• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Heartbreaker [Mission 2] Remember To Always Think Twice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bridge

Rin remained a moment longer to listen to the speculations of Usagi about the aliens communication methods, and note the incoming transmissions from the damaged patrol craft. Though she was prepared as can be against what appeared to be an inferior adversary, this was one of those first contact situations that could become very messy very quickly. She knew of several other high-profile incidents of the Star Army becoming involved in an alien conflict, and none of them turned out well. But there may be no choice, if this ambassador knew of Uesu at all they had to be shielded from their foes long enough to derive the information they sought...

The teal-haired Shoi turned to her commanding officer as the orders were received. "Hai, Senchou. If these aliens can speak Yamataigo, there is certainly a good chance they have knowledge about the Fleet. We can't let that opportunity slip away from us."

Her path now set, the XO of the Heartbreaker gave a final word to the pink-haired Joto Hei before she departed the command bridge. "Let our guests know they are now under the protection of the Star Army of Yamatai. And to prepare to be boarded."

Power Armor Bay

Rin acknowledged Veronika's hasty respects, nodding to her and her black-haired Neko sister as they were suiting up for sentry duty. "I'm counting on you two," she spoke in passing, as her icy blue eyes noticed the others were already at acceptable levels of readiness with some noticeable laggards. The no nonsense officer came to her locker at the changing area and swung it open, swiftly disrobing without a second thought. Even though the new 3A models the Heartbreaker was equipped with could be used with the utility uniform, routine and rote from her eight years were too fixated in the former Geshrin's mind... to pilot the PA without anything between her ivory skin and the hemosynthetic inserts just seemed natural and most efficient. Stepping backwards into the Mindy's cradle and linking up via SPINE, there was indeed soon layers of the comforting synthetic flesh that began to massage her current Minkan body's muscles in preparation for battle to come.

Though she trusted the composite of Durandium, Yarvex and Titanium alloys that was her shield against the rigors of space and the Empire's enemies, whoever they may prove to be today... a little extra insurance couldn't hurt, as the XO had apparently programmed a change in her previous exploratory loadout only moments before. The bulky form of a Barrier Shield Module was locked into place by the automatic arms on her dorsal hardpoint, once it had finished installing the pair of Leg Capacitors first to provide the additional power for quick activation of this enhanced CFS system, should it be needed. The Mindy's servos flared to life as the armored form of Hoshitomo-shoi reached for her helmet and affixed it tightly, and once the AIES was ready stepped out of the bay and onto the deck with a thunk, soon reaching for an Aether Beam Saber Rifle and connecting its cables to her forearm slot.

Preparations complete, Rin strode over where the others were gathering looking like something right out of the textbook picture of SAoY's educational facility handbook on starship assault tactics. Perhaps there were others better suited to the role of making small talk, but her style of ambassadorship certainly would command the respect of their hosts... and the downfall of their pursuers. "

Last edited:
YSS Heartbreaker, Power Armor Bay

Sayoko's Mindy-clad form - in the middle of performing calibrations on the insanely sensitive scope of her Mk. II LASR - merely blinked at her roommate's comments, not really understanding the purpose or intent behind such a wager. Why would the number of appendages these unidentified contacts possess be related to something involving money? It's not likely they would be famil-

The entrance of the ship's Executive Officer, however, prompted a vastly more noticeable response as the Nitô Hei snapped to attention, saluted, and - in a quiet (yet commanding) tone she'd used only once before - said "Attention on deck!"

After the aforementioned XO had made her way over to where the silver-haired NH-33(S) Nekovalkyrja and her crewmates had gathered, the eldest of the Inukai sisters added, "Our orders, Hoshitomo-Shoi?"

Last edited:
Ee'ith Ambassador Sphere, Crew Compartment

With the LED mask secured firmly upon her face with straps, Sally curled the power cord around to the back of her head and slotted it into one of the sockets embedded there, feeling the subtle jolt as it connected to her implant. "Yui, is my mask working?", the ambassador asked, facing her sister and cycling through the preset symbols in the implant's memory banks. A stylised, human 'smiley' emoticon appeared, then switched to a frown, an angry snarl, an animated crying face, an open-mouthed, mirthful grin and finally displaying a more unusual image; a seemingly incomprehensible mass of tiny lit specks, almost like a field of stars, all arranged in pairs, with a single frowning mouth towards the bottom of the display.
Yui nodded her head and squeaked in the affirmative, her body mostly covered by her golden and steel-coloured armour. The I'ee guardian was only armed with her bladed gauntlets, mandibles and stinger augmentations, having lost her gun some time ago. She knew that she posed no real threat, but the thought of being idle in a fight was an upsetting one.

There was a subtle thud as their ship was pulled up against the Yamataian craft, and Sally found herself shivering a little, hugging Edtoto again protectively as they waited for the arrival of their alien hosts. Yui waited by their airlock door, her arms folded across her thorax, standing protectively in front of her cowering sister.

