• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Valiant Mission 2

Zakalwe

Inactive Member
Arild finished his delicious meal with a sigh, "Yue that has to be one of the nicest things I have eaten, certainly while I've been stationed on the ship. Now I think we have to get a move on, and find where that ship came from."

Doshiki finished a few seconds before hands and was picking his teeth with a smile. "Yes, I have to agree that was indeed one of the nicest things I've eaten in quite a while, if not ever." he stretched and stood pushing his chair back under the table. "Have we any ideas already so we can start going in the right direction or is this just all investigative?"

Sakue pushed her plate and licked her fingers. "Shouldn't we wait for someone to pick up the mishhu ship before leaving ? I don't think that they are going to leave an empty ship in our hands without trying to retrieve or blow it."

"We've managed to detect a trail in hyperspace caused by the damaged ships engines. We can follow that, given Hyperspace Drives habit of travelling in straight lines." He turned his head to Chloe, "I think we can trust on the high ups to ensure that works, it's our of our hands." And speaking to all of them in a more commanding voice, "Doshiki, get to the Pilots station, Karin engineering, Garret Tactical, Yue Sensors, Sakue on Navigation, but in the Main bridge." Arild bowed to Yue as the chef, and proceeded out of the room, slipping into the no gravity area, and proceeding up to the Bridge.

"Captain, the creature has awoken." Megami said to Arild, speaking from his collar.

Arild swore subconsciously, just as he got things moving, "Alright, everyone take your positions, I'll go talk to this creature we rescued." He began to move himself to the med-bay.

Doshiki started heading to the bridge in order to get to the pilots station.

"Sir, you may want someone with you. The creature may be aggressive, after all." Sakue stopped and waited for an answer.

"I'm sure that Megami will be able to protect me if it turns nasty." Arild replied, striding away, "And I'm not completely defencless." He patted the Xaser Pistol on his belt. Entering the med-bay he saw the creature on the med-bay stirring, "Val, can you translate his language yet?â€

Arild was walking to the med-bay to check up on Jara, when he saw the Seelie walking out of the relevant door, and waving his arms in a rather undignified fashion. Clearly he was not used to operation in a zero gravity environment.

"Need some help?" Arild asked, doing a very good job of not laughing.

"What sorcery is this?" Jara responded, clearly very uncomfortable about the whole floating deal.

"Ah." Arild had to think about how to explain this, "You know of the stars that are above the sky?"

Jara looked at him in an insulted look, "I am not an idiot Elder."

"I'm sorry if I suggested you where. But once you are off the world, there is nothing to keep you on the ground, so you float." Trying to explain gravity was a little confusing.

"Then why did I not float in the healers or in the demon ship?" Jara asked, deeply sceptical about the whole deal.

"Uhm, that's because of something called Artificial Gravity. Basically we make the ground attract you again. And the reason we don't have it in the halls is to save energy, we navigate by grabbing hold of those hoops and dragging ourselves along, you'll get used to it." Arild replied, "We've arrived at your planet, and are planning to go down to the surface. Do you wish to come with us?"

"I wish to return to my village.â€

Sakura had been sitting in the shuttle for a while now, getting restless due to a lack of action she began to restlessly pace the compartment she was in, ‘How long is this going to take!' She stopped moving and sat down, telling herself to save her energy. She sat there doing nothing for a few minutes when the Pilot called to tell her they were nearing the Valiant; ‘Finally' she let out a sigh of relief and got ready to get off.

The pilot and the ships computer went through the quick ritual of call and response, identifying the occupant in particular.

"Santô Hei Mitsuya Sakura requests permission to come aboard sir." Val told Arild, coming through his suits communication system.

"Let her in," Arild responded. So their newest member had arrived, "Tell her to go with Yue's group down the the planet if she thinks she's ready." He continued to the Fox.

The shuttle navigated, the bay doors opened, and the pilot repeated the procedure of sliding a metal plank as a form of bridge between the shuttle and the ship.

Sakura left the shuttle and stepped down onto the hanger bay floor, she dropped her luggage and started stretching her back, she was anxious to do something, "AI, am I needed for anything, or should I just go and unpack?â€

"I'll take the point." Sakue moved forward. "So, uhm, Jara, anything dangerous ahead? Like rifts, land mines, or any thing that could hinder us?"

"The only mines we have are in the mountains, and we have few." Jara said, pointing towards the mountains to the north, "Other than the trees there is no hindrance." However the trees where very thick, not hard for one of The Seelie to pass through though.

Arild floated to where the foliage was the thinnest and began to make his way down the forest, "How would he know what a Land-mine was Sakue?" He communicated over radio, "Oh, and after Sakue's response, keep radio silence as long as possible."

