• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Miharu Mission 3, Debrief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kôsuka let the words of the others wash over her. She noticed the Shosa had said nothing, and when she turned to face the others after Kotori's offer, she saw she was flicking her eyes between Tom and her lap.

She spoke to Tom, dull-gold eyes put squarely into his grey ones. "You and the crew saved my life in battle. That is a debt I can repay by leaving and sparring you all the threat I am duty-bound to make good on."

Then to Kotori. She forced her body to relax, and it made her feel weak. "You seek pragmatism and reasoned solutions to the things you face. This makes me very proud, Kotori. I see why your crew is so loyal to you. But I am not a Star Army soldier. Being a Samurai is my life. If I hadn't birthed you ... "

She turned again, halfway to the door.

"You will commit harakiri," Yukari said amid the brief silence, mostly toward the floor. "To avoid shaming the Taisa, and to protect us." She leveled her gaze at Kôsuka. "That is the way of Samurai, is it not?"

Kotori stood up, so abruptly her chair was pushed back to bump against the wall behind. The nekovalkyrja was rigid, staring at Kôsuka with wide eyes.

One long, painful moment passed by before Kotori's shoulders slumped. She bent forward to have her hands rest on the table to support her.

Those hands curled into fists. "Fine..." she breathed out, her voice soft but terrible at the same time.. "We will dispose of the NH-23."

The thought of Kosuka killing herself filled the Raltean with such vivid disgust that it cracked his icy stare. But even he knew where not to let his opinions tread.

Instead, he looked quickly to his lover who was staring at the floor, and quickly between Kosuka and Kotori.

His body tensed, as if readying for action at any moment. His eyes caught Nyton's.

Nyton... do something.

Masako glanced at both Kosuka and Kotori once more as the Shosa revealed what the Samurai had planned. To be honest, the young Warrant Officer wasn't so surprised. While she may have not worked with Samurai much before, the raven-haired Neko knew that a Samurai couldn't betray their master. And Kosuka seemed to believe the NH-23's life was that betrayal.

"With respect Taisa," Masako spoke up calmly, as she looked up at Kotori. "Couldn't we transfer the other Kotori into another body and dispose of the NH-23 body after the consciousness has left it?" the Warrant Officer asked as she tried to find a solution to the problem. "It is as you have said after all, she is an innocent. We shouldn't cast her into oblivion just because of her mere existence."

Sitting there with her hands folded in her lap, Masako actually seemed like the most stable at the moment. Of course, she didn't feel particularly calm compared to the room's tense atmosphere, but she preferred to hide that uncertainty than add even more tension and confusion to the situation.

Nyton could see that the situation was deteriorating quickly. Putting aside his previous grudges he looked towards both sides and thought things over. Both sides of this matter wanted something and both did not want to concede certain things. Kotori had relented to disposal of the NH-23 only to prevent Kosuka from committing the ritualistic suicide that would preserve her honor as a Samurai. The Samurai could not allow the NH-23 to exist since it would be a breach of her code. The Taisa wanted to keep the NH-23 both as a tactical device and for her own principles. The mother did not want to compromise everyone else's lives while the daughter was willing to sacrifice the NH-23 to preserve the mother. It almost appeared like a mathematical equation now.

Nyton felt the pressure building at every side and even saw the pleading look on Tom's face for him to take some action. He finally settled in and prepared his next parley into the matter carefully. First however, there would have to be a clarification. Donning a serene expression he then looked over to Masako.

"Kurohoshi-Juni, the matter is not simply just the concern of the NH-23 body. That by itself is a huge problem on its own but on top of that it is also an illegal clone of Kotori-sama. According to Imperial Law, to have a copy of oneself while the original is still alive is illegal. So it does not matter if we dispose of the body so long as the extra consciousness is still alive, the law is still being broken." Nyton explained to Masako. Upon conclusion his eyes then traveled over to Kosuka.