Edtoto was a little absent in her thoughts as things happened a little faster than she could process. She could pick up a word or two here and there, but things were happening too fast for her to figure it out. At this point, Edtoto was just paying attention to Sally and Yui, trying to gauge the situation from there. Yui was getting ready for a fight by the looks of it, and Sally was just plain nervous. Was something going wrong?

When she felt the ship bump, she realized what was going on. They were being boarded, and Yui at the very least was getting ready for a fight. When she felt Sally grab her, she looked down. No doubt about it, something was wrong. She placed a hand on Sally, trying to work her way out of the wasps several set of limbs. "Don't... Worry" She said, tapping the screen on her face. "We protect. I not afraid" She added, giving a thumbs up. She stepped up beside Yui, looking over all the blades and hefted her own smg. She would have to avoid friendly fire it seemed.

Power Armor Bay

Rin returned Inukai's crisp salute and looked over the assembled members in their gear. "It goes without saying that I'm not one to implicitly trust aliens of any sort except at the business end of my rifle. But these I'ee likely have useful intelligence for us, and that means we have to engage with them. And as you may already be aware, we are also very likely to have to protect them against their own kin who are bearing down on us at this very minute."

The veteran grumbled once to herself as the thought of an alien internecine conflict starting because of her actions today struck a little too close to home, as worries of another such civil war of a much more Yamataian flavor occupied too much of her innermost thoughts when she was alone... but now was not the time to dwell on Uesu's true plans before they had even found the exiled Emperor.

Turning to regard their new science officer, and then the others in turn through her armor's speakers, the XO issued her commands. "Blesi-hei, since you seem the most chatty and likely interested in how many limbs our visitors have, I'm placing you in charge of making small talk. Masashiga-hei, I want you to study their vessel and technology from your engineering standpoint. Inukai-hei, watch our ambassador and their entourage very carefully... they have something or someone hidden aboard that has angered their cousins enough to barrel-through white-hot stars to get it, and I want to know what that is."

She paused a moment, before speaking directly the two infantry members. "Leverton-hei, I'm counting on you and Eir-hei to provide security for this little meeting. Exercise restraint where possible... but if combat erupts during our negotiations, don't be afraid to give them a much warmer welcome." Rin raised the ABSR in her other hand slightly for emphasis, though kept ti down to appear at least a little less threatening at the outset.

That done, the teal haired Minkan stepped with her Mindy towards the forcefield opening at the end of the bay. The golden, spherical craft had bumped into it and was hanging there caught in the graviton beams. With only a momentary pause to draw in a determined breath and put on her best diplomatic face with some effort, Hoshitomo-shoi moved to knock on the airlock door before the team with three taps from her metallic fist.

Hopefully the occupants would open it on their own and make this easier...

Last edited:
"Please don't shoot unless necessary, Edtoto. Understand?", Sally insisted, fussing over her Vekimen passenger like an overbearing aunt. "We need to appear as peaceful as possible, since me and Yui are ambassadors."
"As well as the fact that their firepower greatly outmatches ours.", Yui added with a snort, still facing the airlock door with folded arms, to which her sister let out an exasperated huff.

Tung-Tung-Tung

A knock sounded from the other side of the door, causing the two I'ee to stiffen. "They wish to be let in.", Yui reported, shaking her sister out of her brief, nervous trance. Toddling in front of her sister, Sally opened the air-lock door, revealing another door just behind with a pressure and air gauge attached to it, which the little ambassador looked over carefully. The pressure levels were almost level, so Sally twisted a knob ever-so-slightly, a soft hiss sounding throughout their hull as the air pressure changed to match that of the Heartbreaker.
"I... I'm opening the door now.", Sally stammered, more for herself than the other two, and pressed the button to open the next door.
---
From the perspective of the team waiting in the power armour bay, the door slid open with a slight hiss, revealing a tiny, insectoid alien standing in front of them. At about four feet tall, the armour-clad crew towered over it; a fact that the alien seemed painfully aware of, visibly shivering in front of them.
The black, square panel affixed to the insectoid creature's face lit up with a simplistic and perhaps charmingly innocent image; a stylised pair of eyes and a smiling mouth.
"...Hello!", a synthesised, feminine voice sounded after a brief pause, speaking in Yamataian and emitted by a small speaker attached to the creature's left mandible. "My name is Sally. It's... nice to meet you!" Despite the cheery fakeness of the artificial voice, it couldn't hide Sally's visible fear of the armour-clad Yamataians.