Sakue's voice crackled as she responded by radio. "I thought Val would have translated it to something more understandable. My bad." Then, turning off her microphone, she added "Err, by land-mine, i meant things that goes boom when you walk near them."

Jara thought about this for a moment and replied, "There is nothing that explodes if you go near them. I have heard of some plants in the south that do, but none up here." Jara swung into the forest after Arild.

Arild continued to move forward, as quietly as a power armour floating through a thick forest could be, keeping his sensors on maximum to try and make sure he wasn't caught by surprise. If the Mishhu where trying to be stealthy then he might not detect them, be he war relying on them wanting to intimidate the Seelie by remaining visible.

As they got nearer the energy discharge, Sakue slowed, her weapon readied.

Arild's sensors picked up a life sign coming directly from ... above. Glancing up he saw the hideous tentacled contraption aiming at him with a scalar weapon. Not willing to stand around long enough to be shot at he dived to one side.

Jara knew better than to attack one of the Demons the strangers called Mishhu and hid behind a tree.

Sakue, hearing the noise behind her, turned around. The hell ? Where are they ? Setting her sensors at full scale, she picked up the sneaky Mishhu hiding in the trees. Ah HA! That's why they're hiding Aiming through the leaves with the help of her sensors, she opened fire.

Karin making up the rear of the party saw the Mishhu descend and firing at Arild, or at least presuming it was, despite their being no sign from the weapon being fired, or in fact of the armours natural anti-gravity systems rendering it useless, but opened fire at around the same time Sakue did.

The Mishhu dropped to the floor, very little remaining of its body. The attack had been very successful. Unfortunately it had included a lot of energy being released.

Jara turned peeked out from behind the tree, and saw the burning corpse, "The visitors had done it, killed a demon." He thought, knowing he was stating the obvious, even to himself. He was fairly amazed however, somehow he had still thought of the 'Mishhu' as being invulnerable.

Arild picked himself up from the role and quickly hovering over to the remains of the Mishhu incinerated what was left of it, "These bastards'll regenerate from surprisingly little." He communicated to Sakue and Karin, guessing that radio silence wasn't really necessary since every Mishhu within ten or so kilometres would have noticed the energy outburst.

"Yeah, they must know we're here now. We should hurry." Sakue muttered over radio

"Indeed. Charge!â€

The screen began to flash a lovely crimson colour. Now, Garret wasn't exactly a technical genius – good though he was – but somehow red was always bad wherever you went. The display suddenly flooded with hostiles. "Crap...â€

"I don't want to sound rude, but, may I suggest introducing yourselves inside the cave, we can use some kind of shelter, the Mishhu will probably manage to find us if we stay in the open." said Sakue, right after Jara's greeting.

Jara glared at Sakue furiously, for breaking the ritual, but withdrew his hand slowly, "Protection is of course more important than tradition." He said, somewhat sarcastically.

Doshiki looked around and slowly started to enter the cave system "So how deep do you think it goes?" he asked trying to make small talk.

"Sensors show the cave to go deep. How deep is deep I have no ideaâ€

"Alright people, for this assault we need to plan, and to allocate positions. Who here is best suited for frontal assault, long distance fire and recon respectively?" Arild had a fair idea of their abilities, but it was important for someone to do what they were fairly confident in, at least to take part in a frontal assault on a heavily armed Mishhu ship, "Ito and Jara, your imput will be to describe the terrain but it is too dangerous for you to take part in the assault."

Sakue scratched her head. She wasn't really equipped for a shooting spree. And she wasn't really thrilled by sneakiness.
"I can go for long range shooting. The Kylie's railgun can be pretty effective. I could try to find a high spot with clear view at around 10 kilometers or so from the target, and provide covering fire for the recon and assaut guys."

"Well now!" Sakura exlaimed, face lined with glee as she imagined a full frontal assult, "I'm the type of gal that likes for a person to know Exactly whats hit him, so I'm up for the frontal assaut!" Sakura twirled her gun around for a second, before checking it's current battery, and how many spares she had. Plenty was the answer.

Ito just sat in the corner of the cave, it was hard to take in, so he just sat there until someone would explain what the fuck was going on.

He drifted past fluorescent lights, up through the weightless corridors as Garret navigated his way along the vessel and towards the armoury. Spinning round, a gesture snapped towards an empty wall, harsh words in retaliation to a phantasm's incessant provocation. The conversation wasn't saying good things about the relative state of his sanity....but then again; it had been a bad day.

The doors slid open, he flew in, and Garret pressed his head against the wall and breathed. Cold sweat dripped to the floor, he looked around the room. It was over there, stored in the corner...the box, its matte black sheen, and more importantly its cargo. His eyes narrowed, he glared, and then drifted over.

