• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission [Mining Guild] Settlement

Charaa

Staff Member
🎨 Media Gallery
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=corp:mining_guild:location:settlement
Submission Faction(s)
  1. Outlaws (Independent)
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
Alright, here's another page i want to get through. Its a settlement page, for my mining Guild to set up and use as a home while they work, and save time on travel. This was because i felt depending on how long it is, the travelers would be exhausted. Also as Owner of the Mining Guild I approve, and the reason i put it in Independents is because this is primarily for the Mining Guild.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I will look at this, in meantime - FM needed @Jack Pine
Reviewer Assigned.

While we wait for an NDC FM,

From a technical standpoint, I don't see anything glaringly wrong with the article. However, something I want to point out is that the article is very dry from a cultural aspect. These settlements are to place people live. What makes them unique? What makes these settlements good places to live and work? Is there a pub or an iconic place to shop? It would be nice to see some of the NDC culture represented in these places, something that sets them apart. These considerations aren't something that's going to interfere with my approval, but it's something I think should be considered when it comes to submissions like these and their enrichment of the setting. These places have all of the systems and basic living needs in consideration - but what makes them special?

As an NDC FM I'm wondering how large these typically are? It says that there's room to land hundreds of fairly large cargo ships, but most of the details are worded as if this was a single very large building. Are these just building complexes, or towns in their own right?

My original plan was that the Miners work in the nearby Mines, which are supposed to be far from the main settlements like Obsidian City [Sanctum System], and Arcadia {Nephis System]. It hadn’t occurred to me, that after a hard day's work, even with the technology they have at their disposal, that there’d be people who’d want to go to a Pub and drink.

I can’t see why they can’t go to the Mess hall to drink an alcoholic beverage or any kind of drink if they want to do that before their rest. As for Shopping, I am a little concerned over the space, which brings me to once more going to the Yugumo Corporation and getting the consols from there. They can be used for shopping, couldn’t they?

And Alex, this is the layout.

1. Outer Ring: Defenses(([[faction:ndc:|NDC]] Military are placed here to defend)) , Maintenance Conduits
2. Secondary Outer Ring: Defense(([[faction:ndc:|NDC]] Military are placed here to defend)), Landing Pads, Transport Centers, Maintenance Conduits
3. Inner Ring: Storage Areas, Power Armor Bays, Maintenance Conduits
4. Mid Ring: Quarters, Recreation, Medical Center, Maintenance Conduits
5. Central Ring: Main Office, Computer, and Medical Center.

While being inside a Mountain may end up making them seem like they were in a building since everything is connected, but for settlements on the outside, they aren’t in a building. They are each separate, though The conduits are connected.
The settlements themselves are small, while the landing pads are larger and they are levitated so they aren’t on the ground.

They can be used for shopping, as I said...My point wasn't really to make you change anything per se, more just trying to get you to think a bit outside of the black and grey box to try and add some flavor to these locations.. Anyway will wait on FM before I post the official review.

And Alex, this is the layout.

1. Outer Ring: Defenses(([[faction:ndc:|NDC]] Military are placed here to defend)) , Maintenance Conduits
2. Secondary Outer Ring: Defense(([[faction:ndc:|NDC]] Military are placed here to defend)), Landing Pads, Transport Centers, Maintenance Conduits
3. Inner Ring: Storage Areas, Power Armor Bays, Maintenance Conduits
4. Mid Ring: Quarters, Recreation, Medical Center, Maintenance Conduits
5. Central Ring: Main Office, Computer, and Medical Center.
I understand the layout, but what I was wondering was how large the settlements actually are. It says there's a landing field with room for up to 500 300 long cargo ships, and you'd need a very big landing field for that, at least 10 or so square miles (or around 26 square kilometers)

The Settlement itself, probably barely even a town but close. as for Landing Pads, 10 or so square miles (or around 26 square kilometers) is fine with me, they have to get the ore and things to the Mobile Refineries some how.

Any progress on this gents?

I added the Kiosk console to the page, and i also added that to Station Omacron too, but other than that there really hasnt been a change too much.

Before I FM approve, I have a couple of things I would like clarified. I feel it would be useful to explain in the wiki article itself how big these are, to include this information somehow.
The Settlement itself, probably barely even a town but close. as for Landing Pads, 10 or so square miles (or around 26 square kilometers) is fine with me, they have to get the ore and things to the Mobile Refineries some how.
The other thing I'd like to see is a bit of clarification within the article and within this thread for a few questions and concerns.

Questions:

Right now it reads like each thing in this section is describing a type of room within a single really big building, is that the case? Or are there multiple buildings?
What is being kept in the power armor bays? Is it Ant power armors?

Concerns:
I wish you had talked to the other FMs and me a bit more actively during the writing process for this article, especially in regards to how you say in the article that the NDC military is devoting troops and assets to defend the interests of a private company. I think that (if defense were actually necessary for every settlement) you might be better off using some kind of automated turrets.

If you can address this concern about defense in the article, include the information you've given me on the size of the settlement (maybe include some dimensions somewhere?), explain whether this is one big building or a bunch of normal-sized buildings, and say what's in the power armor bays, I'll be ready to give my FM stamp.

We do have the ACE/AMP humanoid drones she could use as automated security instead. That would solve the defenses thing on a personnel stand point, bolstered by perimeter turrets.

I'm ok with those being used under two conditions; ACEs are used, as they're the civilian variant, and that the Mining Guild buys them. The NDC doesn't have enough equipment to really afford to give it away.

What is being kept in the power armor bays? Is it Ant power armors?
Yes, it is shown there under the link for Power Armor

Right now it reads like each thing in this section is describing a type of room within a single really big building, is that the case? Or are there multiple buildings?
I did mention before that there were all separate buildings, though I got to thinking and I remembered I had intended for the layouts to depend on location, so in a world with a breathable atmosphere hey’d usually be outside

Concerns

This is incorrect, in private dms I have spoken to both Whisper and Jack. And previously I believe you made an issue about the defenses before when there were weapons which the Mining Guild had to operate,I asked both Whisper and jack if the military would be a part of the defenses, and Jack had said yes.

The Mining Guild does use remote controlled Aces for certain species, and Overseers, so I don’t see why they can’t use them for defense.

Edits have been made.

Having just talked to the other FMs, everything looks good, however the only thing we'd like is for it to use TLACs rather than Cerberus tanj cannons.

Once that's done, FM approved.

Alright I will go through it again, and will post a checklist in the near future.

Hello! Let's see if this submission meets the requirements for inclusion in Star Army's lore...

[ ✅ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✅ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✅ ] 3. The article follows our wiki-style guidelines, including No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✅ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✅ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate and are not broken
[ ✅ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ✅ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and credited in the OOC section
[ ✅ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ✅ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✅ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Here are some fixes this article still needs:

This is approved.

Suggestion -
You should consider using an art breeder to make some landscape art breeds for these submissions!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back