Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: ISC Phoenix [Mission 9] Enzo's Lady of the Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
The childlike Nekovalkyrja tapped her index finger on her arm, flexing for just a brief moment the impatient annoyance that Naoko fastidiously kept out of her smile. She had asked Smith a question; he had ignored it completely. Whether this was a function of his apparent pathological hatred of her, or not, it was very impolite. Naoko felt the unreasonable urge to strangle him for putting her in such an awkward position, socially. But, that was not equitable.

"That's pretty cold, yo," she said quietly, her tone swinging towards the bluer end of the vocal spectrum.

She began to walk towards him. For a moment it looked as if she were going to confront him directly - stand before Smith and force him to acknowledge her presence. Instead she brushed past him, barely even touching him, exiting the room without any apparent ire - and worse, completely without an apology or explination. As if it were not obvious enough.

"Smith?" Luca asked, even though he still appeared laid back and entirely calm, "You seem stressed. Want Crane to make you a cup of tea, coffee, whatnot?"

He then noticed what was going on between him and Naoko. They were engaged in a battle of wits, a Delsaurian Standoff, or they were possibly engaging in politeness judo and fighting to a draw, "Smith, Answer Naoko's question, please," He calmly requested before standing up and looking over to the view screen.

Luca decided to fiddle with it for a moment, minimising the Mule's plans and layout, and bringing up a program that acted as a whiteboard. It allowed you to draw things using your finger, and had a palette and tools on either side. He then superimposed the floor plans of the Mule onto the screen, making it partially transparent. He then made the corrections and alterations that Enzo mentioned.

Luca then stopped fiddling for a moment and made a few considerations, tapping his finger against his cheek in thought.
"It seems like we have our way of fighting down pat, but what about getting there?" He looked around the room, searching for an idea, "Any suggestions? We can't just play into their hands if its a trap."

Enzo frowned as Naoko left the room. He wanted to follow after her, to ask her why she let Smith get to her, but he also had his ship to get. It was the battle of the priorities in his head, and nobody was winning. Instead, he just stood frowning in the direction of the empty doorway for a moment before turning an accusing and flaming glare onto Smith. He looked the Origin Associate up and down with that judgmental look usually given to someone who took money out of your wallet while you weren't looking. It was a look he'd gotten many times before, so he knew how to give it like a pro.

Arin started thinking, Zeta helping her move her workstation would indirectly benefit the Captain, if Zeta's job was to ensure the well being of the Captain then it would not be an entirely selfish request. The Representative breathed a little easier from that thought.

"Thank you, I'll be counting on you." Arin then performed a small bow. "Shall we head on to the briefing then? I hope we didn't miss much."

Zeta strapped her bra and proceeded to put on the shirt and pants. She did not even bother tucking the shirt in and buttoned it up only half way through. She then took a pack of ciggaretess from her suit and turned to Arin. "Yeah we should head on. Mind if I have a smoke?" she asked and walked on.

She and little NAM representative soon walked where other were. Zeta's hair still wet. She looked at holo in middle. "So that is the thing eh?" She said. "Why don't we let Uriel fly Big Bird and let John get this thing in our hangar. We could have an edge here on our home turf. Also I bet Echelon can put some viruses up their comp. They have no reason to think we came to kill them so they might be willing to open communication channel. Wouldn't that be enoug for Echy." She burtsted out of herself. She then ligher a ciggarete. "So what did I miss?" she said when others were looking on her.

Panther was somewhat out of the loop to the interpersonal relations of Smith and Naoko, but shrugged it off as Panther thought to speak his mind on Luca's suggestion, "If the Luca is attacking a ship in space it would be wise to first watch from afar, or if it is on the surface, a search to see what plan they have." He then crossed his arms as he finished his suggestion, "It is wise to see the numbers and power they have before advancing."