Behind the little alien was another, taller by about one foot and dressed in simplistic, golden armour: A helmet with two visors to accomodate the large eyes, with a crest of razor-sharp spines adorning the top of the head. Armoured plating covered some of the thorax and the entirety of the abdomen, with greaves covering each leg. The only visible weapons carried by this alien were a pair of bladed gauntlets worn on her upper-arms, complemented with a pair of small, scutum-like shields on the lower pair; coloured a vaguely blueish steel rather than gold.
"...And this is Yui.", Sally spoke up again, motioning at the armoured insectoid. "She is my sister. And this..."
Sally turned and pointed to another figure, very noticeably different in physiology compared to the two I'ee. "This is Edtoto, our passenger... and the object of our relatives... um, bad mood..." Though Edtoto was quite obviously not human, most of the creature's body was covered by a form-fitting flight-suit of sorts.
---
By now, the Thoot patrol craft was bearing down upon the Heartbreaker, showing no signs at all of stopping; angled so that it would plow straight through the tiny, Ee'ith ship with no regard for the Yamataian craft's presence. The tiny mining tugs that had launched from the craft were beginning to circle like vultures, waiting for their mothership to attack first before flying in.

A bright, yellow flash of lightning and scattering motes heralded the arrival of a second patrol craft, having dropped out of FTL uncomfortably close to the Heartbreaker, currently positioned in the path of its damaged sibling. The second craft noticed its mistake, firing its engines at full throttle while the first craft swerved to avoid it. Only having narrowly avoided disaster, the speeding patrol craft flew well past the Heartbreaker; still in flames, while the second assumed its damaged condition to be the fault of the Yamataian craft.

WE KILL
, was the only warning it sent before it started firing its broadside weapons blindly in the direction of the Heartbreaker, sending hunks of magnetised metal flying at it; most missing, some bouncing off the craft's shielding. Meanwhile, the mining tugs, seeing their parent ship flying off course, dive in towards the Heartbreaker, mechanical arms outstretched with the intent of tearing the ship apart 'by hand'.

Last edited:

Ingrid turned on her suit's audio recorder and recited into it without broadcasting.

“Begin log.

“I am Santo Hei Blesi Ingrid aboard the YSS Heartbreaker, in the Shekhinah system. Taii Tsukisaki Valesti commands. The time is shortly after 16:00.

“We are about to make first contact with unknown alien species. I had wagered 700 KS against my crewmates that the aliens would have two limbs. I have since had to reset my expectations as I find it statistically unlikely to find more space chickens when we have a ship full of them right here.”

The alien vessel was tractored into position against the Heartbreaker with a gentle bump.

“The aliens have identified themselves as the I’ee and they have indicated they have aboard their diplomatic ship a passenger that is a fugitive of sorts. Fugitives sheltered by diplomats tend not to be thugs or hooligans, so there are some questions that will need answers before we take sides in the matter. Questions best asked by Tsukisaki-Taii and Hoshitomo-Shoi and our intelligence officers. Not concerns for a scientist.”

Rin turned to her and instructed her to occupy the aliens with minor chatter. Ingrid signalled acknowledgement while she continued to issue orders to the rest of the group.

“Correction: the fugitive is now a scientist’s concern. I have orders to chat up our visitors and I’m afraid I may end up navigating a political minefield. The worst case scenario is that I plunge the Star Empire into another interstellar war but considering we’re Yamataian, I’d probably get a medal. Heck, if I really screw the pooch, the medal might even be named after me. The Blesi Star Sword. Got a ring to it.

“Note: edit this log before submission.”

The bay doors to the PA bay opened up revealing the hull of the alien vessel.

“Getting back on topic: their ship is currently docked outside our power armor bay. The hull is a golden coloured metal and the construction material doesn’t seem to be of any particular sophistication or modernity. A more detailed examination may be necessary.

“Is that a rust spot?”

Rin approached the vessel and gave it three raps.

“Hoshitomo-Shoi has knocked on their hull and now we wait for the aliens to answer. If they fail to answer, I wonder how the shoi will escalate this. Will she just knock harder? Will she kick the door in? Will she fire up a hull cutter? I hope she doesn’t use a demo charge, we’re really close to the other ship right now.”

The door opened, revealing the pair of insectoid I’ee and their guest.

“They are giant space bugs. Many limbs. I’ll not harass my crewmates for declining to place bets.

“Two of the aliens have six limbs, one is apparently wearing armor, the third alien—clearly not the same species—is wearing armor as well. One of the bugs is wearing an LED that is smiling at us. They’re speaking now.”

Sally introduced herself and then Ingrid keyed her mic.

“Hello, uh, Sally. And Yui. And hello, Edtoto. I am Santo Hei Blesi Ingrid of the Star Army of Yamatai,” she indicated Rin, “and this is Shoi Hoshitomo Rin.”

Ingrid bowed formally, then the Thoot opened fire.

Sayoko nodded, sending a brief message of acknowledgement to the ship's XO...

Hoshitomo-Shoi,

Acknowledged.