"And to a Samurai, the Empire's Law is to be upheld. After all the Samurai is the epitome of duty and devotion. Honor is maintained by this and honor is a Samurai's life. A Samurai cannot live without honor and must work daily to protect it. You live this life and adhere to the strict devotion it requires of you. At the same time you are also a mother and as such you have displayed devotion to both duty and daughter. You also endured much hardship and put your honor on the line for the sake of your child. It is this same devotion to your daughter that compels you to endure hardship yet again. This time the sacrifice will satisfy the Samurai's need to maintain honor. The reason this path is the only one open to the Samurai is because the mother wishes to see the daughter prosper. There is no compromising the Samurai's principles if honor is to be maintained. However, what if instead of sacrificing the life of both Samurai and mother you were only to sacrifice the life of the Samurai? Surely there is a clause that allows someone to depart the ranks of the Samurai for reasons other than failure or shameful dismissal." Nyton said, having lead up to this point before pausing for a second.

"Such a thing is not asked or considered lightly. It would be the same as asking to have my leg or arm cut off. However it is a hardship that would be asked of you to endure the same as when you endured the servitude under Kessaku Irim. You were willing to go through that to save the life of your daughter and now the same dilemma presents itself again. Why not choose the option that allows you to be a mother and still satisfies honor by relinquishing the very swords that imperil our situation? You make a clean cut without dishonoring the noble Samurai, allow that part of your life to die, and continue to live on instead as a mother to your daughter. If there are any contractual legalities necessary such as military service time owed, than you could take a regular enlistment to satisfy them. And at the same time you would prevent from causing your child grief by remaining alive. This would be for the sake of your daughter-or rather, both daughters. It will not be easy but you would not be alone in this." Nyton said, calmly, with a bit of warmth to his voice as he addressed Kosuka.

"No," Kotori answered to Nyton's words, shaking her head no softly. "No, it has gone beyond that."

She closed her eyes, still in her standing, but with hands on her desk. "Evidently, I must find justice for my mother, justice for the Empire, justice for my crew... but most importantly, justice for us - the original and the copy."

"I left the samurai so to not be beholden by the restraint of living for another, and instead living for myself." Kotori declared. "Though an abuse of my exercising my free will, my mother Kôsuka sacrificed of herself. It is perhaps something any mother could be expected to do for her child, and I am grateful for it."

"But in this instance, my survival has too high a price. It is no victory." Amber eyes narrowed. "I will not accept that Kôsuka pay anything, anymore, at her expense because of us. Not her status and not her life. As for her 'motherhood', that is something for us to decide, not her. We are considered legally adult and accountable for ourselves. We also have just as great a capacity to sacrifice ourselves for those we love. I wish I could make that sacrifice for my counterpart - as I consider her as more deserving - but I do not have that luxury. Neither does she, apparently."

More officially, Kotori said: "Miharu's and Hoshi's memory banks as well as any branching system including AIES units will be wiped clean and returned to initial factory settings - though it will reset the AI's personallity as well as its avatars, it will insure there is no lingering presence of the NH-23's mind left on-board. The NH-23 in turn will be ejected into space and Miharu's main cannon will be used to annihilate her. Our findings will be reported to Yui-Taisho, including the illegal acts commited by Karl Sylvester. SAINT will do as it will in this instance in regard to he and his family; he knew the risks. I, for my part, will make an appeal to Yui-Taisho for clemency in regard to this crew to spare it from investigation - I believe Samurai Kôsuka should find this situation acceptable enough to offer testimony in our favor. In addition, seeing the original's body should have died upon soul transfer, my own existence should not be jeopardized by these measures. She will live on, as myself, as the law dictates it should be."

"Miharu's mission, as it is, will continue. Wether or not the NH-23 might have been useful to us, or that a different resolution to us may have come to us in time - we will not now. To do otherwise has been labelled treasonous... and I am sure everyone in this room can agree that they only have the best interests of our nation at heart - even if lives are extinguished out of convenience for the fear that it may endanger the sovereignty of our honorable and glorious Empire."

Kotori turned an angry glare at Kôsuka. "Based on your duty as a Ketsurui Samurai, this is acceptable. Confirm it to me."

Tom's eyes widened and his entire body underwent a single spasm of shock.

The conversation wasn't directed at him, however, so his face just ran a gamut of tortured emotions as he stared at the table and waited for the samurai's fateful response.

"W-What." he whispered to himself.

The muscles in Nyton's face grew tense. After taking a breath he then looked over at Kotori. "Very well your highness, if that is your word then I shall abide by it. However I believe this is too harsh and short term a solution for something that could be resolved better in the long term. Destroying your NH-23 would cost us a great tactical advantage in this mission along with the invaluable data and experience that Miharu has obtained. You would likely sentence not only your clone to death but also Karl Sylvester and his family. Granted that is his own fault but we would then never learn the circumstances upon which he committed the crime," he said, pausing before continuing.

