• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Military Proposal One: D-Fleets and Provisional Fleet 1

SUBLIMEinal

Hello, Senators.

As Commanding Officer of the 2nd Assault Fleet, I would like to propose the following:

1. The formation of Five defensive fleets to be stationed permanently in Nepleslian space.

Ever since the old defense fleet was decommissioned, it has fallen to the Assault Fleets to secure Nepleslian holdings. As, at this time, there are only three fleets, properly patrolling all of our worlds is extremely difficult, and would leave the Navy in an extremely perilous position in the event of war, where we would be forced to decide between offensive action or defense of our planets.

My proposed territorial breakdown of the Defense Fleets is as follows:

• First Defense Fleet: Core Worlds (Nepleslia, Rok'Veru, Delsauria, New Kohana, Kennewes) and Vordichibea.
  • Second Defense Fleet: Southern Colonial Expanse (Nepleslia Prime, Pryedein, Hope, P1-2, Prisilla)
  • Third Defense Fleet: Northern Colonial Expanse (P1-5~10)
  • Fourth Defense Fleet: The Sub-Core (Darso, Hyulughflar, Koenic, Mwigflukbajik, Sfpurflik, Urghlaflu, Ushobrakflug, Valaad, Xyainbor)
  • Fifth Defense Fleet: Southern Nepleslia (Higaflan, Fhasho, Hukka, Splurg)

2. Provisional Fleet formation and deployment to UOC

I suggest that the 3rd Fleet is either withdrawn from the UOC or at least supported by a Provisional Fleet formed specifically for the defense of the United Outer Colonies. Our Assault Fleets should be constantly prepared for offensive action against the enemy. At the moment, the forces in the UOC are on more of a baby-sitting duty than a combat one. As such, I propose the formation of a fleet to only be deployed to the UOC until our presence is no longer needed and to then be disbanded and reintegrated with the permanent numbered fleets.

Thank you for reading and your consideration.

Grand Admiral Vladimirus Corcyra
Commanding Officer
SMoDIN 2nd Assault Fleet

Edward Vanderhuge flipped idly through the specifications of the proposal, a massive hand on his chin in skeptical thought. "You say things like "war" and "enemy" in this proposal, Grand Admiral. What exactly are you proposing we gear ourselves for? Do you have some sort of suspicion that we might be attacked in the near future?"

"Mr. Vanderhuge, there has scarcely been a time in the past thirty years where warfare has not been prominent within this sector," Corcyra replied.

"Even now we are still engaging the Red Faction remnants in the Kennewes system. With the ever-changing face of international relations, peace can never be totally assured. And as a leading member of our military body, it is my job to ensure that in the event, however unlikely, of a war, that Nepleslia will be prepared to defend itself, and in the end, triumph. Si vis pacem, para bellum, if you will."

"Prominent in their sector, Admiral. We have fought no galactic wars for quite some time. Our neighbors, on the other hand, can't seem to get along. That's their problem," Edward commented.

"As for our "engagement" with the Red faction...the small mop-up operations happening on that system are hardly call for commissioning the construction thousands of warships. The Reds are finished with strong, organized assaults, Admiral. I would figure this would be apparent by now, and if it is not, then our problem isn't the size of our fleets," the senator remarked.

"The simple fact is that if we start building up new fleets, Admiral, we encourage our neighbors to do the same thing. By construction more military, we are effectively broadcasting to every ear in this universe that we are either about to start a war, or preparing to begin a war. And unless I am mistaken, we are doing neither. By doing this, we are essentially starting the very war you hope to defend us against."

Patrino Roachmere sat hunched over his part of the table, his hands folded, looking the proposal up and down. His gaunt eyes blankly searched the document and then, when finished searching, found their way to Corcyra. Those empty eyes watched Corcyra's expressions as Senator Vanderhuge discussed the matters with the Grand Admiral.

The Senator coughed lightly into a fist and then took a sip of his water.

"Senator Vanderhuge... is correct... to build our own walls... is to give cause to our enemies to build higher... However... I hold true... that we require adequate defence... However, oncemore... not of such magnitude..." said the sickly Senator, breathing between each pause.

"I've never been a fan of military expansion, but on the other hand, I don't think that leaving ourselves in a precarious defensive situation would be any better." Haytham said quite flatly, gesturing to the new Nepleslian systems of the Colonial Expanse and those that were previously controlled by the Mishhu on an overhead map projection.

"These systems are currently relying on our Assault Fleets for protection and assistance in colonization, which is thinning out our military resources. I suggest we follow the Grand Admiral's recommendation on the building of new fleets..." Haytham explained, calmly deconstructing his rationale to the other senators. "...however, I would, like Senator Roachmere, suggest moderation in these efforts."

"Perhaps the imposition of a quota on defense fleet ships, or a restriction on the use of certain ship classes that could cause great collateral damage on our holdings during defense operations are in order. Having too much could be worse than not having enough."

Corcyra thought for a moment before responding. "Mr. Vanderhuge, you must realize that according to our intelligence estimates, we have the smallest combined naval body out of our major neighbors. I believe even the UOC, in its infancy, is already rapidly approaching our current size."

"I do not believe that constructing vessels to be permanently stationed within our space is an act of war, especially when other nations have so many more. We have shown to others in the sector that we have no intention for war with them time and time again. However, they have done little to show the same intentions towards us. I would prefer they think us as having at least some sort of defense as opposed to being a small, easy target."

Corcyra listened to the other Senators speak their pieces before saying anything further. After hearing their suggestions, he looked down at his own proposal momentarily. "Perhaps folding the Colonial Expanse into one fleet's jurisdiction, and imposing a cap of 400, as opposed to the 600 for Assault Fleets?"

