• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 21st Fighter Sq [Mission 1.0] Christening of Blood

Ren yelped, biting her lip as she read the scanner results, for the number of battlepods. "Well.... we made a dent" she told her pilot, neglecting to mention how small a dent it was. Her pale skin was paler, and if she wasn't a neko she would have been drenched in sweat. As it was she sat more limply in her seat as she tried to focus on the next set of foes, searching through the nearby battle-pods and prioritizing targets for her fighter, trying to get the ones most likely to shoot at them first.

Two battlepods opened fire upon Raikou's fighter with their cannons. The fighter shields flaring from the impacts.

On Ren's screen she saw several battlepods firing missiles at the XO's fighter. And one battlepod was diving down at her fighter from above.

Ren hesitated a moment, torn between preserving her craft and assisting the XO, then she made a decision. She light the pods attacking the XO as higher priority then the one diving from above in Shin's tactical finder, and silently prayed that her hesitation hadn't made it too late to help both, then she shot a flare into the knot of enemy battlepods around her XO's fighter. In the meantime she sent a quick databurst to the XO, displaying the battlepods attacking his fighter, and the one diving at her own.

She gripped her chair, lips moving quickly, as she tried to deal with these threats, restructuring the shields to be somewhat stronger above to deal with the dive-bomber. There was an odd feeling in her stomach, sickly and different, like her intestines were tied into a knot and throttling her heart. She swallowed hard, and prayed silently to any gods that may hear her.

"Oh, To hell with this!" Shin yelled out, firing ALL of his remaining mini-missiles at the pods firing on the XO, then pitching his fighter's nose up as he cut the engines, opening fire on the diving pod with his aether cannons as it came into view, the fighter starting to shake from the stress.

The Kawarime responded to Shin's commands and flipped upwards. Doing so its airspeed plummetted and stall warnings began to sound. For the briefest moment as the cannons blasted the diving battlepod the fighter hung in the air then began falling backwards.

Meanwhile Ren detected multiple friendly objects approaching at high speed. The approach missiles were destroyed in a hail of fire.

"Kawarime Fighters, this is Hirota-Santô Juni, looks like you folks could use some help. My squad of power armors was on training but we will cover you. Let's get these bastard squids out of our airspace." came a voice over the comm unit as a Daisy M6 flew past.

"Thanks for the help, Hirota-Juni. This is Hayachi-Shoi. You wouldn't mind mopping up here, would you? My wingman and I have a date over by Ryou to get to." Hachirou said with a grin.

He banked his fighter around to align with Ryou, but watched the remaining battlepods with a weary eye.

"Come on, Ryuusei. The Infantry have it well in hand here."

"I'm a little busy right now, Sir!" Shin yelled over the com, trying to fight the inherent spin of the stall whilst attempting to point his fighter's nose straight down, attempting to increase the airflow over the wings so that lift could be regained and he could pull up and not crash. As the nose of the kawarime pointed down, Shin accelerated, gaining air speed before pulling up, trying to level out as he regained his bearings.

"I'm sorry sir, but I don't like to leave a party before things are over."

With a sinking feeling, Hachirou realized Shin was in a stall and currently plummeting to the Earth.

"Binky! If you get to close to the ground, punch the ejection for the both of you!" He called.

"Hirota-Juni, can you cover Ryuusei while he tries to get his fighter back in the air?"

Hachirou banked to face the remaining Battlepods. He planned to dive down at them from above, locking and firing to cover Shin's fall and the Infantry.

"We're on it Hayachi-Shoi." Hirota replied. The power armor clad soldiers took up positions around the falling fighter, alert to fire upon any battlepod that looked twice at it, and if necessary to try to assist it if it could not correct.

Shin's corrective actions gave the fighter enough lift and airspeed that the fighter began to level off and the stall warnings cleared.

Ren's mind hovered over the eject option on the interface. "We're leveling off" she reported after a bit, running her scanners to re-prioritize the hostiles. Things were starting to quiet down a bit. "That was... exciting" she murmured, blinking at Shin. She turned off her transmissions for a moment to talk to the pilot.

