• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

[Nairan 01] Nepleslia - Rescue Operations

I'm Only Dancing

Inactive Member
[Helgaiden; Vampire Class; in orbit of Nepleslia]

Suwahara Takihe pondered quietly, gazing down at the floor. It was past time to be launching this operation, but it couldnt have been avoided. What was one to do, when the Aethelings fell at eachother's throats the moment Tanaka Chan and Mikawa (the thought of their commander nearly set him into a fit of cursing idiots) were away? The ideal was fresh in everyone's mind, it seemed. But as Mikawa had left no clear ascendancy, they all considered themself the best potential leader.

He had simply claimed the right more swiftly, by securing the allegience of Heike. Two Aethelings stood above any individual, and that settled the matter.

He sighed deeply, and spoke through the vessel's com systems.

"Attention. This is Takihe. I request that all Watchers report to the bridge for briefing. Operations are to begin in four standard hours."

Ahearn was wondering idely around the Helgaiden as he heard Takihe's message. He smiled a wry little smile at nothing in particular save the title of Watcher. It had occured to him several times what exactly they where meant to be watching, although for some reason or another the subject never came up. In any case a Watcher he was, and as such he was bound to go to the bridge. Not that it impeeded anything significant of course, interrupting idle wanderings was more of a blessing than an inconveninace.

He headed to the bridge, cane in one hand, dressed in a fine blue suit, and a slight smile on his lips. He was looking forward to this briefing, a chance for civil conversation and gentile agreement, as well as (hopefully) coming to a peacefull decision over their course of action. Action. Ahearn savoured that word. It wasn't sofisticated, quite lowly really, however it bore with it the promise of escaping his currently hundrum reality of idely wandering around a ship, and maybe, just maybe making a differance. More rationally he was fairly convinced the briefing would decay into a shouting match and a clash between ego's, probably deciding upon some comprimise that was dangerous for everyone. That was the way of the world. He hoped to be proved wrong, he really did, but was reasonably certain he wouldn't.

He walked onto the bridge with a refined air, his outward optimism disguising his inner contempt.

Takihe yawned, and seated himself as, one by one, the eleven Watchers aboard the Helgaiden filed in. Ahearn was third to answer his calls. Ahearn, the man irritated the hell out of Takihe with his manner, his nature, but his abilities were difficult to deny. Still, Nepleslia was hardly the place for gentlemanly charm...

"Ahearn." He yawned once again, dramatically. "You will be in charge of locating any information possible on the whereabouts of Tanaka Chan and His Lordship Mikawa." He spoke very sarcastically, there. "You may take a Jilanth if you see fit, and any resources you need. I expect confirmation on their location or their deaths. Dont return without it."

He continued briefing the others - a woman named Alai was given the task of recovering Kouji Aiba and Veniz Dahl, the Freya's confirmed survivors. A man calling himself Yazu was assigned to scout out mercenary aid for the recovery operations. The other eight were given far more mundane tasks.

And voices began to rise shortly after that, and Takihe raised his hand up to make one more statement.

"You may argue amongst yourselves as you will, but your assignments will not change. You leave in four standard hours. You will be ready, or you will not touch ground at all."

Ahearn nodded his head upon Takihe's mention of his name, and continued smiling urbanely. He'd already picked up Takihe's dislike of him, Ahearn had ever been adept at reading body language and sentiment, and Takihe wasn't being subtle.

After the conversation broke down, as Ahearn had predicted it would, he just sat back and enjoyed it. There was something glorious about the petty arguements, angry words over insignificant details. Ahearn simply stroked his goatee and waited for a polite time to leave, and upon finding it, strolled out. A Jilanth all of his very own, how very generous Takihe was being, and the ability to draw upon any resources he saw fit. He considered for a moment abusing that point, just to teach a lesson, but decided against it, firstly since it was impolite to punish someone for an error based on optimism, and secondly (and far less importantly in Ahearn's view), was the fact that Takihe would make his life very hard on his if he did.

