• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

NAM EM-5 PDW

Kevyn

Inactive Member
NAMPDWhanddrawn.jpg

Producer Information:

Designer: Micah Davis
Manufacturer: NAM
(Suggested) Price: 750ks.
Spare Components:
Magazine: 30ks.
Barrel: 75ks.

Nomenclature Information:

Name: NAM EM-5 PDW
Type: Projectile
Model: EM-5
Role: Second Line Service Weapon
Layout: Bullpup
Length: 710 mm. Barrel: 450 mm
Weight: 4.30 kg loaded

Discharge Information:

Ammo Type: Solid
Firing Mechanism: Electronic
Caliber: 9x39mm
Effective Range: 500 meters
Maximum Range: around 750 meters
Minimum Range: none
Muzzle Velocity: 940 m/s
Muzzle Blast: Light.
Rate of Fire: 800 rounds per minute.
Firing Mode(s): Semi automatic, three round burst, fully automatic.
Recoil: Medium recoil.

Ammo Description:

Name: 9x39mm L1 and 9x39mm L2
General Description:
L1: All lead boat tail bullet. Anti-Personnel round.
L2: 7.62mm lead bullet with a tungsten core. L1 cartridge necked down to 7.62mm. Armor piercing round.
Ammo: 30 round box magazine.

Weapon Mechanisms:

Safety: Grip Safety
Fire mode selector: Four position fire selector: Safe, Semi, 3, Auto
Weapon Sight: Iron Sights.
Attachment Hard points: None

Field Maintenance Procedure:

Clear and safe weapon.
Remove magazine.
Open top of receiver.
Remove spring.
Remove gas tube.
Remove barrel.
Clean cleaned removed components.
Replace components.
Replace magazine.

History:

Prior to YE 30, the SMDIM did not have a weapon for second line forces. As these forces, due to the nature of their jobs, do not usually operate with powered armor, standard issue weapons are problematic to adapt. Side arms are largely ineffective against combatants in even unpowered armor, and as such the lighter weapons in the NAM arsenal were likewise ineffective.

In light of this, a new weapon entered development, a short bullpup with a powerful nine-millimeter round. An additional model of round, the L2, was developed midway through the design phase, using the same propellant charge but a much smaller bullet for improved armor penetration.

The weapon has been through five different models in design, hence the current designation Experimental Model 5. It is in final development and is about to be begin the first phase of issue.

Re: NAM M22 PDW

Who did the art?

I believe that it is sufficiently altered from the original artwork to avoid any issues. To be safe, I'll sight the artist in the wiki article and claim fair use. Just don't stick it on anything that you're planning on selling.

That's just it — we might sell the whole thing at some point. Wes might, that is.

It has to be original artwork. No exceptions, last I checked.

If I were to draw it by hand using the images as reference, would it still be a problem?

Also, could it not be redrawn at time of theoretical publishing? Not to do others a disservice, but there's going to be a great deal of redrawing and initial drawing when, and if, that rolls around.

Wes needs to make a ruling on this then. I'm just going off what I know, which is all art has to be completely original.

You can use other stuff for inspiration but don't trace copyrighted material.

Okey dokey, a little late for this one, but now it's time for a Nep Tech Assessment.

Do we need this?
- It's another gun...we don't particularly *NEED* it, but it wouldn't hurt to have it. People make new guns everyday, after all. However, as I have said before Kevyn, we do not use weapons of such...restraint, during actual combat. This gun could possibly only see use in non-powered-armor combat (which Nepleslia isn't exactly famous for).

Do we want this?
- Not desperately, but new guns do make our gunwhores happy on occasion, so we're happy to accept them if they are acceptable. Good art helps.

Can we make this?
- If there's one thing Nepleslia can do, it's make a good gun.

Summary:

The Nepleslia GMs approve this weapon to continue through the approval process.

Any updates, Kevyn?

Let me know when you are ready for final review,or if you don't plan to continue with this.

Alright, added a hand drawn version below the digital one. You can pick which one you want attached to the article, 'cause either way it'll have to be redrawn if it's ever put in a sourcebook.

And for the record, no that is not a tracing. It's drawn by eye from source photos of a Tavor and an L22, with a AUG thrown it to taste. They're the same photos that I photo shopped, incidentally.

Feel free to review and approve or disapprove.

It looks the exact same as the image you altered, just hand drawn instead. Wes will have to look at it again, but that wouldn't fly in my book.

I figured as much. Catch is, that's how I see the gun. I used different visual references for it, and drew it by them, but in the end I still had that mental image influencing my work. That's half the reason it took so long for me to draw up an image, I wanted it to look as close to my original idea as possible.

The original copyrights were on the artwork used, not the visual shape of the guns drawn. And as the recent troubles with the Mexican FX-05 have shown, the original manufactures of the real steels don't hold copyrights on the look of their weapons, only the mechanism.

For reference, in addition to the initial image, I used the following photo references:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/aug_s.jpg
http://world.guns.ru/assault/sa80-l22a1.jpg
http://world.guns.ru/assault/type95-1.jpg

All © Max R. Popenker

RPG-D RPGfix
Back