The next part came out slightly strained. "I mean no offense to the Mistress Taisho but I have my doubts in appealing to her in this matter. She is strong and wise but she is tempered only by warfare. Her concept of 'mercy' is not something I would rely upon. That need only be confirmed by what her history has shown and it shows that she has little understanding of the word." he said with more than a little roughness to his voice. Much like her father. he thought, not saying it openly.

"This whole situation is a great injustice to all those involved. Even if we are permitted to continue our mission, we will be hamstrung and thus possibly be unable to truly defeat Eve. Thus the Empire would also suffer injustice. While the law might be upheld there will be no justice for anyone." Nyton said before standing up to face Kotori directly across her desk.

"Your highness, there is only one way to find that justice. You must become the next Empress. By doing so you could reinstate Kosuka to her position of Samurai or pardon Sylvester of his crime if he deems worthy and even find a true place of meaning for your clone. This may take a long time to achieve but it can be done and the key to this possibility lies in defeating Eve first." he said with conviction.

"All I ask is that Kosuka-san be patient and wait for us to succeed. If a she so requires it then she may take my right arm as proof of my conviction to see this through." Nyton concluded.

Kôsuka looked slowly at everyone, her eyes resting on each of them one at a time, as if to ensure their words were genuine. But she lingered on Nyton the most.

"He gets it." She smiled a little. "Sometimes, daughter, you lose. Sometimes justice is a finite resource. If it wasn't, you would not have to send your crew to die inside a power armor about to explode on an enemy warship. I do not want the NH-23 — my daughter — dead. Your chances for success would be just about nil, if you do that. And I want Eve to be a corpse so badly I can taste it."

She put her arms back in her robes. "Kotori, at this moment, the only justice worth anything in this galaxy is Eve's demise. Make that happen. Some day, you will accept what I have done."

The look in Kotori's eyes, however, made for one last remark. "I will see you again when you are Empress."

With that, Kôsuka left to collect the few things she had with her on the ship.

Kotori's resentful glare melted in a stricken expression as Kôsuka made her exit. At the distinctive 'klump' of the door coming to a close, she turned around and stepped next to the viewport behind her desk that gave a view over Miharu's starboard engine compartment and the planet Yamatai.

"There are more matters that need be covered in this debrief," Kotori told them. The Taisa's faint reflection was indistinct in the window pane because of Yamatai's brightness, though her hands seemed to have a fierce grip on the lower edge of the window. "I call for a recess. Return in five minutes so that we may be refreshed enough to handle the other matters at hand."

Once Kôsuka reached her quarters, the ship spoke up.

"So, you are going to leave the ship, and retire from service as a Ketsurui Samurai?"

Kôsuka did not immediately reply, as she went for her duffel bag first. She looked inside it and realized she had only some underwear and hairbands. Everything else she needed, she had on her person.

"Something like that," she said simply, taking up her duffel over her shoulder.

Yukari did not rise from her seat immediately, preferring to wait for the others. She was not sure she would actually speak to Kotori, but if she was going to, she was going to wait for the others to leave.

Miharu didn't seem daunted by Kôsuka's evasiveness.

"So... why did the first suggestion not work out for you?" A note of confusion crept in the computer's synthesized voice. "She initially asked to stall for time until she could resolve the problem before reporting it to the Mistress Taisho. That still seems to be what will end up being done."

"I could not connect to the matter of treason. All I did was obey instructions from an officer in the Star Army that told me my 'cargo' would end up being of crucial importance to the crew. It's influence never went beyond my local network, so it never did any harm. My crew in turn noted that it was controversial, but seemed to show a remarkable willingness to treat it with care, and no intention to use it against the Empire."

"You have an oath to protect Taisho-Yui... but are you still not a retainer of the Ketsurui clan? That would make Kotori Ketsurui a stronger representative of Yui herself - therefore, a request to trust her and assisting her in making sure the sword was not double-edged seemed in order and quite reasonable."

"Given all that, I do not understand why it was insisted upon so vehemently? Why was this issue such a big deal, when it could've been much more simply resolved? The only resolution in this problem apparent to me is that you've willingly chosen not to be able to make a difference to help the Taisa succeed."

