• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 21st Fighter Sq Mission 0 - The Beginning.

SSharp

Inactive Member
ON

Atsui walked into the Collapsible Rapid Deployment Module, the Ke-P1-3a served as the command center for the alert squadron, upon entering she went to the hexagonal table in the command side, there she saw Kayo-Hei the squadron's admin. The Neko fairly flew out of her chair and bowed when Atsui approached. "Good Day Numa-Chui. I have the information you requested." the brown haired neko said.

"Relax, take a seat Kayo-Hei." Atsui said as she took a seat. "We will start once Hayashi-Shoi, and Hibiyashi-Hei arrive."

"Hayashi-Shoi, why did you pull me away from my fighters?" Hibiyashi asked with a small glare at her superior officer. They were walking through the bunker's short hallways, after having arrived on Daichi. The Command Module was tight -- but it could have been worse, with more people.

"So we can torture a clerk." He mumbled.

"What?"

"Because Numa-Chui noticed the lack of supplies the 21st Squadron has at its disposal -- weren't you complaining earlier about how you didn't have enough spare parts?" He said, louder this time.

"Oh." The crew chief waved her hand, as if dismissing something. "I wormed some out of a scared little Itto-Hei that was part of the Sapphire's engineering crew. The little baka nearly wet his pants. Thought I might hit him for 'insubordination'. I felt almost bad about it, too."

Which is exactly why we need you. He thought.

Out loud, Hachirou said "I'm sure it wasn't necessary -- anyway, we want you around so we can have an on-hand account of what supplies your technicians need."

"Hai, Hayashi-Shoi."

The two quickly found themselves closing in on where Kayo-Hei and Atsui sat.

Kayo watched the two senior nekos enter the command module. The Executive Officer and Chief Technician? What is this meeting about? I'm not sure what the Chui is up to, but I am certain it must be important. she thought.

Atsui watched as her XO approached, "Good to see you two. As you know the Taisho has temporarily assigned the 21st to serve as the Alert Squadron on Daichi. While the folks here at Fort Shotou were nice enough to give us these temporary CRDM facilities they were less than forth coming on some logistical items. We are going to discuss how we are going to solve that matter. Have a seat." she said pointing to the chairs opposite herself.

Sekai brushed past Hachirou, and sat down across from Kayo. Hachirou took the remaining seat, but oriented himself so his body was facing the small neko.

"Hibiyashi-Heisho, I take it you have seen the storage module that the quartermaster so generously provided. More importantly the fact that is is empty except for shelving. We need to rectify that don't you agree?" Atsui inquired.

"Agreed. I can't very well use air to repair my -- your fighters. Ma'am." Sekai added.

"Well, I could not help but notice when we arrived that the Garrison has a good number of Kuma T8 shuttles, and our Kawarime use many of the same parts. So I want you and Kayo to do a little shopping. Outside there is a Type 30 Cargo Truck waiting outside that I commandeered. It is loaded with an empty small SSCC and 6 Star Army footlockers."

"The two of you are going to head over to the Quartermaster and get us the necessary spare parts for our fighters. As well as items for use by the pilots while we are out here. Essential things, like first aid kits, and the like. The Taisho said she expects us to be ready, so we are going to do what we need to be so." Atsui said.

"Shoi, I want you to draw up a list of items you think we need while we are staying in these boxes and give it Kayo. While you three are procuring our supplies, I am going to have a little discussion with the Fort Commander. Any questions?"

Hachirou was the only one who answered, after a slight pause. "None, Numa-Chui. We will get started immediately."

"Use any means short of whole sale robbery to get what we need. Personally I think they resent our being here." Atsui said as a last bit of advise before she left.

"Hai!" Hachirou said, standing as she left.

Sekai stood as well, looking delighted.

Kayo could not believe what the Chui was saying I must be mistaken, it almost sounded like she was telling to misappropriate supplies. She stood up as the Chui rose and left.

"Shoi? Can you explain what Numa-Chui wants us to do?" The confused Neko asked.

"This is going to be fun." Sekai said, a grin spreading across her face.

