Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: YSS Miharu Mission 1 "REAR GUARD", Day 5

"Claymere-Juni, you seem to have a misconception. I will clear it up." Miharu spoke up again. "In the HS tanks, if I create a body based on your genetic material, it ends up being nonetheless made with femtomachines and hemosynthetics. There would be very little difference between a recreation of your body with no adjustments, or with added geshrin or yamataian qualities - one way or the other, it would still be an artificially reconstructed body... wether we leave in what you name imperfections or not."

A volumetric window appeared in front of the tactical officer, showing a diagram which showed a simulation of his body being reconstructed. It was somewhat odd to see under two seconds a skeleton appear and the fill out with internal organs nerves, muscles, skin and hair to finally make a standing model of him which began to slowly rotate - the model was also naked and thus leaving little to the imagination of the onlookers. A second body appeared next to the other one and went over the same process.

The first was labeled 'Nepleslian model' and the other 'Yamataian model'.

"Both bodies end up being based on the same nepleslian genetic material that you have yourself, except the yamataian body adds some qualities that the other body does not have. Some of those abilities are innate and never really come to be noticed, such as the resistance to disease and the faster healing. Many yamataians do not use their ability to slightly manipulate gravity and float around simply due to their civilian lifestyle. The operation system included in the brain to access certain functions from telepathy to the anti-gravity is likely not so different than your own cybernetic modules. Many of the abilities that yamataian body has are intuitive and as easy to pickup as swimming and bicycling - once you learn how to, it becomes second nature."

"The point I am trying to make, Claymere-Juni, is that even if you die, I cannot recreate your original and unique nepleslian body anymore than a clone vat on Nepleslia can because there can only be one original. What I can do is grant you another life and create a body which will be identical to the one you had before. It will feel like you, it will be - as far as you will be able to figure - your own person. The question will be if I recreate it without the yamataian qualities or with them... but it still remains as much you as I can make you - you may come to be a little stronger and have a better health overall... but those things aren't really things you experience; you just are. Although it may not be as necessary to add cybernetic components, we could also certainly include them in the yamataian body if you so prefered."

"I make the precision so to educate you in the matter since many nepleslians whom switched bodies also experienced them. The apprehensions about body transfer is often blown out of proportion, which is very odd seeing Nepleslia's own use of clone vats. Besides, if you should expire and die... the sentimentality for your own body becomes pretty much irrelevant, doesn't it? It becomes a choice between accepting to life on with the memories you left behind in a new artificially created body... or remaining dead. If the Star Army of Yamatai grants you another chance at life, why not accept using the bodytype they recommend to you since it won't make all that much of a difference anyways?"

"I was going to respond, but MEGAMI covered most of my points," Miyoko added, her voice strained slightly as she slid Asher's 'old' body into the hemosynth tank. When I said to turn your heads, she reflected, just slightly annoyed, I didn't say that you couldn't still give me a hand! So much for chivalry... Asher was half a foot taller than her and easily half again her weight; even with her enhanced strength, moving him around wasn't exactly easy.

But, now both bodies were in place and her work was done. After giving the orders for the two machines to begin their respective duties, Miyoko returned to her relaxed position leaning on the table.

Masako blinked for a moment in surprise as she turned her head to look up at Rei as she greeted her. "Oh, Hello Ito-Hei," Masako replied with a polite nod of her head. "I guess I should have asked the MEGAMI where you were before chiming in at your quarters," the short neko replied sheepishly.

"I noticed you were assigned to the quarters right next to mine and since you were new aboard the Miharu, I thought I'd come by to say 'welcome aboard' in a more friendly manner. It would just seem rude if all you received was a small hello during the briefing," the raven-haired warrant officer explained.

Nyton listened to the Miharu's explanation while Miyoko struggled to carry Asher's body. "I thought I said the same thing just not as technical. I understand that a new body would not be the original me. No more the same then say if I had a clone made that was running around next to me. We would both be of the same conclusion that the clone is not the original me. So if this body dies and a new one is made it is still not my original no matter what it is made from. What I debate is whether or not my soul will return to inhabit the new body or not. Mind you if I'm dead and my soul does not return then I doubt that I wil be in any position to be concerned. But on the chance that my soul really does return to a new body then it would work regardless of what body I use to return to." he said. Nyton then paused and looked at the machinery. "The only thing I was not certain of was whether or not I could have cybernetics attached to a new Yamataian body version. I didn't know if the advanced healing and disease resistance would cause the body to reject the cybernetic implants."

