• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Missing Art

Well, here are my arts. As some of you know, I'm normally a pencil artist, but lately I've been trying to do more on Photoshop mainly so I can do color too. But it's been hit-and-miss for me.

Anyway, I need some opinionated help with my attempts at drawing Nelew, my IPG character.

The first one is my first full attempt at drawing Nel at anything even close to realism. I kinda like it, but she's supposed to look androgynous, which I think I missed. But the eyes and hair color are spot on. The skin is supposed to be chalk-white, but unfortunately shading that color creates a zombie-like pallor.

The second one is just an experiment, but there's a chance that the big-eyed blank look somehow fits her character...but it also makes her look kind of vacant upstairs.

The third one is closer in terms of the eyes. However, both the second and third look very male to me, and I was wondering if they looked that way to everyone else.

Criticism? Tips? Better drawings than mine? I welcome all.

Attachments

• Headshot! Part Deux.png
    Headshot! Part Deux.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 791
  • Nelew version 1 drawing (800x802).png
    Nelew version 1 drawing (800x802).png
    255.6 KB · Views: 769
  • Nelew version 2 drawing (800x802).png
    Nelew version 2 drawing (800x802).png
    76.6 KB · Views: 768
-_-;

Which picture? All of them?

The eyes in the first one are supposed to be half-lidded, not asian, so I guess I need to go back to the drawing board with them...

The image on Chen's wiki. Look at his face, then look at the features on yours. I don't mean to be blunt, Missing, just offering a critique.

I don't mean to be rude, but does anyone else see a bit of a resemblance here?

This reminds me of a police suspect sketch.

Cipher said:
The image on Chen's wiki. Look at his face, then look at the features on yours. I don't mean to be blunt, Missing, just offering a critique.

I don't mean to be rude, but does anyone else see a bit of a resemblance here?
I know you didn't mean anything by it. It's just a bit of a surprise, I hadn't considered the possibility. And I was wondering which of the three Nelew pictures bore the resemblance, since (to me anyway) the first one is quite different from the second and third.

Thanks for the compliment, Sub : )

Wes, I'm not sure how to take your comment. But, since you mention it, that's true, it does. Probably the "face-and-shoulders" framing, though >_>

Anyone have any tips on how to fix what I have or something to better achieve the desired look?

All I can say is work on the eyes, and to a lesser extent the rest of the face. The damn slippery buggers get me everytime, be it my futile attempts at a realistic style or even just painting the damn things on models. The clothing looks gorgeous though.

Yeah, kinda figured the eyes were a key point. How about facial structure? I'm considering avoiding androgyny and just going with whatever I happen to end up with erring toward female...otherwise I'm aiming for a balance that I'm not sure how to get.

I say keep trying at it. At the moment, she looks more masculine then androgynous but with the right reference material you should be able to err in the right direction.

New Nelew pic! Took me a while, but I was bored and decided to give it another shot. And, yeah, I know the collar is opening the wrong way. I didn't have my IPG uniform reference with me on the bus.

Comments? Better, or worse?

Attachments

• 2008-07-19 - Nelew attempt #3 (leveled and balanced).png
    2008-07-19 - Nelew attempt #3 (leveled and balanced).png
    73.4 KB · Views: 320
Because no one else does : ) And because it's out of the way during fights, easy to care for, and because it's the opposite of Lenwe's hairstyle.

Nel's is faded on the sides and back, gradually going from long to short instead of being buzz-cut so it's not a mushroom-cut.

And, no, I didn't recognize the link between the bowl cut and Bruce Lee until I was typing up this post just now.

i'm fairly sure that his character would be banned for being too awesomely amazing if he inherited half of Bruce Lee's skillz. It's almost like being chuck norris's thumb.

Nevaraon said:
i'm fairly sure that his character would be banned for being too awesomely amazing if he inherited half of Bruce Lee's skillz. It's almost like being chuck norris's thumb.

"He"? So it's still too much toward male?

*goes for attempt #5...*

I'm going to go ahead and post this for Nel's profile anyway, since it's reasonably close IMO. Meanwhile, if anyone else wants to give her a shot in a donation piece of art, I'd appreciate it!

Don't feel bad, Nev. She's supposed to look somewhat androgynous, but I seem to keep erring toward male instead of female. I suppose it could mostly be due to the lack of details in my drawings (you can only determine so much by lines), and I suppose you saw short hair and automatically thought male anyway.

Let's just say it'd be easier to tell in person, but that's her general look.

*looks at the picture again, then frowns* I guess the coat wouldn't hide that much of her figure anyway...

RPG-D RPGfix
Back