Hachirou looked at the small -Hei, the clerk who he realized must still be very young.

The innocence of youth. the XO thought, mulling over how he could answer the question.

With an amused smile, he spoke very gently, as if to a child. "We're going to be swindling other units and persons for supplies we need. It's alright, as long as we don't get caught."

Then, turning around, he beckoned with a hand over his shoulder for the two Nekos to follow him into the light of day.

Kayo followed Hachirou, "As long as we don't get caught... then we must not get caught. It would reflect badly on the Chui and the squadron." she said softly to herself. This day was getting stranger by the minute.

They found their vehicle outside, and seeing as Kayo was the most junior, both Hachirou and Sekai assumed the youngling would be driving.

Sekai boarded in the back of the truck, amongst the containers, and sat in a secure-looking spot. The XO chose the passenger seat. Kayo nimbly climbed into the driver seat of truck and started the vehicle. "So Hayashi-Shoi, where shall we start our aquisitioning?"

"We head for the Garrison. Start driving, Kayo-hei." Hachirou said to the Neko. "And step on it, too."

It took them only a few minutes to reach the Garrison -- there were no barricades yet, and they passed through quickly. Hachirou directed Kayo to a stop in front of the Warehouse, and they parked. Sekai was already out of the back by the time his feet hit the ground.

"Hibiyashi-Heisho, you've been here before, right?" He asked.

"Once. When we first came down." She answered.

"Good. You and Kayo will go talk with whichever senior enlisted is in charge here, I'll go look important over by the truck. Make me out to be ill-tempered or something."

The crew chief's smile grew into a grin again. "Hai, Hayashi-Shoi."

"Come, Kayo-Hei." Sekai said to the younger Neko.

After securing the vehicle Kayo hopped down and fell in behind Sekai. "Right behind you Heisho." she said her mood perking up. This does not seem so hard.

The crew chief, with the Hei in tow, walked a few feet into the warehouse, and shouted as loudly as she could.

"WHO'S IN CHARGE HERE?!"

"That would be me, Henderson-Nitô Heisho. At least until Burke-Santô Juni returns from the Heitan." said a black haired Yamataian male.

"Oh, good. This makes things much simpler. I was hoping to find you." Sekai said. "I wonder what you thought, when you did it. Did you think you'd get away scot-free?"

The young man had a puzzled expression, "Jôtô Heisho? What did I do? I am afraid you have me at a disadvantage?" he replied while nervously shifting his foot trying to figure out what he could have done wrong.

"Don't act like you're innocent. You -- or one of your little Heis, if you have them in this toilet bowl of a warehouse -- is guilty. Guilty as sin, in fact, and I'm the only thing between you and my Shoi, who wants to rip some throats out." Sekai swept her arms out wildly when commenting about the warehouse, and then snapped closely in in a wringing gesture at the end. From that distance, it probably looked like Hachirou was another Neko -- and even if he didn't, he put a well-timed vicious kick at the truck's wheel.

"So, you'd better cooperate, Henderson-Heisho, or you may end up in a new body as Henderson-Hei, scrubbing the outside of the Heitan without a suit."

"Jôtô Heisho..." Henderson started, then noticed the patches on the Neko's uniform. "You are with the 21st... Ma'am, we were just following orders. There is no need to do anything rash." he said his forehead perspiring.

"Really? Following orders? To insult the Shoi? The Chui? The 21st?" Sekai said, lowering her arms, and narrowing her eyes at the Heisho.

Erring on the side of caution -- she might push the man too far -- Sekai thrust a list on a clipboard at the young Heisho. "If you don't get us everything on that list now -- and I mean now -- and load it on that truck where the Shoi is now, it'll be an insult to Mikasa-Taisho herself. Wanna talk about wrath?"

The Quartermaster looked at the list, most of it was familiar. He had seen a list almost identical in the hands of Burke-Juni. He was inclined to tell her that she could not have the items, until she mentioned the Taisho. Burke never said anything about the Taisho. Shit. He took a moment to collect himself. He then turned to a group of Hei's who were loading supplies into the shelves.

