• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Character Michiko of Astal Vanguard

I've let Luca know to come check out your character! Welcome to Star Army!

Edit: He says he's right in the middle of school stuff right now (see his thread in Life Events forum for info) so he probably won't be able to evaluate the character page for the Akahar until November 23rd.

Maybe you could start her out in the Open RP forum. Character bio approval isn't required to RP there and it's a good place to 'test drive' a new character.

If you're looking for a military plot, you can join 4th Fleet. As long as you're not a Neko, we don't mind admitting you. Kokuten used to run an Iroma character on Altomir.

OK, I made some slight adjustments to the history and the bio stats of the character in order to make them more in line with the standards of the species. Keeping my naming though. Michiko, while not a traditional name for the Iroma would still be a valid name considering that I've made them part of the Cohronl ethnic group, so they've grown up in space and have been introduced to various other races in their travels. Contamination of the naming conventions is bound to happen when you've been out in space for so long, isolated from the rest of the culture.

Thank you for drawing me back to those resources. I'm not sure how I missed the language thing, I was looking for it. Thats how I came up up with Makouri.

Sigma, I'd appreciate that! I don't know what you have in mind for intigrating me into the story line, but I ended the history portion of the background with her floating about in space with a dead frame runner. Perhaps a member of the 4th fleet could pick her up?

The Iroma have met up with the rest of the setting within the last 5 years. It's infeasible for a Cohronl to have a Yamataian name when their first contacts with other species weren't even with Yamatai. You also need to clarify that her age is listed in Yamataian/Nepleslian years, not Iromakuanhe years, because right now, it appears she would be closer to 30 in Yamatai (add a third of the listed age to get the rough age in Yamatai/Nepleslia).

In the physical description, you should remove the line "fairly conservative for an Iroma female". Many Iroma don't modify their bodies unless needed for a job or for health reasons, and plenty get by with none or almost no modifications at all. I'd also like to see something in the distinguishing features section. Doesn't have to be unique to the character, but what about them would make you able to pick her out of a crowd? Even being completely normal in every way is distinguishing in a culture where you CAN modify yourself.

The personality could use some work, to be perfectly honest. The first two sentences both need to be removed, they're history, not personality. The personality describes who Michiko is, the history gives the why, try to keep the two separate when at all possible. This section doesn't care about the why she is serious, just that she's serious, and in what ways. Does serious mean she's very no-nonsense, slap people upside the head for not doing something right, or is she just very focused and careful with her own actions? Naïve in what way? Iroma in the military still live pretty full lives, especially since many of the major cultures put so much focus on children.

I would definitely like to see more in the history though, especially for an Iroma who is apparently separated from her unit in the Vanguard. Speaking as someone who took part in the last plot, I don't particularly see the Vanguard leaving someone out there in a dead suit, since they would probably recover the suit even if the pilot was dead, to save the materials. And for the entire family to be dead, but there to be no mention of what killed them, or why that would have absolutely no affect on Michiko confuses me. Iroma live REMARKABLY long lives compared to a normal human, assuming nothing out of the ordinary kills them, so for every single person in her family to be dead before she's a quarter of the way through her life is definitely something that should be noted in the bio.

Looking at the skills, you need more detail on several of them. If you want to link to a standardized skillset, you can, but if you're actually writing them out, go into a bit more detail. She speaks Common and Makuori, but can she write in Common, a language that would only barely be penetrating into the lives of most Iroma now? Is she truly fluent in both languages, or does she only know enough Common to get by? Has she learned the technical terminology for other nations yet, or is her experience with strictly conversational parts? Technology Operations brings up the same questions. Where did she learn to use someone elses technology when it wouldn't have been used in the Vanguard, and she's just now being picked up? And what do you mean by common technologies? Technology operations normally ties into computerized systems, which, as a technician irl, I can tell you that it's generally required to spend months learning systems or taking classes to learn a different system.

Just in general, expand on the skills to clarify what you mean, and try to use less vague language. If you're going to write them out, rather than link, we actually need to know what she's capable of. Remember, your initial seven aren't the only skills you'll ever get, things like leadership are usually better left until you've shown in the RP that the character is a capable leader.