Matthew had just finished patching up a hole in Missi's sweater she got from being shoved into a pile of scrap. Things were harsh, and some of her schoolmates harsher. Still, it was a living. He got up to give it back to her when -

- the Mindy ripped the pilot out of the Demon power armor, minus a few limbs from the sheer force of extraction. Blood gushed from the exposed arteries as the main wailed in pain before -

- going to check up on Scott. He was being unusually quiet for the time being. Even though he said he didn't need help with his homework, it was best to check up. Matthew opened the door to his younger brother, only to find him watching something rather arousing. The younger man scurried to his feet, pushing Matt out and aw-

- ay from the blast. As the Neko dragged him across the harsh cement, Smith groaned in pain, clutching his leg as blood started to darken the already dark business suit. "Aw, c'mon! Aren't you Neppies tougher than this?" She asked, bopping his wound. He scre-

-amed out to the kids; the cookies were done. They had earned it with their test scores after all. But something was wrong. They weren't coming. Matthew picked up the tray and walked to the living room. Before he knew it, the room turned into half werehouse and half home. Matthew was standing in front of Smith. Matthew was wearing plainclothes with an apron that said "Kiss the Cook" while holding a tray of cookies. Smith was in a bloody business suit, and finished applying an anti-coagulant spray, just in time to look up at Matthew. They both spoke at the same time; "Sh-

-it" Smith said aloud. "Sorry about that Mr. Pavone." He was blinked rapidly and rubbed his temple in an attempt to massage the pulsing beat in his head. "Yes, the Courier 2 will have no trouble catching up to a Mule, even if it has a head start." He then looked about. "Who was it that asked -" Smith kept looking about and caught Enzo's stare, and in less than a heartbeat, changed course.

"Nevermind."

Daxle had returned to the small infirmary and Ivan's body, and was presently examining Ivan's head. He wasn't exactly the top in his field on brain surgery, or neuroscience, but he could tell brain damage when he saw it. He began taking notes on what he observed; damage on the right side, damage in the nerves, an interestingly sparking apparatus, and a small coin lodged in the skull.
"Interesting" he said aloud as he used vision-enhancement equipment to observe otherwise tiny machines.
He carefully closed up Ivan's head and checked his vitals, which were still, for the moment, functioning. He then set out to find Jimmy and Luca, and anyone else who could help

Naoko flopped down on Luca's bed face-first, and found that she was seriously contemplating just falling asleep like that - clothing, and wet hair, and everything. But in the end, she rolled over, staring at the ceiling instead, considering her next move.

Smith's reactions was passing beyond the realm of her personal amusement, and becomming annoying. She was supposed to bother him, but not to the extent that he would subconsciously tune her out. Every turn she took, on her mindfuck, seemed to have negative and unexpected results - for instance, Naoko was getting used to the awkward feelings of alienation she encountered around the rest of the crew, but it was attention. With Smith, Naoko didn't even have that satisfaction. It was like he didn't see her at all, now.

As she lay there, she thought about the situation.

Naoko blinked. Then, she blinked again. Naoko would have smiled, but she did not do so then, because she was alone, and a smile was purely a social creature. This was a selfish satisfaction that she was indulging in, today.

He couldn't see her, hu?

Rising from Luca's bed, Naoko meandered over to the Captain's desk and pulled his console up. Sliding her legs up onto the chair, she sat on them so that she could reach it comfortably and spent a moment feeling for some sort of input jack for external media; it only took her a couple of seconds to find. Naoko felt it out gently with her finger, then she reached under her clothing to her shoulder and pulled a fleshy hemosynthetic wire from it.

She plugged in.

Luca frowned a little at Smith as Naoko left the room a few moments after Smith's reply, "Shame," He breathed, "I don't see what their problem is."

Sebastian started looking at his right arm and gave it a tap, grumbling a little, "Damn, arm's acting up again," He seemed to try and shake it a little, but it appeared to be completely rigid for a few moments, "Must be time to oil the joints." He stood up, took off his jacket and appeared to peel a layer of skin off of his right arm, which was used to conceal the true nature of the arm.