"Get your asses over here, and get this requisition filled ASAP or you will find my boot up your backside." He signed the requistion, and turned to Sekai, "Sorry for the inconvenience it was obviously a clerical mistake. No need to bother the Taisho." he took a moment to pencil in a case of whiskey, and an extra toolkit to the page. He tore off the top sheet and handed it to the first Hei who approached him. The Neko grabbed it and showed the others. Who set about gathering the items.

With a smile, Sekai said "Good. I hope it really was a mistake." She then turned in the direction of Hachirou and the truck.

"I THINK WE HAVE A GOOD ONE HERE, SIR. THE CHUI WILL BE PLEASED!" Sekai called.

Hachirou put his hands on his head, and paced a bit.

Then, she turned to Kayo. "Go back to the Truck. Keep the Shoi calm, and make sure he really is missing his NSP. He might go off anyway. Y'Hear?" She said it just loud enough for the man to hear, and gave an unseen wink to Kayo.

"Work faster!" The man yelled at the group.

OFF

ON

Atsui was standing outside the 'Alert Bunker' looking out at the Kawarime fighters sitting there, and the clear blue sky above. Tired of sitting on the ground, heck other than when we came down on the shuttle we haven't seen any of the surface from above. she thought. Reaching down she picked up her communicator, "Hayashi-Shoi, I feel like stretching my legs. Care to join me?"

Hayashi Hachirou was in the Mess Hall, eating his meal when his communicator squawked with the Atsui's message. Setting down his fork with a sigh, he picked up the small device.

"It sounds good to me." He said over the communicator, looking somewhat regretfully down at the plate of food. "By the fighters, I assume?"

"Yes, I'm going to suit up and call our EWO's. See you in say 15 minutes." Atsui replied. Then sent a text message to the EWO's. Lastly she sent a message to Hibiyashi-Heisho telling her to prep the craft. She turned and went in to get a drink of water. Then went into the bunk room. She took off her duty uniform and donned the AMES that served as her flight suit. Need to talk to headquarters we should probably request real flight suits instead of using the AMES. Once she had the suit on, she attached her side arm and headed out to the parking area. She saw Sekai moving from her fighter to Hachirou's. She climbed up the ladder and sat on the top waiting for her EWO to arrive.

"Hai."
It took him only a few moments to find Lynn Yagami, the EWO -- or Electronic Warfare Operator -- for his Kawarime. With the quiet Neko in tow (and after a change into their AMES) they made their way to the fighter. Hibiyashi Sekai, the deck crew chief for the 21st Squadron, grunted upon their arrival.

"Taking her for a spin. Hope you don't mind me taking your baby out, Hibiyashi-Heisho?" Hachirou asked with a smile.

"As long as she's back by ten, Hayashi-Shoi. Without a scratch, right?"

"Right." Lynn was already in her seat by the time Hachirou boarded, and began running the diagnostics from the cockpit.

Arashi Yoshi came up to the fighter at a jog. "Sorry for the delay ma'am. Misplaced my gloves." he said as he climbed up and slipped into the rear seat. Atsui watched as he settled in and started performing his preflight. She slipped into her seat, and strapped herself in. After adjusting them for comfort, she started the startup sequence. As power started running through the fighter, the various instruments came online and then the thrum of the engines started. I could use the CFS and VTOL out of here, but may as well give the new temporary runway a test. After all when the new pilots get here they will need to use the runway. she thought. She gave the crew chief the thumbs up and she pulled the chocks out from the wheels. With just a slight nudge of the throttle the fighter started rolling smoothly across the metal sheets. She turned easily and continued on her way to the end of the runway. "Shotou Tower this is V8X2 32-0036, going to take a look around." she said over the craft radio.

"V8X2 32-0036 the pattern is clear you are free to launch at your discretion." came the reply.

"Roger that Shotou Tower, 'Solitaire' rolling." Atsui sent as she increased the thrust of the twin engines. A final check of the instrumentation showed all was green. She closed the canopy and released the brakes. The Kawarime surged forward gathering speed easily. At the appropriate speed Atsui pulled back on the joystick, and the fighter shot upwards. As the ground fell away she brought the landing gear up. As she approached she leveled off at 10,000 feet. She banked into a gentle curve to wait for Raikou to join her.

