• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 4th Fleet (NSN) [Mission 2] Recovery

Seeing as there was nothing else to talk about, Avel made her way to the exit to get cleaned up and prepare for the next mission. She opened the door and was met with a junker drone standing in front of her, carrying her data jockey and a now fully repaired assault rifle behind it.

Before Avel could say anything, it began speaking loud enough for the entire room to hear. Much to her horror.

"GREETINGS AVEL, YOUR ASSAULT RIFLE HAS BEEN REPAIRED AFTER YOU DESTROYED IT DURING YOUR PERIOD OF MENTAL INSTABILITY INCLUDING THE DAMAGE YOU DID TO THE WALL. ALSO, YOUR MISSING DATA JOCKEY WAS ALSO FOUND IN LAURA'S QUARTERS."

An expression of shock and horror came over Avel's face as the drone shouted it's message, oblivious to her reaction.

After a few moments of no outward response Avel snapped out of her shell shocked state and her face hardened. "Were any of it's data files accessed while there?" She asked, knowing full well what the answer was going to be.

"YES, SCANS SHOW THAT ALL FILES WERE ACCESSED DURING THE SPECIFIED DATE."

"I see." Avel said in a low voice. "Just bring that stuff back to my personal quarters and put it next to my bag."

With that done she turned around and closed the distance between her and Laura with a few steps. She would then forcefully grab her shoulder with enough force to potentially break it, spin her around and lower herself down to eye level.

"You, me, outside, NOW!" She demanded in a voice she was unfamiliar with.

"You, me, outside, NOW!" Avel demanded, holding Laura by the collar.

Phaedra sighed to herself.

"Like dealing with children...not that I have actually had any experience with them..." she thought. Phaedra turned away from the contractor and walked over to Avel and Laura's location.

"Is there a problem here that I should be aware of, Private?" asked Phaedra, her arms crossed over her chest.

"Private Romero has much work to do."

Avel turned her attention to Phaedra and saluted. Things had reached a new low as far as her life was concerned. A lifetime of desperately trying to prove herself to others and failing in one way or another had taken it's toll on her mind. She had lost all hope of anything good happening and was now simply looking to find out what had happened out of sheer curiosity, even though she knew it wouldn't be anything good. Nothing good ever happened to her.

After that she would either quit the marines or blow her brains out. Nobody would miss her and nobody would care.

They never did. That was simply life.

"No, everything's fine." She began, her stare becoming cold and emotionless.

"I was going to talk to her about something but it would have been completely pointless. Like everything else I've ever fucking done."

At the last part her left eye twitched slightly as she forced down the urge to just let loose and do whatever came to mind. Another sign that she was falling apart.

With that said she turned on her heel and marched towards the doors. Then right before she disappeared she would call back over her shoulder.

"Congratulations on your promotion sergeant."

"Received and acknowledged ma'am" he said shortly before the drone blasted the room like a sonic weapon, his hand shot to his sidearm he stopped himself before he drew the weapon.

Relaxing back into his seat he glanced back toward the Sergeant as the other marine stormed out of the room, "Arieg Hessel, Sergeant Arieg Hessel, Paragon 1st Regiment, Special Combat Battalion, A Company" glancing at the door, "This sort of breach of bearing common in this unit?" commenting on the recent outburst.

Laura looked back and forth multiple times trying to understand what madness just happened. Quickly to Sergeant Volkov, "I think we need to deal with that," pointing the disappearing Avel. Before the Sergent could reply, Laura dashed over to Bernhard.

"Private Sitkeas is emotionally distraught over something. I'm going to find out what. Don't know what about but it seems to be personal rather than anything else. Um... if I text you on the datajockey, I need help." The male medic glanced at her with a look of surprise. Her sudden professionalism was a surprise. "Sure," he replied, turning back to Alan, who was very very tall.

Laura went back to Sergeant Volkov to tell her the same thing she had told Bernie. She'd decided he looked like a Bernie. "Make sure Bernie doesn't get swamped, please, Sergeant! Thanks" Laura said, running off after Avel.

