• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: 4th Fleet [Mission 1] The Battle of South Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Kiyoshi was using the intercom was Silic slowly braked to ease the large forklift around a corner, a rather difficult manoeuvre for a vehicle never designed to set wheel in the ships corridors, just as he was wheeling into the turn a voice seemed to boom from the very walls, repeating the commanders message throughout the ship. Silic jerked in surprise, losing the turn and causing the vehicle to fish tail slightly, the front corner of the forklift connected with the wall with a hearty crunch, the momentum scraping the forklift along the wall until the side collided with the opposite wall of the corner. Silic was thrown around in his seat, wrenching his neck in two direction and bruising his shoulder from the seatbelt.

As the forklift sat against the corner, it's engine humming gently, Silic rubbed his shoulder and neck, trying to massage the bruising and stretched muscle. Swearing gently he flopped against the seat “Kami,” wheezing from the wrenching earlier “tell Kiyoshi-Taisa that I'm on my way to the site now, and tell the team at the autoloader to rig a pulley system for mechanical advantage, no need to make this any harder.” he said, rubbing his throat “Could use a drink right now.” he muttered to himself.
“Want me to put that as part of Team Threes orders?” asked KAMI, trying to be helpful.
“No, just the pulley bit. I'll sort the drink later.” replied Silic looking behind as he shifted to reverse, trying to dislodge the forklift.

Freya forwarded the message, "Load teams will be ready upon your arrival."

With a squeal of rubber, Silic was able to free the forklift, but as the forks tore free from the wall a section of cabling came with them. Immediately a series of brilliant blue-white flashes blinded Silic as the power cable shorted out. The overhead lighting units then exploded in a chain reaction. But the worst part was when Silic looked ahead and watched as emergency bulkheads before and behind him lowered into position, totally sealing the corridor.

Silic stared at the closed door for a second, unmoving, mouth open in shock. Closing his mouth he kicked open to door of the cabin, pieces of the broken windows dropping onto the floor, Silic moved to jump out, forgetting to undo the seatbelt, hammering his already bruised shoulder once again in a hiss of pain. Unclicking the seatbelt and throwing it behind him in frustration he tried again, this time his boots hit the ground with a solid thud and he walked towards towards the door, rubbing his shoulder painfully.

Stopping in front of the door controls, Silic pressed the button to open the door, it depressed with a slight click and nothing happened. Confused, Silic tapped the button several more times rapidly, before applying a boot to the control panel, to not effect. Sighing in defeat, Silic turned around “KAMI, connect me to the bridge please.” his voice disheartened.
“One moment, Silic-hei.” replied the computer, remaining silent for a few seconds “Connected.”
Taking a deep breath he said slowly “Uh, guys. I'm gonna need a hand here.” sounding slightly embarrassed.

As Honoka received reports of various areas of the forward sections being evacuated, she quickly went about forwarding the requests of sealing off and removal of atmosphere in said sections to the appropriate bridge operator.

"Forward section are evacuated," she reported.

Kiyoshi turned to Honoka, "Thank you for the good news, finally something is going right Hakumei-Juni." She glanced at the the status board and saw that less than 25% of the Nadare's torpedoe tubes had been reloaded. And they were now within range of the NMX vessel.

"Damn it, we'll just have to make due with what we have. Hakumei-Juni signal the other groups, as well as ours, open fire on the NMX Battleship ship with all batteries. I want that bastard wiped out of my sight. Oh, and find out where the hell Vas-Hei is with my torpedoes."

"I believe," Arkase said quickly, "Vas-Hei is stuck." He transferred the data so that the Aide could see it on her console.

“Is anyone there?” Silic spoke louder, worried that he wasn't being heard “The emergency shutters locked down, and the control panel is offline. I need someone to open the shutter from the control room!” Looking at the gashes in the wall and the wires ripped out by one of the forks on the much battered forklift Silic whispered to himself “Best not to mention that bit.”

"Ah, oh... oh! Uh right," Honoka bumbled a bit. Too much stuff was going on, as she tried to organize her thoughts. First, the most important thing....

"Attention all groups, engage the lead NMX Battleship and take it out!"

Now, to deal with the problem on-board.

"Vas-hei, please sit tight.... The door is going to have to be manually opened. Somehow."

She turned to Arkase. "Do you know if there are any available personnel to open up that door?"

The three groups of warships opened fire simultaneously upon the NMX Battleship. The NMX vessel was pummeled by the barrage of primary weapons from three different quadrants. But it was not going down without a fight. Its cannons struck out at the attacking ships determined to take as many with it as possible. Several hits struck the Nadare and it shook with the impact. The ships of the 4th Fleet fired their secondary weapons even as they continued to close upon the enemy.