Nyton looked at Kosuka then back to Kotori. After the Samurai left he let out a breath he had not realized was being held. With the request for a recess the man nodded.

"As you wish, your highness." he said before he began to walk to the doorway. Instinctively he placed his hand near the joint where his right arm connected to the torso as though he were anticipating he was about to lose it.

The Raltean began processing what had just happened, the gears turning slowly in his head due to his shock.

He rose on wobbly legs and silently made his way to the door upon the Taisa's order for a recess. Five minutes.

He walked for two minutes, not making much distance, his journey within his mind.

He brought a shaking hand up to the reflective metal of Miharu's walls. His dull reflection shone like some expressionist painting.

Tom stopped, his hand balling into a fist, his breath deep.

He punched the wall, again and again, angry tears springing to the corners of his eyes.

"Hey, hey! Heeyy! What did I ever do to you?!" Miharu vehemently complained at Tom pummeling one of her walls.

He punched the wall until his hand was numb with pain. Tom did not know if it was bleeding or not, nor did he care.

"Nothing," Tom said, resting his head on the slightly heated surface of where his flurry of punches had fallen. "So tell me why it had to almost come to what it did."

"That's a good question," Miharu admitted. "Especially considering how the resolution is ultimately very similar to what the Taisa wanted done, except that Kôsuka won't be be around to assist as she initially desired."

"Want me to speculate?"

Kôsuka didn't seem affected by Miharu's persistence.

"No one is a representative of Yui-sama. There is only Yui-sama, and there are only her wishes."

She waited for the door to open, then she started to walk toward the main corridor, down to the airlocks. "As for the rest ... Some things, a child must do on her own, and some things a child must simply take as fact when their parent utters as much."

She ignored Tom as she rounded the corner and passed him. "Kotori would rather kill her best asset than lose me. That reveals she hasn't embraced all that she preaches, and that her crew has not yet penetrated her defenses. She has much to learn. But she will still be empress someday."

Tom felt the samurai pass him. He didn't turn to acknowledge her. Besides, he didn't want her to see his angry scowl.

"I don't know, Miharu." His voice, however, could not hide his resentment. "Tell me."

Miharu waited until Kôsuka was sufficiently away before replying.

"The argument was actually based upon Kotori's determination that she needed Kôsuka to provide her crew an immutable assurance that she would not turn against the crew again. Kotori already believed in her mother, but she needed her to provide something tangible for it." The AI replied. "That something, that absolute, was not something Kôsuka could provide because she felt it could possibly infringe on professional promises she had already made. To make that promise might have had been to compromise her degree of honesty."

"I don't think it was a refusal to go along with the proverb 'discretion is the better part of valor'. I think it had much more to do with retaining integrity and credibility. If she shirked her promises to Yui to promise to you... how good was her word really worth?"

"I don't think the Taisa understood that. The Taisa was much more determined that her mother not be alienated in the eyes of her crew. I think she decided her mother did not understand and that it snowballed from there."

"Further in the conversation," Miharu continued. "Perception of the argument at hand might have become distorted. Actually, it was around the timing of when you rebuked them both. It might have actually fueled a fire that was abating - encouraging the fear that the samurai could go rogue when it was extremely unlikely fanned the flames. Then the Shosa's addition of harakiri literally poured oil on it... and it ended up having the Taisa caught 'by the balls'."

"Kotori panicked. Wouldn't you? Her last ditch attempt was to show her mother how awful, how evil, she felt acknowledging the proper way to do things would've been... without yet commiting to it. Luckily, Nyton and Kôsuka seemed able to bring closure to this... though with the added disadvantage of a rift between daughter and mother, and Samurai Kôsuka unable to directly assist us anymore."

"Honestly, I think she was trying to show you how evil she perceived your favored course of action was, right under your nose, before she commited to it," the computer sent to Kôsuka.

Following on points Miharu had shared with Tom, the AI added: "This whole argument mostly snowballed from the Taisa wanting immutable assurance that you would not turn against the crew again, so to show them they could feel safe - rather than uneasy - around you, was it not? I believe you could not promise because if you would, your interpretation of your previous vows would lose integrity and credibility. If such was the case, then giving that sort of promise in itself was self-defeating because your word would have less value."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back