"Don't worry, I'll talk with you later to catch up on the plan," He assured the others, "I just need to get this arm looked at," He then started walking towards the med bay. He knocked against the door frame with his left hand and asked Daxle, "Excuse me Daxle, I just need some help with the maintenance," He pointed to his right arm.

His right arm appeared to be very unusual for a cybernetic replacement and enhancement. It appeared to be made of many 'muscles' that pulled and contracted, just like the real thing. It appeared to be a very original build, Elysian in make, and much more sophisticated than the average Nepleslian replacement. All it needed was the oil to be changed and a couple of connections needed tightening.

-

Back at the conference room, Luca was considering the input from his team mates. He started with Panther's input first:
"That is an excellent deduction," He nodded towards the Kohanian with a smile, "We do need to have an extra set of engines flying around to watch our flank. We can use the Big Bird to do that."

Melissa nodded in agreement, indicating that Luca had a sound judgement, "Wait, isn't the eye-ess-see Feenix on there too?"
Luca snapped his fingers, "Right you are, I think what we'll do with that is that we'll have three parties. One to hold the Kestrel, one to hold the Big Bird, and another to stay on the Phoenix to act as a boarding party - that way we have all our bases covered."

"Two ships - one of which has something made for drilling holes in planets shouldn't be too much of a match against whatever happens to us."

He then turned around to the view screen and started doodling. He made a green dot in the centre labelled "MULE", and drew a red line from the bottom up towards the Mule, but stopping short and circling it halfway. That line was labelled "KESTREL".
From the other half of the circle, he drew an orange line, which was labelled "BIG BIRD". From the middle of the orange line, a blue line went towards the Mule, labelled "PHOENIX". He then drew a pair of black semicircles with arrows, signifying that the Kestrel and Big Bird would be patrolling.

"Any objections?" Luca asked as he stepped away.

When Seb walked away to have his arm checked out Zeta looked at hers. It was acting up a little since that supersonic punch she gave to that goo-bastard. Impulse protected her good, but apperently not enoughy, well the arm of the Impulse feel of afterward after all. She looked at Arin and whispered to her ear. "Hey I'll help yer with moving you stuff and you could help me out by cechking me arm. The bloody thing is acting up since I punched that one bastard at crafty speed of around 170 miles per hour."

She then focused back to the discussion. It was interesting, some ideas from her was used. For example using Big Bird. And now even Phoenix. But she still wanted to point out one thing again. "I still think we should consider asking Echelon fro help. Virusing them out would safe as a whole lot of troubles you know." She said. "Anyway I'll go with boarding party. I expect Enzo to go too, since he knows the ship as his backside. We could use one more gunner and some tech-person too. You never know what you might hit. JImm could go with us too, he is medic and can shoot gun well." She then turned her head to Robert. "WHat about you Raggy? You on this with me?"

"Eh?" Arin mildly exclaimed in surprise, NAM only manufactured plain clones, everything that would come after that like job training, cybernetic enhancements or placement was the responsibility of the buyer. Cybernetic enhancements was the only one field that NAM did not indulge in, otherwise fresh graduates like herself would have been encouraged to have one or two for 'first-hand practical experience'.

But then again, Arin wasn't the one to refuse a perfectly agreeable exchange of promises. Besides, everyday cybernetics shouldnt be too mechanically complex. "I should look at it before you help me carry the workstation, lifting a weight like that might make the problem worse." The Rep wispered back.

She then upturned both of her uncyberdized palms, closed her eyes and shook her head slowly. "No objections."

Zeta said:
"WHat about you Raggy? You on this with me?"
Robert blinked awkwardly as Zeta turned to face him just as he had slipped into the room unnoticed with a fully blown up brown paper bag in his right hand. His mechanical left hand was open and ready to clap the bag. and his rather scarred and ugly face was not more than a few inches away from Zeta's. He gave a sheepish grin and hid the conspicuous bag behind his back. "Well, of course I'm coming. I can't just let you have all the fun now can I?" he said.

Zeta smiled slighty at him and nod. She alse raised one eyebrow and tried to look what is he hiding behind his back.

