• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

RP: YSS Eucharis [Mission 7.2 Side Story] Desperados

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [Mission 7 Side-Story] Desperados

Mikael's mind begun to swim with thoughts about his new assignment and the information that was displayed on the television earlier. "There is a war brewing, worlds just don't fall out of contact like that." he thought to himself as he took a sip of his remaining vodka "Especially two worlds...Yamataians take better care of their technology for random outrages to happen."

Snapping out of his train of thought again and knowing clearly when he is not wanted he looked at the neko and then looked at the male Yamataian beside her for a split second before foucsing back on the bartender. "If I serve on the same ship with him, I sure hope we don't bunk together" he thought to himself. After a few seconds of sipping vodka, he looked at the Neko's food. "Bar......what is your name anyways? Feel like I am rude just calling you bartender." Mikael said to the bartender.

"Vincent Stonefist," the bartender said flatly, raising his gloved, clenched right hand up to chin level. "Connoisseur of booze, guns, and antiques."

The news didn't seem to be very informative right now, mostly showing looped footage of starships launching while military advisors commented about the Mishhuvurthyar and enemies of Yamatai.

Darnell looked at the commentary. He looked at the recycled footage. He would probably find something better online if he looked, though the authenticity was always questionable. And on Yamatai the chances of finding a Freespacer to look it over were low.

He also noticed it was footage of ships launching, giving the idea that they were reacting. It didn't show actual war, with the losses that entailed. Real war was depressing, propaganda wasn't.

Darnell responded, "It really fits with my luck, though. I join, a war starts." He looked at the bartender as he introduce himself, "Booze and guns I can see, but the antiques seem a bit out of place. Nostalgic for the past?" Darnell couldn't think back to all the guns he'd used, the good and the bad, and wondered if he could still use them in his new body. He doubted, with many of them, he'd get the chance. But who knew?

Mikael blinked once when Vincent introduced himself. He was about to say something when the Yamataian from before chimed in.

Mikael looked over towards him and raised his right brow in slight displeasure. " Never hurts to be Nostalgic. Heck, I still have a pistol magazine my grandfather said saved his life in some war." Mikael said. He then looked back to Vincent. "Are you a connoisseur of food too? What do you recommend to eat around here?"

"We have great bacon quesadillas, chicken tacos, and chile poblanos," Vincent recommended. He pulled a basket of fresh tortilla chips and set them in front of Mikael, followed by a bowl of chunky southwestern-style salsa.

"I'm just a history enthusiast," the bartender told Darnell with a shrug.

Darnell looked back at the disapproving look by the man with a dull stare. "Well, I hope it isn't loaded. If it is, I'm surprised it hasn't gone off, since gunpowder degrades with time and can get... volatile." He didn't comment on the 'in some war' bit, which, to Darnell, made it seem like he was making it up on the spot.

Darnell turned back to the bartender, "Really? Have you got anything interestingly lately?" Darnell had an image of an old gun that shot booze like a watergun, but he didn't seriously think they existed. Actually, as he thought about it, that sounded like something Nepleslians would use.

Mikael just ignored the response he received from the Yamataian. He was not going to bother giving the Yamataian the dignity of an answer after he commented on the magazine. "Screw him, blasted science boys..." Mikael thought to himself as he begun to sink one of the tortilla chips into the Salsa. "I haven't had decent food since I left Neplesia to join the Star Army. I think I'll take the chicken Tacos. Got soft shells?" Mikael said to Vincent.

Vincent grinned. "Man, that's the ONLY way to eat a real chicken taco! We got it special marinated, char grilled, wrapped in a FAT soft warm fresh soft shell and topped with fresh lettuce and tomatoes from Yamatai's fertile soil, an ancient Nepleslian recipe Monterey Jack cheese, and fine sour cream from the breasts of Nekos...or cows, subject to availability."

To Darnell, Vincent replied, "I recently found an internal combustion-powered motorbike that's at least 150 years old."

Darnell watched Mikael ignore him coldly, making sure to make no sign of displeasure, as if he had insulted him somehow. Well, it appeared this guy really was the stereotypical recruit with a bad attitude.

Darnell watched Vincent go off about tacos with a smile. Everyone had something they got excited over, and tacos weren't such a bad thing to have an obsession over.

He mentioned something about a bike to Darnell, who had no idea what it was he was talking about. He guessed it was just some old kind of bike that ran on a different engine. "Really? Where's it from? Don't suppose it still works?"

