• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 4th Fleet (NSN) [Mission 1.1] The Nepleslian Job

Zack

Inactive Member
Laura had been loaded into a transport halftrack along with several unmarked boxes and a pair of meter in diameter metal spheres, all of which were transported out of the safer downtown areas of Nepleslia and brought towards the slums. A growing smoke cloud was settling in the distance, but the truck turned off the main road before getting too close.

That road got progressively worse until it was little more than a mud trail that passed through shanty housing and apartment complexes, finally ending at a garage door that opened up, allowing the halftrack to park inside one of the run down apartment complexes. The metal spheres then extended mechanical tendrils, a single red eye glowing on each as they lifted themselves up off the back of the halftrack, picking up boxes and taking them towards a nearby lift.

“OH! LAURA!” One of the drones said, setting down his box and turning around to focus its single eye on the Medic.

“WELCOME TO YOUR FIRST ASSIGNMENT!” The drone practically shouted, its volume just slightly too loud for indoors and its enthusiasm all too persistant. “THE MARINE GROUP WILL BE ARRIVING SOON AND YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO TREAT THEIR INJURIES!” As it talked the drone’s tendrils were opening up the box it had been holding. Inside was a replacement eye, a Medkit, a hypolathe ,and an odd looking pressure suit “I STRONGLY SUGGEST WEARING THE PRESSURE SUIT! BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS HAVE BEEN DEPLOYED AGAINST THE MARINES. YOU SHOULD ALSO BE READY FOR BURNS, INTERNAL BLEEDING, AND EXTENSIVE DAMAGE TO THE LEFT SIDE OF THE HEAD AND LEFT EYE OF ONE OF THE MARINES. EYE REPLACEMENT WILL BE REQUIRED!”

As the Drone finished talking another half track, this time with a closed top, would drive into the garage. The garage doors would then close as the doors on the back of the half track opened up…

---

Continued from Mission 6, The Cow Level…

The marine group had been seated in the back stuffed into the back of a closed topped halftrack transport, strong UV lights sterilizing the windowless back of the vehicle as Cedric continued to bleed. When the doors finally opened, the marines would find themselves in a garage with a young woman and a pair of junker drones.

“The old man will probably have me go through some more decontamination shit, just like he’ll probably do something completely unnecessary for you guys, like replace all of Cedric’s blood… Either way I’m not exactly vulnerable to disease like your squishy race. I need you to take Cedric to go get patched up… have Avel help you just don’t let him touch anything if it looks important.” Harm said,a hint of fatigue creeping into her voice, her posture slumped forward more than normal as if she was carrying more weight on her shoulders than on her chest. She then looked over at Phaedra. Drei had triggered her armor’s auto-pilot, forcibly walking her into the vehicle earlier and having her sit down while, letting her chill out in place with her armor keeping her from moving.

“You alright in there.” Harm asked, getting up from her seat and standing over Phaedra, waving her four fingered hand in front of the woman’s helmet. Since Harm’s armor had been destroyed in the last operation, she was left wearing a skintight black bodysuit that clung to her body. “If you’re good to move give me a grunt.”

The PA System in the garage would then kick in.

“Please take the lift down, take Cedric into the medical bay, then get some food and take a nap if you need it. The next mission briefing starts in an hour. Phaedra and Laura should come and see me when they get a chance.” Wazu said.

---

The lift, like the garage, looked run down and somewhat gross. A discarded Neppies burger meal was piled in one corner of the lift and aside from the shiny chrome bits of the half tracks, everything seemed to have a layer of filth on it.

This would change when the Marines took the lift down a level, its doors opening out into a clean looking, open room. The main room had a single table in the center, projecting a volumetric display containing city maps while holding numerous datapads and pieces of paper that were strewn about while Wazu looked them over. A pair of fold out sofa/beds were nearby. A door on one side of the room led into a small armory with a pair of hostile class power armors, ration packs, and footlockers filled with guns and ammo. The door on the other side led into a more private bedroom with an attached bathroom. Finally, the far wall was made of a transparent material, and sectioned off a fully stocked med bay with a single surgery table from the main area.