Of course it was locked

That annoyed him, that annoyed him a lot and for a few, seething seconds he seriously contemplated both randomly pounding in buttons or actually just kicking the box, but he was fairly certain that either would upset the rather delicate[/i] cargo. He leant against the nearest wall and stood in silent thought for a few minuets.

There were a few roads open for him to choose. Perhaps, just maybe he could armour up, drag the morbid coffin towards the planet before hurling it down to earth where it would impact with a satisfying crunch and an accompanying crater. The reaper would rise from the ashes and wreak a bloody vengeance on every living Mishu that was living on the continent. He laughed – wide eyed – to himself with glee. That sounded fun, very fun indeed.

The other option was to get someone who knew the code to tell him what it was. The Captain was busy – distracting him now could prove lethal to either him or any of the team – and that was the last thing Garret wanted. The crew, his friends, needed to all come back alive! They weren't supposed to die, but with the way things were they might – which is why he was planning to send them reinforcements – and the only other person who could possibly know the code would be...

"Oh Valiant...â€

Sakue's voice crackled through the Valiant communication system.

"Hey, Garret, I need you to pinpoint a firing spot. High grounds, clear view, 9 to 12 kilometers from the Mishhu ship. Closer is better. And feed me the weather data, too, pretty please ?"

Then, back to the squad communicator, she added : "I'll need a spotter."

Waiting for the others to deliberate and decide upon whatever course of action they felt most comfortable with, Arild noticed Ito slumped against the wall. Fair enough, he was sure he'd had a bad day, but he also looked somewhat bewildered, or as far as Arilds understanding of Seelie body language went, which wasn't particularly far he'd be the first to admit. Still he thought it might be a good idea to treat the natives with a certain degree of respect; given that he did want to establish some good relations with these creatures at a later point.

Arild turned and walked over to the Seelie, kneeling down and withdrawing his helmet away from his face so the Seelie would be able to see his face, although he would still be relying on the suit to translate the conversation, and to relay his words through the speaker system in Seelie.

"How are you doing kid?" He asked kindly, in a paternal fashion.

Ito was looking at floor when the metal alien spoke to him, 'how I am' Ito said as he slpowly turned his head to face the man. "how do you think I am doing. Today I have discovered that aliens do exist and not just that but that they exist but they are fightring on my planet, over my planet. How would you feel!?" He shouted, standing up "now is it too much to ask that you explain what the hell is going on!"

MEGAMI suddenly spoke up over the intercom: "Additional Mishhuvurthyar ships have been detected, closing in on the Valiant."

3 Ghullfrashirv attack ships had just defolded at a range of just over 1 AU, and were now headed towards the Valiant from a distance, while a hidden Xianthrafruglu began to sneak up on the ship from a different trajectory. The Ghullfrashirvs began firing torpedoes!

Meanwhile, the original Mishhuvurthyar ship with the Seelie prisoners began to power up its hyperspace fold systems. A shimmering yellow light began to envelop its hull.

Henako sat up again. His forehead was covered in sweat, and his clothes where stuck to his skin. He had been in for what felt like years, he really hadn't felt good at all when he had gone to bed. The fact that he had stood up and fainted again didn't make him feel any better. Right now he was feeling quite good. Better than he had in a long time. He stood up slowly and sat there for a second. He just realises he didn't have a clue what was happening or even were they where. He got up and got into his uniform. Strapping his Xaser pistol to his leg he stepped out of his room and into the lunge. "Val, what is happening? I have been out a while.â€

Orbiting the planet, the Valiant's logic went something a little like this:

Last order was to take ‘care of yourself'. Interpretation: protect yourself at all costs. Situation: Under fire by superior numbers. Solution: Strategic withdrawal.

And this is what it did, turning away from the hostile ships and engaging its Hyperspace Fold Drive at maximum speed, heading back to Yamatai in order to fulfil its orders in the most effective fashion. In the micro-second before it left it did however send a message to the crew on the planet:

"Taisa, I am leaving the system. I shall attempt to return with reinforcements.â€

Henako stood in the bridge slight un-aware of what was happening. Val hadn't really said what she was doing and suddenly they were in hyper-space fleeing an enemy which surly would have destroyed them if they had stayed. "Val, please tell me what is happening. As the stand in commander here, I feel I should know." At the moment it was all going over his head, which did still hurt a little bit.

"Taii Kusaki, we are currently leaving the system on a course leading us back to Yamatai." The Valiant replied.

"Oh, right." Henako wasn't sure what to say. He only supposed it was for reinforcements. "We are going to have to talk to Star Army HQ. How long until we exit hyper-space?" Henako sat down in the closest chair. it had been a long day, and it seemed it was going to get worse.

