• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: ISC Phoenix [Mission 1] - Feel the Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bronzi was already a ways up the road and had been in ear shot of Luca. When he spotted the girl he pointed out to Enzo. "Found yer a date." Bronzi snorted as he began casually approaching.

"Hey princess!" He called out with his gruff voice as he walked to intercept her. "Can we have a word?"

Enzo was quick to follow suit with Bronzi, since he and the blue one had exchanged racial slurs they seemed to be birds somewhat of a feather

"Yeah, hows about a woid-a-twos, see?" Enzo called, tilting his bush-hat back to reveal his eyes. The cigarette smoke wavered in the wind before Enzo tossed a glance at Bronzi, then Zeta and Makari approaching. After a quick moment deciding she was ignoring them, he said, "C'mon Red, I don't think she wants to talks to me in front of all my friends. Less follow her somewheres more private-like, yeah?"

A black Hovercar made a quiet appearance behind the group as it slowed down behind, coming to a stop close to the last few members. Parking itself at the side of the road, one of the young woman who'd been at the bar a week prior exited the vehicle and walked up toward the group.

"Sorry I'm late" she muttered "Had some trouble finding everything I needed this morning," she explained, shrugging a bit and trying to act as if she was part of the group, despite having had minimal interaction with any of them. In fact, none of them but possibly Luca would have known that she had joined the group. However, her appearance made it clear now that she had.

"Oh, I'm Ellen, by the way" she introduced herself, waving at anyone who cared- obviously those closer to the pink-haired girl up ahead wouldn't hear even if they saw her from where they were.

From atop the stilled bus, Vitalia looked down at the approaching black sports car. Eventually, she flicked the stub of her cigarette into the decrepit town dust, and looked up at the empty sky. Pushing her hood back and fluidly unzipping her sweatshirt, Vitalia found her feet, combat boots planted on the surface that would soon become sun-warm. No wind moved against her skin; sooner or later, she would probably shed the jacket, too.

Hands in her pockets, Vitalia walked to the edge of the bus, gauged the distance, then hopped down into the road in front of the black vehicle.

She watched Ellen for a few pale, strained moments, weighing the girl as well. Although Vitalia could not put her finger on why, a faint warning bell in the back of her mind made it feel as though her hackles were on the rise. The sound of Ellen's voice made Vitalia feel hairy, even if the girl herself could not in any sense of the word be considered imposing.

But there was something else.

Vitalia shrugged it away.

"Cool car."

"Luca, I'm gonna poke about! See what kind of tipsy-turnover shenanigans have been going on at the docks! First place to look for poison's the food, yanno?"

Seiren happily skipped off, passing straight through the town center and towards the docks to see the where all the fish came from. He made sure to load his pistols beforehand. Always paid to be prepared.

Ellen looked Vita up and down after her compliment, returning it with a bit of a nod.

"Thanks."

Something in the back of her head, perhaps the other occupant of her brain, seemed to be annoyed, but Ellen ignored her, not noticing that the compliment may not have actually been such.

she walked in to join the group, watching as they began to split up into smaller groups to investigate different things. Ellen, however, though it sort of slow to search an entire town solely by foot- even riding a bicycle would have been better for that job.

"I could probably pile a couple people into the car to get us to the other side of town quicker, if we need to," she suggested.

Vita paced around Ellen's car.

Actually, come to think of it, Vita realized this car might have been the first she had seen in Sargasso without wheels. Curious, she dipped down and checked beneath the chassis, and smiled a little when she saw the soft luminescence of the anti-gravity coils at work. They felt familiar in an intrinsic way.

She stood back up and cupped her hands. "Hey! Dad! You care if I go?"

Luca looked at Ellen, then looked back to Vita. Something struck him and a frown crossed his face for a moment, it was that moment that every father dreaded when his daughter wanted to go out and get into a car with a stranger. He remembered what he told Aerin - and this was almost double-backing on it.

But it wasn't Aerin he was looking at, it was Ellen. A sixteen year old girl caught in the middle of all this and being the host for a woman close to being tipped over the edge by her life's problems - but not falling over it like Luca once did.