"I guess you should just try and take whatever measures are necessary to preserve my life in my current body but if I do die then I would like to have a Nepleslian body created first. If my soul returns then great I'm there and the technology works. With that proven to me I will then be less apprehensive towards having a Yamataian body made and transferred into one of those but I do intend on taking advantage of both worlds and adding cybernetics to it. If it doesn't work and this 'me' is just a copy of me with all my memories then this 'me' will accept moving into a Yamataian body. So the result will still be the same. That being said however I intend on fighting as hard as I can to continue to survive in this body." Nyton concluded.

"That makes sense," MEGAMI replied, though Nyton could swear the Miharu was amused. "But then, if transferring you to an unaugmented human body on your demise would convince you of the feasibility of soul transfer and thus lead you to consider the transfer to a yamataian, why not just have you revived into a yamataian body since it would accomplish both goals at the same time and prevent the waste of a sentient creature?"

The computer paused. "I'm sorry, that may have sounded a little creepy. What I am getting at is that sentimentality to one's body can happen over and over again like a vicious circle. You might remain unwilling to transfer again for the very same reason as... people are loathe to immerse themselves in cold water."

"Another thing you may wish to consider is the function inherent to a Soul Transfer device. Bear in mind that yamataians are not very religious, so, this is going to sound very technical: the essence of your soul is essentially the electrical currents activity within your nervous system. When undergoing the ST backup procedure, we take a picture of the neural map and keep it in store so that in the event of a person's death, the neural map could be emulated in a new body imprinted with it."

"This, obviously, would be a duplicate... but whom would have your exact same memories as to the point when the ST backup device was used on him. It would be easy for the individual to know that he is a cloned replicate... but since every clone has a desire to live and that the original is gone and that there is a vacuum which can be readily filled... most take it in stride."

"The soul transfer procedure, however, functions differently. Most people assume that what is used is the image capture to then imprint it in the artificially constructed body and then eliminate the original body to avoid having two of the same individuals walking around. While this is possible, that isn't quite true. The Elysians, whom originally designed the Soul Transfer device, were also concerned in the preservation of their 'souls' and beat that particular problem to death - the Nepleslians whom used the same technology to transfer to the geshrin bodies also had the same fears and researched."

"In fact, the soul transfer procedure is far less draconian than what most people imagine. The device essentially creates a bridge between the neural network of the original body and the newly bio-engineered and then coaxes the neural imprint out of the donor body and through the bridge and then closes the passage. The displaced electrical impulses, still in a familiar - and yet different - environment, adjust and continue their activity. With the neural activity of the donor body effectively stolen, this results in the death of the vacated organic tissue. The person that wakes up in the new body can so be proven to be the same individual."

"Ah!" Rei flushed in embarrassment at having addressed a superior officer so casually. "You didn't have to, ma'am. I mean, come and greet me and all. It's alright, really..."

Trying not to look too nervous, Rei desperately tried to find something - anything - in the hallway to look at before she started babbling.

Masako tilted her head slightly in confusion at Rei's posture and body language. "What's the matter," she began only to blink and rerun what happened through her mind. Oh...I see. She must be shy, Masako thought, though not necessarily right about this.

"Please, don't worry about it," Masako replied with a gentle smile. "Even though I don't have to come by and greet you, the fact of the matter is I wanted to do it," the neko explained as her pitch-black eyes looked directly into Rei's.

"From what I've heard, you've just come aboard. It must be tough that you are being thrown head first into a mission already," the young woman said. "So I just wanted to come by and see how you were doing as well as make a proper greeting."

Nyton nodded and shook his head as he listened to the explanation being expanded for him. The fact that the computer would be concerned about having sounded morbid was amusing and he took it as just part of the system becoming more adjusted to the crew.