"We shall be passing Nataria in approximately ten seconds, and will reach Yamatai ten seconds after that." The Valiant supplied.

"Right, sure. Well what should I say?" Henako didn't want to say what he was thinking. If it did it would come out something like this. Hello HQ, we have just left Ahmar, and have run away from what seemed to be a huge fleet of Mishu. Ahmar has kind of been taken over by them, but don't worry five or so of our men are down there fighting them. Oh, we left them to. Could we have some more men to fight them please. This could be really bad for Henako, it wasn't his fault but he was the commanding officer on board. So it is down to him. We needed to come back, there was no hope otherwise. He really was going to have to work on this.

While Henako was thinking the twenty seconds passed, and the Valiant faded into existence an AU away from Yamatai, "Your orders, sir?" The Valiant requested.

"My orders, yes." He was still thinking, that twenty seconds had been what felt like five. "Ok, call into HQ and tell them to need to land. I should really speak to someone. We need to tell them what is happening."

The Valiant hailed Star Army Head Quarters, "Taii Henako Kusati requests an audience."

A female voice answered, "With who, sir?"

"Which particular authority do you wish to speak with, sir?" The Valiant asked Henako.

Henako was out of his depth, he hadn't thought about leading a ship just yet. "Val, I'm not sure. Who would be best to speak to at this moment. Who gave us our orders? Taisho Ketsurui Yui? Would I speak to her?" Henako could feel his head throbbing. Breath, your fine. Nothing to worry about. You are in control.

"Our last orders came from Taisho Ketsurui Yui." The Valiant replied, while asking the female voice to hold.

"Taisho Ketsurui Yui it is then." Thats better, take control of the situation.

"Taii Henako Kusati wishes to speak with Taisho Ketsuri Yui." The Valiant informed the female voice.

Yui did answer, but she wasn't pleased. She was on the bridge of a Chiharu-class flagship, the YSS Yamatai. "What is it?"

The Valiant put Henako on the screen.

"Taii, firstly, what the hell is it in your mind that makes you so special that you can just call the head of the Star Army up like I'm your buddy? You're wasting my time. Secondly, why aren't you following the chain of command? You should talk to your captain, who should talk to his commander, who should talk to the fleet admiral, and then if it is important, to me." The Taisho fumed, her eyes smoldering at the lower-ranking officer.

Henako jumped he was talking to Taisho Ketsuri Yui, and she sounded angry at his interruption he really hadn't thought this through. He had to put on a brave face though, and that is what he tried. "I'm Sorry Taisho for calling in on you, I was not sure what the chain of command was as I can not talk to my Captain as he is on planet, and trapped there by Mishu. This is the YSS Valiant and we where sent by you Taisho, to explore and document the star systems that were formerly occupied by the Mishhuvurthyar in Yamatai's Southwest sector. As we were doing this we came across an un-known planet. It's name is Ahmar, the Cpatain went on to the planet with the rest of the crew, and found out that there was a situation down there. An un-known race populates the planet, but Mishu have also arrived, taking them for prisoners. We were doing what we could, showing them the Star Army way when three Ghullfrashirv ships came out of no-where and started attack the Valiant. There was another one on planet. There was nothing I could do, and it seemed more where on their way." Henako didn't know this, but he had to say something more. He mouth was so dry. "They are attacking all Star Army ships without a concern for what they are doing. They are making a return Taisho. I came back to get reinforcements. I'm sorry Taisho, you gave us the orders, so I only thought to talk to you." He bowed his head and looked back at the monitor.

"You're not in the First Expeditionary...I'm transferring you to the commander of your fleet," Yui scowled. "Grow a brain, or get out of the Star Army." The transmission ended, and the window was then replaced by one with Yui's nearly identical daughter, Taisho Ketsurui Sharie, at her desk aboard a 2nd Fleet star fortress.

"Hi there," Sharie greeted Henako. "What's up?"

Henako starred, she looked almost the same but there was a difference. He smiled at her, as she looked in a pleasanter mood that Yui. He began as her had with Yui, "So that is the situation Taisho. I only called to Taisho Yui as she gave use the orders. Very sorry for my mistake, I'm not normally in charge." Henako bowed his head like he had to Yui and waited.

"Don't you think it would be more appropriate to let me know first?" Sharie asked, narrowing her eyes. She wondered what Yui had said on the matter.

"I sorry Taisho I did not know who to speak to. Taisho Yui gave the orders, so I thought to talk to her first." Henako was in a mess, he had just been demoted for something he had no control over.

"So you just left everyone?" asked the Taisho.

"No Taisho, well yes Taisho. However the AI took control of the ship before I said anything." What was he meant to say, that he was sleeping while he should have been on planet.

