• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: 21st Fighter Sq [Mission 2.0] Rescue with a side order of Calamari

Atsui climbed out of her Kawarime as soon as it was secured in its berth. She turned to the techs, "I want all the sensor data from my units fighters down to Intel ASAP. Ira-Shoi I want everyone in the squadron briefing room in twenty minutes for debriefing. I need to go report to the Captain." she said handing her helmet to one of the techs. She walked across the bay quickly, then paused. "And make sure Tin Man is there with some fresh batteries.." she called back. I don't know what Shin-Taisa was thinking recommending Vas-Hei, but I am seriously wondering if his warranty has expired. she thought exiting the hangar.

-------------------------

Meanwhile outside the Heitan the conflict was turning rapidly against the NMX. Two of the ships broke off the the rest of the NMX ships attempting to get clear of the anti-FTL shields. The alien vessels made swift work of them then recalled their attack craft and vanished.

Ira turned to Atsui as she spoke “Aye, Ma'am. I'll make sure he's juiced up before then.” he acknowledged with a nod before turning back to the others. “Right, you heard the Chui. Get some refreshers, have a nap, but don't remove your kit until we know we're standing down. See you in twenty minutes. Dismissed.” With that, Ira turned and left for the med bay,following in the wake of Silics gurney.

Kayo entered the hangar bay hoping to catch the commander, but failing to see her, spotted the XO. The brown haired, blue eyed Neko quickened her pace to intercept him. "Ramirez-Shoi, excuse me but I have a message for you and the Chui. The Captain, Odell-Taii says the squadron should stand down completely. And once we return to Daichi we are to prepare for a temporary duty assignment. He said we will receive details upon arrival."

Yaeko was about to respond to the Chui but it seemed that Ramirez beat her to the punch. She paused, contemplating how she should spend the next twenty minutes, before she overheard the conversation between Ira and an unfamiliar Neko. She put on a smile before she stretched and said, "Sounds like we've got a day or two of R&R ahead of us."

Ira stopped and turned to face Kayo as she crossed his vector, an eye brow raised as he listened to these almost countermanding orders. “I see. Thank you, hei.” he nodded “Atsui-Chui is already on her way to see the captain, so don't worry about her. I'll take care of it.”

With that he turned to address the rest of the squadron milling about the hangar, “New word from the higher-ups, we have in fact been stood down. Get out of your gear and prepare a sortie into The Safety Valve after the Chui gets a word!”

Ira turned back to the pale young neko, she was nearly a foot shorter than him, making him feel strangely older than his 22 years. “Feel free to join in later if you're off duty.”

"Thank you for the offer Shoi, if my duties are completed I will join you." Kayo said with a smile, she turned and walked across the hangar with a bounce to her step that was noticed by more than a few of the technicians.

---------------------------------------------------------

It was in fact two hours later that the squadron received word to meet Atsui in the bar.

She was seated at one of the poker tables, a bottle of wine from the Shinja winery sitting next to her glass. She was wearing a an exercise t-shirt, and uniform pants.

Kail Tarrim made her way into the Valve, seeming a little on the bitter side, though it was not immediately threatening or imminently obvious looking. She sat down near Atsui, waiting for the others to arrive. In truth, she was slightly miffed about Ramirez' order which was then counteracted- needless worry and action which could have been better used for something else. It mattered little, but just didn't seem to be in the best of moods today. Perhaps things would change, Kail didn't honestly enjoy being sour, though it happened rather often in her line of work.

the Santo Juni Adjusted her uniform slightly to get more comfortable- She appeared to have recently showered and changed, wearing an older-type uniform that she was more accustomed to. she would probably get more use of of the newer types, they were indeed more comfortable and durable, but she just didn't feel like herself in them. Not that the Chui appeared to be dressed properly for anything but exercise at the moment, but, at this bar, the appearances really didn't matter all too much.

Walking into The Valve soon after came a freshly showered Yaeko, hair still damp, wearing a baby blue tube top and a pair of short shorts. She stood on her tippy toes as she glanced around the room until she saw Atsui and Kail. She walked over and paused. Seeing as this was an informal meeting she didn't feel the need to bow, but she still felt it right to address her superiors accordingly. "Atsui-Chui, Tarrim-Sensei, do you two mind if I take a seat?"

Atsui looked at Yaeko and motioned to one of the empty chairs. "Pull up a seat. By the way, good flying Kail, Munkata. Solid performance, wish I could find a few more like you." she said as she filled her glass with wine.

Kayo walked over and and hovered near the table, waiting for an opportunity to ask for permission to join the others.

Yaeko pulled up a seat next the Chui and sat down. "I didn't think it was very exemplary, there were many mistakes that I shouldn't have made. Plus apparently I need to loosen up on my turns, it seems that Silic's stomach can't keep up with the banking and the G-forces. However, on the same note, I feel that the small mistakes didn't affect performance too much and didn't cause any additional damage, even though it did increase the risk of such an occurrence. Also, these mistakes can be expected since I, for one, am not even a fighter pilot."

Nobutora after an hour of debriefing with Konpeki and several other officers from the Heitan. He had taken a shower and changed into a clean uniform. He arrived at the entrance of the bar and surveyed the room. Spotting the commander, he crossed over found himself an empty seat.

-----------------------------------

Ramirez arrived last, Silic leaning against his shoulder for support. Both were still in their flight suits, having been too preoccupied to take them off. Ramirez's position wouldn't let him get away with anything other than a fully closed uniform, while Silic was stripped to the waist, a light singlet stopped public indecency laws coming into effect. The slightly damaged Itto-Hei also had a rather large icepack strapped to the top of his head.