"What you say all makes sense, I can understand and grasp the concept but there is still the philosophical argument regarding the intangible essence of a soul. An individual who has been revived and given the imprint of their memories up until the moment of the ST has those memories. But what happens to the essence of the one who fell in battle? The memories that person has are then lost because the ST does not have that data stored. So then what of the experiences that person felt up until they died? If I wasn't open to the concept of ST I would not be so determined to have my memory backup salvaged so that I can remember how I died. However at the same time what of the soul of the person residing in the body? Do they just dissipate into nothingness or do they wander a while before finding the new familiar body and enter that thereby residing in this world of matter again? Is there something beyond this world that we see and hear and touch? If we are just electrical impulses generated by the map of our brains then we may as well be no different than any other AI. Those who are born through gestation and those who are born through creation be it a genetics lab or a factory are no different then. Or do we all through the process of creation begin to gestate a soul as well as existance?"

Nyton just shrugged and smiled. "I guess the argument is there but we can never know for sure." Nyton wanted to continue but then another thought came to him. "Just out of curiousity, has there ever been any recorded incident of someone attempting my experiment? That is to have their memory unit recovered and downloaded into the new body so they can know first hand what it feels like to die?" he then asked.

"I would not be surprised if it had been done before, though I have nothing in my database that would indicate such. I would need access to the PANTHEON to run a more in-dept search;" Miharu replied.

"To return to your speculations, though, yamataian culture generally takes the stance that there is no afterlife and all the talk about having souls which subsists beyond a body after death is merely a fantasy some like to indulge in to help cope with their sense of mortality - with the inability to accept that once one's life would be snuffed out that there would be nothing else for that person but oblivion."

"That brings up an interesting element though: what survives us? Even I, as a warship, must face up with the likely event that I would be destroyed in combat. Once I am gone... what is left of me? Sprites, shuttles, the Hoshi... all of those could be considered my offsprings in a certain way and this translated well with organics as well as they transfer a part of themselves to make a new living being which will typically survive beyond the lifespan of the parent. In the same regard, even if I would disappear, I would survive in a way by how people would remember me - as long as other people remembered me and what I have done, what I have accomplished and thus - if you follow the 'memory is life' philosophy - then in a sense I never truly disappear."

Nyton found himself enjoying this philosophical discussion. It had been some time since his last one and he felt that his studies had grown stale without anyone to debate with. "The existance of an afterlife seems just as likely a possibility as any theory. If interdimensional travel is possible then why would there not be a plane wherein life on a different scale exists? Many cultures over the millenia have believed and handed down a belief in an existance beyond what we see. Even today there have been 'rumors' that people with extraordinary psionic skills would be able to cohese and communicate with the living after they have died. Let a few hundred years add to the story and you have a legend. But seriously, memories are not infallible either. A person's experience, even when they lived it themselves, can be reviewed differently at a later point in their life."

Nyton took a moment to think back on moments of his life. "Even a recorded event can be distorted given enough time. I have looked back at moments where I can actually find myself uncertain of how an event transpired and find myself actually at odds with what my recorded database reveals to me. Even old texts and manuscripts I have studied can be full of conflicting data, not to mention the mountains of data we have amassed today. It is easy to get lost in that mountain and then with a mountain of other data also clammoring for verification and accuracy, it is easy to have it become distorted even with all the power we have at hand. We may as well be back where humans first started out when they originally developed the written word to record things."

Nyton then shook his head. "I don't mean to go off topic. Accurate record keeping wasn't the topic. You proposed that if one believes that memory is life they could live on and I was just arguing the flaws in depending on memory. To me there has to be something more than just how other people remember you. What of the unknown billions who pass out of existence without a speck of record or recollection? Should we say they too did not exist? Worlds that have been swallowed up by a supernova before they could escape it's grasp or civilizations that lost their entire record of existance. Did they live or were they just dreams of a living galaxy, meant only as a glimmer of an afterthought that one carelessly dismisses?" he said wistfully. "People have lived for a long time trying to answer this question. Some willingly discard the possibility of afterlife, some cling to is as though it were their only hope for continued existance. I don't find it my place to judge really. I just feel that there is more to this than what we see and know. Just like when we learn something new that exists, so too do I feel that the discovery of a hereafter will cause a ripple in humanity. Or maybe the discovery was already made and it exists in our hearts? Perhaps the universe is merciful enough to allow us to exist whereever it is that we truly believe we will go when we die. I'm certain the universe is big enough to accomodate everyone in whatever personal heaven or hell they believe in."