"Just be safe," Luca replied. "We're in a different town and all. Hopefully this'll all be over by the end of the day."

He then looked over to Ellen to honour her offer. "Thanks, but I'll probably use my motorcycle, it should be arriving..." Luca bent his head down to look at his watch and he could hear a roar over in the distance. A grin crept across his face as he looked over the horizon. "Now."

It was one of those little modern niceties that came with having too much spare time on your hands, access to a lot of money (ill gotten and legitimate), and a workbench with plenty of room to test. The motorcycle was driving itself across the road, and eventually came to a stop next to Luca, lowering a middle-kickstand and waiting patiently for its owner.

It was his Durandium Steed, his Getaway Vehicle and one of those prides and joys that every father had to have aside from their children. Fortunately, both he and his daughter were able to enjoy this vehicle on the weekends together once upon a time. He gave the chunky looking, hybrid Nepleslian/Yamataian motorcycle a pat before mounting it. He cooed at it and throttled the engine while it was in neutral. "Anyone wanna hop on? Room for two!" He yelled.

-

The 'princess was lost in thought. It wasn't quite Bronzi's words that got her attention, it was the smell. She raised an eyebrow and took off one of the earbud earphones before hearing the second sentence, turning around and pausing, mid turn. She'd seen Gartagens before in passing, but this one was ... different. Too fat, and overgrown.

She huffed for a little, having been interrupted at the best part of the song and asked: "Who wants to know?" in accented Trade. Her eyes then wandered towards Enzo. She rolled her eyes indignantly at the rouge and bit down angrily. Upon closer inspection, her bodytight suit wasn't done up all the way, it was unzipped down to the navel, and there seemed to be a large calibre handgun nestled in the V her suit was making, that was being previously concealed by her jacket.

"L-listen, if you want it, come and get it - if you can outrun Mr. point-five-oh!" Obviously, the proceedings had gotten off on the wrong boot and she thought the two louts were going to look for more than just a word. They just didn't look the type for diplomacy. She then spotted the others who'd just fallen in next to them.

Another Nepleslian who didn't look like he'd fallen out of the ugly tree and bought the whole thing with him, built a house out of it and raised a family of ugly in it - in her words, and a Nepleslian woman whose arm looked as though it could be used as a substitute for a sledge hammer, should push come to shove.

She then remained still and gave the quartet an upwards nod while remaining in a defensive stance, hand quivering next to her pistol. "C'mon. O-out with it then, gaijin yonbaka."

-

Seiren, meanwhile found himself with salt in the air and a nip in the breeze, making him shiver and shuffle his gear around for warmth. The walk there had been more comforting than his destination. Along the way he saw some sights such as a man standing in front of a statue of a sphere and contemplating it endlessly - ignoring Seiren's presence entirely.

Another sight he saw was a convenience store with an older looking Yamataian woman standing at the counter, completely oblivious to the fact that most of the contents of her store had been emptied.

And then, at the docks, Seiren saw who could've been the culprits - three younger looking Yamataian boys and a girl. The pockets of their sweaters and pants were filled to the brim with confection. These weren't criminals, these were kids in a candy store. There was a missing element though. If you had all the candy and not a care in the world, you'd eat it and jump around all night.

These kids were doing neither. One kid in a red sweater was lying face down on the ground and moaning slightly. He rolled over and confection fell out of his pocket. He barely paid it heed. Meanwhile, the two other boys were counting on their fingers, stopping, stumbling and occasionally garbling their words.

Their panic begun to rise as they tried to remember but kept finding blanks in their memory. Ichi, Ni, San, Yon, Go ... Go ... Another ... that's how it was supposed to go - wasn't it? They kept on starting again.

The girl was curled up against the wall, her knees were against her chest and her head rested upon her knees. She seemed to be sobbing quietly to herself.

These weren't even kids any more. They looked as though they'd been broken. Seiren couldn't see any physical marks from where he was standing though, which made the turning in his stomach worse. It was something in the mind - the very thing that made you breathe, made your heart beat and made you aware of what you were doing.

