• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: NSS Acadia [Mission 6] The Cow Level

Matteo let out a long whistle at that; Fhion's fate was far from pretty, and in his opinion, not exactly the most efficient way of getting intel either. If they were going to say something, they were going to say it after a certain level of torture, hands down. And if they really weren't going to say, might as well stop with the pain and keep them comfy so that Stockholm Syndrome set in like his old Syndicate used to. Much more efficient.

He filed out with the others and pulled out his Data Jockey; last mission, he felt a little undergunned. For his old jobs, what he had would have been overkill, but, this was The Marines. Overkill wasn't enough. Like half of the people around, he wasn't in the mood for food, so he went to requisition his equipment instead. The Ex-Hitman shuffled through the lists of weapons he could likely get this time around while listening to his squad's antics.

It was surprising to him, Harm hiding her ears that is. He had always taken Nekovalkyrja to be the overly arrogant, superior acting and...yes, all much like the late Fhion. 'I guess even she isn't arrogant to walk around and flaunt herself after the hate wave that blistered over everything.' he thought. "I'll take a Hostile Armed with a HPAR, and a full complement of ARROW or BOLT missiles for each calf, if you can spare it." He asked the quartermaster-bot politely.

At Harm's comment to Avel however, he couldn't help but snicker out loud. Things must have sucked badly indeed if all that really happened.

@C-Man

“Harm,” She responded, “One word, like Rocketass… though I guess he does have a first name too which kinda makes that a bad example. I guess the important thing to take away here is not only did you royally fuck up, but you got killed in the process. I can’t really tell you not to do it again if you don’t have those memories, but fuckups of that magnitude are frowned upon.

So don’t do that.”

She would enter in her own equipment selection on one of the Junker Drone’s datapads. A hostile, two EMP pistols, a case of plasma grenades, a pair of stun grenades, a cable cam, and a pair of NovaCorp Xaser rifles.

“I’m an expert on everything the old man isn’t… small group tactics, personal weapons, hand to hand, that kind of thing.” She conveniently left out that she was also there to lead the ground team while an officer was being searched for. “And speaking of the old man…”

@Brett

Wazu also have moved down to the power armor bay after the briefing, having remotely sent his equipment request to the quartermaster. Cablecams, EMP pistols, plasma grenades, extra datapads, and a hostile. His gear was being carried to his power armor node by spare Junkers but his first top was near Darux,

“If you do not like fire then perhaps you should be considering another career.

I have not had a chance to fully read your personnel file yet, I am hoping the aversion to flame is not rooted in something that has already happened to you. Also, I am sorry for dismissing everyone so quickly. I should have given you a chance to ask any follow up questions you may have had.” As he spoke his hand was entering commands on the datapad at his side, which was brought up infront of him to read the moment he finished with his words for Darux.

The quartermaster bot would then chime in.

“Your gear will be ready in 12 minutes in Node 6. Updated controls and schematics will be made available to you on the ship’s sever. I recommend reviewing both prior to power armor operation.”

@Matteo

The quartermaster bot would then turn to Matteo,

“Your power armor with the requested loadout is ready in your power armor node now. The missile swap out should only take a few moments.”

As Darux waited for the quartermaster to prepare what he requested, he heard Wazu speak to him. The first statement Wazu made to him caught him completely off guard, leaving him with his mouth open and a confused look on his face. He snapped his mouth shut as he continued to speak. "You gave us the Intel and answered the questions we asked with as much information you knew." Darux stated after Wazu was done speaking then shrugged, "In any case we can't have everything we want, and in this case, I'm in power armor." After the quartermaster chimed in, Darux sighed, "Guess I better read up. If you excuse me." he stated before bowing his head, closing his left eye while keeping his red eye on Wazu, taking two steps back, and then sharply turning toward the bunker. "Dam habits," Darux growled to himself when he thought he was out of earshot, "And dam my forgetfulness!" he continued a bit louder referring to his DataJockey that he left in his locker.

Upon hearing Harms theory on what might have happened, Avel lost some of the color on her face. People who were rezzed often didn't remember what killed them. So the possibility of her dying was very real and explained quite a few things.

"That just makes finding out what happened all the more urgent before history repeats itself." Was all she had to say in response.

Avel decided to change the subject. "Hey, maybe when this mission is over we can have a friendly sparring match. I've never fought a Nekowalkyrie, let alone a freelance spy one before and it would be a welcome change from the mindless muscle heads I normally beat up."

"At least that's what I think you are." Avel held up her hands apologetically. "If I'm wrong then I apologize."