Sighing deeply, the redheaded Neko finished her beer and ordered another. She needed to get her head off of worrying about Misaki and the rest of the Eucharis' crewmembers. They'd get out allright. They had to.

She just had to shake her head at Vincent's exuberance towards tacos. It was good to have a passion, but tacos? Well, I guess we need one of those too... otherwise we'd all just eat the plain and original one. Kim mused, trying to compare Vincent's passion for his cooking with her own demolitions skills.

Tapping her fingers against the bar revealed her true nerves, no matter how hard she was trying to force herself to relax.

Vincent grinned. "It was excavated from a bunker complex beneath the rocky copper-blue soil of Damasica...nowadays known as Neo Kohana. The Kohananian furries live there and they hate outsiders so it was not easy to send in archeological teams. Supposedly some of my fellow Reds have taken upon themselves to shoot some Kohanians for their fine fur...obviously this doesn't help relations. I had to show them I was friendly and then I bribed them with my cooking, a village worth of bulletproof flak vests, and some solar powered fans they can use to keep cool in the hot Kohanian summer. Anyway, the bike is in decent shape. I had to take it apart completely and clean it out. It should be ready to ride in a week or so."

Darnell smiled at the man's enthusiasm, "Sounds like an interesting place. I can't say I've been there. I'll have to get out there someday." He paused a moment, "You must have some mechanical skills there, if you can take apart a bike, clean it, and get it in riding condition after a week. I'm impressed." He meant it. He had lived his entire life around machines but didn't do much repairing himself.

He noticed the red haired neko was tapping her fingers and nodded to Vincent as if to say, excuse me for a moment. He turned to her, "Oh, come on, cheer up. They'll get out fine. You said so yourself. What do I have to do to get you to cheer up?"

Mikael smiled at Vincent's excitement over the chicken tacos. "And here I thought he was as dull as some of the Yamataians around here lately." Mikael thought to himself. He started to dig in several chips at the same time while Vincent and Darnell exchanged words about the motorbike. He took a bite into the last tortilla chip in the salsa and waited for it to be down his throat before he spoke again.

"Sour cream from the breasts of Nekos, eh?" putting his right hand under his chin and saying it softly in thought. "No way he actually believed they did that...but you never know," he thought. "Well then I'd like a chicken taco then." He then noticed the neko besides him tapping the bar nervously. "Sorry for asking about the Eucharis. Just trying to gather info on my assignment. The less surprises the better. Nepleslians are not a favorite people for various reasons we all know too well," Mikael said as he dipped the remaining chips into the salsa and laughed. He liked them to soak in the salsa a little before eating them. "With the reputation that ship has, it'll pull out of anything with its captain at the helm."

"No, no. It's allright, I'm fine. And yes, you're both right. The Eucharis will come trough in the end. I just worry. I wouldn't be a good soldier if I didn't worry." Kim waved off the comments of her apparently soon-to-be crewmembers as she took a sip of her second beer before glancing at each of them and resisted raising an eyebrow.

"So, what's your names? Unless I'm too much mistaken, you are both gonna ship out to the Eucharis, yeah? I'm Kurosora Kim, NitΓ΄ Hei."

Darnell shook his head, "Worrying won't do anyone any good." That Darnell knew from experience. "I'm Darnell Carlisle, or Carlisle Darnell if you prefer Yamataian order. It's spelled a bit oddly, I can show you how to spell it in both Yamataian katakanna and Nepleslian later if you want."

He thought for a moment, looking at the TV, then turned back to Kim, "Sorry. I'm a Santo Hei, but I've been in the service for over a year now. Most of that time was taken up in training, though, since Star Army Science requires a lot more knowledge than the average recruit."

A nekovalkyrja reclining in a booth near the window, who had been on-and-off listening to their conversation with her boots propped up against the seat across from her, flicked a bright orange ear in thought. She fished out a small personal electronic device and began to browse through its contents, as if she had suddenly thought of something.

Eventually, she pulled a small memory card out of it. Then she finished off her drink and approached the bar with the card in hand. Although she was wearing a sort of dark overcloak that looked as if it were some sort of academy issue, the scarf identified her as an officer. She looked somewhat put-out, as if depressed - she had been sitting in that booth a while, too, listening to the news - but she smiled cheerily enough at them, initially.

"Hey," she said, taking a seat, "I couldn't help overhearing you all were headed to the Eucharis. I guess High Command's hiring some replacements already, hu?" Without skipping a beat, or leaving the Eucharis recruits to ponder over that statement, she pressed on; "Listen, I have a favor to ask of one of you. Mind hearing me out?"

