Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: YSS Eucharis [Mission 7.2 Side Story] Desperados

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [Mission 7 Side-Story] Desperados

Our XO?

"Excuse me, Misato-Shoi, but the Eucharis' Executive Officer is Kurusu Misaki, not this... Hamada, was it?" The redhead replied to the officer's explanation as she raised an eyebrow as she finished her bottle. There was no way Hanako'd replace Misaki. There were multiple reasons why, and Kim knew most of them.

"There might be a Hamada whom transferred onto the Eucharis after I left to recieve training, ma'am, but the Eucharis wouldn't have gotten a new XO. That position is held by Kurusu-chusa, a veteran of the first Mishhu war." Still keeping her polite coolness, Kim gave a brief smile to the officer.

Misato folded her hands in front of her, glancing at her empty glass for a moment.

"Well," she offered, feeling her way around Kim's cool politeness, "I don't claim to know what happened to your Kurusu, but I do know that Hamada was wearing white panels when she left. That's why she was promoted so far ahead of the rest of us. Treated it like some sort of death sentance, or at least that's the way she acted. Heak if I've any idea what's really happening though, so I could be wrong. Seems like everything's gone a little haywire recently, y'know?"

She scooted the glass around on the bar counter a little, trying to get the tender's attention.

"Hey, mate? Sorry for bothering, but it's been dry for a while. Peach Nehi on the rocks?"

Darnell smiled and took the data card, "I, for one, look forward to the pink showers and blinkity beeps, Grand High Overmistress. I shall tell this Hamada-taii that Mistress Bullshakrap's tentacles send their regard and hope to needle, nozzle, grapple, and squeeze her again in the near future."

Darnell looked over the data card, before dropping it into one of the deeper parts of his pockets. He said, "Well, we'll find out soon enough when we get there. I'll see if I can get you a message with the answer if you want to know, Mistress Bullshakrap. But cheer up, would you? Your tentacles are looking all droopy." Darnell smiled slightly at Misato.

Mikael feigned interest in the whole discussion between Misato and Darnell out of the need to keep under the officer radar. He even managed to laugh when she made the whole Grand High Overmistress comment. Diplomacy was not something his learned growing up and he was not in the mood to learn it at the expense of his health. So he continued to keep his mouth shut while he waited for his food.

But the discussion between Misato and Kim did interest him and he did his best to remember the names being mentioned.

The young officer let out a short, melodic little laugh. Her posture had lightened considerably.

"Hai, hai," she said afterwards, "Maybe not that far, but I really appreciate this. It's been a hard war already, for a lot of reasons. I'll apologize - I am usually a great deal more optimistic, myself. I'm actually glad to see you three so upbeat, things the way they are. But y'all aren't in here to listen to me, right?"

The new ice clicked very neatly into the glass in front of her. She paused, her flow of conversation interrupted. The bartender, apparently unwilling to interject his own thoughts, simply refilled the officer's glass with a lightly colored reddish-pinkish liquid. When he had moved on, Ayuri took the glass, swirled it a bit too theatrically, and took a drink of it. It was apparently a little sweet, or perhaps sour; she pursed her lips and blew a short breath before turning back to the enlisted personnel.

"You said you had left for training?" she asked Kim, before turning a pair of light blue eyes upon the other two Hei, "And how about you two? First assignment?"

Darnell nodded, his sense of humor was dull at best but at least it had done something. He said, "Its no problem. Try to stay happy. Make some jokes, keep morale high, do your part for the war effort, ne?" Besides Darnell thought, This hasn't even approached my idea of a bad situation yet. There's still food and water and the enemy is easy to identify.

When she asked about his assignment, Darnell nodded, "Its my first real assignment. I think when they sent me off to study science for a year some of the things I did technically counting as assignments, but I doubt I'd ever run into a Mish while collecting xenofungus. Maybe not, though. What about you? I mean, its not your first assignment, but what ship are you with? Or do you do something else? Actually, how has the war been hard already if you can tell me? I haven't really felt anything."

He smiled and made a slightly embarrassed gesture, "Of course, as you know, the Star Army would obviously tell an amateur low rank like me everything important." He was being obviously sarcastic, but in more an embarrassed than cynical way.

A small, slender man with short brown hair walked into the bar, face buried into his comm.He glanced up and saw an officer with a few recruits. Deciding to be friendly for once he saved his work and made his way over. "Hey guys. You all new recruits?"

"Yeah, I did. To advance my skills to be more useful." Kim replied with a shrug as she tapped her fingers on the bar-top, feeling slightly distracted from the conversation as she glanced around in the bar before turning around to take in the scenery once again.