She caught up with Avel in one of the locker rooms. "Can't go outside. Might be needed for a patient. So... what's going on?"

----------------------

Alan was very very tall. Bernhard wondered what was it that caused this. But, that was a topic of conversation for another time.

"Minor scarring on the forearms and abdomen, no physical deformities, no irregularities in vital statistics, no strange organs or bodily appendages, no facial hair. Overall, nothing to complain about. Do you have anything I should be made aware of? Allergies? Past traumatic experiences? Phobias?"

Bernhard looked up at the big man.

Avel had marched over to her locker and gotten changed into a clean uniform. She also found fresh clips for the pistol she had looted off the dead goon, most likely Drei's doing. It saved her the time of requisitioning them herself. Now all she needed were night sights and a silencer.

She loaded a fresh clip and closed her locker only to have Laura appear.

"So... what's going on?"

Sighing and holstering her pistol, Avel turned to the team medic. "Nothing that you should care or be bothered about. Seeing as I'll be gone soon anyways." She said plainly.

@ Alan

Harm was chuckling as she moved over towards Alan, her hand having grown back by this point, but the back of her dress was still a burned mess.

“I hope you appreciate how funny this is from an outside perspective,” She said as Bernhard looked him over. “This has been par for the course so far. Normally I get to be the subversive element but it is a lot less fun when everyone is doing it.

How bout I come with you down to the quartermaster’s when you’re done here? I’ve got a new room to furnish and you’ve got one of those space-bed-things that all the other marines are going to get forced into.

And, you know... the dress.”

---

@ Cedric

Wazu still looked disoriented, having a bit of trouble fumbling with the buttons on his uniform coat.

“Phaedra is going to need an official second in command of the unit and my choices are between yourself and Matteo.

Last operation you decided to stay behind and get yourself killed to buy time for the rest of the unit. That put you ahead in the running.

As for memory loss, we can not remote back-up memories when you are away from the ship. I am not sure when Drei preformed the backup but you certainly lost the memories of the operation itself. Drei has the audio logs from the operation as well as the video logs from Phaedra’s rifle if you want to take a look.” Wazu offered.

His datapad would then beep, and Wazu would quickly look it over and then press in a response.

“In the mean time, enjoy being alive again. Harm probably feels like she owes you a drink. I suggest you take her up on that, it tends to take the edge off the respawn process.”

Cedric was visibly shocked at Wazu's "in your face" way of telling him what had happened up until then. Of course, it wasn't like Cedric would have wanted somebody to be treating him like a baby just because he had gone and died on an op.

'Feels kind of weird to say that. Nancy will have a heart attack if I ever tell her what happened.' Cedric grinned at the thought his sister: tearing her hair out in panic after hearing Cedric had gotten himself killed.

He didn't see her that often, but was still a funny thought. However, the news about being second-in-command caught him by surprise in a similar fashion to the rest of Wazzu's debriefing. To find out that he was in the running for being Phaedra's Number 2 was both a happy revelation, and a surprising one. Hadn't he just died? Then again, when thinking about it, the idea started making sense to the Marine sapper, and he understood why now even though Wazu had already said it earlier. He had done it to buy time for the other members of the team during the last mission (which he couldn't even remember).

'Sounds like the stupid kind of thing I would do, yeah. Cedric thought with another smile.

Then again: wasn't he just a Pike?

"Sir, forgive me for the stupid question, but wouldn't that job be better for an NCO?" He asked, watching Wazu struggle with the last niceties his uniform.

"I have far less trust for an NCO brought it from the outside than a marine brought up with this group," Wazu said, "Though if you would rather I look for another candidate let me know."

"No, sir." Cedric shook his head, "I understand entirely, sir, and I appreciate the trust that you're obviously placing in me."

