answer soon.

I realize that Silverthorne. But every other person wo was here when I posted has been approved, and a couple that posted after me, while I myself have gotten barely any feedback.

That's why I was asking what I was doing wrong.

It's not problem Kim. Its that just that I've been here awhile, and I want to start RPing.

Michael St. Vincent grins eagerly.

All righty.

I have a couple questions, how did he balance on the airbikes or operate a car without legs or cybernetics? Was he using more crude legs than he is right now? I'm surprised if his paretns ran a repair shop that they couldn't come up with something for him- how come he didn't take over the family business?

I'd also suspect that getting used to using limbs you never had would take a great deal of time and patience- which isn't knocking the fact you're taking this approach, it's simply different. How'd he cope with the change?

At first I was thinking that he couldn't be one of our PA pilots than I thought of all the Nepleslians that have cybernetic limbs and rethought it. I kinda see Michael as a Technician more so than general infantry for some reason.

The skills are fairly standard stuff- so you're good on that end.

Now this was posted on Monday, sometimes we take a couple days to sort through the list depending on who's already gone through and given a review- sometimes people catch someone's eye for whatever reason and it gets sparked for approval as soon as it hits. We have also had bios sit up here for a week without a final approval.

Sometimes we'll sit down and digest the bio for a little while before commenting. *shrugs* It also depends on our day's workload.

But officially, this character is in progress. I have a couple of questions but once they are addressed there will be further consideration for approval. Also please post your contact info in the contact thread if you have not done so already. It can be found here.

Swanky.

Also, it's awesome that the adwhoring I did this week on Starslip paid off. =)

This character is approved for IC-usage. Please add your character to the wiki and request orders in the Nepleslian Communications thread. Since the crew of the NSS Nerkat are currently on shore leave, you are more than welcome to join up with them there in the bar in either Los Apagos or with the folks kicking around Starbase Hayes.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back