As soon as the Shoi was off the runway, Hachirou taxied into place. Taking note of Atsui's launch, he followed in similar fashion.

"Shotou Tower, this is V8X2 32-0038, 'Raikou' launching to join formation with 32-0036 'Solitaire'."

OFF - TBC

ON

"V8X2 32-0038, Shotou Tower, you are clear to roll at your discretion." came the controller's reply.

Hachirou launched, joining the Chui in the air.

Atsui circled the field until Hachirou was on her wing. "Let's take a little run south, I want to look at the 'firing/bombing range." she said banking her fighter.

"Hai." Hachirou murmured. "Are we even loaded? We might be able to pop a few targets if we are."

The Shoi banked with Atsui, running diagnostics on his Fighter. The CFS would only be used in space -- in Atmosphere, it was the age-old flight stabilizers and flaps that aided movement. It could be used in atmosphere, but making a major direction change and dropping the CFS would result in the craft plummeting until it built airspeed, which meant problems. Better to keep it offline.

The right wing was a bit stiff to him -- too much force to move the flaps. He altered it from his console, and waggled his wings to test it out.

"How are things on your end, Lynn-Hei?" He asked his EWO.

"Well." Came her short, clipped answer.

"We're loaded with live rounds as the Alert group, but we don't have bombs mounted. I just wanted to give the area a look make a few low level passes to see what it looks like at Mach 2 or 3." Atsui replied.

"Pity." Hachirou said.

"I wonder when we're going to receive those pilots? Between the four of us, we couldn't defend cattle from a wolf." He made sure only Atsui heard -- it wasn't something for Lynn or Atsui Chui's EWO to hear.

"I received word that the fleet was enroute, so hopefully our new pilots will be with them." Atsui said, heading due south to the test range she could see Mount Yui off to the south east. At Mach 2 it did not take long to overfly the designated firing range for the infantry use. After another couple of minutes the nav system showed they were approaching the area. "I'm going for the deck, leveling off at 300 meters at mach 3. Follow my lead, we'll see what these babies can do." Atsui then executed a descent while kicking up her speed. The area for the training was the foothills of the mountain range south of Shotou. At the altitude she was going to fly, she would be flying nape of the earth.

With a grin, Hachirou leveled off. The speedometer in his fighter rose, and the land around him streaked past in a blur. With a whoop, he spun the Kawarime causing Lynn to groan.

Atsui could feel her pulse race almost as fast as the ground that was a blur. "Solitaire the satellite images show a narrow canyon up ahead. You want to check it out?" Yoshi inquired.

Atsui took a moment to consider, "Raikou feel like threading a needle? Cutter says there is narrow canyon, figure we check it out subsonic?"

"Might come in handy if we every fight here. Let's do it." Hachirou replied.

"Cutter, give us the coordinates." Yoshi transmitted the coordinates to the pilots of both fighters. "I got the course, come right to 115 degrees and reduce to .8 mach." Atsui said as she angled her craft in the right direction. From this distance the cannon appeared to be nothing but a crack in the rock face. As they flew closer it became more apparent. Definitely going to be tight should be fun. she thought. "Raikou watch the turbulence. I'd hate for you to clip a wing and have Hibiyashi-Heisho take it out of your hide." she sent as she started her dance. From behind her she could hear a nervous gulp from Cutter.

Hachirou laughed, and slowed down. Despite the humor, he was careful. He wasn't exactly sure he could take the Deck Crew Chief in a fight.

The two sleek fighters streaked through the canyon with the walls growing closer. Atsui banked into the right branch of the canyon. A minute later she shot out from the canyon over forested land. Once over the woods she pulled back on the stick nosing the fighter skyward. "Let's check out the view from above. After all these fighters are able to go trans-orbital." She kicked up the thrust and her fighter streaked up through the atmosphere gaining speed as it climbed. "Now this is flying." she said with a shout.

Hachirou's smile widened, and he pulled his Kawarime up. The speedometer was rising again, he hit Mach 1 and it kept going. The power behind these fighters... was amazing.