Damage indicators showed some of the forward compartments had taken damage. However since the sections were vacated there was no loss of life or injures. Following up the secondary guns of the 4th Fleet opened fire; their beams carving devastating rents in the ship. From the Yamatai groups swarms of torpedoes streaked towards the enemy vessel. The NMX Battleship trained its defensive weapons on the torpedoes, even as its own battlepods valiantly attempted to deal with the threat. Many of the battlepods were destroyed by their own ship, but in the end several of the Yamatai torpedoes struck home. Several of the torpedoes found there way into the damaged battle ship with spectacular results. Seconds later a series of secondary explosions were detected from the ship, then its hull split like an overripe melon and the ship exploded in a blinding flash that the monitors rapidly tried to control. Once the light faded all that remained of the battle ship was wreckage, the shockwave of the destruction took out more of the battlepods.

Freya chimed in over the ship speakers. “Shockwave approaching, Sound Collision Alert.” The alert was signaled by the ship’s klaxons. And a moment later the shockwave stuck the Nadare the brunt of the force was deflected by the ship’s shields, but everything was given a bumpy ride as the lights dimmed as the systems routed power to inertial systems.

Kiyoshi grabbed hold onto the console just in time to prevent being tossed around on bridge. Her fingers bent the edge of the console. That’s one bastard down, let’s see if can get the other one. she thought.

Silic looked up at the sound of klaxon;s, eyes darting sideways under his glasses in confusion “There's no shock waves in spa-” He cut off in a yell as the floor shook beneath him, dumping him to the floor, and rocking the forklift at crazy angles. Sighing a cuss word Silic sat up slowly, “Not my day today.” he grunted.

Reviewing Silic's situation, Arkase was startled when FREYA informed him of the blast doors remaining shut.

With a sigh, he used his access to open a blast door -- carefully making sure he wasn't opening the hapless engineer to a vacuum -- and allow him to continue his journey.

"Have fun." Arkase grunted off the Comm.

Freya, "Unable to comply with command. Automated door controls are non-responsive. Manual intervention is required."

Silic startled sideways as a burst of sparks spat out of the exposed wiring in the wall, dancing against the floor before sizzling out. Backing away from the gash in the wall, Silic looked at the doors “Fine day to leave my tool kit behind...” he muttered.

Honoka gripped her seat tightly as the ship was rocked. Great, the ship was damaged from the returned fire. But, at least a major enemy had been taken out. Now to wait for more orders to relay, as she listened in on the comm traffic.

"Looks like someone has to head down to open the doors for him..." she muttered, looking to Arkase.

Kiyoshi surveyed the system monitors. It isn't pretty, the Nadare will definitely be needing some time in dock for repairs, but we did not lose anymore lives and no critical systems either. she thought.

She looked at one display that annoyed her, the torpedo loading status, "Hakumei-Juni, get me a status on the attack group, and signal them to prepare to converge on the NMX second heavy. Arkase-Hei find someone to get Vas-Hei out of that area. Get a technician or someone who can either repair the door or cut it. I do not care how they get it open, but make it happen. We need to reload the tubes, and the manual loading is taking far too long."

"On it." Arkase called.

With that, he switched to Team Charlie's channel.

"Charlie Team, we have personnel trapped near the cargo bay. Can you cut through the bulkhead cutting him off from the ship?" He fed the Team Leader the route and place.

"Charlie team leader, we're on it." The defense team quickly made their way to the location. Opening the control panel showed a mass of melted and charred wiring. After determining it would take too long to repair, they first attacked the blast door with their Aether Sabers slicing into the door at precise positions to help weaken the door. Then one group of the soldiers began applying a liberal amount of Type 31 Detonating cord (T31DC) to the door. Then two of the team secured cables to the door with Molecure Tape. Once the charges were in place, the power armor team grabbed the cables and braced against them. With a loud whump and a flash the detonating cord finished cutting the door.

After the smoke cleared the team heaved on the cables, on the third time there was a crack as the remaining piece of metal broke free and the section of door fell forward with a resounding clang.

The leader of Charlie team walked up to Silic, "You called for a can opener Vas-Hei?"

"Etto, Taisa, five Ayumi-class and a Takumi-class had to withdraw due to damage. From what I can tell, the others are damaged, but are still able to fight," Honoka relayed the information.

"Attention ships who are ready and operational that have just aided in the destruction of the first NMX battleship. You are ordered to prepare to engage the second battleship."

Silic, who had been sitting against the wall, was somewhat speechless after being on the receiving end of a door breach so pushed himself up, dusted off his uniform and said the first thing that came to mind “Can I buy you drinks after this, Charlie-san?” Realising what he'd just said, he winced in embarrassment, trying to think of a way to back out of the situation.

The leader of Charlie team chuckled, "We get through this day in one piece, you can buy the team a round of drinks. Best you get a move on."

The members of Charlie team moved past the forklift and started working on clearing the damaged door behind it. "Charlie Team to command, Vas-Hei has been liberated. We're going to unstick the other door while we are hear. Over."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back