With that, Cedric delivered a proper salute to the Admiral, and then turned in an about-face to the group that consisted of New Guy, Harm, and Doc Bernhard. He moved past them, wanting to just set up his quarters, get a drink, and probably grab some more chow considering how empty his recently revived stomach seemed to be. Cedric didn't know where the barracks were. Deck four? Deck five? He had no idea at all. He looked to the roof as he spoke, rather unnecessarily, and came to a stop.

"Drei, would you kindly tell me where the barracks are and where the drones put the rest of my stuff?"

“Deck 5,” Drei replied, “The junker drones have moved your personal effects to the barracks.” As she spoke, she highlighted the path with a green line projected onto the floor.

The ship’s marine barracks was fairly Spartan, with little more than display screens on the walls, lockers that were bolted down to the floor, and bunk beds with Velcro straps.

Bernhard glared irritably at Harm. "I don't know who you are or what you do for this unit but you shouldn't be standing. Go somewhere and shut off, or whatever is you Yammies do for sleep."

Back to Alan, "Nothing? Right, you can put on your shirt. Go and get settled in, stow your gear."

One more to go. Bernhard approached Arieg Hessel. "Alrighty, remove your shirt so we can begin."

Phaedra sighed as Avel left the Medbay.

"She's unstable and unpredictable, with no regard for orderly conduct. I think she is well due for the shore leave we have coming up." Phaedra then mentally kicked herself when she remembered her own outburst.

"I think we're all due for some leave."

"Make sure Bernie doesn't get swamped, please, Sergeant! Thanks," said Laura, leaving the medbay to chase after Avel.

"This sort of breach of bearing common in this unit?"

Phaedra threw a cold glance at Arieg and approached him.

"These soldiers have been through quite a bit recently, and they are in need of some leave. While order and discipline are paramount, there can be more to an individual's actions than simple disregard for proper conduct. Hence Private Romero's or Private Greer's medicial expertise will be differed to," said Phaedra, motioning to the doorway.

"Now if you will excuse me, Sergeant, I have other matters to attend to." Phaedra turned on her heel and faced Wazu.

"Admiral," she said with a salute.

"Cedric, you're with me. Let's take a walk," said Phaedra, motioning for the Marine to follow her out into the corridor.

Laura raised an eyebrow. This was certainly getting interesting. "Less than five minutes ago, you wanted very badly to speak to me in private. Now you've clammed up again. You want attention but don't know how to express yourself once you have it. Well, that's fine. I have all the time in the world now I can dump everything on Bernie. I'm a medic, I'm here to help if you'll let me. And I swear, on my pride as the most brilliant medic in the universe, no one will know unless you want them to know. Not even Bernie, unless you want to go to him for a second opinion."

Avel was showing signs of emotional trauma. The desperate need to speak to someone followed by a complete withdrawal pointed to a lack of trust in the people around her. And the sudden reversal of the decision also seemed to indicate she was switching rapidly between opinions, as if in panic mode.

For the moment the contractor was convinced he'd landed in a death trap of a unit, he'd seen this situation before and seen the results in combat. Usually toe tags all around and a small shoe box for a coffin, something he wanted to avoid at all cost. He didn't value their lives or their cause, he was simply in it for the money and the moment he felt they'd compromise his survival he'd do what hes always done, look out for himself.

Stripping off his web gear and taking off his blouse and T-shirt at once he looked around waiting for whomever was going to administer what he thought was a redundant activity.

"Hey, Drei." Cedric looked to the roof as he walked back from the barracks (having just stowed his gear), "Do you have access to those videos and things that the Admiral mentioned? Of the mission?"

He had taken to the halls after stashing the gear, wanting to explore the ship, and having decided to orient himself from the medical bay for now. Just as he arrived, he was suddenly confronted by Phaedra. He hadn't had time to listen to Drei's response as he snapped in to an appropriate "at-ease" position. As she turned to walk down the corridor, he moved to walk at her side.

He looked to her from his peripheral vision as he spoke, "Sergeant Volkov. What is it that you wanted to talk to me about, ma'am?"