In any case Ahearn headed back to his quarters to change. Instead of getting into the body armour, camoflague or power armour that one might expect of someone going to Funky City, or picking up the arsenal of a small country, he simply changed into a black suit, made sure both of his conventional projectile pistols (he'd studied the gentile art of dueling with pistols for a while, and carried a brace of them when he was going into a dangerous situation), and of course carried his Cane. He thought about wearning a monocle as well, but decided it would be a little too much. Expecting his goatee in a little pocket mirror, and checking the time on his wrist watch, seeing he had the best part of three and a half hours left, he settled down to aquaint himself with Tanaka and Mikawa, and there condition when they had last been heard of.

Takihe listened pensively to each objection his watchers raised as Ahearn left the room. Ahearn, followed by Alai, then Yazu. The rest stayed to argue their case, their worthiness for a more important task. And he listened, oh yes, he listened, and denied each one, one after the other, in quick succession. As they surely were quite used to by now. He had done the same for the nine years he had served Nairan, though recent months had been more interesting than the early days, of childhood optimism with no grounding in reality.

Ahearn would find all the information known at the moment in his quarters - Takihe generally left vital information on an assignment on the personal datapads of his Watchers. And that fact chagrined many of his Watchers even more than his cocksure view towards his own decisions. Too cocksure by half, they called him. He thought it an understatement.

Ultimately, he grew weary of listening, and rose, dismissed the Watchers with a wave of his hand, and moved to speak with his operators.

Ahearn did his research quickly, locating where the ship had gone down, and being ready, saw no reason to stay around. Straightening up his clothes one last time, and readying himself, he left his room, spine straight, and walking calmly, posture perfect to the bay where the Jilanth's where kept.

He looked around for someone to clear his takeoff with.

As Ahearn sought clearance to watch, a group of three operatives dashed towards his shuttle. All of them relatively new, at least two of them military trained, by their appearance. Somewhat clumsily, they assembled into a semi-straight line, and in almost-unison, bowed their heads.

"Ahearn de Cadman. By order of Suwahara Takihe we are to accompany your expedition as support should covert operations move south. Offering suggestion that we remain north?"

A joke, or perhaps complete idiocy. It was really quite difficult to say.

Ahearn looked at him for a few seconds, "I'll take that under consideration, let's be on first name basis, and you have the advantage of me. Whereas I'll have the advantage of you in the boarding of the Jilanth." Which he did, "And may I also inquire who believes themselves to have the pre-eminent piloting ability?"

"Errm... I am Jiro." The man who introduced them spoke again. "This is Khalen and that is Masad." He seemed almost unsure that that was the intention. Behind him, Khalen was struggling to avoid breaking into laughter. Jiro was apparently a self-appointed spokesmen, and at least one of his 'charges' found his performance less than commendable.

Khalen spoke next. "...if Jiro is done stuttering like a trained ape, I'll just say that I am fully proficient in the operation of Jilanth, and most other shuttles."

The three boarded the shuttle in quick file. Fresh recruits, at least one of them nothing short of a moron. Takihe's love of Ahearn grew more obvious by the second.

"We brought weapons." Khalen commented, passing to Ahearn a 'Liberator'. A preferred weapon of Nairan: dirt cheap and highly effective against non-bioweapon opponents.

Ahearn took the firearm, and made a pretence of looking over it, and studying its craftsmanship, "I commend you for being armed, and your generosity and for-sight of providing me with one, but as you may have observed, I carry my own armaments." Ahearn said smoothly, handing back the gun, butt first as politeness demanded, and gesturing at his brace of pistols. "Unless there is some matter which presses upon your conscience that it needs to be discussed before we abscond, if Khalen would take the helm and fly us to the planet which believes beneath us, in as covert a fashion as you are capable, and we shall begin to search diligently for those comrades which we have mislaid.â€

Charz was late, he was always late. He ran to the hanger as fast as he could, his speed honed from years of being chased by something, or someone. He ran into the hanger where the Jilanth was kept. He was in no standard uniform, a pair of worker's coveralls, and a bright blue Hawaiian shirt, with various bright floral patterns. He was a Geshrin, and short for one, barely 5'11â€

(Charz. You'll need to edit your post. I didnt post this JP earlier because I was hoping to continue it, but the shuttle has already left - and Charz was never supposed to be onboard Helgaiden to begin with. In my PM I explained he should meet them planetside with a seperate Jilanth, under orders of Aetheling Suiko Heike. Thank you.