With a chuckle Nyton then grinned and looked up at the ceiling as though he were addressing the ship directly. "Personally I think there is some plane that we could call the 'afterlife' but that whatever goes on there cannot be fathomed or even communicated properly in this world. If our soul really does return from said world and enters a new body with it's familiar electrical mapping that beckon it to continue living here it can neither remember nor speak of what occurred while it was away. In fact because it cannot exist in this world without the body then the memories that it had up until the moment of it's death are lost because it cannot bring them with it to the new existance that awaits it. I don't think people would be able to be at peace if they brought all the baggage of life with them to the next world. But because it sheds the memories that is why when the soul enters the new body it cannot remember what it did since the last back up. The true essence of who we are does not exist in the electrical make up of our brains neurons. It is that intangible 'soul' that merely inhabits the body for as long as it can until this body expires. That is what lives on even when our memories are lost to us."

Nyton then looked around him to the other occupants. "At least that's my theory. And a theory like that is not one I want to test out lightly so like I said, my next body upon revival will be another Nepleslian one. Just to give my soul a little practice at returning to this plane." he said with a laugh.

Whoa, what tha' fuh-...

Asher's consciousness slowly came too, his thoughts interrupted by the sudden brain rush. His eyes opening only slightly, then closing again.

I swear ta' any fuckin' diety thass' out there, I'm neva' gunna' get used ta' this shit... My brain... feel's like a fuck nut... whatever the fuck that is...

His mind began to drift to the previous experience of his last soul transfer.

This feels like befo'... But this time I can't get all my ink back and this... feels... so weird. My old body felt just like tha' new one befo', this one tho'... I feel...

Tight?

No... Thass' juss' stupid, but I do feel limited, as if I'm missin' somethin'. Maybe it's tha' height change, didn' think it would be much...

His eyes stayed closed, for one, he wasn't sure if he wanted to open them or not. Among other things, Asher could begin to hear the Tactical Officer's voice, and the voice of the MEGAMI.

Hey... Yeah... The job... I wonder how long this took.

He sniffed, just a singular sniff, as if to recover from ones own sinuses'.

Leutre found himself growing bored at the long dialog between Nyton and MEGAMI. Why does he always have to be such an ass? He rolled his eyes. Looking around the room his eyes wandered over Miyoko who was leaning up against the table. He was about to say something, when out of the corner of his eye he noticed Asher's face twitch.

Leutre quickly moved over to the table when he saw Asher beginning to stir. Grinning like he an idiot, he lowered his face until it was just inches away from Asher's. In an eerie singsong voiced he rasped, "Dead and back, Deadman. How was the darkness?"

"Well..." Miharu paused while Leutre spoke and continued, "What is your description of a Nepleslian body then, Juni? What does it take for a body to be good enough for a Nepleslian? The way I see it, it just sounds like a slice of pizza with no topping, cookies without chocolate chips or you asking for a hamburger and only want to eat the bread."

"Maybe it's just a case of me being unable to understand your point of view, but if you die in your first hamburger... would it be so bad as to put some relish and mustard in your next one? If your sole requirement is for the meat to be 100% beef, then, both hamburgers would be okay - am I wrong?"

<center>* * *</center>

Ichigo, the closest of the two sprites, lifted her head from her work at Tom's claim that there was food waiting. After a brief look to Nimura whom was farther away working on unravelling a bad case of tangled wire, Ichigo turned back to Tom, rising from her work to bow.

"Thank you very much Heisho. May we temporarely retire to eat?" She said respectfully, looking down at the floor.

Miyoko lightly pushed Leutre away from the alcove, half-playfully. "Don't traumatize crew members. I think I'm the closest thing onboard to a psychiatrist, so it's just more work for me." Turning toward Asher, she added, "Westwood-hei, I left your clothes by the foot of the bed," and pulled the curtain closed to give the man some privacy.

Holy Shit! I think almoss' shit myself!