Regnier listened silently to the first part of the discussion. "I agree with the notion of moderation, but ultimately, I do believe we need a better guard over our worlds and colonies. Let's face it, the fleets we have right now can only do so much. In worlds such as here, we have to make our own defenses since the fleet can't always get here fast enough in the event of an attack. To say nothing of several locations being hit."

"It may sound a bit presumtuous, but as long as we refrain from making anything that is too heavy on offensive weaponry or ship classes, and restricting their size, it should be alright." Drake ran a clawed hand through his hair boredly.

Robert Davis considered everyone's words before speaking.

"Our total military strength is still lacking in comparison to our neighbors. To help support our rapid colonial expansion, some military expansion is required. I do not believe, with our current fleet arrangements, that we can provide an adequate degree of flexibility in our defenses.

Plan A is a marvelous defense system, but we experienced firsthand the consequences of not having it supported at Nepleslia Prime. With defense fleets present at each sector of our Imperium, we guarantee a degree of security that we once did not have.

I commend the current Empress of Yamatai for her efforts in changing her empire's image, but the past does not speak kindly for the future. Nothing has prevented Yamatai from building her fleets or utilizing them against something deemed a threat, no matter how insignificant, as we have seen with the Freespacers. Therefore, if our neighbors interpret our acts of self-defense as aggression, it speaks only of Yamatai's intentions to strike against us in the first place.

I dare say, if they were to point a finger at us, I would recommend they take a long, hard look in the mirror, or rather, bring up some historical files to refresh their memories. Nepleslia is, and continues to be, a peaceful and stabilizing international power...

...which is also why I oppose the removal of our ships from UOC space, unless they were to be replaced by an equivalent force from one of these defensive fleets.

There is always the option of creating an diplomatic fleet to serve this purpose, but that would just be a fancy way of disguising using our ships in another nation's territories."

He took a brief pause.

"But, back to the point at hand, I agree with Grand Admiral Corcyra's proposition. The exact number of ships... I would like to listen to more before I state an opinion."

Corcyra nodded respectfully to the Premier. "It seems my proposal was somewhat unclear, sir. I do not wish to withdraw our forces from the United Outer Colonies entirely, simply to either replace or supplement the existing forces there with a fleet made solely to be based in the UOC. It would not be a quote 'diplomatic fleet', simply a new, temporary fleet."

"As for ship numbers, under the written proposal with a three hundred-ship cap on all fleets, the proposed coverage would requisition the construction of 1500 warships. Under my spoken proposal of merging the jurisdiction of the Colonial Expanse into one Defense Fleet, the number would only be 1200, however I personally do not believe that the Colonial Expanse, in all its vastness, can be well served by only 300 ships."

Michael pondered this as the other senators debated amongst themselves. Prepare a bath for me upon my return. I'm already getting a headache... he sent as a telepathic message to his aide, whom quietly made her way to the senator's quarters as requested. After a moment more of silence, the blonde-haired man voiced his opinion:

"My fellow senators and grand admiral, this proposal is.. interesting. I've always had the belief that 'the best offense is a good defense'. In our current state, we need defensive forces more then offensive. I am unsure, however, at this time about replacing the Third Fleet with this 'provisional' fleet.

I now question the grand admiral... What will the Assault Fleets be doing when their defensive obligations are no longer necessary? Will they patrol Nepleslian space, searching for something to devour? Leaving them idle would arouse suspicion towards us that we may be devising a plan to attack our neighbors. That is all that I have to say for now."

"And where are you going to get the resources for this fleet, Admiral? I certainly hope you don't suggest we stretch our budget any thinner than it already is. While it is true that we have numerous resource operations in our Colony systems, remember that nearly all of their acquisitions are being used to develop their civilian infrastructure. Even Delsauria would not benefit from this, even though most of your war vessels would be constructed on our very soil; despite our supposed wealth some of you believe we have, poverty is still a very prominent issue in our society, and I look to preserve our worlds from the known threats, and not some imaginary galactic foe, supposedly hiding just beyond our borders," Edward spoke plainly.

Senator Vanderhuge stopped and breathed a sigh. "However, I am not opposed to strengthening our defenses around our civilian worlds. We must go to whatever lengths we can to preserve our culture...thus, I have a solution that does not rip into our delicate economy, and provides our nation with generously adequate defensive measures; begin construction of new new defense fleet ships, but disperse the assault fleets into the newly-formed defense fleets. Grand Admiral Corcyra has been especially adamant in filling his fleet rosters to the brim; perhaps this sacrifice on both the military and the civilian populations would be more beneficial to Nepleslia as a whole. It would certainly put our Assault Fleets to better use than to have them sit docked, twiddling their digits and sucking resources away in upkeep costs."

"With roughly 600 vessels in each Assault Fleet, and three Assault Fleets, that brings our total to around 1,800 ships. In order to provide protection to the five sectors the Admiral had suggested, I would say 500 vessels per area would suffice, therefore warranting the construction of 800 or so ships, which may leave us with a few extra to disperse as we see fit. Even I can agree to these reasonable numbers."

Haytham nodded to Senator Vanderhuge, while clamping his hands onto one another, interlocking his fingers and moving to rest his chin on the crease formed by the knuckles of both hands. It seemed that this was a good enough idea, and suited the needs of Nepleslia as a nation that might some day need to defend itself, without putting too high of a drain on the resources of the Imperium.

"I suggest we make our decisions now, to vote for either the proposals made by the Grand Admiral, or those of Senator Vanderhuge."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back