Re: [Mission 1] The Nepleslian Job

"This person is a trained medical professional right? Because I totally suck at helping people." Avel replied to Harm's comment about assisting the young woman in front of them. The garage looked more like a waste disposal facility than a hospital. Hopefully the next levels were more sanitary otherwise an infection was going to be added to Cedric's medical problems.

Truth be told Avel wasn't feeling all that great either. The concussion had switched her digestive functions into reverse and she now felt the urge to throw up. It didn't help that there was a bloody faced man with an exploded eyeball in plain view.

When she moved to pick up Cedric's legs she noticed that something was off with Phaedra. She also recalled her saying something about killing people over the comms.

"I think Phaedra had some kind of breakdown back when the train exploded."

"Really?" Naomi asked, exiting the halftrack quickly to make room to get her fellow Marine out. "You think that's why she's just sitting there? I'm not interested right now. Let's get Somerville donw now."

Moving in to position to help lift Cedric out, Naomi took care not to get him hurt any further, taking special care not to jostle his head anymore.

"You the Doc?" she asked as they approached Laura. Her voice had the level, flat tone of somebody trying to handle a high-stress environment.

"Where do we put him?" It almost sounded like she was just delivering a new grand piano. Not waiting on the answer, she addressed Harm next.

"Harm, is Volkov alright?"

Cedric was totally unaware.

He couldn't remember anything.

All he could see was darkness, and all he could feel was pain. A dull, throbbing pain across the entireity of his body, with the source feeling somewhere in his head. He faded in and out of consciousness as he drove. Whenever he could see, he couldn't make out who it was that he was seeing in the blurry view of his one eye.

Why do I only have one eye?

Cedric saw strange figures, in bulky looking suits. One was holding his head tightly, keeping him from moving his head. Not that he could have, even if he had wanted to. This scene greeted him many times, with little to no changes. Now though, it had changed. He felt himself being lifted up, and he was being moved. Slowly he opened his eye: seeing one of the people holding his feet. He didn't know why but the figure was . . . familiar, even through his mental haze.

Slowly, he reached out with one hand. He strained for the figure holding him by the feet, but he couldn't move. The effort of even bringing his hand up robbed him of energy and he passed in to blackness once again.

Laura acknowledged the drone absently as she donned the pressure suit. It was uncomfortable and bulky. And the gloves made it even harder to perform delicate operations. Like eye surgeries. At the same time, she had no desire to be exposed to any Mishhu bio-weapon.

She was just done when the Marines began piling out of the second half-track. All but one was in power armor. And that one was a... Neko?! Laura blinked to make sure her eyes weren't deceiving her. A Nekovalkyrja in a Nepleslian military base... That automatically placed her at the bottom of the triage list, especially if she was walking. Between the Nekos' enhanced immune system and hemosynth capabilities, she could probably deal with any minor injuries she had.

One of the walked up to her and spoke. "You the Doc?" Laura looked up, unamused. "Yeah, I'm the Doc. Lower him so i can use this."

She pulled out the hypolathe and injected some of the medical nano-bots to stop the bleeding. Her datajockey displayed the information for Cedric, thanks to the link with his power armour. Laura scrolled down, skimming the read outs. Internal bleeding - he'd need surgery for that.

"Someone pop his armor and get him to the medical bay below. Come back up if you think you need medical attention. Otherwise, I'll deal with you when i get down there. And don't go down there in power armour!"

Laura hadn't been addressing anyone in particular. She did not know any names but wanted someone who felt healthy enough to get the job done. It was time to get working on triage. She began linking to all the power armours, getting their health monitor data. "Who here thinks they need medical attention? I can do a quick patch job but anything fancy will have to wait."

"Not me." Matteo lazily answered. In a sense, the mission had ended with a bang, but for some reason, it wasn't very exciting. On the other hand, for the wounded...exciting was probably an understatement. Perhaps excruciating was a better word? Yeah, it was, considering Cedric's predicament. But what about the vet, Phaedra? She'd been quiet most of, if not the whole time back. That, was more worrying than the occasionally moaning Cedric. At least he made noise. Regardless, they were probably going to be fine. What did worry the marine though, was what happened to that damned annoying Mishhu.

"So...did you guys see the squid get splattered, or was it an unconfirmed? I'd rather not ever hear a Mishhu quoting Phil again."