"Th...thank you for... saving me earlier... I owe you..." she murmured, blushing hotly "Would... um... would you like me..." She blushed falling silent "S...sorry I shouldn't distract you while you're piloting..." She turned her attention back to the computer systems, and other things she was responsible for.

Shin eased the fighter into a climb, gaining more altitude as he accelerated, yawing to face the remaining battlepods. Cockily smiling back at his nekovalkyrja EWO, he gave her a thumbs up.

"Don' worry, cutey. We'll talk more when this mission is over. But right now, we have a job to do, so don't let me down, got it?"

Ren's monitoring of the NMX transmissions showed a new set of commands being transmitted from orbit. The strength was too strong fo her jamming to block completely. The battlepods above the Kawarime began splitting into two groups, one was accelerating upwards, while the other was accelerating towards any target it could find. One of them streaking towards their Kawarime from the side.

"They're getting new commands!" Ren said, to her copilot and the others listening in on the channel. "It looks like some of them are trying to either do something fancy, or get away... they're flying upwards. The others seem to be trying to distract us by going after every avalible target!"

She highlighted the one that was heading towards the Kawarmie from the side on her targeting screen. "This one appears to be trying to attack us. Take it out then let's chase after the ones that are trying to abscond." She recommended to her pilot, as she sent an Electromagnetic Countermesure burst at the one attempting ramming, hoping to blind it's sensors for a few moments.

Hachirou turned and banked down at a steep angle. The resulting G-Forces caused Lynn in the EWO Seat to give a yelp of surprise. He then pulled up quickly with a violent jerk back on the controls.

If he had a solution on any of the escaping pods, he would fire, but his main priority in the vicious movement of his fighter was to avoid collision with a Battlepod, and perhaps turn the tables.

"Ryuusei! Binky! Watch out!" He called out to his wing mates.

Hachirou's maneuver was enough to avoid the battlepod, but just barely the enemy craft clipped their shielding. The CFS indicators flash and showed the shield strength drop.

The battlepod itself was then swarmed by 6 Daisy clad soldiers who proceeded to blast it out of the sky.

----------------------------------------------

Ren's countermeasures blinded the battlepod for a moment and that moment was enough, It streaked past their Kawarime just barely missing it, the turbulence from its passing shaking the fighter.

Shin jumped on the battlepod the moment he saw an opening, pulling his Kawarime into a tight turn to try to get on its tail, opening up with three second bursts from the main guns. The pilot accelerated, not wanting to let this pod get away.

"Hachirou-Shoi! Go help out the rest of the squadron. Me and Ren will catch up!"

Ren nodded to herself "I'm... ready" she murmured, her voice quivering at the close call, and her eyes wild. She began looking again, searching for hotspots and trouble-spots to steer her pilot into so he could clear them up. "But the people on the ground seem to be doing pretty well... We should deal with the pods that are attempting to get away and cause trouble elsewhere..." She begins chase-sweeping, searching for pods that were breaking formation or otherwise behaving unusually, bringing them up as targets on her pilot's viewscreen.

The Battlepods that had disengaged were streaking upwards approaching escape velocity, heedless of the g-forces they were generating since they were automatons. The air was full of sonic booms as they broke the sound barrier leaving contrails behind them as they raced skyward. On the ground fires could be seen where pods had managed to hit something.

Shin glared at the escaping battlepods, his body acting on sheer instinct as he guided the Kawarime carrying him and Ren into a steep climb, gunning the TAPs to full power.

"To hell with this. We won't be leaving Daichi if we can catch them before they exit the atmosphere. Ren, make sure this salvo hits!" The malifaran cracked a predatory smile as the fighter seemed to leap, the entirety of its remaining mini-missiles exiting their launchers, streaking out towards the climbing battlepods.

"Alright, scanning" Ren said, as Shin took them up in persuit. She reached out with the ship's sensors, searching for ships that were already damaged, and marking them on Shin's screen. She also searched through the fighters for any firing solutions that could cause damaged fighters to careen into other damaged fighters, displaying these solutions to Shin as well.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back