Alternately, we can simply assume he was onboard the shuttle and Khalen refused to give up the controls. If that works better for you. >_>)

ON: Funky City; Nepleslia

Khalen expertly guided the shuttle to land - an abandoned crossways in the alleys, deep in the slums. Safe? Perhaps not. But less likely to be noted by authorities. "...everything seems clear..." He began the shutdown sequences for the vessel. "We are roughly one-half kilometer north of the crash site. Doubtless, Tanaka and Mikawa are no longer there." He said nothing more, simply rose, and quickly checked over both his weapons for ammunition, and proper functioning. He seemed just a bit on edge, as did Jiro. Masad was strangely calm, said nothing, just awaited orders.

"Alright, we should perhaps discuss a plan before we alight from the shuttle. It has been a considerable passage of time since our unfortunate comrades found their way here, and most likely they have gone on to pastures new, as Khalen suggested. Thus this should be an information gathering endeavour, as we inquire of the good citizens of Funky City anything they know of the crash. Does anyone have any ideas which they wish to contribute at this stage of the proceedings?â€

"Agreed. Well upon that note, I believe that the most sensible and strategicaly sound course of action would be to split up, both in order to maximise the effect of our numbers, and in order to not intimidate those who would otherwise give us the information we seek. Jiro, given your apparent knowladge of the weaponary they were carying, perhaps you will take the central role in that line of inquiry. I will integrate myself into the social life of the bars of this forsaken city and ask around for clues on the where-a-bouts of our companions." Ahearn paused to breathe, "Does anyone have any more contributions, complaints, or simple wishes of good luck and of a happy future?"

ON: Funky City, Nepleslia

"Agreed. Well upon that note, I believe that the most sensible and strategicaly sound course of action would be to split up, both in order to maximise the effect of our numbers, and in order to not intimidate those who would otherwise give us the information we seek. Jiro, given your apparent knowladge of the weaponary they were carying, perhaps you will take the central role in that line of inquiry. I will integrate myself into the social life of the bars of this forsaken city and ask around for clues on the where-a-bouts of our companions." Ahearn paused to breathe, "Does anyone have any more contributions, complaints, or simple wishes of good luck and of a happy future?"

Jiro gave a quick nod. "...I'll check into pawn shops and munitions dealers in the area, see if there has been any report of one of Janus' guns... especially the GP." He did not await further orders, simply gave one more looking-over to his weapons, and took to the streets.

Khalen raised a brow. "...I'll stay with the shuttle, and contact you if anything goes wrong here. We can't lose our mode of transit..." Which was a point to take note of, certainly. Masad was silent, but after a moment he followed after Jiro. It was more his line of expertise, for certain, than to be working in social environs - even uncouth social environs like Nepleslia offered in endless droves. He was no diplomatic operative, just a military man with a bit of a score to settle.

"That sounds like a most cordial arangement. Well I wish you the best my brothers in arms, as we ride in to the breach of social degradation and overwhelming tetosterone." Ahearn sniffed, turned sharply and strolled down the street swinging his cane light heartedly.

Ahearn would have no difficulty finding all manner of bars and public houses - the issue would rest more in choosing which cesspool to throw himself into. Dressed and outfitted like a Geshrin dandy as he was, he did draw a fair number of illicit glances, and some mockery from larger passersby. Nothing terribly violent, though. Picking fights may happen now and again on Nepleslia, but it was certainly less of a constant than some would like to think.

