• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

RP: YSS Miharu Mission 4: The Fame and the Fury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ichigo returned a slight nod and briefly explained: "Well, to make a long story short, Claymere-Taii rebuked Hinoto about one of her hobbies and she's taking it very badly. I'm just trying to give her a shoulder to cry on."

A mixture of confusion and concern marked Tom's face.

"Hinoto?" He asked carefully, asking over Ichigo, trying to put on his most comforting voice. "Everything's going to be ok, all right? I'm on my way."

He summoned the location of the two sprites and began floating towards it.

"Ichigo," he asked as he was travelling. "Could you do me a favor and get a piece of cake for Hinoto? There should have been a delivery recently put in my charge."

"Right," Ichigo nodded in agreement. The volumetric window closed just as Tom reached Hinoto's room on Hoshi, with Ichigo opening the door for Tom, giving the Raltean another 'you can count on me' nod before quickly walking away.

Leaving Tom in view of Hinoto, past the doorway, sitting on her bed sobbing. He took note of the uniform still smeared with blood spilled during the sparring session she'd had with Nimura, the waning shade of bruises healing, her disheveled snow-colored hair, her drooping ears, her diminutive frame quivering.

At the sight of him Hinoto moaned and tried to dry her ears, but the choking-hiccuping stage of her crying only seemed to get stronger. "This is... so... vexing!" The sprite ranted between sobs.

Noting the absolutely wrecked appearance of his subordinate and friend, Tom walked up to her carefully and took a seat at her side. On his way, he slid off his gloves and stuck them in his belt. He let her sob a few more moments before he gingerly put his hand on the top of her head and rubbed near her ears.

"It's ok. Tell me about it."

Hinoto didn't shy back - in fact, she leaned in on Tom, resting her head on his shoulder.

Haltingly, she explained to him how Mara told Nyton that Hinoto enjoyed the hobby of reading Yaoi manga - graphic novels depicting romances between men. She then elaborated by saying Mara revealed to Nyton that Hinoto also doodled male members of the crew being paired together in similar relationships.

"It's true," Hinoto managed out, speaking to his chest, as tears continued trickling down her cheeks. "But I'm just... learning how to draw. I used people I-people I knew for reference. Mara only knows... because she has access to the int-internal sensors. I kept them to myself! I never planned to show them to anyone..."

Tom listened quietly during Hinoto's explanation. He had heard about the art form in passing during his life before the military. It wasn't his thing, but he didn't remember having any problems with it back then.

"What you do is art, in my opinion," he said calmly as he rubbed Hinoto's arm with his hand. "But art can be dangerous and intimidating. It's purpose is to trigger emotion, after all, and some of those feelings can be unwelcome."

"I think that you learned that lesson today, although very bluntly, and I would like to apologize on the Taii's behalf."

"The Taii is going to come later," Hinoto bitterly snuffled and wiped the back of her hands on her tearstained cheeks. "He said he'd tear through my things and confiscate the material."

"It's not fair," she whined. "The Ketsurui can put around their resorts statues of their clan members, naked, in erotic postures with water fountaining out of their naughty parts for all to see - but I can't draw what I want in what should be the privacy of my own room?!"

Tom could see that as Hinoto's tears petered out, her vexation was getting warped into something more akin to self-righteous anger.

"It isn't fair," Tom replied wistfully. "Many things in the military aren't. But we live with the consequences."

He let out a sigh and closed his eyes. When he opened the gray orbs a few moments later, they shone.

"But, in your case, I think I would like to discuss the matter personally with the Taii. If you would permit it, of course."

A faint smile spread on his lips.

"Of course, I'd need a copy of your work to present as evidence, of course."

Hinoto's reddened eyes glanced up to Tom's.

"If I start handing my doodles to other people, then it makes him right." Hinoto shook her head no. "Mara exagerated about me, infringed on my privacy and he fell for it. What he owes me is not a forced inspection, but an apology. I did nothing to deserve this!" She finished adamantly.

Tom groaned inwardly. Not exactly the turn of events he had planned.

"Consider your rank, or lack of it," Tom said rather flatly, but taking care to avoid sounding aggressive. "The Taii was acting in what he felt to be the best interest of the crew. However wrong it may appear to be, your only hope is to appeal to a superior officer who would present your argument on your behalf. If you think or act harshly, I can guarantee that you will not like the results."

A small pause.

"And don't try to do what Mara did to me and pull rank over the Taii. It will end in disaster if the Taisa or Shosa find out."

Hinoto listened to Tom and straightened her head.

"Well..." She frowned. "Hoshi can go on strike until he apologizes. If we do nothing, then he can't blame us about anything."

Being bitter and cynical really didn't suit Hinoto. Nor did her suggestion make much sense, but she still seemed extremely recitent to being victimized in that particular situation. The streak of rebelliousness, from her, was very unusual.

"That is an unacceptable proposition," the engineer said as he looked down at the rebellious sprite. "I feel your pain and want to help you, but do not be selfish."

He moved his body away from the sprites and crossed his arms.

"As we talk, your sisters are working hard at various tasks. Your chief engineer has taken attention away from his time-sensitive duties to help a friend in need. Ichigo, who I need down in the subdecks right now as well, is getting you cake. What you are going through is very painful to you, and we understand that, but they do not take precedence over the needs of your crew and this ship."

Hinoto's lower lip trembled... and the next moment she started tearing up again. This time, though, instead of seeking refuge on Tom's shoulder she instead went cry her heart out facefirst in her pillow.

The door opened, and Ichigo cautiously peeked in. Nimura's twin gave Tom a suspicious 'did you make her cry too?' look before she came in, holding a saucer dish with a slice of cake in it.

Tom sighed.

"Put the cake down over here."

He looked down to Hinoto and his expression softened.

"Hinoto, I'm sorry about what I said. You're my friend and I shouldn't have said that."

He returned to the side of the crying sprite.

"Let me help you."

Ichigo left the cake aside where Tom indicated and discreetly retreated. The door closed behind her with a quiet 'klump'.

Hinoto shuddered. "Help how?" she asked huskily, her voice muffled thanks to still having her face in the pillow. Her nailless fingers gripped the sides of the pillow tightly, sinking into it.

"I will talk to Nyton for you. He and I have a fairly frank understanding of each other. If I cannot convince him of your position, I will talk to the Shosa directly... and if needed... I will ask a favor of her. I promise."

He patted Hinoto on the back.

"But right now, I need you to be strong. I need you to show me the same type of strength that you showed us on Bowhordia, because you know that the other sprites can't see you like you are now. These rifts must be mended lest they tear further."

"Yes, really. I promise."

He reached over and held up a piece of the cake with a bit of a goofy grin on his face.

"Will you please enjoy your cake now? The smell is making me hungry."

Hinoto slowly sat up, clumsily wiping her tears as she tried to regain her composure.

"I can't yet." She said, her voice still hoarse. "My damaged teeth are loose. It will take me a bit longer to have them fall off as new teeth grow back."

Tom blinked a few times, his blank expression rather comically contrasting the pleasant, inviting smile he had moments ago when he held the cake up to her.

"Oh. Well damn."

The cake went back to where it was and Tom sat there, silently awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…