Asher's body chilled with Leutre's sudden statement, but he continued to just lie there, under the Nepleslian's hovering head. He didn't respond for a moment, he was trying to think of a witty comeback for that last remark. All the time still keeping his eyes closed, and his body unmoving.

"Well Lou, if ya keep doin' shit like that, I might get tha' chance ta' go back take a picture of tha' place." Asher finally responded, before realising he was still speaking the open dialect.

He heard Miyoko speak about his clothes being at the foot of his bed, and then the curtain sliding to divide the Yamataian from the rest of them. The shorter yet still broad shouldered Power Arm opened one eye, and looked around.

Heh... Eh... Wass' worried 'bout nothin'.

Asher stumbled to his feet, finally beginning to get used to his new height. He looked himself over, he was squeaky clean, literally. He flexed his muscles.

Alright, tha' arms' is' as muscly as ever...

He bounced up and down on his toes.

Balance an' leg strength's good.

He moved his fingers, and his toes around in different direction.

Finga's and Toe's doin' good.

He checked with Pvt. Parts, to see if he was doing fine.

Heh Heh, keep up tha' good work soldier.

At this point, the Yamataian decided to finally dress himself. The fit was a little loose, which would probably be fixed later. He straightened himself, put up a straight back, and fixed his hair to the natural ruffling direction. The shorter Yamataian opened the curtain, and presented himself.

"The body seems to be a fine fi-..." He stopped and paused, suddenly realising how much taller everyone was too him now...

"No problem!" Tom walked over and took place at the Fold Drive.

"You don't need to treat me with all this formality while we're down here. The last thing we need is to be tripping over protocol while there's an engine collapse going on down here. Call me Tom unless we're in the presence of superiors... or you end up getting reprimanded by me."

He muffled chuckling coming from his helmet fogged his visor a little.

"Go eat. I'll need you back here to finish up this baby."

With that, he turned his head away from the two and continued working on the system.

Wire here, wire there. Wire here, wire there.

Nyton heard the commotion over Asher while the MIHARU continued her debate. He raised a hand as a gesture of greeting towards Asher but had not turned to mob him like Leutre. "Welcome back to the land of the concious, Asher. Take some time to get used to seeing the world from a new perspective." he quipped.

Before anything else could distract him he then went on to look 'up' at the MIHARU with a silent wish that there was some direct interface he could address without getting a crick in his neck. It's not that he couldn't just look straight but it was a sort of habit now. "A body that is 'good enough' to be Nepleslian? You ask this of a man whose race constantly throws away it's naturally grown pieces and replaces them with metallic ones. A body that is good enough is one that can be used regardless of the material. Let me elaborate on another issue first. Nepleslians are conceived and gestated then given birth through the mother. A Yamataian body is capable of doing the same thing. Because the female to male ratio of natural born Nepleslians is so uneven many a Nepleslian will mate with a Geshrin or Yamataian regardless so the means of birth really isn't much of an argument for a 'true' Nepleslian anymore. With all the mutations and cross breeding that has gone on you could say we're not even really a race anymore. To make such a narrow demand as means of birth to be the only factor in what is human would be to call all other beings inhuman or soulless. After studying humanity in all it's bloody glory we have many times thrown away our own soul by our actions. In contrast, those who would then be considered soulless by such conditions have displayed more soul than those who were born via gestation. Having a soul is not something Nepleslians have a monopoly on. I think somewhere along the line a soul resides in all living things."

Nyton paused to shift a little before he continued. "Being Nepleslian is more a state of mind then a matter of genetics. That is what compels a Nepleslian to try and survive in their original body at all costs." he explained.

"Take my grandfather for example. He is a full conversion cyborg. About the only thing left of him that remains of his original body is a little bit of brain matter. Even that is almost negligible since he has had to have a lot of that replaced with circuitry to maintain his motor functions. He could very well not be considered human or even alive anymore but he is just as alive and sentient to me as Leutre or myself. He could have easily had his original body grown and made out of femtomachines and just transferred there but he preferred to make his original body continue to survive even if all that is left to preserve is a few inches of grey matter. He may not speak for all Nepleslians but for a good majority, that is how we make ourselves survive." Nyton continued.