"Damn shootin' I gets to be on that boardin' party." Enzo responded to Zeta's earlier comment, unholstering his revolver. He pointed it towards the wall and imagined the shadowy figure no doubt setting up the trap for them as they spoke, and mocked a powerful blast with a sharp 'pshew' sound. "No objections", he finished.

The Elysian, who had been silent thus far, finally spoke three words. "No objections, Captain." And that was all he had to offer.

He then set out to find Jimmy and Luca, and anyone else who could help...

...Or at least he was, when on his way out Sebastian appeared at the door, nearly knocking Daxle over, and then asking to repair his arm.
"Oh w-we- ok, well, uhhhhh step in," he said, both surprised and seemingly off balance.
"I guess...well yea take a seat, sorry that you can't use the medbed," he added, sounding almost like he was thinking aloud, also indicating Ivan, who still occupied the bed.
After twisting several times, seemingly to get his bearings, he began to rummage through the drawers until he found a magnifying glass eye-piece. Daxle then whistled.

"Man, this is soooooome piece of work!" he said in awe, "I couldn't even begin to think how this was made, let alone how to work on i-..." he stopped, sheepishly looking back up to Sebastian.
"I mean, I can fix what's wrong, no problem!" he quickly assured, equally as quickly looking back to Sebastian's arm.
He took the arm and carefully moved it back and forth, then slowly flexed and curled each individual finger so that he could get an idea of what to do.

"Well, lucky for us you were right, just basic maintenance. Fluid change and retightening of a couple joints; your arm to finger response time isn't what it should be," Daxle finally said after the examination, quickly standing up and looking about for what he needed.
He found a simple tub and placed it beneath Sebastian's arm, then opening the fluid drainage tap within the arm. While it was draining, Daxle whipped out his Utili-tool, flipping out the universal screwdriver, and began to carefully tighten certain joints within the arm.

"No objections." Smith simply stated. "If you don't mind sir, I'm going to recalibrate the cannons. Send me a message if you need anything." With that, the Origin Rep strode off.

Smith walked through the halls of the Courier 2. Soon enough, the ship was likely to see the first action since being rolled out of the shipyards, and he didn't want a thing to go wrong. A toolbox was in his left hand, as the right hand was now starting to turn a mottled purple from the earlier fight on Dawn station. 'And at this rate, I might end up Starting a fight if I let the thing get the better of me. he thought. Smith recalled the earlier briefing; everyone with eyes likely caught him lapsing. Absolutely embarrassing. Still, it was best not to dwell on that; Matt busied himself by opening a panel for one of the ship's Point Defense Weapons, and started to check it over manually. It wasn't as efficient as just doing it electronically, but it killed time.

Then, the lights went off.

The Origin Representative's hand froze as his heart nearly did so; one wrong move, now of all times, and the plasma conduit would burst! What in hell's name was going on? The usually professional and rightfully feared Origin Rep now felt an unnatural pressure. And he didn't like it. 'I'll just have to wait it out. Backup lights should be on any moment...

They flickered again. Someone was standing behind him - had he caught movement out of the corner of his eye? Smith could feel breath, warm on his neck, courting the hairs gently erect. His hand slowly, carefully moved out of the close quarters. The freeze, followed by the rush of blood made his flesh start to prickle and burn. He turned around slowly and deliberately, ready to stare down whoever it was.

The lights flickered. There was a shadow - a thing in the twitch of the hallway lights, before they returned to full brightness. The hall was completely empty. Had he seen a person? A face?

He reached his hand up to the back of his neck, feeling it, then looking at the fingers before rubbing them together. They were moist, and he wasn't sweating. Yet. Or, was it just his imagination? Yes, it was just sweat, and whatever he saw was just his imagination. After all, Smith reasoned, he did come here to try and get his mind off the Neko. He went back down again, and reached for his tool.

And there it was, smiling, completely naked with its hair all around it, crouched just beside him. Inches away. Centimeters.