As he listened in on the Neko and P4C, Matteo couldn't help but notice what was on their order. He got considerably closer and insolently poked his head up to look over the NH's shoulder, getting a better view of the gear she requisitioned before popping back down. "Hold on, can I get one of those camera probes too?" He asked, pointing to the cable camera. "I didn't think we could get those issued to us at all." For the moment, the two women were just scenery, even furnature to him.

And the next, they weren't.

Avel's comment about her past had got his full attention. An eyebrow cocked up as his head tilted ever so slightly to the side, looking at the other Marine in a funny manner. "Are you right in the head? Whatever happened had to be something like, blowing up the ship's engines or something. Aren't you better off not knowing?"

Now it was Avel's turn to look at Matteo funny. "If you suddenly woke up in next year and got a letter saying that you've been demoted with no reason given or what happened. Would you shrug it off and continue on as if nothing ever happened or would you start asking questions?"

"Besides, I know how to handle explosives. So I doubt I blew myself up."

"Anselm!" said Phaedra. She had barely managed to catch him in the hangar after pushing her way through the hordes of her fellow Marines. Slightly winded, she quickly approached him.

"Um..." started Phaedra, her hands fidgeting nervously.

"I have never been really good with goodbyes..." she said.

"I was not able to say goodbye to Amelia, or Wi-er Harrison."
Her eyes dropped to the ground for a moment, but then Phaedra extended her right hand and brought her eyes back to level.

"It has been a pleasure serving in the same unit with you Anselm," said Phaedra, the nervousness gone from her voice.

After seeing Anselm off, Phaedra made her way down to the armory to request a different weapon for her NIGHT. When she approached the quartermaster two distinct emotions flashed through her mind; distain, and then utter disbelief. Phaedra saw Harm and was immediately wary of her presence, although she did not let this emotion show. Noticing the individual Harm was talking to, however, caused her eyes to go wide and her mouth to drop open. There, standing as plain as day in front of her, was Avel.

Phaedra obviously knew of ressurrecting an individual through the use of Cerebral Chips, but after hearing of her mutiny and then experiencing her ultimately violent death as a result, Phaedra was taken aback. Gory images of the aftermath bombarded her mind and Phaedra fell back a step. After her initial shock passed, Phaedra regained her composure and stepped up to the quartermaster bot. She requested a LBR for this particular mission. While she waited for the request, Phaedra tried to ignore the fact that Avel and Harm were nearby.

"I need some PT to clear my mind..." thought Phaedra.

The ex-syndicate hitman crossed his arms this time. "Well, yeah." He simply stated to Avel. "I mean, if exactly that happened to me, I'd know that it was worse case scenario. Hell. I'd even guess they didn't want me to know what happened to myself." Matteo remarked. He did relent though, and scratched the back of his neck. "Well, I guess it's only natural to want to find out though. But still, keep in mind that curiosity killed the ca-"

He stopped himself right there and looked at Harm, sending the NH a questioning look that asked if it was all right.

Anselm turned at the mention of his name, being addressed directly was something he wasn't used to, and by a female no less. The marine blinked and only after Phaedra said her peace, "I'm happy to be able to say the same, Miss Volkov," he responded, taking her hand in his own and hoping she didn't notice the flush of heat coming from his body as they shook hands, "I hope we meet again someday."

@ Brett

Wazu watched the soldier slink off. This seemed really weird to him, but there was work to do. He started reading the personnel file off his own datapad as he headed to his power armor node.

---

@ C-Man & CadetNewb

“We can manufacture virtually anything in the military inventory!” The Quartermaster Drone told Matteo proudly, “A camera will be sent to your power armor node immediately and if I can’t build it I will do my best to acquire the item. Shall I forward relevant product catalogues to your datapad?”

Harm would then cut in,

“I think we should keep you away from anything explosive…At least once you’re in a power armor Drei will keep you from doing anything too stupid.” Harm said to Avel before looking over at Matteo, “And seriously? I’m not that thin skinned. Why would that even give you pause? Show a little bit more spine.”

---

@cyborgakadjmoose

“Yes Ma’am. Would you like any additional gear or will that be all?” The quarter master drone asked Phaedra, “I can forward relevant product catalogues to your data pad if you are unsure what we can manufacture here.”

Satisfied that his request would be fufilled, Cedric left the bay, and headed for the mess-hall. Even if he felt depressed at what he felt had been a preventable mistake, he was still hungry, and so he was going to quickly remedy that. Grabbing a large quantity of bacon, pancakes, and other breakfast foods: Cedric grabbed some simple OJ, and say down to eat his breakfast. He chose a corner near the back: he didn't really feel like talking to his fellow Marines right now.