These two are just little nitpicks, but if you don't mind, please list both the Metric and American measurements for weight/height. The grand majority of our players are from the US, and a large portion of people don't remember the conversions off of the top of their heads, it's easiest just to include both. And if you would, put a little bit more in the likes/dislikes section. Think about real life, and put it to work. Are there foods that she absolutely adores or hates? Smells? Doesn't need to be comprehensive, but it's a fun tool for GMs and players to work with if you detail it a bit more.

Last bit, she'll still have a few things with her, even in her VANDR if she gets picked up by the Neps. Not everything, but at least her suit and some tools that would've been with her. Maybe a knife or sidearm.

The money should also be listed as 6000DA (Nep currency) or 12000KD (Iroma currency), not KS.

You've definitely got the baseline character here, but there is definitely work that needs to go into it. Making an Iroma is different from making most characters, because they ARE different and separate from the majority of the setting, but they're also really fun to play. It's worth the time to really make a good, in depth character.

Aendri, I really appreciate the input. As I am completely new to this system I wanted to be vague. As I learn what I am able to have her be capable of, I plan to sort things out better. I am in the US, and the only reason I put things in metric was because I thought I read it somewhere that it should be in metric. (its a better system anyways, in my opinion) I listed no possessions because it says to wait until you are in a plot to figure out what you will have. So that was going to be part of my conversation with whom ever is running the 4th aasp fleet to see what I would actually have. Same thing with currency, I just started with what it says I should start with.

Trust me, as I get a better grip on things I will be making the profile more flushed out. I am only limited by my lack of knowledge on the subject matter.

I'm confused now. What RP is she headed towards, the 4th or an Iromakuanhe one?

As there is no current active iroma I am going for on what ever is available. The 4th aasp seems to be the first avalable plot.

Hrm... I was thinking about it, and while there's no particular problem with her joining the SMoDIoN, I don't think it would work to have her remain in the Astral Vanguard, since the DIoN and the Iroma know and communicate with each other. They'd happily pass her off to the Iroma to go back to the Vanguard if that's what she wanted, so from an IC perspective, that part doesn't really make sense. If she wants to join the DIoN, she'd probably have to purposefully leave the Vanguard to do so, unless Sigma wants a foreign attachment.

That makes sense. Also, if she didn't officially leave the Vanguard, wouldn't she be AWOL? In many military forces, the punishment for desertion is death.

The Iroma don't execute for desertion. We have other means of punishment. -Wrings hands together for a moment.- But she can leave the Vanguard to join the DIoN. Just can't take a VANDR with her. Classified technologies and all, there are however numerous resources on the wiki in regard to standard tech floating around all over the universe she can employ however.

Well based on the expanded on history that i am proposing, Michiko would be thought dead, her VANDR destroyed or stollen by pirates, so to the AV, she and the broken machone are just another dead/missing dee space explorer. That's how i viewed it anyways.

Well then. What you said makes a good point, about the AV aand the 4th. Well, I tthink I'll start open tthreading and see where the world takes me in the mean time.

Thanks eveyone on your input, I do appreciate it!

I am too tired tonight to review the character but, hopefully I'm not called in to substitute teach tomorrow. In the mean time, I'd like Michiko (the player) to send me a PM with various player/character goals or plans so I know what exactly s/he's looking for.

The nitty-gritty can be worked out. I might have to consult Kokuten on how he worked Saveli into the Marines for Altomir. Regardless, give me a day and we should have it all ready to go for the weekend. Thanks

@Michiko Nice first post! I see there's some possible confusion on the year. It's YE 35 in the "present." YE 32 corresponds to 2010, YE 35 is 2013, and next year, in 2014, it will be YE 36 in the RP. Is the RP thread you started supposed to be in the past or in the present day? Either is okay. I hope that clears things up. Also, who, if anyone, do you want to respond to your RP thread? Or is it just for background character development purposes? Thank you for your patience.

Tip: If you want to tag someone for RP with a mention, you can do like mentions on Twitter, by using @Username - they'll get an alert.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back