Inukai-Hei

...then, feeling quite......uncomfortable, given that protocol dictated she was unable to hold her LASR at the ready (lest she appear "threatening") or utilize any form of cover (for the same reasons), tensed up as Rin approached the sphere-shaped vessel floating with a deceptive tranquility at the other end of the compartment - for the Nitô Hei's training was insistent that an ambush was awaiting the Shoi.

Tung-Tung-Tung

The SAINT Operative braced herself for the inevitable fusillade of gunfire, grenades, explosives, or worse.

From the perspective of the team waiting in the power armour bay, the door slid open with a slight hiss, revealing a tiny, insectoid alien standing in front of them. At about four feet tall, the armour-clad crew towered over it; a fact that the alien seemed painfully aware of, visibly shivering in front of them.
The black, square panel affixed to the insectoid creature's face lit up with a simplistic and perhaps charmingly innocent image; a stylised pair of eyes and a smiling mouth.
"...Hello!", a synthesised, feminine voice sounded after a brief pause, speaking in Yamataian and emitted by a small speaker attached to the creature's left mandible. "My name is Sally. It's... nice to meet you!" Despite the cheery fakeness of the artificial voice, it couldn't hide Sally's visible fear of the armour-clad Yamataians.

Behind the little alien was another, taller by about one foot and dressed in simplistic, golden armour: A helmet with two visors to accomodate the large eyes, with a crest of razor-sharp spines adorning the top of the head. Armoured plating covered some of the thorax and the entirety of the abdomen, with greaves covering each leg. The only visible weapons carried by this alien were a pair of bladed gauntlets worn on her upper-arms, complemented with a pair of small, scutum-like shields on the lower pair; coloured a vaguely blueish steel rather than gold.
"...And this is Yui.", Sally spoke up again, motioning at the armoured insectoid. "She is my sister. And this..."

The SAINT Operative was, to put it extraordinarily mildly, shocked; despite her air of professionalism, Inukai Sayoko was still a very, very young wet-behind-the-ears Neko - and no one, not her Army instructors nor even her SAINT instructors had prepared her for something like this. What in the name of the Empress? Insectoids? - a pause, as the Hei reigned her thoughts back in - ...Probability of hostile intent? Low. Observation: High probability of variance in rank and/or role as shown by usage of armor. - another pause - Additional contact spotted. Probability of hostile intent? Insufficient data. Observation: Difference in physiology.

Sally turned and pointed to another figure, very noticeably different in physiology compared to the two I'ee. "This is Edtoto, our passenger... and the object of our relatives... um, bad mood..." Though Edtoto was quite obviously not human, most of the creature's body was covered by a form-fitting flight-suit of sorts.

The platinum-haired Neko blinked as she highlighted "Edtoto" in her AIES and, along with said targeting data, sent the Heartbreaker's Executive Officer another message. That was...surprisingly easy, provided they're being honest...

Hoshitomo-Shoi,

Operating on the assumption "Sally" is to be trusted, the alien designated in the attached AIES data - "Edtoto" - is the cause for hostilities.

Inukai-Hei

Her task complete (for the moment), Sayoko resumed tracking the movements of the anomalous third alien as Blesi-Hei introduced herself and the Shoi - then, as the deckplate of the Yui 7-class Scout trembled ever so slightly, reflexively grabbed her LASR...

Skade’s stomach grumbled as she listened to Rin's orders. I get to look at shiny things? OK. It's some kind of compensation for missing the battle.

"Yes, ma'am," the Neko said, gripping her Sabre-Rifle tightly. “I'll keep an eye out for anything particularly dangerous or otherwise interesting." Maybe some hidden superweapon? Probably not, but you never know.

Alien (Ee'ith) Ship

As the XO knocked on the airlock and the lock opened up to reveal the insect-like aliens, Skade’s lips twitched in amusement at their size. Hey, we’re finally not the shortest things in the universe…well, except for the mini-Nekos.

Now, what is super-shiny around here… the Technician was thinking before the ship rocked under her feet as it got hit by the alien fleet. Argh! I can’t believe I’m missing that battle! Skade shook her head. Focus, girl. Do your best here to help and do what the XO told you to do. And that’s what she did, scanning the room behind the aliens for anything cool/shiny looking.

Heartbreaker, Bridge

As the initial transmission from the patrol craft cycled through to Yamataigo, then Trade, their intentions seemed clear enough. Tsukisaki seemed ever so slightly relieved that the new arrival had made things so simple. "Aliens must die is rather hard to misconstrue. Nakamaru, flag that recording as evidence. And for later examination. It seems to contain several unknown languages." The Mini was handling communications and data gathering, leaving the battle to Usagi. Which the pink-haired Neko seemed rather excited about.

"Funabashi, activate turrets and ready the main cannon."