Mikael opened his mouth to introduce himself, but Darnell had beat him to the punch. He popped the last tortilla chip into his mouth and nodded to Darnell while he waited. It gave him a nice cover for action. Darnell finished speaking when the chip was on his way down his throat.

"Santo Hei Mikael Harris at your service..." Mikael said to Kim. He was about to press on when he noticed a cloaked nekovalkyrja move into his peripheral vision and into full vision when she sat at the bar. Noting she had an officer's scarf on and seemed rather depressed, he just simply nodded in acknowledgment of her presence and waited for the others to respond to her.

Darnell nodded at Mikael's comment, as a greeting. He heard footsteps approaching behind him and swung his seat around so he was facing that direction. He saw an orange furred Nekovalkyrja. He didn't like the fact she had apparently been listening in, not because of politeness but because he did not like being listened in on. But he was in no position to give an officer a tongue lashing.

When she called Darnell a replacement, he shook his head negatively. He knew he was filling an empty spot instead of replacing someone, only later realizing the distinction might not occur in her mind. It also served the double purpose of trying to hint she shouldn't be talking about the need for replacements in front of the other Neko.

She finished out her statement, Darnell looked over at Mikael for a moment, then looked back at the Nekovalkyrja. He took a very close look at her, noticing the data card. He spoke, "I feel like I should be saluting. Sorry, if you want me to, just say. But, I'll do you a favor. You want me to carry the data card to the Eucharis, right?" He nodded to the data card, "Because communications are jammed. But may I tell them who it's from? Or, if its not sensitive, its general nature?"

He smiled slightly, "I'm sorry, I'm just slightly paranoid. I don't want to carry a virus to my ship, or God knows what else. What with this war thing, I'm actually probably fully blown paranoid. Sorry ma'am."

Nodding to Mikael and Darnell as they introduced themselves, sipping on her ale slowly. So they were both recruits for the Eucharis, and unless she missed her guess, they were both infantry like herself. Just as she was about to reply to her new crew-members, she was interupted by the nosy Nekovalkyrja.

As Darnell managed to reply to the neko with the Officer's scarf, she put her hand on his shoulder and turned to face her. "Yes, we're from the Eucharis. No, we can't help you, as we're off duty. Go through the official channels if you have any buisness with the Eucharis and Hanako-Taisa. We don't have the clearance to carry information, nor do I think the Taisa would approve. As Darnell wisely said, you might be someone out to harm the Eucharis, ma'am. Especially with the many enemies of Yamatai."

While Kim didn't quite trust any officer whom approached off-duty soldiers, not to mention listened in to a private conversation, the orange-furred Nekovalkyrja was apparently an officer, which meant Kim at least had to maintain a level of politeness.

The officer took the time to set her glass down on the bar, and motioned for it to be refilled as she took the responses from the enlisted soldiers. Under the weight of the apologetic denials, she turned her yellow eyes away from them momentarily. The small data card turned in her hand.

"I appreciate your caution, and no, you don't have to salute me right now. You're off duty, right?" The nekovalkyrja gave another attempt at a wry smile, forcing a short, breathy laugh. "Any other day, maybe, but this is a personal favor. It's nothing that has to do with Hanako-Taisa, or the Eucharis; I have a friend who was stationed on your ship, recently, and this isn't something I could put through an official channel with the war on, like this, y'know?"

She placed the small data card flat on the table, tapping a finger on it.

"Hamada-Taii. When she left the Academy, she managed to sneak out after the graduation party. We took a couple of pictures that night and I think she might like to have them. I was saving them for mail or something, but you all came along, so I figured it might be a good alternative. That's all this is. She should be your exec', so she should be easy enough to find. My name is Misato Ayuri. I'm a Shoi, on the Storm, Sixth Squadron, First Ex-pe."

There was a pause.

"Or," she added cryptically, as if unable to resist the joke, "I'm also known as Bullshakrap, Grand High Overmistress of the Great Mishhuvarthan Fleet, and this is really just an elaborate hoax to give a PANTHEON-linked Plumeria Gunship some nasty little viris that turns the shower water pink, forces the IES to make farting noises over the squawk, and makes the bridge lights go all blinkity-beep."

This time the smile was actual. Sliding the card over in front of Darnell, she tapped it a final time.

"If you could just deliver this to Shizu-san, and tell her who it's from, that's all I ask. Sorry. It's an odd request, and you aren't couriers or anything, but I figured I'd try at least."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…