"Unfortunately this is also why so many a Nepleslian saw the edict to convert to a Yamataian with such hostility. Even I had to choke down a good bit of venom. I think many Nepleslians would have no problem being restored but only if their original bodies were given enough of a chance to survive rather than be tossed aside. Many of us know that if we die and are restored then the new body would not be our original one. But at least we were given a fighting chance to die in our own skin first. That is what we are and I think a lack of understanding that has made the Empire appear colder than even the most cruelest of tactics." Nyton said while he leaned back into his chair and folded his hands together.

"So while I do not disagree with your point of view, I would hope that you would be able to understand my own. There is nothing wrong with my next body being of Yamataian creation so long as my current body is given the best possible fighting chance to survive. Even if it the means cause me great pain and discomfort, I want to live. My grandfather survived an explosion that he cost maybe sixty percent of his body. The only way to survive was to convert him into a cyborg so that he may continue fighting. That was over fourty years ago. I know for a fact that cybernetics have gotten much better since then. To me, that route is more acceptable than just tossing aside my current body while a spark of life still exists. Even if I have to have a body completely made of metal like our good Custodian Sigurd, if you can save my brain that manner then by all means do so. And while your at it I would like a good amount of improvements added too."

Nyton paused while his fingers tensed. "Give my body a fighting chance. If I lose that battle and my current body has in effect died then allow this body a few moments to decay, salvage the memory backup if possible, and then create a new body. Hell, I'll even go for a Yamataian body, my soul will just have to deal with it and learn not to get lost on it's way to the new body. If my soul is indeed gone then what will it matter to me what body I have. Regardless of the body I have, I will continue to be Nepleslian. I will want to augment myself with cybernetics in a Yamataian body no differently than I do in this body. I will want to survive in the new body just as much as I do in this body."

A brief sigh escaped from him as he thought deeply on his mortality. "To fight as hard as possible even to the last breath is what it means to be Nepleslian. It is what has driven humans for however many millions of years we have existed. It is a drive shared now by our creations, the Nekovalkyrja. Does that mean we are really all that different after all? I would think not but a few scant decades of war has created such a rift between our races."

Nyton chuckled darkly and shook his head. "There I go on another tangent of personal philosophy when you only asked one question. I only hope I at least answered it somewhere among the rhetoric I've been spewing." he said with a slight grin.

"I believe we did," Miharu replied. "There remains one thing though. As a people that get turned ever gradually into cyborgs as your organic parts fail, you would still lose some things such as sensorial stimuli and such. Instead of confining a Nepleslian to live in a body that is cold and made of metal, would it not be better to give him a whole new flesh and blood body so that he could experience life more fully? Your grandfather could have been spared all the mechanical parts and had arms, legs a heartbeat... all those things to be able to touch and comfort his family members."

"I understand and respect your desire to live as long as you want - I was not the one whom instated the species restriction plan, after all. However, at some level, wouldn't it be a mark of compassion to spare a nepleslian suffering instead of leaving him to suffer if his ills are beyond our power?"

"Tough? No, ma'am. Not at all. That's what we're trained for, after all." Rei spouted off the gung-ho party line she'd been fed at boot as being what officers wanted to hear.

"Came onboard ready to go, actually. I'm...uh...a little excited, really. Just got through running a shakedown on the Shrike; boresighting the guns, everything's five-by-five on it, ma'am." Rei prattled on, loosely interpreting 'how you're doing' as a request for a status report.

"Oh, and erm, thanks for the greeting, ma'am."

Masako seemed a bit taken back at first by the enlisted woman's excitement, blinking quickly in a manner of confusion. After a few moments, however, the young warrant officer couldn't help but bring a hand to her lips and giggle. "You really do seem excited, Ito-Hei," she replied with a smile.

The raven-haired woman took another moment and clear her throat and straighten her facial expression out into a more polite smile. "But don't be too excited, because this will be your first combat assignment....its not necessarily going to be the most gentle introduction," Masako explained, hiding a frown with a neutral expression.

"But if you stick close to Claymere-Juni, you should be fine," the young Kurohoshi said in a more mentor-like manner. "Anyway, you probably want to rest, forgive me for keeping you from that," Masako finally said with a polite nod.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back