Airlock

Darren and Eir stood guard just inside the Heartbreaker's Launch Bay, with Veronika and Bettie just behind them in the Power Armor Bay. The small I'ee craft was already getting cramped with just the three aliens and four soldiers on board, any more would simply get in the way. And likely make their new friends even more nervous.

Inside the small ship, most of the conversation was going over Edtoto's head. Sally greeted the new arrivals in Yamataigo, and Ingrid had responded in the same language. The other communications between the two ships had been in Yamataigo, so there was little reason to switch things up now. Edtoto could recognize many of the same words Sally had already used when speaking in Trade, though.

Bridge

"Captain, we have a third contact. Alpha 3 just appeared dead ahead!" Funabashi's voice was rather high pitched as she quickly alerted the Taii. The ramming attack they'd been preparing for was turned into a wild swerve, as the first patrol ship shot past them. Kayoko whirled away from her position guarding the small I'ee craft to move the Heart of Fire to engage the enemies behind them. Suddenly the two arrowhead-shaped drones formed up to either side of the fighter, acting like Kayoko's wingmen. They were firing even before the fighter, although it joined in a moment later, followed by the two rearmost turrets on the Heartbreaker.

"Ochiko, you were not yet given permission to fire. Ochiko!" The MEGAMI seemed to be ignoring Tsukisaki, as her shout was met only by a projection of the same quote her scroll had displayed earlier. Valesti's frown deepened almost to a snarl. "Enough of this. Fire the Shock Cannon at Alpha 3, maximum yield. They may know of Yamatai, but now they will know of her Star Army."

Ambassador Ship

Keeping the small I'ee craft close behind the Heartbreaker had first put the Star Army ship directly in the line of fire, as the patrol craft had no choice but to aim for it to get to their targets. After overshooting their mark after the unexpected turn to avoid their sister ship, Alpha 2 was now free to attempt to fire on the small vessel currently containing the ambassador and her many new friends. The combined fire of Kayoko, the drones and the ship's turrets would not hold them off for long.

The airlock suddenly snapped closed behind the away team as the Heartbreaker repositioned the little shuttle. It was slid down under the larger Yamataian craft, opening the way for Darren and Eir to blast out of the Launch Bay, with Veronika and Bettie following close behind. The four added their aether fire to the mix, striking down Tugs left and right, and scoring hits on the main patrol craft.

At their new location under the Heartbreaker, the inhabitants of the little ship were treated to quite the sight. A brilliant cone of light, crackling with energy, blasted from under the bladed nose of the Yui. Sensors on the ambassador's craft went wild as such a powerful weapon was fired so close to it. And as the violent disruption of space faded...there was little left to see. Debris drifting in front of the Heartbreaker, where the comparatively massive patrol ship had been moments before, only a few stray Tugs that had been deployed out of range surviving the blast.

"Alien craft, we repeat, cease your aggression and disengage, or be destroyed. You have ten seconds to comply." Usagi looked positively pleased with herself, eyes gleaming as she began reorienting the Heartbreaker to face the original patrol craft that had slipped behind it, carefully monitoring the recharging main weapon.

Open Space
When the 'Alpha Three' patrol craft received the full fury of the Heartbreaker's shock cannon, it effectively ceased to exist; around twelve hundred crew lost instantaneously. The small mining tugs seemed either shocked or stunned by the sudden and total destruction, drifting aimlessly as they were picked off by the Yamataian escorts. Alpha Two, the initial hostile mining ship, was not so strongly affected, performing a long, looping turn to preserve its momentum before speeding directly for the Heartbreaker again. The fires engulfing the ship were swiftly growing out of control, even with the cold, vacuum of space surrounding it, so it seemed the crew had no intent upon surviving their attack.

A distant, yellow flash appeared as another patrol craft arrived, much further away than its unlucky predecessor. Another two flashes, closer to the Heartbreaker, marked the arrival of two more. Each craft only paused briefly before silently turning to face the object of their fury, engines flaring to bring them to full speed.
Each craft made no response to the warnings given, either being too enraged to pay them notice, or not even able to properly understand what was being said. Alpha One's only reply was the same message it had been sending before, firmly stating its desire to kill 'aliens'.
---
Ee'ith Ambassador Sphere
The little I'ee ambassador almost jumped when the Heartbreaker's airlock snapped shut, then stumbled and toppled awkwardly back against her sister when their ship was repositioned. "What's wrong?", she asked Ingrid nervously, the smiling face on her mask changing to a concerned frown. "Are the Thoot attacking you?"
"Yes, the Thoot are attacking.", Yui answered the question for her sister, having dashed over to the control panel to take a look out at open space. Sally seemed to panic at the thought of open conflict ruining her diplomacy, and began rapidly chattering and squeaking at the Yamataian team whilst hopping from one foot to the other in a manner that was quite comical.