And it was betraying these kids today, just like it was with the rest of the city. The problem was just figuring out what it was causing this.

Bronzi remained relaxed, or as relaxed as he could considering he just had a very large gun flashed in his direction. Bronzi's hand reached up and removed the Cigar from his lips and he exhaled another plume of smoke. He shouldered his shot gun in an effort to diffuse the situation.

"Relax. If we wanted ta take ya down, we would not be havin this talk." He said calmly.

"Were fixin on checkin this place out...wondering what happened or if you'd seen any weird shit." Bronzi said advancing in closer.

It was an old trick his people had taught him. The Synthetics and pink skins were quick to shoot. Gartagen biology was hardy and robust, so if she did draw down he could move in and take her apart before the gun shot either got off, or hit him.

The appearance of the spectacle was something else. The girl was in her right to be alarmed. She was looking at a heavily armed Gartagen and a Nepleslian...if anything they could be mistaken for a raiding party.

Bronzi paused. "Eh...I won't lie, i'd have probably started shootin at us by now. Fug it, if ya wanna have a go girly we can have a go.." Bronzi said as his right hang reached down and caressed the grip of the revolver that was resting on his right hip.

Makari smirked at both the young girl and Bronzi's attempt at "negotiation" through threating to shoot first and ask questions later. Mind you, he was of the same mindset when he was a bounty hunter. However, now off the job it seemed like a poor thing to do. Makari brought his free hand slowly up in a friendly wave, "Hey, why don't we all just stop flashing our pieces like we're a bunch of meatheads doing an 'in-bathroom comparison' contest and have a little chat like the civilized individuals we are?"

He relaxed his waving hand back down to his side and lowered his shotgun into a quick draw position beneath his leather coat.

Bronzi let out a grunt in response to Makari's statement. "I see what yer doin kid, so get ta doin it."

Bronzi had not drawn down on the girl yet, but he was ready to if she flinched wrong. To be fair the girl did gesture first. If anything, Bronzi was showing great restraint.

Bronzi backed up, and relaxed his hand a bit allowing Makari to do the talking.

"Uh, Luca? You remember that part about the town being weird? What I've got down here is jumbonomically weird. Kids raided a candy shop, but didn't eat the candy! I mean, uh. . . there's more than that, but that's just. . . what kid raids a candy shop, but then doesn't eat the candy? it's like they robbed the store, THEN got sick. Question is, how the heck does that work? Kids don't stop for meals in between nicking things and enjoying things, so I think this rules out the food supply being contaminated with something short-term. I'm gonna give some of these people a closer look," Serien rambled over radio, his stomach turning a little from all the. . . bizarre habits each of the nearby inhabitants was displaying. He pocketed the candy that the sweatered kid dropped, reminding himself to check it out later more closely. In the meantime, he walked over to the crying girl and stooped down.

"Hey, you alright?" He asked, poking her in the knee lightly.

"Listen, lady, guys," Enzo piped up. He had gotten bored, most unfortunately, and so stepped forward from behind Makari and Bronzi; removing his hat with one hand while the other drifted out-- giving the conman a look of open arms, "This don't gots to be so complicated."

Enzo smiled at the girl, something she only saw for a split second before his hat came down and wrapped against her face. Almost fluidly, with the same motion, Enzo whipped the pistol out of the front of her jumpsuit and pressed it up against her chest with his other hand still pressing the hat down over her face.

"Like the big guy said; If we was gonna kills ya, you'd be dead already-- so stop actin' tough an' spills it, Princess."

Ellen shrugged, trying to hide how impressed she was by Luca's motorcycle driving itself to him- she knew the hovercar could do the same thing, but seeing a two-wheeler do it was unexpected. still, Ellen wasn't exactly happy with having to stick around the man, and shrugging it off and keeping a straight face was the best she could do.

"Well, I guess that means hop in" Ellen responded to Vita, making her own way back to the hovercar and starting it up, ready to follow Luca as soon as he headed out toward the other end of town.

A millisecond behind Enzo, Bronzi had his arm out stretched over Enzo. The Barrel of his large Gauss Revolver was in the girl's face. Bronzi let out another plume of smoke and grumbled softly. "Please...reach fer ya gun."