"If the AI was in control, that means you were not. Do you think your crew is still alive? They could all be dead by now..."

"They are not dead. we got a transmission from them just before leaving. We also let them know what we were doing Taisho."

"Most of the fleet is tied up fighting the Mishhuvurthyar in our sector, and I'm not entirely sure what the Fifth Expeditionary Fleet is doing over there. If possible, I'd like them to handle this because they are right next door."

"Yes, Taisho. What would you like me to do now?" He was short of things to think of right now. He has been disgraced, and he blamed the AI.

"See if you can get in touch with the Fifth Expeditionary Fleet, and get them to send ships. If you can't, I'll have to pull some back from the front lines to do the rescue. In the meantime, the Valiant will undergo a quick upgrade for the next few hours, since you're right by KFY Yamatai anyway. Park near the YSS Sakura from first XF and the KFY technicians will handle it. Tell your crew on the planet to lay low for the time being."

"Yes Taisho. Thank you for listening." Henako stood there. He wanted to move, but he wasn't sure his legs could.

"I'll also be trying to contact Fifth XF, too, and I'll find out if Yui's fleet can spare anybody," said Sharie. "Also, I'll have some of our support people send over fresh food supplies and whatever your MEGAMI knows you need. Contact me if there's any new developments, okay?"

"Thank you very much Taisho. I will get straight to you with any new information." Henako turned the monitor off and called to the AI. "Get on with everything the Taisho told me to do now." He really wasn't amused with the situation. He had been demoted for telling the Taisho what was happening, that was new. It was the bloody AI's fault.

Sharie frowned as she was cut off. Any Star Army officer was supposed to know the higher ranking person was supposed ot be the one to end a conversation. She went to look up Henako's orders out of curiosity, and found Yui had got to them already, bumping him back down to Warrant Officer. "Hrm."

The Valiant proceeded with the tasks allocated to it, parking near the YSS Sakura, and then sending the following message to Arild and his crew, "You are ordered by Taisho Ketsurui Sharie to 'lay low for the time being', we are at Yamati attempting to secure reinforcements."

"Tell them to send more information if they get it." Henako said while sitting down on the chair next to him. He was so tired.

Arild received the orders, and his heart sank. Well that meant that help was not immediately on its way, and that he and his crew were left alone on a foreign planet with numerous enemy vessels orbiting, and with possible remaining hostiles on the surface. He made a mental note to give somewhat more specific orders to a MEGAMI in future. However, now was the time for working out what to do while reinforcements were coming, "Yue, could you speak with me privately for a moment?" He asked the Strategist, indicating an area a little way from where the group was gathered.

"...certainly, Arild." Yue spoke coolly. Though she was not particularly thrilled by the situation either, it was one she had to live with. She followed after him as he drew her away, pondering on the actual possibility of escaping this little slice of hell. She had seen combat now, and had no taste for it, it seemed. Left too much in the way of death and destruction. "...difficult position we are in."

"Indeed," Arild replied in a somewhat distracted voice, "Our last orders are to 'lay low', which sort of scraps my plan of splitting in to two groups. What do you think is the best course of action we can take?"

"I think orders that border on suicide can be damned when we're pinned planetside, Arild." Yue gnawed on her lower lip, thoughtfully, eyes taking on a glassy distance of deep thought. "...we have endless hostiles above, certainly a few more at least here on the ground - even if they are quiet for the time. Splitting into two groups may not be the best of methods either. We need to scout the positions around us. Get a good, clear look at the lay of our playing field. It's slanted against us, clearly, but I'd like to know how much before I resolve with any certainty on a course."

"Agreed," Arild said, "Sakue, take Doshiki to scout the area. I want a detailed layout of the terrain and any hostiles you see. Take especially great care not to be seen, and do not engage if their is an option to escape unnoticed." The second message he sent through radio to Saskue and Doshiki.

"You would however agree that seeking out conflict is not to be desired?" Arild prompted her, "With such overwhelming force here I think it may serve our interests better to avoid this, and possibly try and get to know the indie's a little better."

"...I think its usually in our best interest to avoid conflict, small crew that we have. Especially now that we are cut off. But..." She paused a moment. "...we should be amply prepared for conflict. The board is, as I said, slanted against us. Avoid conflict, but I'm not sure the option will stay with us long."

Arild laughed lightly, "Well that's always the case. We're in power armours at least, which means we certainly have all the equipment we can use, but we certainly can't let our guards down. What do you think of trying to meet more of the 'Seelie'?"

"...it could go either way. They weren't always exactly open and friendly towards us." Yue sighed softly. "...Issue being many of them see us as another invader, I suppose, and a difficult impression to cast aside, when we land on their world with soldiers and weapons. But its a better choice than sitting quietly and waiting to die."