"Just a severe concussion, I'll be fine so long as I don't go to sleep at the moment." Avel said as she helped carry Cedric to the medical bay. Then she remembered something. "You might want to check the one in the NIGHT armor."

Phaedra had to admit that she missed William Harrison. If there was one person from her time on the NSS Acadia that had helped her the most, it would have been him. Amelia Weynolt had become Phaedra's closest friend despite the short time they knew each other, but Will was always there to help her. He was the first person she had a in-depth conversation with when she met up with the unit at Roger Wilco. He had a private knowledge of Phaedra's traumatic past, and went out of his way to help her struggle through it. He had comforted her when Avel was killed, and had always taken things with that casual attitude of his.

They had become trusted comrades, as well as most of the other marines in the unit. She did not know why she did not transfer to a new unit when she had the chance. She was a veteran of several engagements, with a unit of relatively green recruits. She didn't feel like a veteran; she still just felt the same. The same broken, flawed self.

Dammit, she missed that man.

All these things drifted through her mind while she sat in her armor, having fallen asleep from the enormity of the emotional trama she had recalled. She slowly drifted awake from the utter nothingless of deep sleep and she coughed. She felt dried blood crinkling on her face from where it dripped from her mouth, and her throat felt as dry as a desert.

"Damn emotions..." thought Phaedra. She heard muffled chatter on the comm, something about Cedric and a doctor.

Again she coughed, and she grimaced in pain from her ribs. She tried to take a deep breath and found that she couldn't. She could feel the ribs on her right side moving and could almost hear them making noise.

"Shit," she croaked. She coughed involuntarily just as she was about to talk on the comm, a throaty cough that sounded like a death rattle.

"This is Wolf. I seem to be seriously injured, and my armor cannot move," she said into the comm.

"And I also have no idea how I got here," she added.

"Alright, just give me a second." Avel replied to Phaedra over the comms as she opened up Cedric's Aggressor armor and carefully pulled him out. She would then hand him over to Naomi and Laura to take things from there. In all honesty she believed that the man had suffered enough at the hands of her amateur medical skills.

Once all of that was finished she would then walk over to the immobile NIGHT armor and pause before she opened it. The last thing she needed was to infect another marine with an alien super-virus.

"Is it actually safe to get her out of there or should we get decontaminated first?"

"Concussion girl, check for any swelling. If there is, find some ice and keep it on the swelling. And tell me if you do have swelling! And if you find burn cream, apply it lightly around the man's burnt skin!" Laura did not look to see who was taking him. She had other things to attend to. "If you've taken battle damage, chances are your suit's integrity is already compromised and you've been exposed. Your suits should have received a decon package while you were on that half-track."

Immobile suit. Great. Vital signs were patchy. The datajockey also gave a brief medical history. Phaedra Volkov. PTSD ... in remission. Claustro and mycto. What was she doing in power armour?! Laura searched for the keypad at the suit's neck. "Private Volkov, this Private Romero, your new unit medic. Calm down and wait a minute while I punch in the medical override code."

Her fingers tapped the code to release the armor seals. It wasn't a standard code, just one for medical personnel in case they needed to access a wounded Marine inside and the armor was in the way. The suit accepted the code and began opening up to reveal Phaedra.

“Heavy UV Lights,” Harm said, pointing up towards the blue strips along the top of the halftrack that Phaedra was still sitting in, “It’ll kill anything on the outside of your armor small enough to be a biological threat.”

She would then turn to Avel and Laura, holding out her hands to guide them back out of the transport and speaking loudly to make sure Naomi overheard, “Phaedra’s injuries aren’t life threatening. Go and put Cedric back together and I’ll bring Phaedra on down.”

Harm would then turn back towards Phaedra, sitting down next to her and putting her arm around and under Phaedra’s shoulder to get ready to lift her up while still in her opened armor. “I know people who have lost family,” She said, lifting slightly to judge Phaedra’s response to see if she was ready to be moved, “And I know people who’ve gone bot after severe injuries. They don’t get panic attacks because people they know have died, and they can certainly tough out the pain, especially with those high end fun pills you’re prescribed.

The funny thing is, the people I know tent to loose it to more mundane things. Like someone loosing his ability to speak and walk when he thinks he is the dumbest person in the room, or being unable to perform because they don’t think their dick is big enough.