Bronzi maneuvered to Enzo's right, and came in closer to the girl. His freehand came in and snatched up her pistol.

"Diplomacy, I love it."

Zeta shook her head, her hands on her hips. "Men," she said and sighed walking a little closer. Everything is a pissing match for them. Like a kids, fighting who can do the thing better. Right now it was an intimidation. At least Makari seemed like a decent fellow.

"If you two wankers are done with trying to intimidate the girl, we might actually give her some room to speak." Zeta walked few more steps forward. "Now girl, your pistol won't get through my armour, so even if you shoot that blue bugger, you can't shoot me. Plus I draw guns very fast so let's stop pointing guns and start talking."

Makari had tried to resolve this peacefully, but that did not seem possible now unless the young girl obeyed Zeta...which seemed likely as there were now two guns in her face. "Well, it seems like you folks have this little question session under control, I'll keep an eye out for suspicious things.'

Well, Bronzi would've taken the pistol from her - if she'd let him. As the Gartagen reached out with arm and stench alike, she took a sidestep and had her back to Bronzi, looking over her shoulder and grinning a catlike grin. She then stood face to face with him again and let him take it and pass it to Zeta, and then she leaned in. "You're a big blue meanie, know that?"

And then Zeta noticed something about the Pistol, it started to feel light in her hands. She was watching the girl, but then she looked down at the pistol and examined at it. She didn't recognise the brand, make or model at all. It looked like the creation of an artist - it had all the looks, but none of the real functionality. And then it decided, yes, decided to erupt a triangular burst of light, as though a 3D model had decided to explode into its base triangles.

It didn't harm her in the least, in fact it felt kinda tingly as each triangle bounced off of her skin and into the air before fading out completely. "I'll tell you this because I like you." Zeta could hear the girl's voice in her ear, but saw nobody beside her - and the girl was still in front of Bronzi and grinning, "I'm bored, the friends I bought with me are all going braindead one by one, and I'm getting lonely. I thought it'd be more fun here once I heard I could do anything I wanted here."

She then sighed in Zeta's ear. "I don't know what's causing it, and I think I'm immune because, well, you'll see in a moment." "I hope you can figure it out. I want my friends back." She then looked over again, and saw a face framed by a pair of pink cat ears for the briefest of moments, smiling at her before disappearing from sight.

Meanwhile, in front of Bronzi, the girl he was looking at shattered into a million pieces of volumetric glass in front of him, each bounced off his skin and armour, feeling like a warm bug had landed on his skin for a brief moment each time before fading away. The girl was nowhere to be seen now.

During this, Melissa was setting up a sniping perch and looking out from the tallest place she could find, watching the proceedings. She took her eye off of the scope at what she saw and fiddled with the radio: "Oi did you just diplomacy 'er, Bronzi?"

-

Getting a closer look, Seiren could see that the girl was crying for quite a while. Her jumper was dotted with wet patches, and her face was wet with tears. "I can't remember my name. I can't remember my name..." She could be heard muttering in fluent Yamatai-Go.

She then looked over to Seiren, babylike and startled by the new stimulus. Her eyes were red, having cried for so long. She sniffed a little to get the snot out of her sinuses and coughed. "It only started a couple of days ago. I thought things would be better. I saw my friends... Taro... and ... and Ya ... Yama... ah..." She buried her head against her knees again. "I can't remember."

She whimpered for a few moments before continuing, "Aoi said she could try and help us... make sense of what was happening... b-but I can't remember her face..."

She then looked up at Seiren, "Can you help her? I think... She's got pink hair, and... and..." She then tapped her head against her knees, unable to remember the other details about this girl.

"Wait, pink-haired? Hang on a sec-and here," Seiren said, pulling a portable pack of tissues and handing it to the girl. With his other hand, he pulled out his comms device and spoke.

"Hey, uh. . . Zeta? You still with that strange girl? I found somebody who might know her, but she's been affected by whatever's in this town," He asked, glancing down to the Yamataian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back