Finally, she seemed to remember that she was speaking her native language, her voice stuttering emotionlessly from its speaker. "Please! You need to get away from here! The Thoot are irrational and won't listen to reason!", she begged, clasping her forelimbs placatingly beneath her 'chin'. "They don't stand a chance against your ship. It'll be a slaughter!"
---
Open Space
A fourth yellow splash of particles marked the arrival of a fifth craft, arriving dangerously close as one of its comrades had. The particles seared across the Heartbreaker's shielding, thankfully rendered harmless, while some of the drifting wreckage left by the mining tugs disintegrated at their touch.
With each aggravated ship arriving, yet more threatening and illiterate messages bombarded the Heartbreaker, almost as if it were being attacked by an army of angry spam bots.

Engineering

Kamatari shock his head as he watched the screens his body hadn't moved his eyes fixed to the screens, his breathing slow and deep, he looked like he was in a trance as he kept mumbling "You will be okay, I won't let them harm you and if they do, I will repair you" he could see a couple of the messages and growled "If they keep doing this, I will personally go over there and turn their ship to scrap metal." He gripped the panel and sighed "I need to stay calm, I need to look after the ship and make sure we don't loose it."

YSS Heartbreaker, Medical Bay

Luna-Hei paced along a circular route, hands clenching, mind racing. First contact had taken a hard left turn and Carlos had already fallen into a sea of theoretical scenarios. At worst, war was on the horizon with a race the empire knew nothing about. At best, well, that would be up for debate. Though the thought of saving an alien dignitary on the operating table would cross his mind, it would also quickly find it's grave. Somewhere between his lack of xeno-biological know how and the mountain of more likely occurrences.

Ee'ith Ambassador Sphere

Ingrid listened to Sally’s plaintive and frenetic pleading as the ship was repositioned. She was about to respond when a flash of light through the viewport caught her attention. She rushed over behind Yui and braced herself to look outside. A cloud of glowing debris was all that was left of the patrol craft. It had been utterly pulverized by the Heartbreaker’s main cannon in a single blast. She whistled through her teeth and muttered, “It’s already a slaughter.”

She closed off the external speakers on her suit and radioed to the squad, “We’re going to need a plan to get back on board the Heartbreaker and we may need to take these aliens with us.”

She then turned back to Sally and asked through her suit’s speaker, “Sally, who are the Thoot? Why are they attacking us? Why won’t they listen to reason?” She turned towards Edtoto and asked, in Yamataigo, “And why are you so important to them?”

Last edited:
Ee'ith Ambassador Sphere

"Each craft holds one thousand, five hundred crew members.", Yui commented cooly to Ingrid as they both peered out at the battle, in a manner that was vaguely accusatory. Sally, meanwhile, was clutching at her head, whimpering with concern and still hopping from one foot to the other repeatedly.
"They're our relatives!", the ambassador squeaked to Ingrid, the LED mask on her face now displaying an animated, crying face. "Edtoto was frozen when her ship drifted too close to their mining base. Now they're angry: Angrier than you could ever be!" Desperate for comfort, the little I'ee dashed over to Edtoto's side, giving her another obsessive hug.
"Edtoto only knows a little bit of Trade speak.", Sally told Ingrid, squeezing the confused Vekimen in her little arms. "I don't know how she ended up drifting out here." Sally then quietly communicated to Edtoto that the Yamataians were intending upon helping her, as best as she could manage with the limited vocabulary. Yui, meanwhile, was plodding back over from where she had been watching the battle to stand beside her sister.

Edtoto watched everything going on, having no idea what was being said. They went from her sorta being able to understand a very small fraction of what they were saying, to nothing at all. The sounds weren't even along the same patterns, let alone the words. She stood there, always weary of the actions going on. When the ship started shaking, she grew even more nervous, but nothing came of anything in that but more talking in a language she didn't understand.

Then Sally hugged her, continuing to talk. The front creature from the other ship seemed to be looking directly at Edtoto. She didn't know what to say, so she said the only thing she knew how to say.

"Hello... I am... Edtoto Sivaro"

The vocalization seemed strained. A little more strained than usual. Hopefully, Sally or Yui wouldn't comment on it, but as of right now Edtoto didn't trust these people. The less they thought she knew, the easier things would be for her. They would know she was intelligent though. Setting the bar low was good, though, cause then she might even exceed expectations and be considered valuable. She thought for a moment, then decided to, at least, demonstrate intelligence. She lifted a hand, and started to knock the prime numbers into the bulkhead. Anyone who knew basic math would be able to tell they were prime numbers.

((OOC: Internet points for anyone who can identify the reference to a popular Sci-Fi Reference))

Ee'ith Ambassador Sphere

Hoshitomo-Shoi remained silent and aloof at first after her knock, standing tall and proud in her battle raiments to both inspire and intimidate their visitors as Blesi-hei officially did the greetings. When her name was announced, she turned her Mindy's helmet transparent briefly, as Sally, Yui and Edtoto saw the firm gaze and short teal hair of the XO regarding them with some degree of interest.