"Agreed. We may as well see if we can further our relationships with these people. As first impressions goes ours really can't be good. I somehow doubt we're going to be seen as saviours who rid them of the 'Demons'." Arild Mused.

"If we even can rid them of the Demons." Yue laughed, humourlessly, the darker recesses of her mind managing most of her thinking. "...stamp out one patch of Mishhu, six more appear from nowhere. Bloody well impossible to keep them down..."

"Yeah," Arild reminisced, "There a new sort of enemy all right. The Elysians never came back this much, refusing to stay beaten. Or captured and devoured people. Mishhu are hard to understand, and as such much more dangerous." He paused, "What do you think of this plan? We shall wait until Sakue returns with the scanned data, and then we shall try and locate any of the remaining Seelie, with the help of those we have among us, and then play it by ear?"

Yue nodded pensively. "...it will work as well as anything alse we can manage. It may be a good idea to leave a token force here to maintain contact should something go wrong. No more than two people... and they should stay hidden..." She was not suggesting it to Arild so much as pondering it to herself, but was entirely audible.

"I did consider that myself," Arild commented, "I think that perhaps Doshiki and Sakura might suit that role. Their talents don't lie in diplomacy from what I've seen."

Before long Saskue and Doshiki returned with their scans of the surrounding area, which was then loaded in to all of the parties HUD's. Arild began looking over the data, taking the form of a birds eyes map, looking for a likely place.

Yue perched next to Arild, looking over her own mappings, ponderously, lips pursed but silent for a time. "...what are we looking for precisely?" There was an exasperated quality to her voice. "...if we need a place to hold for a last stand, I would say the ideal position would be here..." She transferred the coordinates she saw to Arild - a shallow ravine above a low valley. "...as for likely inhabitance, knowing nothing about the Seelie, I really cant say. How do they live, where, why?" Amusement? Yes, probably amusement. "...how odd that I ask this as we are most assuredly on the verge of a death too horrible to imagine."

"Yue, that's not the best way to think. Our death's, while possible, are not 'assured', and if we keep our wits about us we have every chance of surviving until reinforcements arrive. In any case I'd say we're looking for both. If we can't find the Seelie, we are going to have to find some place to hold up for a while which, by the way, you have selected an excellent location for. And as for finding out what sort of area they live, we are so lucky to have some Seelie with us right now." Arild looked over to the Seelie and having the suit translate his words in to their tongue said, "Would any of you care to help us?"

Yue rolled her eyes. "...Arild, you've known me more than a day, and should know that even though logic tells me we are all going to be brutally massacred, there is no reason to accept logic at any point in life." Seriously, officers could be so thick-skulled at times... had her penchant for pessimism ever held her back before? "...and fatalism can be a most incredible weapon, you know." Playful-sounding, now. "...and Arild, surely they know of specific settlements? But it may not be the best of ideas to lead the Mishhu straight to them. If we are to make contact, make it carefully and quickly."

Thoron looked at the thing. He had not thought before at how odd different people could react to things, and this was clearly one thing he had not expected. He though it was common knowledge among Seelie that they would find the highest ground, but at the same time the flattest. This truly was the most simplistic thing he had ever been asked, and yet this thing still asked it. Another thing that worried Thoron was that his home town, Kanamaru, was only past the forest, and yet they hadn't seen it. Was it even still there? "High ground and flat. Kanamaru is just past the forest. It is the biggest settlement around for miles. I shall lead you...if you require."

Arild mused over the HUD, before talking to Yue over private radio, "Do you think we should go to the largest settlement when that is the area that was most likely attacked by the damn Mishhu?"

"No, Arild, I think we should not." Yue stretched her fingers and laughed, bitterly. "If you want my honest opinion, we should probably not approach any settlement at all, and avoid getting them killed. But since we really haven't been given a terrible amount of choice in the matter, and Kanamaru is our nearest option, it should be our first approach. If the Mishhu overran it, we certainly have too many between us and farther settlements to make the plan viable anyway. If they didnt, we may just get out alive."

Nodding Arild spoke in Seelie, "Alright, if you take us to your home that would be great."

Excellent, Thoron thought, a chance for him to shows himself. He stood up slowly, he didn't want to seem to keen. "Nim follow my lead, we are going to have to show ourselves here if we want to get of this land." This was all done telepathically, no one knew they were speaking. "Yes brother." Nim replied in his normal expressionless tone. "Follow me then."