Ahearn lent on his cane and stared at one of the slightly cleaner bars. If nothing else this was a place to start and he sighed, "The levels to which duty forces me to descend to." He pushed the door open slowly with his cane and descended within.

As Ahearn entered the bar, apparently entitled 'The Vulger Neko Public House', (though a malfunction of the sign caused it, instead, to read Pub ic house...) he would note a rather crowded atmosphere, poorly lit, overheated and heavy with the stench of more sorts of hard liquor than one would easily be able to identify. A greasy man manned the bar, hair slicked back with a pungent pomade, and there were a number of people gambling in one corner over an unfamiliar game of cards. The volume of the place was also notable, with almost fifty voices competing over eachother constantly.

Wincing for a moment at the attack on his senses Ahearn quickly rallied himself and strode over to the bar before coughing loudly for attention, "My good man, could I have a shot of whisky and your ear for a minute."

At the coughing, the bartender looked up, and lumbered to his new customer. "Ach, so you wants whiskey anna ear? Kin give yah both, fer a few coins... single-malt awright?" He spoke almost as though his mouth were stuffed with cotton, barely enunciating enough to be understood. That, and his breath stank. Badly. It was comparable to anaerobic decomposition in a plugged drain...

Ahearn blinked several times in a reflex action to get over the smell, "That will do fine." He slipped his fingers in to a top finger and withdrew a few coins, "Now would you perchance have heard of two strangers, Yamataian in garb, build and accent, appearing around here in the last few weeks? One man and one woman."

Glancing over the coins, the barkeeper shook his head lightly. "...seen some waht was looking Yamataian, but naw a woman 'mongst them. Never two ahther." He set to writiing up a receipt for Ahearn. Which, with little inspection, would reveal an address and a name written just beneath the price. Everett T. Elsemund, the name read. Interesting thing... "...sorry tah wass yer time." He poured the shot of whiskey, and set to his other customers.

Ahearn inclined his head in a gesture that could be read very differently by different people depending on their position in the room, "It is of no importance, I thank you for the drink." Ahearn drank the glass he was provided slowly and giving the tiniest of bows to the bartender proceeded out of the bar.

ON: Vampire-class "Loki", Nepleslian Orbit

"Good evening, Melodia." Suiko crossed her arms as the Elysian made his appearance on the bridge. Melodia did that sometimes, and it never much bothered her. He usually had a fair knowledge of the reality about them, and his insights were generally appreciated. "...was there something I could help you with?"

Melodia smiled. "Yes, Aetheling. There are teams being sent to Nepleslia to recover Mikawa and Tanaka, are there not?" He gave a slight inclination of his head out of respect, he did greatly respect his Aetheling. She had shown him a path to justice that noone else could have offered.

"There are, yes." Suiko looked back to her terminal, inspecting the lacking reports returned insofar. "...Takihe thinks his Watcher has a lead, and one of my teams found where they pawned Kaane's weapons. A pity, I'd have liked to use them with my training... boy had some fine weaponry."

"I want to help the operation." It was the boldest thing Melodia had said in some time. He had never been very prone to questioning assignments from Aethelings (though he had a long record of undermining the authority of Watchers). "With the next team you send down."

"...you aren't exactly inconspicuous on Nepleslia, Mel. The wings and gold skin just don't look Nepleslian."

"I know that. We don't need to be inconspicuous."

"And what brought about that conclusion?" Suiko was genuinely amused by his statement.

"If we find them, it will be a matter of yanking them out quickly and fleeing. They're slightly wanted on Nepleslia, after the beautiful framing job with the towers." Melodia spoke in a very collected tone. "If we don't find them, inconspicuous action still won't be terribly necessary, since we're all kinds of likely to need to gun our way out anyway. And I can gun my way out of things better than any of the operatives you dropped planetside, Aetheling."

Laying a hand to the back of her head, Suiko relented. "You've a point. My final squad launches in two hours. Equip yourself, and meet with them. I expect a good report, Mel."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back