Atsui continued to accelerate watching the surface fall away as the fighter climbed. Above them the sky was losing its bright blue and moving to a much darker shade. They had just passed 300 miles when Yoshi chimed in. "I've got an intermittent target on radar. Hoshi can you confirm?"

Lynn Yagami blinked. "Eh? I don't see any--" Lynn's mouth shut with a soft 'click'. There was a contact, but it vanished after the sweep passed again. It was gone after the next sweep, and the third, and the fourth. She was about to say it was nothing when the blip appeared again. "Yes! Contact! I think it's going about Mach 7 or 8. Coming toward the planetary surface!"

"Damn... going pursuit. Don't lose it." Atsui said as she rolled the Kawarime and put it into a steep dive. "It is faster than our normal operating speed. Configure shields to protect the fighter Cutter, while I push the engines beyond atmospheric." "Hai Solitaire." Yoshi replied. "Hoshi synchronize your attack radar to mine, perhaps with both of us sweeping in sync we'll be better able to track whatever it is." he sent.

Lynn replied as Hachirou wordlessly banked toward the contact.

The two Kawarime streaked planet-ward their shields glowing with the heat of their entry. "Shotou Base, this is Solitaire, we are tracking an inbound target, origin unknown." she sent as a warning. The target became easier to track by its heat trail. It slowed as it dropped below 2000 meters and altered course to impact in the dense forest.

"Lynn, make sure this is all going into the Battle Recorder." Hachirou snapped. "Solitaire, I have your wing."

OFF

ON

Atsui continued to close on the mysterious object, she made several attemps to get a lock on the object. But the targeting system would not engage. The object was now flying at 10,000 feet at mach 4. Suddenly it juked to the left and took a course due west. "Raikou I can't get a target lock, I'll stay in pursuit, see if you can flank it and get a visual."

"Hai. I'm on it. Lynn, start trying to find us a lock as well." With that, he banked, streaking out far on Atsui's left wing, and past. He had to increase his speed, and outstripped Atsui's fighter.

As Hachirou paralleled the object he could see it visually. It was a cylindrical object with a round tapered nose. A variety of fins and other protrusions jutted out of the object.

"Raikou, see how close you can get before the object changes course, perhaps we can herd it to someplace safe to bring down." Atsui sent.

"Hai. Lynn, send the visual over to Numa-Chui."

The missile's course remained unchanged until Hachirou closed to within 100 meters. The object began swerving and then careened towards his fighter in a tumble.

Hachirou broke off upward, and to the right. If it had weapons, he'd have the advantage from above, and if it was just a dumb projectile he'd avoid it. Either way, he would be well away.

The object continued its tumbling and fell from the sky. It struck the ground in a large grassy plain and bounced several times before coming to a stop.

Atsui hit her flaps to avoid running into the object or Hachirou's fighter, she banked and caught a glimpse of the object as it bounced. "Object is down, I'm taking her down to get a closer look. I'm going to land VTOL 100 meters from its impact point." she sent.

"I'll cover you from above." Hachirou sent back, and did. He began circling 5000 meters up, ready to send fire down on the object.

Atsui slowed her fighter and switched it to CFS as she descended. She kept her nose and weapons pointed at the object just in case it decided to try anything. Once she touched down she climbed out of the cockpit. She waited while Cutter climbed down with her.

Once they were down, she slowed moved toward the object. From 25 meters she could hear the object making a variety of sounds, most the sound of metal cooling. But also an electronic beeping could be heard.

As the two of them got to 20 meters the object started making a high pitched wail. And then exploded, the force was enough to knock Atsui backward into Cutter.
Hachirou cursed. The object had already exploded, and now Atsui had her life in her own hands. He could do little to help anything other than continue circling. And wait.

Atsui picked herself up, and Cutter got up and dusted himself off. She took out her comm unit, "Damn thing must have self-destructed. We're okay. Nothing injured but my dignity. Radio the base to send a team out to salvage it." she sent.

"Alright. Let's head back as well. Hoshi will tag the coordinates."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back