• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: ISC Phoenix [Mission 10 Aside] Secrets Never End

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luca

The Ultimate Badass
🎖️ Game Master
(This is a Joint-Post between myself and Blackbird, as Sebastian and Uriel, respectively.)

A moving stream of information
That is floating on the wind
The secrets never end
And now they call,
They sing, they play, they dance
For you, from out of the blue,
What can you do?

- Electric Light Orchestra

En Route to Delsauria

Luca Pavone was a couple of days into recovery, and he'd been spending it dressed for combat, but not necessarily doing anything combat related. It was a fairly hushed morning, unlike the one that happened a couple of days ago, Payday's blood and fluids on the walls and ceiling and floors had been cleaned up. Noting that the lounge room was clear, Luca was waiting on his angelic informer to touch base with him. He had a cup of tea in his good hand, while his right hand was still recovering from Payday's punctures.

TWO DAYS EARLIER...

Uriel rapped soundly on Sebastian's door. "Mister Pavone, I would like a word with you."
The door opened by Sebastian's hand, and the first thing Uriel would notice was that the interior of Sebastian's apartment had fallen into some state of disrepair since he'd been navel-gazing on his cycles theories. In particular, his desk was a mess, with open books on his left and scribblings to his right. "Yes?" He replied hoarsely. He looked a little pale, "I've always got time to talk to you. How's my son?"

"He's well, but... anxious. He believes- and has led me to believe- this has a lot more to do with you and your own history than any of your son's. I was hoping you would be willing to shed some light on the situation." While awaiting a response, his eyes scoured the room. The consensus was distaste. A man that could lose himself so easily in the past was a man of troubles and worries.

Sebastian sighed, "The moment I saw Yuki, I knew we were all in danger. I do not know how my son knows of her, or how they made contact," He sighed, "Back when I was Luca's age, I used to be a mercenary myself. I made friends and contacts, just as he did. Yuki was amongst them. I'm going to have to take steps to ensure my son's safety - even if it means leaving him in the dark." He looked over to his old Blackhawk revolver on the desk. The cylinder was open and six bullets were in the cylinder, with some other loose ammo scattered about.

Uriel could also see an old GP-1 assault rifle lying on the bed unloaded, with some spare magazines of ammo leaning against its stock. There were also some fragmentation hand grenades.

The Archangel could see it plainly: like father, like son. The Pavones were prepared for war. "When, in the history of war and conflict, has it ever been wise to refuse information to one's comrades? I hope you have examples, because I can't recall a single one. I do believe a nigh ancient Yamataian was even quoted on the matter. Something about knowing your enemy."

"That's correct, but have you seen Luca react to when my skeletons come rolling out of the closet?"

"I don't recall such an occurrence, no." Uriel folded his arms, settling in for what seemed like a fair debate on the emotional dilemma of pasts and perception.

"When Cain had singled him out a couple of years ago, simultaneously putting a bounty on his head and forcing him to save the world, I confessed that I knew him - and I was equally ready to end Cain for my son's sake. Needless to say, he was very emotional about it."
"When I knew Cain, he was a surgeon and a doctor, gave me my arm," He flexed the servos in his artificial arm, "But like I said, he overstepped and went off the deep end, forcing me to banish him from my squad. But enough about him. Yuki's an even bigger threat, partly due to my misjudgement when I was younger..." He sighed.

Sex, Uriel figured that to mean. He felt like he should be disappointed, but couldn't find it in himself- probably because he was still fairly young and knew quite well how emotions could derail your logic. Just look at the gang fiasco...
"If you want to keep Luca leashed, then tell me. I can find a way to convey the information in a manner that shelters you from any emotional backlash and will provide Luca with all the necessary details. It's a battle, after all. He doesn't need a play-by-play of romances, just tactical information."

"Certainly. As you've seen, there's my two sons, Luca and Joseph. I settled down with Anna when I was in my thirties so I could properly retire and get some peace, at least until Joseph was fifteen. I knew why he went missing, Luca was seven years old at the time.
"Luca believes that Joseph is his brother, which is partially correct. You see, Luca was born later when I settled down with Anna, and Joseph was the result of an altercation with Yuki. I felt guilty and took it upon myself to raise Joseph, but Yuki got possessive and snatched him back. Ever since, I've been looking over my shoulder every day for her counterattack, using my own son against me."