Shaking her head again, Kim tried to get rid of her lingering doubts. Of course Misaki and the Eucharis would come out fine. They had Misaki, after all. Between her and Hanako, no other ship could ask for better officers. If any ship was to survive against the Mishu, it'd be the Eucharis.

Glancing at the officer and Darnell, Kim sighed slightly. I'll have to talk him to hand it in to be sent to the Eucharis through the official channels later, they'd at least check it. Thanks to her recent training in demolitions, Kim knew how tightly certain high explosives could be packed into tiny devices, so the package she wanted Darnell to bring onto the Eucharis could, at the right time, take out critical systems.

Yeah, she was likely being paranoid and overly cautious, but in times of war, you -never- knew whom the enemy might be, nor how they might strike. That was partially why the redhead had left to train, to be more useful, but also to better detect disguised and concealed explosives, as her old training had mostly just covered booby-traps and military explosives.

Look at me. I've got homesickness. I Seriously need to get back on the Eucharis. Unable to hold it back, the soldier let out a light and half-silent chuckle.

Sune stepped into the eatery and took a look around. A quick scan showed that the place was relatively empty, which was not unexpected given the local time. He did see a group of soldiers talking at the bar. Overall was warm and dry which was a good start to Sune's way of thinking. He looked around for a large table that would serve for the debriefing the Taisa wanted. Not seeing a single table that would serve, he walked over and pulled several tables together and then stood behind a seat close to the middle of one side. "Taisa, I believe this table arrangement will suffice for the crew." he said to Hanako.

Konoka skipped sluggishly into the establishment, sniffing the air. It smelled like burritos still. Tripping yet again, as she was not looking where she was going, Konoka smashed her nose innto the floor, flipped over, and crashed into one of Sune's tables. Noticing a sliightly bleeding nose and holding it, she muttered, "Ish 'eally nee to stop doin' fffat." Attempting to get up, she sighed, "I'sh'm shho shtupid."

Pulling out a chair for herself and politely for the others, she sniffed. "Hi....heh."

"Yes ma'am, this is my first assignment for me as well." Mikael said when asked the question. "Infantry trained, so I would imagine I will be getting a lot of chances to prove my worth here soon." Mikael was about to look around to see if Vincent was even still alive when he noticed more people coming into the bar.

One of them moved over towards them and asked if they were new recruits. Mikael just simply nodded his head for yes. When Mikael opened his mouth to say something more affirmative, one of the newcomers tripped and smashed her head into the floor before getting over to a chair. A grin came across Mikael's face, unable to contain it.

Kim frowned at the new arrival whom asked if they were all new recruits. Seriously, did nobody ever pay attention to the rank pins on her uniform. "That'd be a negative. Notice these? I'm Nito Hei Kurosora Kim, not some new recruit." She huffed. Maybe she was being a little snappy, but being constantly confused with recruits got annoying in the long run.

As she opened her mouth to comment once more, it snapped shut as she spotted the two persons she had least expected to randomly appear in the same bar as her. With a surge, the redhead soldier hopped off her stool and moved towards Hanako and Misaki.

"Hanako-Taisa, Kurusu-Chusa." She spoke and bowed to her CO and XO, smiling brightly. "I hadn't expected to see you here, especially after the news about Nataria. Oh yes, those two gentlemen at the bar are apparently new recruits for the Eucharis."

I missed you, Misaki. I got so worried when I heard Nataria fell... Kim spoke telepathically to Misaki, smiling just a shade more brightly to the XO.

It must have been destiny, for Hanako herself walked in just then, flanked by her gorgeous executive officers, Shizu and Misaki. The captain made a beeline to the bar, where she spoke with Vincent briefly about getting a private back room, which was easy enough once Hanako whipped out her KS Card. With that arranged, Hanako gave Kim a hug. "It is good to see you again," she warmly smiled.

Hanako waved the crew over to a brick archway and behind a red curtain where she found a long U-shaped conference-style table. The restaurant staff quickly began distributing tortilla chips and rolled-up silverware and napkins, as well as small menus. The Taisa claimed a seat near the middle and saved the seats on either side for the ship's officers. "Suddenly I am very hungry," she grinned. "Drinks are on me, by the way."

Ramiro walked over to the table Jalen had grabbed for them and was about to sit down when along came Konoka. He saw her stumbled out of the corner of his eye and turned his head just in time to see the full blow. He rushed over to help her and grabbed a napkin off a near by table. "Here, try using this so you don't bleed all over the place."

Once the Taisa had announced that they had a private room he decided to stay help Konoka over to the room. "Let's see if we can get you to the table in one piece."

Once inside the backroom he took a seat and flipped open the menu. He had finally decided what he wanted when the Taisa made her announcement. "Now that's my kind of captain," he roared in agreement. Then he saw the waiters bringing them tortillas and said, "And I don't have to decide what I want to eat! I'm liking this tourism thing."

