• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

My Search is Finally Over

Big Dread

Inactive Member
I read the little description of this site and my head literally popped like a over ripe melon that got too close to Galiger. The experience was completely painless but did require some serious cybernetic surgery in order to put my exploded skull back into one piece. Once my new OS was booted up I logged back on read some more and I shorted out my awesome circuit just from the depth of information on here. I can't even begin to describe how long I've looked for a detailed sci-fi roleplaying site that also has detailed war games. So, my gushing has been completed and now I can tell you some stuff about me.

I've gone by tons of screen names in the past but now you guys can call me Dread. I've been doing play-by post rp for about 13 years starting out on friggin' Neo-pets sites and then transitioning to email and MSN groups. I did a ton of rping on there until MSN took it down for whatever reason. Since then I have been jumping all over the web. I've played on Jcink, Invisionfree, frackin' everything. In addition to doing tons of forum rp I do tons of table top stuff. Only the good stuff though, you know, like..... everything. My favorites are Shadowrun and Warhammer though. I am a huge sucker for cyber pretty much anything and love a good story to go along with my robot killing machines. I play everything under the sun, man, woman, dogman, dogwoman, whatever. I love aliens, robits, errrrvrahthang! I am just a huge sci-fi junky. If it's got future tec you can bet i've heard of it and probably love it.

So, that's my history in a quick dose. As for what I want to do on here is meet some pimpin' people and kick some mad ass while developing character (Can a killer robit love?) I love to do freelance stuff so I'll likely check out that whole free spacer thing with great interest. That and the robit people(Really, can a robit love!?!?!) Though, most likely I'll end up doing something totally different because I get ideas for just everything. I tend to have a problem on limiting myself to just a few characters. hahahah! I'm looking forward to getting scouted by the best faction around for my first character and I am always ready to learn and make new and interesting plots and characters. Now I think I will conclude before I go on rambling until my head explodes again. So, peace out, in, and around and I can't wait to get this doom train rolling. am i rite? POW!

Heyo! Welcome to Star Army, called SARP by most of us weirdos. I'm your Local everything guy who does a bit of everything, including running the largest player-controlled corporation in the setting, as well as running several plots, and even my own personal RP website on the side. I'm glad you've found us, as SARP was where I got my start doing anything beyond one on one RP with some of my school friends Via Gaia. I've been on SARP for almost 8 years now and I have to say that while it does have its share of drama, it is a great place to be.

Be sure to check out my Company/Faction, Origin Industries!

Also, I have to say you have good taste, choosing the freespacers, Unfortunately they don't have a lot of support in the setting right now, but I can assure you there are factions and people, such as my company, or Nepleslia, who are willing and open to accepting the 'Sapcers. Feel free to check out the #stararmy channel on Sorcery.net IRC, as it's usually full of people who are more than happy to help you out, though beware of the zaniness and general crazy that you might encounter in said channel. I hope you enjoy your time here at Stararmy, and I hope you stay a while!

- Kai.

Hell yeah! What a great intro post, I'm already thrilled to have you joining us. First, welcome to Star Army! I'm Wes, I've been running this RP since 2002 as webmaster/admin/head GM guy. My goal is for you to have the best experience and till help you get into the RP and become a long-term member. So anything you got questions about, or if you want to try something outside the norms, just let me know and I'll see what I can do to assist you. Star Army is big and has a lot of history but we're always growing and open to new ideas, and I'm sure with your experience, you will be full of them.

Of the various major factions, Yamatai is the biggest in terms of players and plots with their own subforums, and I serve as manager for it. Yamatai is multicultural with a bit of Japanese flavor because it's partly inspired by the space opera anime genre prevalent in the 80s and 90s that many of us grew up with. If you see a chibi-version of a character, chances are I bought it! (And I'll get you one if you use the chibi request thread in the Creativity forum once you make your characters). Yamatai's most detailed feature is, of course, its military, the Star Army of Yamatai. The Star Army has species from all over Yamatai and beyond, but is mostly Nekovalkyrja, the genetically engineered artificial species of cat-eared females, which get mass-produced any time the military thinks there's a chance of war.

Note that the chat Kai mentioned also has a link on the forums, under the logo.

Actually the more I hear about the Yamatai the more I don't like them. Hahahaah! I'm really interested in the mass of Indie factions you've got that need people and plots. I'm so ready to get on the "non-superpower" train and ride it into oblivion!

Here comes THE LAW. Okay now that juvenile joke on your nickname is over, let me welcome you to SARP. I bet you played a lot of Riggers in Shadowrun Freespacers are awesome and from what I read you might enjoy Nepleslia a lot, though it is not very 'indie'. I will also use this space to greedily advertise plot I am co-GMing. Bounty Hunters. It is indepent plot so almost anything goes. If you like shooting guns and have fun check us out!

Don't let the guys in the channel poison you against Yamatai, especially if you haven't tried it. As for independent stuff, we could really use some bold people in that area who will start RPs.

Late though it may be. I am actually working on a merc/bounty hunter character. I have already looked over your plot! I likes it! I just need to hammer out what I exactly want to do and draw up my person. As for being turned against the Yamatai, I don't think I was turned against them so much as my natural state is to oppose fascist dictatorships and highly populated site factions. That and the culture just doesn't exactly appeal to me.

Yamatai is way more of a constitutional monarchy, where monarch holds more power then senate pretty much. Dictatorship is a bit too strong. Though those two may look similiar at a glance.

Yamatai is pretty fun as it's quite a diverse faction between plots. From murky conspiracies and dark secret missions, to a light hearted romp or even swimsuit episodes! You have the steadfast loyalty and diversity of the Eucharis and the First Fleet, the stout of heart and determined Fifth Fleet, to the imperialistic and pragmatic Tenth Fleet with its enigmatic commander in its own cold war on the Lorath border and independent spirit.

It's all about what you want out of your roleplay. Other "indie" options include the nationalistic Lorath with their sleek technology and rigid caste system. The Gartagens who are suffering growing pains from their recent expansions in the past few years who are steadfast allies of Yamatai with their rugged technology. The Abwherans with their tough construction and advanced railguns.

Other species without plots that can be used in independent plots are Separa'shan (snake people), Phods (Pig ducks), Chelti (chaotic marsupials), and many others I can't remember. Be sure to check them out on the wiki if you haven't already.

I'm late to the thread, I know, but I thought I'd chime in here. I currently play a character on a Yamatai plot, even though she is very, very distinctly *not* Yamataian. But I'm still enjoying it immensely. It's all about what you make of it; you can have your character accept or reject any or all aspects of the setting you choose, so long as it's within the scope of the fictional reality you're playing in. ;)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back