As Silic caught sight of his former teacher, he braked Ramirez with a pat on the chest, gesturing to the opposite side from Kail. Ramirez looked up at her for a second before turning back to Silic, who was now gesturing more urgently. With a sigh, the Shoi helped the man hobble to a chair, and sit down before heading over to join Atsui at the front, standing easy.

“Ma'am, ladies.” he acknowledged with two nods. “I think most of the nurses in medbay want to stab me right now, but we're all here.”

------------------------------------------

"Have a seat people, we have a few things to discuss." Atsui started motioning to the chairs.

She continued to speak, "First Taii Odell sends his job well done. The data from the Youkai was successfully retrieved, and the tactical folks are pleased.

I am of course displeased at our losses, but in a situation like that we were all fairly lucky to get out with our skin intact."

She paused, and then turned to stare at Silic. "Tin Man, I do not know who those Poku aliens were, but when caught between the NMX and another group of warships that were kindly attacking the same NMX ships. We'll probably see more of them, but at the moment they were fighting with us. So why provoke them by insulting them? Effective immediately when we are in a first contact situation, or something similar keep your damn mouth clamped. Got it."

Silic slumped slightly further in his chair, “I got it, ma'am.” deciding discretion was the better part of valour when it came to mentioning that before the Squids had arrived, they'd been fighting these aliens themselves. What about second contact? he thought quietly to himself in small rebellion.

Kail simply remained silent, observing the situation. At Fort Ready, she would have been the one scolding the Nepleslian for his actions, but here, she was just another squadron member. The Compliment barely registered to the former instructor- she was not here looking for praise, but rather she was here to do her job and do it well. Perhaps she could help train some of the pilots in the squadron better, if they had time.

"The skipper and I both have the same opinion. Whoever the Poku Degonjo Saeruo are, it is pretty obvious they were testing us. For what purpose we can not be sure. But the first warship nor any of the others opened fire on us, and their main weapons made quick work of the battle pods. So the only thing we can be sure of they hate the Mishhu as much as we do, or more than they dislike us. I would rather we not change that mindset." Atsui said as she pulled a photo out of a folder in her lap.

"Thanks to Munkata and Vas's camera, we have a bit of information. " she said sliding the photo over.

"They appear to be some sort of feline descended race, and they are not opposed to using humans as forced labor. If we are interpreting these images correctly."

"Now, a proof of the old saying, no good deed goes unpunished. I have our new assignment. We are going to be dropped off on SX-06. Our presence has been requested by Saiki-Shuji of the Scientific Studies Service. He was impressed by our commitment to protect Ryou, so he wants us to provide protection for their expedition on SX-06."

Yaeko sat back, listening intently to Atsui as she spoke. Wait, my fighter has a camera? She tried to hide her surprise since she would probably get scolded for not knowing her equipment well enough. When she heard the assignment mentioned she immediately closed her eyes and pictured where SX-06 was in comparison to their current location. "I'm on familiar with that system Chui, but wouldn't that put us in western territory, behind SMN territory?"

In the back, Silic made a small fist of triumph at was was hopefully going to be an easy protection racket, with cute, sicency chicks lusting after men of action, and wild parties. Yaeko's last statement sort of buzz-killed his little fantasy, gleeful expression broken by one very confused eyebrow rising.

He leaned over and whispered to Kayo quietly “I've never even heard of SX-06.” he admitted “I wonder if I can get some new sunnies there?”

Atsui grinned for a moment at Yaeko's comment. "Yeah, along with all the other assets of the 2XF. SX-06 is located approximately 20 light years west of Daichi. The system survey is still underway. Although from what they have told us. The fourth planet, SX-06-4 for now, is habitable, possesses a diverse ecosystem. Their expedition is being established at some ruins that the brain trust is all excited about, just outside of a deciduous forest.

We'll establish a perimeter, and probably do some ground training, and of course atmospheric training. Maybe we can help Vas-hei get his wings. Overall, it should probably be a fairly uneventful assignment nursemaid the civilians. So when we leave Daichi you might want to bring some things to entertain yourselves."

Silic's expression fell further at the mention of 'ruins', and 'decidious'; he didn't even know what that word meant, but it sounded bad. By the second part, his mouth was hanging open in shock. Atsui's final sentence ended with a muffled bang from Silic's head colliding with the top of one of the tables.

Yaeko grinned at the thought of that sort of training, and the adventurous location made it more enticing. "Well that puts us just as far to the outskirts of known space as one can get, sounds interesting. Let's just hope the surveyors didn't miss any crucial information like toxic gases or gigantic squiddies."

In orbit above the planet in Briar Patch.

Meanwhile on the bridge of Clan ship, Âtoma-iko (Red Heart), one of the pilots approached the Ta'a. "Ta'a Taorm all ships of the Gather report ready for departure. The ground team is giving the workers their payment. " the junior Qaktoro paused and then spoke in a softer voice.

"Beg pardon, Ta'a but why did we not destroy the Amaty fighters? It would have been easy."

The white furred female Ta'a Taorm, for the Gather held the pilot in her gaze for a moment before responding.

"It would have served no purpose. Nothing would be gained except to kill pilots who were no threat to us at the moment. So I chose to test them, so our youngest Gulvisa pilots got a little practice, and some humility.

We got to see these new craft in action. We saw one of their Gulvisa Nest ships, and several of their warships fight against the Siama'bu Soujo.

So I would say we came out in good standing, and with the Siama'bu Soujo about, I see no reason to make enemies with the Poku Amaty without good cause.

Once the Gatherers have reached orbit, take us out to a safe point for tunneling. Take us home." she turned and walked off the bridge.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back