Smith recoiled back in horror at what he was seeing; it didn't matter if it was real or not! He was seeing a god damned Naked Neko, and that was never easy to unsee! The Origin Rep fell on his ass as he scurried backwards, clutching his chest as his heart palpated under his ribs. Slowly, the image crawled forward, one hand over the other, one knee on the deck at a time. There was something about its eyes. Smith squinted, and what he saw nearly gave him a heart attack.

They were pitch black. There were no whites, and no color.

It bared its teeth.

The lights flickered, for a brief few seconds, and when they came back on the image was gone - replaced by the open panel, the bag of tools, and the equipment that he had been working on, which was untouched and unspoiled.

He couldn't even move. Part of him had wanted to keep moving back. Or even reach for his pistol, but that didn't happen. As reality resumed, Smith was glad that he hadn't. It was just him. Matthew sighed before gathering up his tools. Now he couldn't relax by giving things old fashioned monkey grease. He got up to leave.

And the lights flickered just once more.

And once more, Smith froze as the sense that humanity relied on the most, simply vanished. A cheeky part of his mind said 'Not again...it'll pass.' but the rest of him went stiff with terror. Was it just him? The ship couldn't be doing this...yes. It had to be just himself, Smith thought. He reached out a hand to a wall to guide himself along the corridor, his steps unsteady like a child's. As he stumbled along, the lights came on again, and he was once more completely alone in the hallway - or so he assumed. There was a clatter from where he had been working. Without really believing it, or wanting to even do it, he turned.

The tool bag crashed at his feet, spreading tools and parts everywhere, scattered across the floor. Nothing.

Smith quickly went back to hastily jam the tools back into the toolkit. This wasn't good; what was happening bordered on the impossible. He had to get to somewhere else. Somewhere where he could sit down safely and Think properly. His heart race as his sweaty palms rusehd to force the last tool away before hurridly walking from the place. It felt like hallowed ground.

It felt like he was being watched.

Paranoia. It served him well before. But this, This! It was eating at him like a parasite inside his chest; if it ate too much, Smith knew he was going to burst. He had to get out of there! Black polished shoes flashed as his quick walk turned into a jog.

Smith expected more, but that was the end. His footsteps were unfollowed; the eyes in the back of his neck did not dog him down that corridor. It was his imagination; it had to be his imagination. He could hear giggling, echoing after him. That was his imagination.

But it was over. That's what he told himself.

Panther walked up to the holo image as he spoke, "I would like to be part of the boarding party as well. The mystery of whoever would steal such garbage interests me, and be worth while to find out if they are a wealthy target." The Kohanian watched the image while waiting for Enzo's ship schematics to be brought up again so he could study them.

Luca rubbed his hands together with a clap, "Excellent," He smiled as he saved a picture of his plans and saved it to the computer's desktop, "We should be getting to Nepleslia Prime soon, I can feel it. Apparently this ship is incredibly fast."

-

As Luca had guessed, the ship was in orbit around Nepleslia Prime about a half hour later.
"See?" He he motioned to planet with his thumb from one of the windows and then put the co-ordinates of where Enzo's Shuttle was (allegedly) on the main screen, "Now, we've got our plan, but I have one more question. Do any of us need to head down planetside to get anything? Now's going to be our last chance."

Melissa shrugged, "Nah, I got everything I need," She nodded knowingly.

Meanwhile, over at the Med Bay, Sebastian sat tight as his arm was being operated on. As his arm was getting worked on, he could feel everything. He'd spent about thirty or forty years of his life with this arm, and over time, a sort of 'bond' had occurred.
He could feel the oil leaving, then getting changed, and the very few nuts and bolts loosening and tightening for checking. Eventually, his arm was restored to its normal state.

"Much appreciated, doc," Sebastian told Daxle as he flexed his arm once again, "I'll give you a pay packet bonus of some sort later, once we're through with this mission."

Meanwhile, over on the Lounge, Luca was awaiting reply for making last minute trips down for supplies, or otherwise.
"This might be our last chance for some extra supplies in a while," He asserted via announcement, "If you don't feel prepared, even a little - address the need."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back