Thoron took the lead and moved around the side of the slope going the opposite way from the settlement. "There is a reason my brother and I know about where we are heading. I shall not explain it, but these routes are only known among the elders, express routes for which they can get through to other settlements without being seen by people. We know them because of what we are, so that no person should see us without absolute need. We will exit from here into the Elders palace which is where you would most likely want to start first." He moved on, the entrance was not far from here, it was just a little round the mountain. It took them little less than five minutes, and as they came close to it could just be mistaken for art. The entrance was a gate that nobody without the knowledge would know to be but a slab of stone. On this stone where carving of trees, and rivers. The key to the gate was in the bottom left corner, it was a leaf. Thoron pressed this leaf and then moved to the middle where their was a rock, he turned this three times and pushed it in. Slowly the rock split in half and made an entrance into total darkness. Thoron stepped through without a care, him and his brother had been through many times. The path was simple and straight. When they came to the end Thoron did the same movement with the door and it slowly opened. It would seem to people that it was the same carving on both sides. As it opened they came out into a small room which had pots and spices in it. This was the store room of the palace.

Arild ordered the crew to follow the Seelie down the network of tunnels, and Ito and Jara followed too, gathering that they were going back to a Seelie settlement and that was better than staying in a cave. The journey went it relative silence, given that while radio silence had not been ordered no-one had much to say.

Looking around the entrance of the small room and after stepping through, Arild said "I think this might be a little small for all of us to fit in to." He said in Seelie, looking around at all the pots, and outside of whatever window like crevice they were using for illumination.

Thoron heard what the things said and moved out of the tunnel and into the store room. There where a lot of them and there would not be enough room. "Outside these doors there is a very long passage with room branching of at regular intervals. At the very end is the Elders conference room. We should head there if anything." Thoron said this quite quickly as he didn't want to be in the room for long. He moved to the door of the store room and opened it slightly. There was no one in the halls, this was slightly odd, but he didn't think of it as he wanted them to go un-noticed. He opened to door fully and stepped into the corridor staying right next to the wall.

Thoron heard what the things said and moved out of the tunnel and into the store room. There where a lot of them and there would not be enough room. "Outside these doors there is a very long passage with room branching of at regular intervals. At the very end is the Elders conference room. We should head there is anything." Thoron said this quite quickly as he didn't want to be in the room for long. He moved to the door of the store room and opened it slightly. There was no one in the halls, this was slightly odd, but he didn't think of it as he wanted them to go un-noticed. He opened to door fully and stepped into the corridor staying right next to the wall.

Yue raised a brow, but followed in relative silence, only occasionally commenting to Arild over the private communication channels. "...you know, I really don't like this." A happy-go-lucky edge to her voice. "If this is the largest settlement for miles, it seems to have already been drained of life."

Arild indicated that Thoron might want to go in first. He didn't want to be the one striding in to a possibly populated room in full battle-armour, without any form of introduction.

Thoron moved forward always on his guard, he had his claws extended although he wasn't sure that they would have much effect if the deamons were around. He got the the end of the corridor, him and Nim had been talking on the way down and there did seem to be something very wrong with the situation. There were always Seelie moving around these corridors, but none now. He knocked four times on the door, then a pause with another two to follow. Yet there was no reply. He pushed the door open and moved in. There was no one there all the Elders were gone. "There is no one here. This is very odd." He said to the thing next to him.

Arild readied his sniper rifle in his hands upon that, and came in to the room looking around him, searching for anything out of the ordinary. Or in this circumstance anything ordinary, since that was far more likely to be dangerous.

Yue, seeing Arild and Thoron's somewhat dubious attitude to the situation, hefted her Type 28 to a more comfortable position. Gods, how she loved those guns! Most firearms she didn't care much for, but the Type 28 SMG was a thing of beauty. "...Arild? Recall what I said about likely endings to the Mishhu getting here first?"

"Yes I do." Arild replied over radio, looking out of the nearest window.

"Do you think," Her voice was sugary sweet as she spoke, "Do you think it would be a good time to alert the crew as to the possibility of us not returning?" Yue almost sounded happy at the thought.

"No I don't." Arild said, "No reason to worry them. Think about it: The Mishhu invade and the Seelie are likely to flee from their towns, where they are more likely to be found and captured. An abandoned house is nothing to be overly worried about."

"The Seelie don't seem terribly comfortable either, Arild." Yue laughed. "...but if you think it for the best, I will resign my opinion."

"I have no problem with your opinion Yue, nor your cynicism. Caution is often a good strategy." Arild paused looking out another window, "I don't see any Mishhu, or any signs of violence."

Thoron wasn't sure were to go next. This is where the Elders always were, apart from one place, but that was impossible, they had never used the area. Or should he say, never had needed to use the area. He should have a look though. He moved slowly over to the wall. "This is not normal, all Seelie stay and fight. This is what we are taught from birth. The only time they run is when there is possibility of extinction, and that rule is usually seen as a joke. Yet there is something that we are also taught from birth. If in any case something does happen like that go to the hidden point."