He was careful to not use the word "discuss" from his time in basic training. Back then, if your Sergeant took you off to tell you something in private, it was usually either very good, or very bad, and it was too one-sided to be accurately described as a "discussion". Yet, he doubted he would be hit with bad news. Then again, he had just found out he got himself killed, so what could be worse than hearing that you had lost your life earlier that day?

Once Cedric had arrived, the two of them headed down the corridor to the lift.

"Sergeant Volkov. What is it that you wanted to talk to me about, ma'am?" he asked.

The two of them stepped into the lift, and Phaedra hit the button for Deck 7. She stood at ease and looked Cedric in the eye.

"The Admiral may have mentioned this, but you have been promoted to Staff Sergeant. I would like to have you as my second-in-command. While Harm may be my second-in-command to some extent, I need to have a Marine at my back who is committed to the Corps and not here as a...mercenary," said Phaedra, spitting the word "mercenary" out like is was poisonous.

Once they arrived at Deck 7, Phaedra strode out of the lift and headed to the quartermaster's office. Once there, she requested 2 pairs of rank bars, E-4 and E-5.

@ Cedric

Drei would transfer over the video recording from Phaedra’s gun camera as well as several recordings from video phones and datapads that where on at the time. He would be able to clearly see what the ground team was up to through Phaedra’s scope up until the point where the weapon had been abandoned then destroyed.

The transcript of the communications between squad members was also kept, though this lacked any video, he could hear what they were saying including the part where Cedric had decided to stay behind.

---

@ Phaedra

Down at the quartermaster’s office, the paper hated drone would quickly comply, handing over rank bars to Pheadra,

“It is very warm near the NAM proving grounds,” It reminded her, “And can top 110 degrees on the hottest days. Might I suggest taking lighter colored clothing with a lower thread count? We can produce various civilian clothes here too!”

---

In the medbay, Wazu was only barely starting to get everything together when Drei forwarded him a message transcript from the IPG.

“God damnit,” He said, “Drei, please send one in some ships, a C3 and the 31st at least…. And make sure everyone gets down to the proving grounds alright.”

With that, he headed for the shuttle bay for his meeting with the head of NNN.

---
@ Bernhard

"Well, thats rude. Maybe I'll just heal myself instead of relying on a med-school washout." Harm replied to Bernhard. "Where did Laura go? She was better at this whole bedside manner thing." She looked over Bernhard quickly before adding, "And much cuter too."

---
@ Everyone

Drei then sent a text message to all crew members.

“Be sure to stop by the quarter master’s office and request appropriate gear. The average temperature at the proving grounds is 86F in the daytime and 46F at night.”

When Laura gave her diagnosis Avel's grim expression remained unchanged. But internally she felt the urge to go through with her plan now instead of later. Anything was better than the way things were now. She sighed and forced out her response.

"There is nothing to talk about. I know I've always been worthless to you people and nothing I do will ever change that. I don't know what I did to be demoted but I know I'm not going to like what I find. But I'm going to anyways, just to get it over with."

Then before heading the halls to the quartermaster to see just what the new equipment was, she would quickly add.

"Then I'll do us all a favor and blow my fucking brains out!"

"Yeah, she's cute. But she's got a lot to learn still. Book learning, sleep taught stuff, none of that measures up to experience on the job. She's busy with another patient, you seem stable enough to wait a moment while I finish this fellow." Bernhard ran his eyes over the new man, Hessel. Good physical shape, cybernetic plug at the back of his neck, superficial scarring, no extra limbs.

"Well, since you're the professional and you've said nothing, I'll also assume you have no medical conditions I need to be aware of. Put your shirt on and run along." Bernhard walked away from Hessel and towards Harm. "I do hope you have good medical insurance because my prices for working with non-Nepleslian components are pretty high," he said, speaking to both of them.

Their blank stares made him sigh. "I thought my sense of humour was bad... Right, lady, besides your arm, what else is the matter?"

RPG-D RPGfix
Back