I’ve seen you during the mess on Higaflan, and you’re very calm when shit was hitting the fan back at the Beef Farm. You’re dossier says you are able of beating your fears so…

…Why do you think you’re not a good enough soldier?”

---

“Take the lift downstairs, A medbay is waiting for you.” The PA said, as the junker drones went to pick up Cedric. Their tendrils ended up forming a small stretcher between them so that they could carry him without further injury into the waiting lift with the help of any marines still holding on to Cedric’s body.

Laura looked at the Neko, still uncertain about its place in the squad and the command structure. Whatever Laura got off the NIGHT and went down with Cedric. The fact that the Neko wasn't dead from a Nepleslian gun shot meant something more important than her pay grade was going on. She considered leaving her Medkit here but decided against it. They'd just drink the alcohol.

She accompanied the junker bots carrying Cedric. "Get him onto the table. Gently." Once there, she examined the wounds again. The medical nano had indeed worked its magic. The bleeding was down to a minimum and his life signs were slightly improved. Time to operate. Without anesthesia or much sterility! She started cleaning the area of dried blood, making sure not bruise the newly repaired skin.

Laura maneuvered one of the overhead lights to shine into the wretched hole where a human eye had once been. It wasn't clean despite the efforts of the medical nano, which meant she had to remove the debris as well as the remnants of the eye before she could even begin.

It was a tiresome process but after several long minutes, she could not find anything to prevent the eye replacement from going ahead. She sprayed more medical nano over the area. "Right then, let's see what I need to do." Laura held the mechanical eye before, skimming the datajockey for any special instructions.

Avel nodded and headed off to where she had seen the two other power armors and tried to get out. What transpired next was the front hatch literally falling off as it opened along with a few other armor plates. Avel quickly climbed out and shook off the sudden dizziness that came over her.

Once Avel was able to think straight she headed to the lift where Laura and Cedric had gone. When she reached her destination she saw that the medic was already treating the mans wounds. She briefly considered letting her take things up from here but Harm had ordered her to assist in any way she could.

"Harm told me to help you with anything you might need." She said to Laura. "I don't have any medical training so don't ask me to do anything like that."

Laura turned away from the datajockey. "If he comes conscious, I need you to keep him on the table. Calm him down, hold him, anything. I don't dare use anesthetics. His heart rate may go too low; it's already erratic enough. He's flickering between awake and unconscious."

No special instructions. "Right boyo, this may be more unpleasant for me but it'll hurt you more than me." Slowly, Laura began attaching the ends of the optical nerves into the mechanical device. The suit's stubby fingers meant that, what was normally a tricky operation, was even more difficult. And hardly sterile.

To compensate, she had a junker injecting medical nano into body every time she said the word, "Bastard."

“!”

The Junker drone enthusiastically jabbed a syringe into Cedric’s arm, pumping him full of medical nanomachines.

A second junker drone was busy moving around in the medbay, setting up trays of tools next to Laura, preparing bowls of sterilization liquids to re-clean bloodied tools, and getting ready to provide suction to remove excess blood in the wound Laura was working on to prepare it for re-injection into Cedric’s body. Secondary tendrils from the drone were also checking over the rest of his body, performing minor repairs like adding additional skin over burns and cuts.

The eye itself had a yellow cord with a small inlet to stick the optical nerve into, and several points along the outside of the eye that were marked with numbers, 1 through 6, for attaching the muscles that moved the eye. These muscles, however, were damaged and torn already but drone number 2 already had artificial muscle ready. A quick attachment and a spray of nanomachines would have the muscles replaced and able to do their job.

Phaedra was somewhat suprised when Harm sat down next to her, and taken aback when the Neko attempted help her out of her armor. She hesitated for a moment, then nodded and Harm helped Phaedra up to her feet. Phaedra was suprised how strong Harm was despite her small frame, then dumbfounded when the Neko attempted to sympathize with her.

"Why do you think you're not a good enough soldier?" asked Harm.

Phaedra's first impression of Harm was still rather fresh in her mind, but she pushed down those assumptions; no one was ever as they initially appeared.

"I'm assuming it wasn't in my dossier..." she trailed off, being mindful of her tone. A fit of coughs ensued, but then she continued.