"Well do you have any idea about where they might be?" Arild asked the Seelie.

"Of course." Nim replied as he walked over to the same wall at which Thoron was standing. "It is the same access code used for the paths. However this one does not consist of trees and rivers." When he looked at it this time there was a picture of Seelie all standing in a bunch claws out in there fighting stance. Nim kicked the lower left Seelies head and the panel moved in, then turned the lead Seelie's chest three times and pushed it. The door came open and noise came out, there was laughter and crying as well as talking from all the Seelie within the chamber below. Nim and Thoron stepped back. This was not there sort of social gathering. The path down to where the Seelie were was a stair case winding down. Yet the noise travelled.

"I'm afraid you're going to have to explain this to me." Arild said, holding his head, "Where are you planning on leading us, and why?"

"Sir, I think we should just follow him" Said Karin, tapping him lightly on the shoulder. "I mean, they're friendlies... and this is a safe place, or as close as it gets on this planet."

"No, I don't think so." Arild said, "Although thank you for your opinion." He spoke out loud in Seelie, "Where does this tunnel lead?"

"Is this thing a total idiot? Where does he think it goes, to the other side of the planet." Nim was slightly confused as he spoke to his brother through the one power they both shared. These things where clearly superior to them, but he didn't know the sound of a crying child, or laughter. Where else could this be but the final hiding place. "It's were everyone gathers when all else has failed." Nim said with a slightly puzzled look on his face.

"Hum. A racial gathering place, set back for times of great need in an attempt to survive in the face of adversity" quipped Karin, smiling. "I think it's safe sir... and again: ..." she finished, tapping her armour for emphasis.

Arild nodded, "Alright, you lead us there now if you're willing." He said in Seelie before broadcasting to his crew, "Be on high alert. Try not to be obvious, but be ready for a less than friendly welcome."

Thoron took the lead once more, he stepped into the tunnel. Nim waited so that he could close it up after they had gone through. It was a winding slope, but nothing too hard. He moved down and ended up next to a double door. He knocked four times, and then twice. All went quite.

"So uhm... why isn't the door opening?" Karin asked Arild, glancing at the two Seelie as she dropped a hand to her hip, resting it over her rifle. "I mean, there's got to be someone on the other side... Our pair can't be the first to arrive."

"I honestly have no idea," Arild replied privatley to Karin, "This is getting repetative and if we come to another door I'm having you break it down." Then he spoke to the rest of the crew over radio, "I don't like this, and I don't like the silence. Ready your weapons." He himself readied his Sniper Rifle.

Karin waited for a moment, nodded at Arild and readied her rifle before charging at the door, her heavy armour making short work of the old wood. She dropped, rolled and came up with her rifle up, aiming around carefully and scanning the new area, seeing little more than an elderly Seelie. "Looks safe sir..." She called back, grinning under her helmet.

Arild walked slowly in to the room, looked around to confirm what Karin had told him, and gestured for everyone else to join him, "Hello, we mean you no harm.â€

Dunam nodded wearily. He was getting very old, and should probably pass on the Elders seat to a younger, and at this moment his age was showing. He couldn't remember what his scout had said. Something to do with creatures, ships and Seelie. From that Dunam could tell nothing. Wait, yes that was it. "I have received message that these daemons are taking members of my community away in their flying objects. I also know that they are being kept to the Holan Fields. Is this so? We will expect you help, many thanks youn... Many thanks." If they were offering help, he didn't want to offend them.

Ahmar System, two months later...

Fragments of a shattered stone door lay at the dark entrance to the hiding place. The halls were so very silent, their walls damaged in spots by signs of high-powered weapons that left behind cave-ins and rubble. Stinking, burned corpses sporadically lined the tunnels, some with weapons, some just children. Taii Koyuki, a coppery-haired Nekovalkyrja, and her science officer, silently explored the area, pushing aside the darkness around them with the bright beams of their service pistols.

"Weizhe, this place creeps me out," the Taii said.

The Shoi nodded. "I'm not showing any signs of life...but a lot of signs of death." He frowned. "I'm looking for the debris of the Valiant crew's power armors."

There was a long pause as Taii Nishimuraya continued down a new passageway, finding a few artifacts and a wall covered in mangled corpses hung from the ceiling. She felt a little sick and put her arm over her face and headed back to Weizhe. "Find anything?" she asked.

Shoi Weizhe looked sad. "Yeah..."

"They killed everyone," Koyuki hissed, full of hatred for the Mishhu and a feeling of loss for the Valiant crew. "Damn them." She started to lead the way back to the ship. It was time to leave this graveyard planet.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back