"Yui?" she intoned, seeming a bit surprised to hear that name used so suddenly by the alien visitors. A memory flashed through her digital mind briefly, of the time several years ago on the YSS Senbu that she had met the bloody catgirl Taisho herself after she had won honors for sabotaging the stolen pirate Chiharu battleship. Perhaps the only Nekovalkyrja in the universe the former Geshrin could truly respect, and who she was now on a secret mission for the royal Ketsurui house. The veteran pursed her lips towards the I'ee, wondering in that moment that if they knew of the legendary Yui then they must surely have at least met Uesu's fleet in passing and were trying to impress their hosts with this scrap of great knowledge.

"So... you know of our illustrious Taisho?" Rin commented to the quieter warrior of the pair, as she kept her own Beam saber pointed downwards non-threateningly at the deck. "Yes, I am the First Officer of the YSS Heartbreaker, a scout ship on an exploratory mission for Imperial clan. It is therefore my duty to inform you of your entitlement to diplomatic protection under the Rights of Early Contact of YE 30, as long as you profess no harm to us or the Empire at large. A copy of these rights will be submitted to you in a language that is of your choosing..."

The Shoi nodded to Inukai-hei after she gave her report, as she too felt the vibrations through her armor when the ship's main cannon discharged and sent a ripple through local space, zero-point energy brought instantly into being where nothing had existed before and tearing the unlucky Thoot patrol craft asunder. So too did her AIES system show Ochiko firing with the VCMAD drones the Minkan had prepared, altogether much faster than expected or ordered. Was this a sign of the veteran MEGAMI's apparent panic that Rin had an inkling of beforehand, as the AI detected more ships joining the fray with every passing moment, even after their fellows were mercilessly erased from existence at a stroke?

Rin heard the third member of the visitors -- and the apparent subject of the battle raging outside -- introduce themself as 'Edtoto'. However, what captured the attention of the officer in charge was the fact that she immediately recognized the tapping on the bulkhead for what it was. Her penchant for logic and mathematics was well-known, and it didn't take more than a second for the icy eyes of the XO to widen as her speakers crackled with a matter-of-fact observation and what might have been a smile. "Prime numbers. Truly the most elegant language of any sentient being."

The Mindy-clad commanding officer looked to the battle outside once more, weighing Sally's impassioned pleas not to slaughter any more of her ill-guided family in defense of their guests, as well as this unusual mathematician alien's presumed value to them. "If your enraged cousins wish to have this other so badly as to incur such levels of casualties, then the best solution is to give them what they want..." Rin's statement seemed cryptic... until she activated her power armor's volumetric systems and used the optical tracking and matching software to project a hologram similar to the Vekimen a couple meters away. "With my shielding module active I could draw their fire briefly, and make Edtoto's double appear to be destroyed. This would make our enemies confused long enough so the real one could escape with us."

Considering what her crewmates knew of her, this was quite the subtle ruse from the usually very direct infantry veteran. Perhaps the language of numbers had sparked something in the woman that words could not.

Ee'ith Ambassador Sphere

Sayoko (having since cautiously joined her fellow compatriots inside the strange interior of the unknown alien vessel) blinked as the airlock snapped shut, then again as the deckplate of the aforementioned vessel shook slightly; fortunately, the Mindy-clad Neko was, thanks to said Mindy's systems, able to ignore the minor inconveniences of gravity and inertia - thus remaining completely stationary, as opposed to, say, the more talkative of the two insectoids, who toppled into its armored companion. Probability of race possessing gravitational manipulation? Low.

It was at that moment a blinding flash of purple-white light (Aether weaponry; high-yield. Probability of shot originating from a Yui 7-class Scout's Ke-D2-W3200 Shock Cannon? High.) silhouetted the room's inhabitants. A few seconds spent examining her PA's AIES proved the SAINT Operative's guess correct - the Heartbreaker had indeed fired its main cannon at something and, as expected, had annihilated it - however the presence of so many additional contacts was......discomforting, to say the least. Perhaps I should request permission to a-

{Santô Hei} Blesi Ingrid said:
“We’re going to need a plan to get back on board the Heartbreaker and we may need to take these aliens with us.”

Agreed, however it would be preferable if a detailed analysis of this vessel and its databanks were obtai-

Yet again, the silver-haired Santô Hei's thoughts were interrupted as someone else in the somewhat-cramped confines of the vessel's compartment spoke - though, interestingly enough, it was this time the figure known as "Edtoto" that was the cause. Observation: ['Edtoto'] Difficulty in verbalization of words. More interestingly, however, was that the creature then began tapping rhythmically on the bulkhead; while she realized it only after Rin had pointed it out, Sayoko, too, had began to notice the beginnings of a pattern. How......peculiar. Observation: ['Edtoto'] Awareness of mathematical concepts, extent unknown.

