• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Mistakes were made, please ignore this topic.

Grey Library

Inactive Member
MEC Type H

Apparently, when you kill a Nepleslian soldier in Power Armour, his head rockets off like a goddamn champagne cork.
awww.staggeringstories.net_thedoctorshead1a.jpg

Granted, it IS a very creative way on preserving the cranium of a fallen trooper, but really, Nepleslia? Really?

I am a little speechless at the moment.

It is a throwback to a time long ago, when Nepleslia did crazy shit just to do it.

To be fair, the head is stuffed into a sturdy jar, and the JAR is launched out of the burning wreckage. That way, if you were a great soldier, we could put you in a hall full of Hero Heads, immortalized.

Don't ya wanna live forever, friend?

So far as I know, that system only applies to NAM-produced armorsuits.

Also, you may want to tone down the scorn/sarcasm. You've already made your opinion clear... but there's nothing that can be done about it. Unless you actually want to design the next generation of Nepleslian power armors and think up of another system to preserve a doomed wearer.

Relax, the system only triggers on a fixed set of preconditions. First you must shake well... :p

Sergeant: "Recruits! If you are going to die, lean forward! Launch your head jars at the enemy and take at least one of them with you!"

NMX soldier: "Damn, I'm short a Corporal for my head jar collection. Trade you a Sergeant for that?"

:)

@Fred, to clarify, I am not being sarcastic. I am just plain lost for words.

Upon thinking about it, I applaud the creative solution to saving fallen troopers from death. I am just caught off guard by sonething like this.

In essence, I am sputtering in disbelief behind the computer.

If this is a sore topic or I have unwittingly offended, I sincerely apologize and will abandon this line of inquiry posthaste.

Hey, don't worry about it. It's not any sore topic. It's more that there's not much point fussing after that fact considering it's been in use for years now.

It's just...
I cannot unsee a tank full of pinballing heads.

What next, FTL Head Torpedoes?

I saw that, and I thought "maybe he doesn't get it". I was concerned all I was seeing was ridicule.

There was a time when Nepleslia wasn't much of a faction at all. You'd have the random roleplays on it, but it didn't really go much beyond just being a locale.

And then, circumstances were right, and some people rose up to actually make something of the nation. They started one plotship, people got interested and joined in, more people contributed, and some of those ideas were pretty out there. The important part, though, was that Nepleslia was not Yamatai, and it was working. It was alive, kicking and more plotships eventually became a reality. It's memberbase increased.

You're looking at one amongst many crazy ideas that made Nepleslia work, whether or not it really stands up to scrutinery is something else. I kind of agree with you, and go "ugh" at the idea. I kind of like Yamatai's implementation somewhat better. But beyond initial vouching and support for the first Nepleslian plot, it's not like I contributed much. I didn't invest, I didn't stop and brainstorm and try to create anything better. So, who am I to critique? It's not like I'm really all that invested and want to make the effort of making Nepleslia better as a faction. But other people did that, and I respect that.

It's that point that I wanted to impress on you. Other people worked hard to make this. You can disagree/be bewildered by that but still appreciate that. Or you can be one more of the people that make SARP better and lift up your sleeves to try and make something you'll find better if you think something can be improved on. Just remember that SARP is entirely homebuilt, so, if you see something in the wiki, it's because someone made it.

Ah, I see. I apologize for disrespecting the hard work put in by all my forebears here. Thank you for enlightening me of my transgression, I will make sure this does not repeat. Offensive post has been deleted.

Let us leave this topic to rust, it serves no more purpose.

Head jar thing was totally not my idea, but I loved how unique it was. That brainstorming chat was a trip, I tell you. That stuff is what makes Nepleslia special. Throw-it-to-the wall and see if it'll stick mentality that defined those early years.

That head jar actually may be one of the first inventions ever made for Nepleslia. But don't worry, they also have the cerebral chip if that's to your fancy.

It should be known, in addition to what has been said, that for a long time Nepleslia did not have the practical immortality through Soul Savior pods that Yamatai enjoys; if someone died in a Nepleslian plot, that was it. That was left that way by design; many of us believed the absolution and threat of death was too important to characters to sacrifice.

The MEC was a halfway between things. We could potentially do whatever we needed or felt we should do with the head of a dead character; it was about creating plot options just as much as it was a display of Nepleslian ethics and morals for our fallen soldiers.

And don't feel bad about questioning the MEC, because things in Nepleslia are questionable. Before we grew into the current Nepleslia, our soldier were rowdy, reckless and crazy.

Our powered armor spat lethal radiation into our bodies by design, we took numbing and enhancing cocktails of dangerous chemical stimulants equally for shits and giggles as well as a battle-edge, our tactics revolve largely around shoving as many soldiers at you as possible because Nepleslians are the hardest bastards in the galaxy, and we put spikes and chainsaws on everything just because it was awesome.

It isn't played up nearly as much as it used to be, but Nepleslia, for all our supposed order, is crazy because we like it that way.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back