"And this is it, then? Should we be expecting a showdown between your boys or something far more sinister afoot?" Uriel couldn't help it now; his disdain for the whole ordeal was shining through plainly.

Sebastian could see the disdain on Uriel's face. It was getting difficult to keep eye contact, "I think she's leading us into a trap."
"What kind, exactly?"

He drummed his fingers against the desk, "Yuki has many contacts under her belt. Was a SAINT, and has worn many hats in the past. Pirate captain, trader, businesswoman, bodyguard, killer. I dread to think what she'd have at her beck and call." He spun the cylinder on the revolver, counting the clicks, "It could be anything from a small ambush to an out and out war."

"I do believe the standard advice here is to err on the side of caution. Let's assume total war."
Sebastian smiled, "I expect nothing less from her. I've seen Luca walk around dressed up for it. I'd say he's adequately prepared."

"And what of us that have absolutely no idea what's going on? Hm? Care to enlighten us on her arms and armaments? That is, after all, the sort of thing I hope to distract Luca with so as to avoid the invasive questions like, 'Why's my brother trying to kill me?' "

"She'll have a force that's trained well, but ultimately expendable, like ex Paragon contractors, as well as a variety of free agents. Luca's the biggest target thanks to his bounty, but you've seen how he deals with bounty hunters, right?" He then meditated on the question, "Tell him to be wary of his brother, and to expect him to not be in his right mind. All those years under Yuki's thumb could've conditioned him."

Easy enough. Uriel could spin a tale if need be- anything to ensure Luca kept his focus for the duration of the mission. "What about heavy arms? Should we be expecting powered armour or anything of that nature?"

Sebastian nodded, "Of course. Pirates are resourceful as hell, they could've salvaged military armours from the wrecks of warships Nepleslian and Yamataian and gotten them into some working order. We've dealt with power armour in the past reasonably well, right?" He drew attention to some of the grenades labelled 'Plasma' and 'Antimatter' on his bed.

"Reasonably well," the Elysian affirmed. "Know thy enemy," he simply reiterated to explain his questioning. "Otherwise, I think I've obtained all I sought. This personal business- it's none of mine and can be settled by you and your son at another time and place. My only warning-"
Sebastian smiled, and asked: "Luca asked you to do this, didn't you?"

"Yes, of course. Captain Pavone certainly isn't an idiot."

"That he isn't." Sebastian now had a bit more faith in his son, "Tell him what he needs to hear."

"I'll tell him exactly what he needs to hear and no more. For everyone's sake, he needs to keep his focus, and I'll not be the one to ruin it. Afterward, though, don't be surprised if I throw you to the dogs. A son deserves only honesty from his father, no matter how hurtful or unpleasant." Uriel's own words echoed in his head; if only there had ever been a chance to speak to his father, the Elysian may have never left home in the first place. But that was a reminiscence for another time and place. That seemed to be a running theme on this ship- things starting up before their proper moment.

Before Uriel stepped out of the room, he had one last observation to vocalise: "You and the Captain seem impossibly skilled at drudging up every possible ounce of trouble in the galaxy."

Sebastian sighed in response. It was true, for better or worse - he and his family would be haunted for all eternity by trouble.

Uriel arrived at the briefing independently and some moments after its beginning. Afterward he equipped himself with the Elysian-fitted Origin power armor, some ugly, brutish, and powerful gun, and then sidled up next to Luca.

He was about to call for the Captain's attention on multiple occasions, but paused as Luca ran through a series of expressions and strange gesticulation in response to seemingly nonexistent stimuli. It was somewhat alarming, but Uriel kept the worries to himself.

"Captain, as per request I spoke with the senior Pavone. I think it pertinent to tell you a few things he skimped in the general briefing. Namely, your brother is unlikely to be of good mental health and that Yuki is the puppet master of this whole affair. I expect this to be nothing short of a suicide mission considering how gravely your father spoke of the odds, but you have a skilled team, and- I would like to believe- God watching over you. Many people like to spout the claim that he works in mysterious ways, and normally I'm one to dismiss such declarations of fate and destiny, but..." He paused for a couple seconds seeking more words. "But for all your manic behavior, much good comes from your deeds. I am glad to have been recruited, despite anything I may have previously said to the contrary. You have many people on this ship who would die for your sake and it is safe to say I am among their number."

He smirked, and felt need to end his monologue on a lighter note: the Patrician attempted humor. "So if it's not too much to ask, please don't put me in the position to meet my maker early."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back