Upon hearing the XO's plans, the NH-33S Nekovalkyrja blinked for a third time. A brilliant plan, but a dangerous one as well - the loss of a Star Army Officer would not be optimal for the mission. A pause, then via telepathy:

Hoshitomi-Shoi,

May I offer my assistance in executing the operation you have proposed?

Inukai-Hei

Heartbreaker, Bridge

"Captain, we have multiple new bogeys entering local space." Usagi's enthusiasm was fading as the one ship they'd destroyed was immediately replaced by several more. "We dealt with one insect, but it seems we have disturbed the entire hive." Tsukisaki didn't quite realize how right she was, as the pressing battle had drawn most of her attention away from the information the Away Team was streaming back to the Heartbreaker. "We cannot afford the possible losses a full scale battle might entail, even with the odds in our favor. Begin charging for hyperspace fold and order our actively engaged units to return to the ship. Evasive maneuvers."

As the flaming Thoot ship turned back for another pass, the Heartbreaker began rushing to meet it, blasting right past the ship that had appeared so close. The Yui Scout ship began to rotate as it moved forward, the golden glow around the small I'ee ship intensifying as it seemed to roll the round little thing across its hull to now end up on top of the Heartbreaker. The Away Team could see and feel the movement, but it wasn't clear why until they heard and felt the familiar thud of two airlocks connecting, adjusting and working to seal together.

Medical Center

"St-stop pacing! You're making me nervous!" Cosima was wringing her hands as she squirmed anxiously in her seat nearby, watching Carlos walk loops through the small Medbay. The Neko suddenly tilted her head to the side, seeming to listen to something....before even more color drained from her already pale face. "Oh no...the Captain says to prepare to receive the alien ambassadors. A-and they're bringing another, different alien with them!" She stood up, fretting, not sure where to begin.

Ee'ith Ambassador Sphere

"If you are planning a distraction, Ittou, work quickly. We are preparing to depart once fold drive is charged. Have your team escort our...guests...on board." It seemed Tsukisaki had quickly caught up to the conversation, her voice piped into Rin's helmet. "Perhaps if this fugitive appeared to be seen commandeering the alien craft and attempting to escape with it, these...rather focused creatures may be drawn away to seek its destruction? I'm sure our guests can be convinced to volunteer their ship for sacrifice, considering their situation." Cold as ice.

The group on board the tiny ship was treated to another impressive display, as the Heartbreaker rushed straight towards the flaming Thoot ship, turrets picking off the smaller craft as they advanced. The fearsome Shock Cannon firing once again, filling the area with light, before the Heartbreaker flew right through the now empty space the enemy had occupied mere moments earlier.

Open Space

The first patrol craft disintegrated, finally put to rest by the Heartbreaker's main cannon, with what little debris left over swept aside by the Yui scout vessel. The other patrol craft closing in slowed their pursuit somewhat, having witnessed the destruction of their brethren, before stopping entirely.
MURDERERS, one of the patrol craft sent to the Heartbreaker; this time solely in Yamataigo. WE WANT ALIEN. GO BACK TO YAMATAI.
What few mining tugs still bravely assaulted the Heartbreaker were now trying to pull away and retreat back to their parent vessels, reflecting the swiftly waning enthusiasm amongst the Thoot's fleet.

Ee'ith Ambassador Sphere

Inside, the two I'ee observed the demonstration of holographic technology by Rin with what seemed to be awe, and in the case of Sally, excitement. The little ambassador chattered excitedly before piping up using her translator. "That technology is amazing!", she exclaimed, sounding almost like she was complimenting the Yamataians for using it. "And a deception would leave no one hurt! I think it is a wonderful idea!"

For once, Yui seemed enthusiastic as well, nodding her head in agreement. "It would be preferable, not to mention making my sister's task much easier.", she added, turning and heading to the ladder at the port side of the cabin, climbing up the sloping wall to the one of the cargo cages.
Her sister seemed confused, her claws clattering on the metal floor as she followed Yui. "What are you doing?", Sally squeaked up at her, still speaking in Yamataian.
"This deception would work best with a large target.", the warrior sister replied in a matter-of-fact fashion. "I imagine the Yamataians would rather us sacrifice our craft rather than the other way around. Especially since they like such... large armour. Catch, sister."

Sally squeaked and rushed to catch a crate dropped by her sister, only just managing to save it from impacting the floor. "B-but...!", she protested, her artificial speech still capable of spluttering, before being cut off by another item dropped for her to catch. "M-my ship, Yui! It has all my work! My things!"
"That is why we are packing up.", the warrior sister replied, before raising her voice for the Yamataians to hear; more simply raising the volume of her speakers than trying to replicate the real thing. "We shall use our ship to aid in your plan, Yamataians. The Thoot would sooner destroy it than you, in any case."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back