Sune sighed to himself when he heard the Taisa's pronouncment. So much for taking the initiative. Oh well. He stood up and promptly returned the tables to their original coniguration, not wanting to make more work for the eatery.

Once he was satisfied with his work, he then made his way into the private room. He surveyed the table and decided that sitting next to Konoka was the most expediant. He looked at the menu, and decided on having some enchiladas. Not one to imbibe copious amounts of alcohol, and not really in the mood given the recent series of events, he selected a simple tea to go with his meal. I wonder how long it will be before we can get access to our possessions. he thought after ordering.

Giving Kim the next hug, Misaki smiled a little. She wasn't sure Kim was coming back or not after that training. We're okay. The rest of the squadron isn't though...the..Aurora was hit bad. If there's anyone alive they weren't on the bridge. Things got bad up there, but we managed to keep a lot of ships out of their hands.

"Let's go sit, all right?" She said to Shizu, and Kim both with warmth in her voice. Following Hanako back, she took the seat to her right and scooted it closer to her a little, then smiled, "Sangria please! Two pitchers." The XO knew Kurosora would sit to her right, so there was no problem. Picking up a chip, she crunched it nosily with her mouth closed for a few moments, and swallowed, peering around at the others filtering in.

At least they made it.

"Is Miyazawa going to be all right?" She asked, remembering the commotion as a menu found her hands, "I haven't been-well, really I've been to a real place like this only once before. I'm not sure -what- to get." The Chusa admitted, scanning things.

Someone came in and scouted out the tables. Darnell stood up, he wasn't particularly hungry or thirsty and the idea of a crowded place didn't appeal to him. He was moving quietly, with the others having their attention focused on the officer. It wasn't exactly polite, but Darnell would just apologize later.

Then Hanako and the other two walked in. They sparked no recognition in Darnell who merely managed to be sitting naturally in a chair nearby without ever having seemed to have walked there, as if he had been there the whole time. When Kim made the comment about the two gentlemen, Darnell felt obliged to stay.

The group walked in and he couldn't help but think of the Freespacers he had met, who tended to be off in their own little world until the time for action came when they pulled together and got through things. At least he really hoped these people could pull together.

He stood up and walked to the table where the rest were sitting, he walked to the very end of the U shaped table where the two prongs of the U were towards the wall. He moved a chair from along the edge so that its back was facing the wall. He walked within the U so he was standing in front of the Captain.

He saluted, "Ma'am. Darnell Carlisle, Santo Hei, Star Army Science. I look forward to serving on board your vessel should the interview you are supposed to administer result favorably." He continued to stand at salute. He wasn't fond of such formalities, but he could live with them.

As the Chusa had rightly predicted, the redhead sat on the XO's right, and had to fight to conceal her mirth at Darnell's salute. It was the very same mistake she had made when she had first transferred onto the Eucharis, and her own first encounter with Hanako. Now seeing Darnell repeat the mistake made her own mistake seem... lighter, though that was far into the past now.

"Don't get Vincent, that's the bartender, started on his chicken taco. Never seen anyone that passionate about taco... he does do have some nice fajitas though." Kim commented as she glanced around the gathering. So few she could remember from when she transferred to the Eucharis, or her last mission. Konoka she did remember, if vaguely, from her last mission before she left for training, on that dreaded jungle world.

"Santo Hei Carlisle," Hanako said, "I am pleased to meet you...however, in the Star Army we do not salute. Forgive me, but I do not want to do interviews just yet...we are very tired."

"Darnell Carlisle, our new ship's scientist," Hanako announced, so that everyone got a chance to learn his name.

A couple waitresses came over and Hanako ordered a water, a bottle of rum, and two of those huge chicken soft tacos that Vincent the bartender had been raving about.

Tasuku milled around in the front of the restaurant for a few moments before following the rest of the crew into the back room. He gauged the table as he walked into the back room, trying to figure out where he wanted to sit.

Blue panels eh...I'm not quite ready to buddy up to a bunch of doctors... Tasuku shuddered internally as he looked over toward Konoka and Sune.

In the center of the room Tasuku could see one of the recruits saluting the captain; he shook his head slightly, I'm glad I'm not that green anymore... I'd better do something to help though...

He contemplated the situation for a second then moved to the side of the table opposite Sune, Konoka and Ramiro; and took a seat next to Kurosora and the officers. His way of helping was an attempt to add himself as a buffer between the officers and the recruits. Sitting next to another Nitô Hei he could relax a bit too, he had his buffer also.

As he sat down he started to browse through the menu.
"What to get, what to get..." he said to nobody in-particular as he looked over the menu choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back