• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Mutant Dolphins Invade Wakayama, 1,716 Killed!

I did indirectly hear about this by the Simpsons in a halloween episode. In it, the dolphins went on a revolution, claiming the land belonged to them and eventually pushed man into the oceans as man had did to the dolphins 'ages ago'.

The 'pushing dolphins into the oceans' sounds like a plot device, not a fact.
And this article confirms it to a degree. This just came to me after I skimmed the article.

I ... didn't need to know that.

It's not particularly right to kill creatures as intelligant and self-aware as Whales. Especially through stabing a giant harpoon through them.

Not at all.

There intelligance is not in the same league - especially since they do not exhibit advanced communicative ability, particularly advanced social skills (beyond requiring a sense of smell to be aroused) or indeed an advanced self awareness. Show a Dolphin a mirror and it will not only know that it is the creature that is reflected but use it to insepct its body. So will an elephant interestingly enough.

And here is where the double standard comes up.

Where do you decide which animals are intelligent enough to live? Pigs develop emotional attachments. They do exhibit communal behavior, though perhaps not to the extent whales do. Nevertheless. Extremely intelligent, and put through months of absolute HELL, living packed shoulder to shoulder, knee deep in their own shit, before being slaughtered and shipped off for human consumption.

Most food crops are rather disgusting in their treatment of animals, but pigs represent a rather astutely horrific form of abuse. Debeaking of poultry is pretty vomit-inducing as well, though...

We buy organic pigs and free range chicken to avoid those environments.

In addition I feel I can make a distinction - are pigs ever depressed enough to show full blown clinical depression from captivity? Or to develop various levels of psychosis from simply being restrained?

Nah, as long as you keep a pig in relatively good conditions, like most farms in Britain certainly do, they're perfectly happy. Intelligent they may be, but simple creatures they art.

Pigs, as far as my research goes know around about 20 'words' in their language, have very good concentration skills and at least a three year memory. That hardly compares.

My mother's consort is actually working with the the dairy food industries and one thing that came up was cow stress management. He was exposed to thesis and other university-level studies that outlined the behavior of cows given select stimulus such has how clean their environment was, how fresh their food was and what space they had to sleep, eat and move around.

It sounded really ridiculous when he recounted the experience of that meeting. People - business men, really - came to gather together to discuss managing the stress cows experienced.

The trick is that the human being apparently is trying to manipulate domesticated animals into being healthy enough to be in the best conditions to produce. If they're starting to worry about stress management so to insure the good mood of the cows, I'd dare think that the cows might be treated that badly... at least with the people my mother's consort is dealing with.

Nah, as long as you keep a pig in relatively good conditions, like most farms in Britain certainly do, they're perfectly happy. Intelligent they may be, but simple creatures they art.
"Most farms in Britain" is questionable. Considering "most farms the world over" treat animals like inanimate objects that cant feel pain.

Pigs, as far as my research goes know around about 20 'words' in their language, have very good concentration skills and at least a three year memory. That hardly compares.
Which clearly relegates them to the level of 'slaughter for human consumption'. Of course. How silly of me. Honestly. I think the human objection to eating animals, at least in Western nations, has more to do with which animals are 'cute' than any actual moral reason.

Not really.

I think ducks are adorable. But will happily eat it.
I don't eat deer - for taste reasons.
Cats - Intelligant and my one true love.
Dogs - Their use as pets gives them a degree of intelligance, be it imposed or not. That and I doubt they taste good.
Whale - see above.

Lambs are as cute as hell but I eat lamb chops.
Rabbits? ... I don't really know.

See, cats and dogs are intelligent. Nearly as much so as pigs.

On a side note, dog meat isnt that bad. Cat is kind of stringy. Dont judge me; Im polite enough to eat whats served to me when people are giving me food and shelter.

Remember where I said 'dont judge me'?

Yeah. I am strongly opposed to eating pigs. Cats. Dogs. Whales. Most animals, actually, as I think people greatly underestimate the intelligence of their food crops.

Im opposed more, however, to the way these animals are treated.

Wolves don't seem to mind eating deer though. In fact, a good part of the animal kingdom actually dedicates itself to hunting down and eating the other part for which meat holds little appeal.

Treating animals badly is to be frowned upon, sure. While they live, they should have a chance to be reasonably content. I will not, however, go on a guilt trip about promoting the killing of animals so I can sustain myself by eating meat. As long as the killing is not wasteful, outright cruel and that the product obtained is not wasted; I consider it acceptable.

I don't eat cats and dogs, though. No wish to either, unless it would be a desperate mean of survival (which would probably include cannibalism of recently dead bodies from injury - the dead person doesn't need the muscle mass anymore and if I wouldn't eat it, it'd go to carrion or scavengers).

Note that I also dont believe people should stop eating meat.

Id like to see more moderation (cut the meat crop in half worldwide, and the grain saved could more than solve world hunger...), but I understand people like meat.

Hell, at times I do too. Especially fish.

Which will be gone by 2048, if we don't stop overfishing everything.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back