Once Avel had finished talking to Harm and Matteo, she headed over to the power armor node the Quartermaster Drone had pointed her to. Her Hostile and HPAR were already present. The flamethrower on the other hand was still being built.

Deciding to make the best possible use of her time, Avel picked up the heavy rifle with an outreaching arm and inspected it to see if it was in working order. She checked the safety, brought it into firing position and then loaded a fresh clip into it before placing the rifle back in it's original place.

Then a thought crossed her mind and she rushed back over to the Quartermaster Drone, brushing past Phaedra in the process.

"I have a question. Can you manufacture weapons to user specifications or make modifications to existing ones?"

@ Cedric

A few of the other marines were also in the mess hall eating. The Chief drone was slinking about, replacing napkins and refilling glasses.

@ C-Man

“We can manufacture items to specifications and allow the marines to use whatever manufacturing equipment they need. I suggest that if you are going to make a specialized equipment request that you go over the item with Drei prior to manufacturing. The power armor nodes are already stocked with some work gear. Anything else you need I can make available.

---

“So is there anything I should be worried about this time?” Harm asked as she went to her power armor node.

“Probably,” Wazu responded

“You inspire all kinds of confidence.” Both Harmm and Wazu went about preparing their power armors, gluing plasma grenades to the armor’s chest. Wazu attached a datapad to his armor’s left arm and the cable cam to his right. Harm was gluing her spare weapons to the back of her armor.

“You have access to the same data I do, you’re supposed to be doing the analysis so I can…”

“Not really interested, Old Man” Harm cut in, snickering, “We’ll get through this and I’m sure I’ll be saving your ass again. Just stay behind me this time, then when everything goes tits up we won’t have to rez you afterwards…. You still remember how to use a gun right?”

---
@cyborgakadjmoose

Deck 6 contained the NSS Asp’s physical training area. The entire area was open and padded with a soft rubber material. Without walls, except for the cylindrical shell that acted as the barrier between space and the room, one could see all the way across the ship. A circular running track was around the edges of the room and various work out equipment was in the center, mainly consisting of resistance based machines with only a single set of free weights.

Towards the back were rows of man sized transparent locks, a set of power armor simulation units, and a small desk with various gym style accessories like headbands and power bars. Sitting behind this desk was another junker drone, the spherical bot had a red sweat band glued around the top of its spherical body and white sweat bands wrapped around the ends of its tendrils. The robot was waiting patiently for one of the crew to come by so it could do its job.

Yes Ma’am. Would you like any additional gear or will that be all?” said the quartermaster drone.

"Three incendiary grenades. That is all," said Phaedra, turning on her heel to leave the armory.

"Drej, where is the gym located?"

"Deck 6 Miss Volkov," the female robotic voice replied. A volumetric arrow appeared in front of Phaedra, pointing in the direction she would need to go to reach her destination. She stopped by the new room she had been assigned, and quickly changed into a pair of shorts and tanktop; her garments and other belongings had been transfered over from the NSS Acadia during their last deployment.

Quickly grabbing a towel, she exited her room and made her way to Deck 6, where eventually she located the gym. Upon entering, Phaedra noticed another drone near the back of the large room. Seeing that the room was largely vacant, she approached the drone and requested a bottle of water. While she waited, Phaedra gathered up her mane of white hair and used a simple tie to arrange it into a ponytail.

The two gave him a little to think about as he checked over his Hostile. Everything was good to go; ammunition was up, weapons were well maintained, and the reactor was fueled up. What was he going to do now? As he fiddled with the camera probe, getting to know just how it worked, Matteo thought about his exchange of words with the other marine and the neko.

Avel really did want to know what happened to her. Matteo thought it was a stupid thing to find out, after all, it used to be his old job to get rid of people who knew too much or found something. As for the Neko? His mind ground away for a bit, musing over some...discrepancies. Matteo smiled as some things clicked together. He may be wrong of course, but he could be right as well.

If he didn't know better, Harm was perhaps a bit harmed by the heat coming from all the Marines. The feeling of resentment literally wafted off of them and went straight at her.

He liked the idea; it was good to know the NH series had a heart to jab at.

Darux took his time in getting to the barracks, and once there, began digging through his hastily packed clothes in his locker, finally pulling out his DataJockey in his workout pants. With a sigh he wondered briefly where to go until his stomach made his decision. Without a second thought he went to the mess hall.

@ cyborgakadjmoose

The Quartermmaster would ensure that the NAM plasma grenades would be sent to Phaedra’s power armor node.