"Buy me a drink sometime, maybe I'll tell you."

Avel silently watched as Laura and the junker drones worked on Cedric. So far the man hadn't suddenly regained consciousness and had a panic attack. So far things were going smoothly and it looked like the man was going to pull through. Avel would have been relieved that she hadn't inadvertently killed someone had it not been for the mounting dizziness.

"Would you excuse me for a moment. I need to take care of something." Avel said and rushed to the lift where she would head back up to the level with the parked halftracks.

Once there she would run right past Harm and Phaedra over to one of the walls. She then fell to her knees and threw up.on the ground, not even noticing that her data jockey had fallen out of her pocket in the process.

"Don't worry I'm getting back to work." She said as she shakily got back up and headed back to the lift.

Laura sighed. She had told the Marine what to do. She had been relying on this Marine to provide the aid she had said she was here to provide. Grumbling, she almost connected the wrong nerve to the device. "Bastard!" she yelled absently, catching her mistake. The junker happily injected more medical nano. Oops But then, not like too much medical nano was a bad thing.

Slowly, laboriously, she connected the last nerve tissue and checked to make sure all the nerves had grafted to the muscle. This was a little above her training. But then, the most brilliant medic in the Marine Corps would certainly be able to cope with a little improvisation like this.

With a deliberate slowness, she placed the whole set up into the eye socket, making sure that it was snug. Then she began the next process of stitching up the eye and grafting new skin. That was relatively quick and simple.

"Right, you unconscious bastard," the junker injected again, "stay there. You," she pointed at the junker cleaning the tools, "Make sure he doesn't leave the operating table unless I say he can."

Now to deal with the rogue Marine. She took the elevator up, and marched, stomped really, past Avel and Phaedra. "I'll deal with you in a minute," she muttered to the two as she flashed past, the physical incarnation of anger. The stress from the operation and dealing with so many Marines at once was about to come out onto the unsuspecting ... patient.

In one moment, the anger vanished, replaced with her professional (and deeply ingrained personal) need to heal. Or at the very least, bring up to a level that she felt morally comfortable knocking down. "You look like shit. Sit down next to that one over there," Laura said, "Be with you in a second."

She did a quick walk around to check on the other pilots. She noticed some bile against the wall and a datajockey. She picked it up and began skimming it to see what it was about and whose it was.

Matteo had taken to silently standing off to the side, leaning against a wall. There wasn't anything of particular urgency at the moment anyways. The Cat was tending to Sleeping Beauty, and Avel was helping the new Medic with Cedric. That left him to loaf around until there was something more pressing to do. 'Or maybe I didn't hear something?' he wondered. His brief musing was brought to a sudden stop when Avel had moved to throw up; most likely from the sight of the mess the unfortunate other was in.

"C'mon Avel, you don't have to do help with the blood-work if you're uneasy about it." He spoke up, moving to take her place. "I've seen plenty of gang-bangers cave in someone's head with a crowbar without a thought but break when brought to a hospital."

"It's no biggie." he went on, then offering his help to Laura.

As Cedric woke up, he felt a dull throbbing in his head. He was at a total loss. Why did his head hurt? Where was he? What was going on with his . . . eye? It all suddenly came back to him. The Squid back on the mono-rail, the explosion of the barrel getting thrown at him, and then the nose-cannon from the Mishu Shock Trooper glancing off of his helmet. Cedric reached up, placing his hand on his forehead in a useless attempt to quell his throbbing headache.

"Leavin' me here without telling me what's going on." Cedric grumbled, "Bastards."

He was promptly stabbed in the arm by an over-enthusiastic junker drone.

"What the hell?!" He exclaimed.

Batting the Junker drone's tentacle away, Cedric sat all the way up. He swung himself over so his feet were off the edge, and his boots were lightly touching the ground. It was then that he suddenly noticed something about his sight: he had it back in both eyes. What was that about? He could specifically remember being totally blind before he passed out . . . or could he?

Cedric, unaware of the drones' orders, stood up from the bed, and had to steady himself as he was hit by a vicious head-ache.

"I should find the others . . . see what our superiors have in stock." Cedric groaned, "Because I feel soooo wonderful right now." He groused, "Not to mention some chow and a mirror." He added as an after-thought.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back