“Here you are!” The drone shouted enthusiastically as pulled a cold water bottle out from under its desk. “Can I help you with anything else? Shall I prepare a Yoga class, A physical training session, or adjust any of the resistance machines especially for you?”

The drone’s central red eye kept focused on Phaedra even as its body moved around, enthused about finally having something to do on this deck of the ship.

---

@ Brett

The buffet was getting picked of quickly by other marines who mainly were raiding the meat items. Though small amounts of bacon and sausage were left there was still plenty of toast, eggs, and juices available. Running around the mess hall seeing to the marine’s needs was a single chief bot, a Junker drone with a chief’s hat attached to the top of its spherical body and three bandaids over where repair wields were made due to injuries from a slightly drunk marine.

As it noticed the new marine arriving, it would scurry over to him, raising its spherical body up to about shoulder height,

“Welcome! Food is laid out on the buffet table. If there is anything else you would like to eat just let me know.”

---

“Yes I still know how to use a gun.” Wazu responded. “But I do real work, you are the one that is supposed to do the killing and after the last operation you look rusty.”

“Even on a bad day I’m still better than anyone you’ve ever known.” Harm responded. “Show a little thanks that I’m even still working with you Old Man.”

“You know I am only in my 40s.”

“Yeah, that makes you older than my entire species. Old Man totally fits.”

Wazu sighed.

“Now, lets get food.”

“I already ate.”

“Eat again.” Harm said sternly, “You should know you’re not supposed to eat only when you are hungry in this line of work.”

The pair would, reluctantly, head towards the Mess hall as well.

"Everything I requested up to this point is fine. If I need anything else I'll let you know." Avel replied. Everybody else had ordered a vast array of grenades, camera probes and everything else imaginable.

Normally Avel would be going all out and preparing for the worst possible scenario. But other than a power armor, HPAR and a flamethrower, everything else just seemed excessive. This wasn't exactly a well supplied invasion force they were up against.

Well that and she had her own weapon design to test out. Speaking of which.

"Drei, are you there?" Avel asked into seemingly thin air.

"Yes, did you need something?" A female voice, Drei, replied.

"I'm looking to make some weapon modifications. Could you bring up the schematics for the NAM HPAR-01a Heavy Penetrating Assault Rifle."

A green holographic image of the HPAR materialized in front of her. Various windows giving information on each part of the gun appeared along with all the basic information.

"Alright, lets start with targeting. How about instead of using my armors targeting computer we use a scope with a camera mounted in it. Visual feed could be displayed on my HUD. Can that be done?"

The HPAR image changed slightly to include a scope attached to the top of the weapon along with the usual information.

"So far so good. What about offensive power? What can I do that nobody else has tried." Avel thought about all the weapons she had seen and the way they worked. There was one design that she knew might work. "Why not just put two together? Like the Nk-lr sub-machine gun?"

Avel got a quick response that the drum magazines put too much space in between the guns along with other reasons it wouldn't work.

"Ok, I get it." Avel raised her hands slightly to emphasize her expression. "What if we reduce the drums ammunition capacity and size by half? Can we make the battery changeable too? Just in case it dies in the middle if a fire fight?"

After a few moments of processing an updated version of the schematic appeared. Avel smiled with excitement.

"Can it be built?"

Here you are!” the drone said happily.

Phaedra accepted the water bottle from the drone with gracious nod.

Can I help you with anything else? Shall I prepare a Yoga class, A physical training session, or adjust any of the resistance machines especially for you?

"Not today thank you," said Phaedra. She turned and headed to one of the open areas away from the machines and set the towel and water down on one of the workout benches. She leaned her head to the left and to the right, her neck making a sickening popping noise before she began a stretching routine. Phaedra began first with her arms and shoulders, then her torso, and then her hips and legs.

To anyone that would have seen Phaedra in her tanktop and shorts, it would be obvious that her left arm and leg were completely cybernetic. Darker scar tissue would be visible at the places where the artificial limbs joined her flesh.

After completing her stretches, Phaedra climbed to her feet and began to jog laps around the track.

Rachel was still getting used to the flow of things and thought of nothing better to do than follow the rest down to the power armor bay. She thought about striking up a conversation with one of her fellow soldiers, but found herself just waiting a bit too long on that - they had already arrived at the armory.

When it was her turn, she made her way to the quartermaster drone.
"Is there... um... is there a standard issue PA loadout?"
The drone refused to answer and went about its business, entirely ignoring her inquiry.
"Fine then," Rachel added with a hint of stress in her voice, "I'd like to requisition a Hostile-class power armor, HPAR-01 loadout, plus... um, incendiary grenades."

She hoped that this was an order the thing could fulfill.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back